Carson done in Washington

DBW

There's a good chance he's done.  Carson's coming off of a mega contract.  Any deal he signs with a new team will pale in comparison.  He's set for life and doesn't need to return to the NFL.

Done in Philly. Done in Indianapolis. Done in Washington. I'm not sure any team should touch this guy at this point. And if they are going to do then should do so as a camp guy with a view to being a back up. 

I still think that he'll have a good chance at starting next year.  There are far too many teams looking for a starting QB (8-9 by my count) with 2 hot FAs and maybe 3 top tier draft picks.  While I don't think Caron is a good NFL QB, he's a perfectly average NFL starter.  In the right situation he'd probably even put up good numbers.

12 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

He sucks. No one wants him.

You say that, but you're only half right.  He does suck, but I still think he'll start next year.  One possibility is the Bucs.  They are something like $59 million over the cap and Kyle Trask is the best QB on their roster.  If Carson would sign a short term 'prove it' deal, it's a lock the Bucs would sign him.

10 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

You say that, but you're only half right.  He does suck, but I still think he'll start next year.  One possibility is the Bucs.  They are something like $59 million over the cap and Kyle Trask is the best QB on their roster.  If Carson would sign a short term 'prove it' deal, it's a lock the Bucs would sign him.

He had chances with Colts and Skins. He is done and washed up. Bucs entire division is going to have jobber QBs and Bowles will get fired anyway so they probably prefer to tank.

It's like some of you have forgotten McCown (9 teams) and Fitzpatrick (9 teams). Even if a team doesn't see him as a starter at this point, his experience alone makes him a valuable backup. His career passer rating is 89.3. He may not be liked by some people here, but he's far from "done." His career didn't turn out like he hoped, I'm sure, but QBs today can play into their late 30s. He still can chase his dreams. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's like some of you have forgotten McCown (9 teams) and Fitzpatrick (9 teams). Even if a team doesn't see him as a starter at this point, his experience alone makes him a valuable backup. His career passer rating is 89.3. He may not be liked by some people here, but he's far from "done." His career didn't turn out like he hoped, I'm sure, but QBs today can play into their late 30s. He still can chase his dreams. 

The difference is that the numbers are skewed from earlier success.  He's been in a steady decline after the playoff loss to Seattle.  And the other thing is that he may not be willing to take a huge pay cut.  Carson is financially set for life right now.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:08 AM, brkmsn said:

Difference is those players you mentioned were able to mentor younger QBs.  (I can't believe you used Fitzpatrick...he's the definition of someone you'd want to teach the game) 

Carson is not capable of doing that.  He has nothing to teach.  He hasn't developed anything that would be attractive for an owner to want to pass on to a younger QB....just bad habits and attitude.

There are plenty of other QBs you can hire to do that.

5 hours ago, Vee said:

Difference is those players you mentioned were able to mentor younger QBs.  (I can't believe you used Fitzpatrick...he's the definition of someone you'd want to teach the game) 

Carson is not capable of doing that.  He has nothing to teach.  He hasn't developed anything that would be attractive for an owner to want to pass on to a younger QB....just bad habits and attitude.

There are plenty of other QBs you can hire to do that.

How would you or I know what Carson will become or if he'll be able to do this or that. As for as his "attitude," I have yet to see anybody say anything negative about it, with the exception of a few jilted fans. Even the anonymous source only said he didn't check down enough. Personally, I don't put much stock in the character assassination attempts some around here get involved in. He didn't work out for the Eagles. He didn't work out for the colts or the team in Washington. He's now looking for a role and seems to understand that the role might be to do things you claim he can't do. Everything else is pure conjecture.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

How would you or I know what Carson will become or if he'll be able to do this or that. As for as his "attitude," I have yet to see anybody say anything negative about it, with the exception of a few jilted fans. Even the anonymous source only said he didn't check down enough. Personally, I don't put much stock in the character assassination attempts some around here get involved in. He didn't work out for the Eagles. He didn't work out for the colts or the team in Washington. He's now looking for a role and seems to understand that the role might be to do things you claim he can't do. Everything else is pure conjecture.

I guess we'll find out then...

Haven't seen a starting QB wear out a welcome with three teams so quickly before...

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any interest from anyone yet (that's been reported)?

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Has there been any interest from anyone yet (that's been reported)?

Not that I can think of. I’m sure a team will bring him in for another chance but it won’t be as a likely starter. At this point I think teams realise who and what he is. He’s not a great locker room guy and he’s nowhere near good enough to get away with that.

On 3/19/2023 at 4:11 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not that I can think of. I’m sure a team will bring him in for another chance but it won’t be as a likely starter. At this point I think teams realise who and what he is. He’s not a great locker room guy and he’s nowhere near good enough to get away with that.

So why even bring that in?  If he's not gonna help develop others, there's really no purpose in paying money for that.

