Sean Payton to be Broncos Head Coach

Broncos72

18 minutes ago, Broncos72 said:

That said, the reports of his demise are greatly overblown. He is not washed physically. He still has a strong arm and he is still mobile enough to be a threat running.

For your sake, I hope that's true.  He's a Bronco for at least the next 3 seasons given that enormous contract and the dead cap that would be associated with letting him go.  

2 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

For your sake, I hope that's true.  He's a Bronco for at least the next 3 seasons given that enormous contract and the dead cap that would be associated with letting him go.  

Edit: Nevermind.  I misread.

Russ is McNabb right now. Still looked capable his last season with his former team, traded and was really, really bad. 

There were a lot of Brees/Wilson comparisons (mainly due to both being shorter QB's), it's not impossible for him to bounce back with Payton, but I don't think you're going to see Wilson be an All-Pro level QB. The Seahawks somehow did just fine with Geno freaking Smith at QB which means the system is pretty good and was able to maybe cover up a lot of his flaws that we saw this year in Denver. 

I'm just not going to write Wilson off yet. I still saw some good things at times last year to think there is a chance this may work.

I want to see how he plays with his  shoulder healed from the partially torn lat and with a head coach who knows what he's doing and has the stones to not let Wilson dictate what offense to run like Hackett did. And if Wilson will accept what he does best and not try to be something he's not.

An improved OL and competent run game would help too.

Like I said before, I am keeping my expectations reasonable. 

Just hoping for better football in Broncos Country. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I'll need to see a second bad year to write off Wilson.

I don't entirely disagree... But that roster isn't going to be much better next year given their lack of draft ammo.

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't entirely disagree... But that roster isn't going to be much better next year given their lack of draft ammo.

I think you can still tell, to an extent, if a guy can play on a bad roster.

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, HaroldJackson29 said:

They'll be in playoffs next year. 

New owners get rewarded with that in Short order.

You are funny Harold.

Well, things went to hell in hurry. That's why I kept my expectations tempered. I just had a feeling that things would not go the way I had hoped, especially after last year. Russ has played better than last year but that's not saying much considering how low the bar was.

At least we have 1st round pick next year and right now, we're on pace to be picking near the top.

Also think the Broncos could start trading away guys well before the trade deadline.

Already traded Randy Gregory. And read that teams have called about OT Bolles, WR Jeudy and Sutton, S Simmons and Edge Frank Clark.

As much as losing sucks, I'm all for a rebuild. Been putting it off for too long.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broncos72 said:

At least we have 1st round pick next year and right now, we're on pace to be picking near the top.

To get Payton, you guys swapped your 2nd for their 3rd round pick next year right?  If I got that right people here will be also rooting for the Saints to suck this year  since we get their second, which will help minimize the swap for you. 

Even if the season goes really bad for you guys, I hope you keep posting here.  We don’t get many AFC folks around here and you seem like a nice dude. Plus the Broncos arnt a rival so the loons here should go easy on you :lol: 

It's gonna be a long dark road for Broncos and Raiders.  Full rebuilds in a division where Mahomes is in his prime will not be fun.

14 hours ago, paco said:

To get Payton, you guys swapped your 2nd for their 3rd round pick next year right?  If I got that right people here will be also rooting for the Saints to suck this year  since we get their second, which will help minimize the swap for you. 

Even if the season goes really bad for you guys, I hope you keep posting here.  We don’t get many AFC folks around here and you seem like a nice dude. Plus the Broncos arnt a rival so the loons here should go easy on you :lol: 

Yes, the Saints got our 2nd rd pick and we got their 3rd in the trade for Payton.

So I'm rooting for them to lose too.

Our season is off the rails and that was the easiest part of our schedule, minus Miami.

Yeah, I'll be here for the long haul. I may not post as much at times, as I got a lot of chaotic things to deal with, but I'm not bailing. I enjoy it here. Its been good. Had a back and forth with someone a few days ago who felt the need to take an unprovoked jab but nothing I can't deal with. I come here being respectful.and don't look to start ish. But I am passionate and can get nasty when pushed....so I can relate to Eagles fanbase more at times than my felllow Broncos fans. They're definitely more mellow. Must be the recreational hobby that gives new meaning to Mile High....

