Christian Gonzalez (Oregon CB) -- DRAFTED BY NEW ENGLAND #17

pgcd3

7 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I didn’t say restructure him. I think they leave his contract as is and tell him this is all they got. I know he wants more money but that ain’t in the cards. If they trade him so be it but I would call his bluff. But I am strongly against resigning Bradberry. I think they need to get younger at DB. Top priority should be CJGJ and a young CB in FA. This way they can still draft CB in 1st round because Slay will likely be gone this year or next. I think Bradberry’s best years are behind him tbh. Yes he had the best year of his career behind a historic line but I would not get caught up on that personally 

But my point is the current cap hit for Slay is too high. He wants more money but even if they left him where he is that’s still a huge hit. They can save quite a lot of cap by cutting or trading him post June 1.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But my point is the current cap hit for Slay is too high. He wants more money but even if they left him where he is that’s still a huge hit. They can save quite a lot of cap by cutting or trading him post June 1.

I personally don’t think it’s too high. If you look at the top corner contracts and cap hits, Slays contract is a deal for the most part. If they want out then I guess let him go or trade him but that is a big loss for this team given he is a voted captain and leader of that defense. I think if would be a really bad move but I trust Howie

4 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I personally don’t think it’s too high. If you look at the top corner contracts and cap hits, Slays contract is a deal for the most part. If they want out then I guess let him go or trade him but that is a big loss for this team given he is a voted captain and leader of that defense. I think if would be a really bad move but I trust Howie

His cap hit in 2023 is $26M.  The next closest is Marlon Humphrey at $19.9M.  So yeah, his hit is high.  

Even if we were to keep both Slay and Bradberry - which we won't do - I would still want to see us taking one of the top two CBs with the #10.

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

His cap hit is huge dude and he wants more money. At his age and the position he pays I think it would be a mistake to keep him. And I say that as a huge Slay fan but we’ve got to look to the long term here.

1 hour ago, ilikepargo said:

Even if we were to keep both Slay and Bradberry - which we won't do - I would still want to see us taking one of the top two CBs with the #10.

Well looks like Slay will be the one to go bud…

• 1 month later...