Sean Payton to be Broncos Head Coach

Broncos72

Broncos traded their 2023 first round pick (from MIA via SF) and a 2024 second round pick to the Saints for the rights to Sean Payton and a 2024 third round pick back from NO.

• Haha 1

So when's Denver's next first round pick - in 2050?  These all smack of moves made by inexperienced owners.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Procus said:

So when's Denver's next first round pick - in 2050?  These all smack of moves made by inexperienced owners.

They have their 2024 first round pick and onward.

The owners weren't around when the GM George Paton made the trade for Wilson last March. The new owners officially bought the team in July. Can't fault the new owners for that.

This is a move that is around getting as much out of Wilson over the next couple of years. Pairing Wilson with a first time head coach was a disaster. I think they felt an established and accomplished coach was their best bet to salvage what they can.

Honestly, there is talk in Denver about whether the future of the GM Paton is in doubt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Denver is a joke.

7 years running now...

As for me, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see an improvement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

FB_IMG_1675226633269.jpg

Well, I've been there every step of the way...the good, the bad and the ugly.

*sigh* Let's ride.....🙄

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Houston just hired Ryans

I guess we are stuck with Gannon

We always were he said he isn't going anywhere after the niners game. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Overrated. 

How so? 

Not saying he's a legenday coach by any means, but he's been a very good head coach.

2 hours ago, Broncos72 said:

How so? 

Not saying he's a legenday coach by any means, but he's been a very good head coach when he had Drew Brees.

FYP  

1 hour ago, paco said:

FYP  

No you didn't. 

Payton is still a good head coach. He took over the Saints who were a doormat franchise and got them to be a perennial winning team. Drew Brees has also credited him with being a big reason he was able to  take his career to heights he did.

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/news/quarterback-drew-brees-found-his-ideal-coach-in-sean-payton

• Like 1

Who else would you put on your short list to see if you can salvage anything from what looks to be a horrible trade for Wilson.

I mean, sure, go ahead and hire another rookie head coach and see if Wilson will be any better....or double down, get a known commodity like Payton and ride 'em hard.

I think this move makes a lot of sense for everyone involved.  I really couldn't have argued for a better outcome for Denver....AND Ne Orleans, although the 1st round pick will be at the bottom of the order.

I think this is a bad bad move (again) by the Broncos. It is their way of doubling down on the Wilson pick. And I guess they kind of have to do that? Like they have to exhaust this one to try and make it work. 

But that's not a great roster and they are empty of significant picks to go and build up that roster. And I'm not sure Payton is turning that team around. He will improve them no doubt but he's not going to make them contenders. 

• Like 1

Well you can't cut Wilson.  So what do you do?  Which coach would be better?

They have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball.  When the defense is playing over 40 minutes a game, the stats won't look good.

I think with that Wilson trade, they went in for a penny, now they gotta go in for the pound.  This is absolutely what they had to do.  If this doesn't work out, they can blow up the team and start over from scratch, but they aren't in a position to do that next year.

Meh. Good luck 72. I don’t think this hiring improves the Broncos too much. Especially in that Division.

Side bar — Your team needs new uni’s. You’re stuck in the 90’s/early 2000’s. 

On 1/31/2023 at 6:44 PM, Procus said:

The first round pick was this year's 29th overall from trading an expiring contract Bradley Chubb. Its not exactly franchise altering.

Denver has a really good D and fell apart on offense because Hackett was one of the worst coaches in NFL history.

They scored 55 points in 2 games vs a SB team and a 10 win team (soft 10 wins but still 10 wins) after they fired that clown.

Wilson had 505 yards passing 4 TDs 2 picks for a 96.5 rating and another 45 rushing and 2 run TDs after the clown left town.

That's 4292 yards 34 TDs 17 picks 96..5 rating and 382 rushing with 17 TDs over a 17 game season.

Denver will be fine.

12 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Meh. Good luck 72. I don’t think this hiring improves the Broncos too much. Especially in that Division.

Side bar — Your team needs new uni’s. You’re stuck in the 90’s/early 2000’s. 

My expectations are tempered. I think the Broncos will be improved but there is work to do. We have a lot of key players coming back from serious injuries and our OL is a mess. I also expect a slow start. Even with an experienced coach like Payton, it will take time for things to click. And like you said, the division is a challenge.

This year will answer some big questions, mostly about Wilson.

