Christian Gonzalez (Oregon CB) -- DRAFTED BY NEW ENGLAND #17

pgcd3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, pgcd3 said:

Liking what I see from him pending combine

Gonzalez should do very well at the combine, conversely the peops will forget about Witherspoon's tape and will be concerned by his weight.

image.thumb.png.314fcea0df33e9b8248e2da5e47a12d2.png

If Witherspoon and Gonzalez are on the board. I take Witherspoon in a heartbeat. Witherspoon the only top 10 CB prospect in my opinion 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, philafan4o8 said:

If Witherspoon and Gonzalez are on the board. I take Witherspoon in a heartbeat. Witherspoon the only top 10 CB prospect in my opinion 

If Witherspoon is already gone, I'd grab Gonzalez without hesitation.  Then get an Edge at the end of the round and hope that Charbonnet is still there at the end of Round #2.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Gonzalez should do very well at the combine, conversely the peops will forget about Witherspoon's tape and will be concerned by his weight.

image.thumb.png.314fcea0df33e9b8248e2da5e47a12d2.png

A 2nd rounder on a C after having just taken a C in the 2nd last year?  I don't see it unless we're planning to play one at RG (assuming we let Seumalo walk which is definitely a possibility but I don't think a certainty).  

• Like 1

Didn't realize Gonzalez is only 20 years old as compared to 22 for Witherspoon. I think Witherspoon is the more finished product, but Gonzalez has the higher upside with his size and athleticism. I'd be happy with either at 10.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:49 AM, time2rock said:

A 2nd rounder on a C after having just taken a C in the 2nd last year?  I don't see it unless we're planning to play one at RG (assuming we let Seumalo walk which is definitely a possibility but I don't think a certainty).  

It’s essentially a Landon Dickerson comp, where he’s plugged in at G if both Kelce and Isaac move on.

EDIT: JM.Schmitz came in really light (301!) - I'm out. 

• Like 1

No thanks. Two rules for the draft: Take SEC players when they’re on the board and never draft from the PAC-12. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

No thanks. Two rules for the draft: Take SEC players when they’re on the board and never draft from the PAC-12. 

Lazy take

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Lazy take

Who's gonna tell him Nick Foles was from the Pac-12. I mean he was no Aaron Rodgers but still. :rolleyes:

On 3/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, judunno said:

Who's gonna tell him Nick Foles was from the Pac-12. I mean he was no Aaron Rodgers but still. :rolleyes:

Ok, and? Of course there are good players that come out of every conference, it’s about playing the percentages.

6 hours ago, nipples said:

Ok, and? Of course there are good players that come out of every conference, it’s about playing the percentages.

It should also be about avoiding the emotional prejudice in order to see the actual good prospect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

It should also be about avoiding the emotional prejudice in order to see the actual good prospect.

Yup. Gonzalez is a stud. I'm just not sure Howie likes drafting CBs high.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Gonzalez is CB1, would draft at 10.

Do you think they will though? I have my doubts. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you think they will though? I have my doubts. 

Normally I would say no as Howie prioritizes the lines, but considering we are about to lose both starting CBs, it's a lot more likely.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 6:30 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Normally I would say no as Howie prioritizes the lines, but considering we are about to lose both starting CBs, it's a lot more likely.

Oh for sure if they lose both then yeah I think there's a very good chance. Mind you if Slay does go then I think they'll bring back Bradberry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh for sure if they lose both then yeah I think there's a very good chance. Mind you if Slay does go then I think they'll bring back Bradberry. 

Ya and that would be a mistake. Slay is a better leader and still a better CB than Bradberry

7 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Ya and that would be a mistake. Slay is a better leader and still a better CB than Bradberry

See overall I’m not sure it would be a mistake though… I think it would be the better move in fact.

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See overall I’m not sure it would be a mistake though… I think it would be the better move in fact.

Bradberry had a fantastic season dont get me wrong but I would still prefer Slay. Slay was seeing most of the tougher match ups. Slay has been more consistent than Bradberry as well. I would prefer cheaper alternative like Murphy, Dean, or Murphy-Bunting. With a great pass rush, our margin for error is a little wider. Hard to spend that money at corner given the current state of D-Line

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Bradberry had a fantastic season dont get me wrong but I would still prefer Slay. Slay was seeing most of the tougher match ups. Slay has been more consistent than Bradberry as well. I would prefer cheaper alternative like Murphy, Dean, or Murphy-Bunting. With a great pass rush, our margin for error is a little wider. Hard to spend that money at corner given the current state of D-Line

I agree with your point to an extent. But I think Slay did decline as the year went by and he’s 32. He’s also going to cost a lot against the cap and at his age I don’t think a restructuring is a good idea. I’d prefer Bradberry, CJGJ or even Epps or another good S and a first round corner. I think that’s better now and for the future. Plus I’m not sure our pass rush is going to be as good. In fact I think it’ll take quite the step back.

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with your point to an extent. But I think Slay did decline as the year went by and he’s 32. He’s also going to cost a lot against the cap and at his age I don’t think a restructuring is a good idea. I’d prefer Bradberry, CJGJ or even Epps or another good S and a first round corner. I think that’s better now and for the future. Plus I’m not sure our pass rush is going to be as good. In fact I think it’ll take quite the step back.

I didn’t say restructure him. I think they leave his contract as is and tell him this is all they got. I know he wants more money but that ain’t in the cards. If they trade him so be it but I would call his bluff. But I am strongly against resigning Bradberry. I think they need to get younger at DB. Top priority should be CJGJ and a young CB in FA. This way they can still draft CB in 1st round because Slay will likely be gone this year or next. I think Bradberry’s best years are behind him tbh. Yes he had the best year of his career behind a historic line but I would not get caught up on that personally