I'm not surprised.  I suppose when injuries roll in, or if camp arms are needed, he might get a call, but the money will be at the veteran minimum.  We'll see if he's even interested in getting out of bed for that.  He's made enough money.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:23 AM, brkmsn said:

C'mon man,  his numbers in Indy were not great yardage wise but his passer rating was 90+ and he had 27 TD's to 7 picks, but Jim Irsay wanted no more to do with him and said trading for him was 'a mistake', what do you think that was because of?

The Commanders don't want him in the building and so far look to be going with Sam Howell with Jacoby Brissett 'competing', I assume we both agree that Brissett is, all things being equal, an inferior QB talent in comparison with Wentz, so why is that?

Even now to me his potential performance ceiling is way in excess of guys like Mayfield and arguably Garopollo but no one is even hinting about offering a chance to compete for a starting job, hell he's not even being talked about as back up and based on his numbers alone that doesn't make a lick of sense given people like Darnold, Mariota and Case Keenum are all signed for next season.

There's literally no way there are so many widespread rumors that a guy is an entitled dick who refuses to take responsibility if there wasn't at least a grain of truth in it, he'd have ex teammates jumping to his defense all over the place.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

C'mon man,  his numbers in Indy were not great yardage wise but his passer rating was 90+ and he had 27 TD's to 7 picks, but Jim Irsay wanted no more to do with him and said trading for him was 'a mistake', what do you think that was because of?

The Commanders don't want him in the building and so far look to be going with Sam Howell with Jacoby Brissett 'competing', I assume we both agree that Brissett is, all things being equal, an inferior QB talent in comparison with Wentz, so why is that?

Even now to me his potential performance ceiling is way in excess of guys like Mayfield and arguably Garopollo but no one is even hinting about offering a chance to compete for a starting job, hell he's not even being talked about as back up and based on his numbers alone that doesn't make a lick of sense given people like Darnold, Mariota and Case Keenum are all signed for next season.

There's literally no way there are so many widespread rumors that a guy is an entitled dick who refuses to take responsibility if there wasn't at least a grain of truth in it, he'd have ex teammates jumping to his defense all over the place.

You should have underlined where I said it is pure conjecture.

Commanders star Jonathan Allen flamed the rumors that Carson Wentz is a poor leader and teammate.

"Yeah, I have absolutely no idea where that comes from. Sometimes I feel like the NFL can be like a high school,” Allen told Audacy’s 106.7 The Fan on Tuesday. “[It’s] Like a high school. There’s so much drama and just rumors and things that just quite frankly aren’t true. I mean, I have no idea where that could be coming from.”

"After he throws those two interceptions, quick memory, positive on the sideline, no pouting. I mean, I think you can just look at the guys around him and see how they respond to him and that tells you everything you need to know about his character.”

"We played with some locker room cancers. The guy is a good dude, he's got things to work on," Long said of Wentz.

"Like you said, he's not a locker room cancer. We played with him and that's not it," Jenkins said.

So what went wrong?

"When he first got to Philly, he didn't have to be a leader, right. We allowed him to just stay in your corner and worry about being a rookie quarterback. That really allowed Carson to just grow of in a pot, per se," Jenkins said.

"If anything, he's a little shy. You'd like to see him reach out more to the other corner of the locker room and that sort of thing," Long said.

Long and Jenkins believe the contrast in personality between Wentz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles stunted his growth.

"It's not his fault that Nick Foles is just this guy with crazy magnetism. He's not the greatest quarterback of all time, but he did do those things where he was like a really social dude," Long said.

And the lack of communication extended outside the locker room.

"When you don't handle something and something bubbles and spills over, then you give them the right to write your story without your narrative in it and I think that's really – we've missed Carson's voice in this whole discussion," Jenkins said.

And as for reports that Wentz was resistant to coaching: "He's not the only quarterback who is stubborn, but this has existed as this extreme conversation when he's got things to fix, but I don't ever remember thinking, 'What an [expletive],'" Long said.

"No, never," Jenkins said.

---------------------------------------------------

"He was a great friend and a great teammate while he was in Philadelphia. It’s a bit of a quandary. I want Carson to play well, and I want him to do well, but I certainly don’t want him to play well on Sunday, and I want him to lose.” --- Jason Kelce

-------------------------------------------------------

Still, Wentz has taken command of the offense. And one of his teammates told reporters this week that people probably don’t know just how competitive Wentz is.

"No matter what it is, he wants to be the best,” linebacker Darius Leonard said on Thursday. "It’s a small thing that he does. You see it in Hard Knocks when JT [Taylor] runs a little swing route, he tells JT, ‘Run it like this.’ It’s just the small things that he wants to be great at and I just feel like in the offseason, that’s where it started at, him being a leader. Whenever we couldn’t meet together, he’s got the guys on the outside throwing balls and everything, trying to be the best version of themselves.

"It’s just like, when your back’s against the wall and nobody believes in you, you want to be the best guy on the field to shut the critics up and I think that’s what he’s trying to do and I think that he’s doing a good job at it.”