By the way, hope Breece Hall helped you out on Sunday.👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It's gonna be a long dark road for Broncos and Raiders.  Full rebuilds in a division where Mahomes is in his prime will not be fun.

You ain't kidding. Herbert is pretty good too. Broncos and Raiders got their work cut out for them.

Both are in bad spots. Broncos can't unload Russ without taking a major cap hit and the Raiders are stuck with McDaniels....literally. They can't afford to fire him and pay him what he's owed...they are cash poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncos72 said:

By the way, hope Breece Hall helped you out on Sunday.👍

I cashed nicely.....

.... then blew most of that Monday night by 0.6 points <_<   (Really Doubs?  1 catch for 4 yards :furious: )

2 minutes ago, paco said:

I cashed nicely.....

.... then blew most of that Monday night by 0.6 points <_<   (Really Doubs?  1 catch for 4 yards :furious: )

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Packers really crapped the bed Monday night...Amber Heard style.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Broncos72 said:

Yeah, I'll be here for the long haul. I may not post as much at times, as I got a lot of chaotic things to deal with, but I'm not bailing. I enjoy it here. Its been good. Had a back and forth with someone a few days ago who felt the need to take an unprovoked jab but nothing I can't deal with. I come here being respectful.and don't look to start ish. But I am passionate and can get nasty when pushed....so I can relate to Eagles fanbase more at times than my felllow Broncos fans. They're definitely more mellow. Must be the recreational hobby that gives new meaning to Mile High....

I was at the Eagles - Broncos game in Denver in 2005 (and also 2013, both blowouts where Denver dropped 50+ on us) with a large philly group ran by phillytailgate.com (I think Mongo shut it down since) and I still remember our first interaction with Broncos fans.  We just got done unloading the pallet of beer from the U-haul and about a dozen of your fans roll on up. I'm thinking "Oh boy, here we go already". (In my experience, more often than not on road trips, they see Eagles eagles gear, people assume you are looking to start s)

Hey, you guys want to play 2 hand touch, Eagles fans vs Broncos fans?

So instead trash talking or worse, a football game broke out :lol:   (Broncos fans won because.... well, I blame the altitude)

18 minutes ago, paco said:

I was at the Eagles - Broncos game in Denver in 2005 (and also 2013, both blowouts where Denver dropped 50+ on us) with a large philly group ran by phillytailgate.com (I think Mongo shut it down since) and I still remember our first interaction with Broncos fans.  We just got done unloading the pallet of beer from the U-haul and about a dozen of your fans roll on up. I'm thinking "Oh boy, here we go already". (In my experience, more often than not on road trips, they see Eagles eagles gear, people assume you are looking to start s)

Hey, you guys want to play 2 hand touch, Eagles fans vs Broncos fans?

So instead trash talking or worse, a football game broke out :lol:   (Broncos fans won because.... well, I blame the altitude)

I'm glad it was a good experience...aside from the blowout losses but Eagles made up for it in 2017 and 2021. 

I went to the game at the Linc in 2017....what a beatdown. Some of my buddies who are Eagles fans felt sorry for me and went from smack talk to just pity...and it hasn't changed since because the Broncos have not gotten better. To them, its literally beating a dead horse (pun intended).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Panthers, Packers, Lions, Ravens?

As an aside, what the hell is Payton doing over there? Comes in and wants to jettison everyone. Feels like McDaniels part 2.

37 minutes ago, paco said:

Jeudy is coming up on the end of his rookie deal and I don't think the Broncos want to bring him back. Plus, they don't have the luxury of paying a WR a substantial contract given their limited cap space. In a lost season, this is simply the logical choice.

He has not lived up to being the 15th overall pick in 2020. Plus, Jeudy has been getting into twitter/X battles with former Broncos Rod Smith and Philip Lindsay. His head just isn't in it in Denver. A change is best for both.

Broncos are looking like they accepted its time to rebuild and are moving on while they can get the most they can. 

This was a move most Broncos fans expected at some point.

• Like 1