Survivor Season 44

VaBeach_Eagle

I thought I'd made a 44 thread after 43 ended, but I guess I didn't. 

This season feels like it’s going to be a giant mess, and frankly I am okay with that. 

• Haha 1

Can someone explain to me what the strategy was for not one, but two people using the "shot in the dark" on the first night?  Isn't that a one time thing that is no longer an option for them?  And don't get me started on voting out the biggest/strongest person on the first night either...so dumb.

The blonde lady seems like a bit of a whack a doodle, guessing she'll be around for awhile.  The confessional part at the top of the show was interesting.

Medical staff earned their pay this season...

1 hour ago, Gern Blanston said:

Can someone explain to me what the strategy was for not one, but two people using the "shot in the dark" on the first night?  Isn't that a one time thing that is no longer an option for them?  And don't get me started on voting out the biggest/strongest person on the first night either...so dumb.

Probably because they knew that the guy they were going to vote for had an idol and there was a chance he could use it. They had no idea who he'd be voting for so it would be completely random as to who might go home. I guess they didn't feel comfortable with that since the tribe is so small to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gern Blanston said:

The blonde lady seems like a bit of a whack a doodle, guessing she'll be around for awhile.  The confessional part at the top of the show was interesting.

Medical staff earned their pay this season...

So I don’t think Brandon plays his idol if one no one played a shot in the dark. I think that spooked him and caused him to play it just in case.  For Jaime, I have no idea why she did it. She just seems like a jumpy player who let her paranoia get the best of her. 

Matthew is a far more interesting player. I think he played the Shot in the dark because he didn’t want to vote for Brandon and reveal his hand. He could play up that his injury made him nervous they’d vote him out as a liability, but by not voting he doesn’t piss off either group. If the Brandon stays, he never voted for him and they can move forward like they planned. If Brandon goes home, he can say he was going to vote for Brandon with the majority. 

• Like 1

So it looks like Matthew did use the SITD to avoid showing his hand.  Which I think was the right play.  Puts Kane on the bottom and gets him tighter with Brandon.  

Another solid episode.  The edit when everyone was "reading body language" was hysterical.  Man these players are not good, but it makes for some enjoyable messy gameplay. 

This fake idol nonsense is getting out of hand.

Does anyone else have a suspicion that that dippy Carolyn actually kept the fake idol and planted the real one by mistake?

13 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Does anyone else have a suspicion that that dippy Carolyn actually kept the fake idol and planted the real one by mistake?

She didn't.  Every tribe's real idol looks like the other tribe's fake idol.   But I agree with your early point.  I hate that Production put 3 fake idols in play.  If a contestant wants to MAKE a fake idol and put it in the cage great. But this seems like forced game play from the producers to make "great moments." 

There does seem to be a ton of idols out there particularly pre merge.  What would happen in the event of a tribe of 3-4 players where everyone plays an idol?  I know Cirie got booted once because she was the only one without one.

Carolyn is so whacky, she equally annoys and fascinates me.  The fact that they cold opened the season with her talking to the producers on camera makes me think she's going deep into this game.

Carolyn might be my favorite player of all-time. Her facial expressions are the best.

• Like 1

As bizarre as she is, you gotta admit that Carolyn is certainly entertaining. And I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I’m sort of rooting for her at this point.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

As bizarre as she is, you gotta admit that Carolyn is certainly entertaining. And I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I’m sort of rooting for her at this point.

She is far more astute of a player than she gets credit for.   And she’s a source of some of the best comedy on the show. Her sitting between the bromance of Danny and Brandon was hysterical!

She may be getting one of the biggest story focuses on a season since Russell Hantz in Samoa, which suggests she may go very far in this game. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Two-time 'Survivor' contestant Keith Nale dies at 62

Keith Nale, a beloved fan-favorite who appeared on two seasons of 'Survivor', has died at the age of 62 following a battle with cancer.

Nale's son, Wes, told ET Online, "He passed away this afternoon. He'd been battling cancer for the past few months, and we found out about it in January." 

"A life taken way too soon!" Nale's brother, Kevin, told the outlet. "It happened so quickly. Cancer ate him up. He Passed this afternoon at his home in Shreveport, Louisiana."

Prior to appearing on ‘Survivor,’ Nale worked as a fire captain and paramedic in Shreveport, Louisiana. 

Keith Nale during the special 90-minute season premiere of Survivor, Wednesday, Sept. 23.

Keith Nale during the special 90-minute season premiere of Survivor, Wednesday, Sept. 23. (Monty Brinton/CBS via Getty Images)

He first competed on 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur', the show's 29th season.