The good thing is, after 2023, the Broncos can get out of some contracts to free up space, they will have their 1st round pick in 2024. Also, I had heard something along the lines of if the salary cap goes up, I think there is an outside chance they could have enough flexability to possibly move on from Wilson with a post June 1st cut designation in 2024 if he is a bust again in 2023. It would still be a substantial hit against the cap and that would a desperate move to make but one that could possibly happen if it gets that bad. I had heard that on a Broncos Insiders podcast the other day but I have to dig into that a little more to see if that's accurate.

And  I agree about the uniforms. Time for a change. I, personally, like our color rush uniforms, although I'd like to go back to the royal blue instead of navy blue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The first round pick was this year's 29th overall from trading an expiring contract Bradley Chubb. Its not exactly franchise altering.

Denver has a really good D and fell apart on offense because Hackett was one of the worst coaches in NFL history.

They scored 55 points in 2 games vs a SB team and a 10 win team (soft 10 wins but still 10 wins) after they fired that clown.

Wilson had 505 yards passing 4 TDs 2 picks for a 96.5 rating and another 45 rushing and 2 run TDs after the clown left town.

That's 4292 yards 34 TDs 17 picks 96..5 rating and 382 rushing with 17 TDs over a 17 game season.

Denver will be fine.

Make no mistake, Wilson played poorly and made a lot of bad decisions, but there were so many other problems outside of the QB.

Hackett was just incompetent as a head coach. As a new coach, with an inexperienced staff and new QB, he didn't play starters in the pre-season to build any chemistry. His clock management was so bad, I think even Andy Reid offered advice. He was a coach who openly admitted to constantly second guessing himself, he was always buddy-buddy with the players. They liked him but did not respect him. And he did nothing during the embarrassing Christmas day loss when the Broncos players were fighting amongst themselves. 

And like you said, in 2 games, with an interim coach, who was out of the league going into the season, and was hired to manage the game clock, got the Broncos to play the most competent football they did all year.

Throw in the Broncos ownership being in flux since Bowlen stepped down until now with the new owners taking over, and this organization has been a mess for years. At least now, we have leadership to hold people accountable whereas lately, it's been a rudderless ship.

I think, and hope, Payton can improve this team, but it's going to take some time.

At best, maybe they'll compete for a wild card spot, likely the 6th or 7th seed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Feel sorry for Broncos fans

It's been rough since Super Bowl 50.

This is, by far, the worst stretch I've experienced as a Broncos fan.

The Broncos did not have back to back losing seasons for 46 years (1971-1972 to 2017-2018) and now have 6 in a row. We Broncos fans have had it fairly good. Yes, some major let downs is 5 Super Bowl and some crushing playoff losses (vs Jax in 1996 and Bal in 2012), but 3 Super Bowl titles in my life, so far, I really can't complain too much. Especially, when you look at franchises like Detroit, who have 1 playoff win since 1957. So, it really could be worse.

The last 6 years have been brutal though. Hoping to be a contender again soon.

This move reeks of desperation from the Broncos.  Broncos are starting to remind me of the early 2000s Redskins.  Wait until they make a big free agent splash by signing some old over the hill player for a gigantic contract. 

My only guess is that Sean Payton thinks he can do something to 'fix' Russ.  I honestly haven't watched Russ all that much (outside of the few pathetic Thursday night football performances), but his skills look significantly diminished.  He's not Drew Brees and I'm not even sure that he's Jameis Winston.  Good luck with that.

27 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

This move reeks of desperation from the Broncos.  Broncos are starting to remind me of the early 2000s Redskins.  Wait until they make a big free agent splash by signing some old over the hill player for a gigantic contract. 

My only guess is that Sean Payton thinks he can do something to 'fix' Russ.  I honestly haven't watched Russ all that much (outside of the few pathetic Thursday night football performances), but his skills look significantly diminished.  He's not Drew Brees and I'm not even sure that he's Jameis Winston.  Good luck with that.

This move to get Payton was absolutely to get Russ back on track. If he can't, I don't know what other coach could.

That said, the reports of his demise are greatly overblown. He is not washed physically. He still has a strong arm and he is still mobile enough to be a threat running.

His problem is ego and decision making. I think last year was a humbling time for him....and one I think he needed to re-evalute himself.

He did also deal with a shoulder injury most of the year. And the OL was bad. Some sacks were on Russ, but many were on the poor state of the OL, which we Broncos fans have been complaining about for years.

Still, he needs to play better, but he is capable from a physical skill standpoint. It's between the ears where the improvements must be made.

And there really is no comparison with this trade to Washington in the early 2000's. Russ was still having very good seaons in Seattle. Last year was a disaster in every way for the entire Broncos organization. I'd say the trade for Flacco in 2019 was more along those lines. 

• Like 1