Nale managed to make it all the way to the final four during that season in 2014.

The fan-favorite returned in to compete on 'Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance', the show's 31st season, which aired in 2015.

On his second time around, Nale was eliminated just two days before the Final Tribal Council.

Keith Nale during the thirteenth episode of Survivor, Wednesday, Dec. 9.

Keith Nale during the thirteenth episode of Survivor, Wednesday, Dec. 9. (CBS via Getty Images)

Nale's former co-star Kelley Wentworth also confirmed the news on Twitter, sharing her condolences with the family.  

"Keith – a man with the purest heart, who brought humor into moments where it was needed most," Wentworth wrote on Tuesday, "I’m grateful I had the opportunity to meet Keith & share memories together on the beaches of Nicaragua & Cambodia. My heart is with the entire Nale family. This is a devastating loss."

Another co-star on the series, Jeremy Collins, tweeted, "My condolences to the Big D, Wes, Austin and entire Nale family. You will be missed Keith, but your legacy will live on. Rest in power my firefighter/survivor brother."

Keith Nale and Kelley Wentworth during the two-hour season finale of Survivor, Wednesday, Dec. 16.

Keith Nale and Kelley Wentworth during the two-hour season finale of Survivor, Wednesday, Dec. 16. (CBS via Getty Images)

‘Survivor’ fans took to social media to reminisce about their favorite on-screen Nale moments and share their condolences with Nale's family.

"I used to say I could watch Keith Nale play EVERY season of Survivor. He was entertaining and seemed to have an incredible heart," one user wrote in a Twitter post. "#RIPKeithNale. Survivor Legend."

"I’ll always advocate for how fantastic of a player he was," another fan wrote. "My condolences to his family and the greater Survivor community. RIP King."

• Sad 2

Always liked Keith. Definitely felt like he was one of the most genuine contestants to ever play. Cancer sucks!

On 3/25/2023 at 12:39 AM, schuy7 said:

Carolyn might be my favorite player of all-time. Her facial expressions are the best.

I keep wanting her to last longer because she's so entertaining. Jam Jam as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Always liked Keith. Definitely felt like he was one of the most genuine contestants to ever play. Cancer sucks!

His son, Wes, who was on Blood vs. Water with Keith, played football for Doug Pederson when Doug was a H.S. coach. 

Dear Jeff,

Good things happen when you let the cast play the game.  This was the best tribal of the season. More of this please.

the Fans

• Like 1

I wonder if it was the editing or did Justin and Yam Yam vote that way to preserve some sort of neutrality?  Seemed like they were in on it.

9 minutes ago, Gern Blanston said:

I wonder if it was the editing or did Justin and Yam Yam vote that way to preserve some sort of neutrality?  Seemed like they were in on it.

Do you mean Carson?  If so, 100% believe that was the play.  If they were really voting with the other side they would have told them about the idol.  They didn't and let it happen, because that's what they wanted to happen.  Meanwhile, Carolyn voted with the minority to prevent a 3-3 vote split and to further obscure that the three of them are working together.  Honestly, it was a brilliant move. 

• Like 2

LOL - I was close, Justin/Carson, so many names and faces over the years...  Should have just said this seasons young nerdy fan boy player...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe that I'm actually rooting for Carolyn at this point. She's quite skillful at reading people.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I can't believe that I'm actually rooting for Carolyn at this point. She's quite skillful at reading people.

Some one on reddit made a point that I think makes surprising sense.  Specifically, everyone on this season seems to have terrible reads which is highlighted by how every time someone tells the truth, its immediately considered a blatant lie.  Jamie lost her idol? Lie.  Heidi voted for Danny? Lie. 

The only one who hasn't been shown to have a terrible read is Carolyn.  It's usually the opposite, where she spots the B.S. a mile away. Like tonight, she sniffed out the vote against Carson very quickly.  

This is the point made by a redditor.  Carolyn's job as a drug counselor may be the best training she could have had for this show as she may be used to people lying to her.  She has one of the best B.S. radar's I've seen on this show in a while.  That, coupled with her experience playing online survivor so she's familiar with the subterfuge style misdirects, she's just incredibly entuned to what is going on. 

• Like 3

Her facial expressions alone make her compelling enough that she will be a Rupert/Sandra/Boston Rob style All Star for the next decade...

The remaining players best be shuffling her off to the jury pronto.  I don't see any of the non Tica Tribe winning this.  Its either her, Yam-Yam or Carson...