Lamar Jackson

700Level4Life

If you're running the Colts, do you trade/sign a guy, yet again for the possible answer at QB, or do you say screw it and build with one of these QBs coming out this year. 

I read that Indy may be interested in Lamar Jackson..

Ever since Luck it's been Rivers, Wentz, Ryan...Lamar at this stage in his career is better than those guys were, and probably better than anyone in this draft. It's interesting to follow along with. 

1 hour ago, 700Level4Life said:

If you're running the Colts, do you trade/sign a guy, yet again for the possible answer at QB, or do you say screw it and build with one of these QBs coming out this year. 

I read that Indy may be interested in Lamar Jackson..

Ever since Luck it's been Rivers, Wentz, Ryan...Lamar at this stage in his career is better than those guys were, and probably better than anyone in this draft. It's interesting to follow along with. 

Nope can't stay on the field and is terrible in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Probably the second greatest running quarterback in history. Exciting as hell when he’s running around out there. But he doesn’t throw well, gets injured a lot, has gotten worse over the past couple of years, demands an insane amount of money, and would require a lot in terms of a trade. Yeah, I don’t think I’m interested.

• Like 4

If I'm the Colts I wouldn't be interested. His style doesn't lend itself to a long career so he may only have a few years left. And I'm not sure that's a roster that's ready to be a legit contender right now. Build through the draft. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Probably the second greatest running quarterback in history. Exciting as hell when he’s running around out there. But he doesn’t throw well, gets injured a lot, has gotten worse over the past couple of years, demands an insane amount of money, and would require a lot in terms of a trade. Yeah, I don’t think I’m interested.

I think he's underrated as thrower but he still requires a certain type of offense.  This is really about a player who wants to break the market with no agent.  Add to that he doesn't fit everywhere, add to that a lot of teams view him like a RB with a lot of tread and add to that he's an odd duck who also missed several games for not getting vaccinated.

I'm still waiting though for all those pundits who have been trashing Baltimore (one of the best run franchises hands down) for not paying Lamar.  The Ravens have been right all along and its pathetic to watch the talking heads refuse to admit how badly they had this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If I'm the Colts I wouldn't be interested. His style doesn't lend itself to a long career so he may only have a few years left. And I'm not sure that's a roster that's ready to be a legit contender right now. Build through the draft. 

It doesn't make sense for a team that's about to enter phase 1 rebuild.  Even a team like the Falcons has way too many roster holes to address to go all in on Lamar.  The one team I really though had the roster and the owner to do it was Carolina but they decided to go get the #1 pick and draft thier guy.

• Like 2

Just now, dawkins4prez said:

It doesn't make sense for a team that's about to enter phase 1 rebuild.  Even a team like the Falcons has way too many roster holes to address to go all in on Lamar.  The one team I really though had the roster and the owner to do it was Carolina but they decided to go get the #1 pick and draft thier guy.

Yeah I'd agree with that. 2-3 years ago I'd have maybe said yeah that's a good move for Indy but not now. Too much work to do on that roster. 

• Like 1

I'd say no. Colts are not ready to contend, even in a weak AFC South. They tried going with the 'win now with a vet QB' approach for 3 years in a row and they have gotten worse.

They'd be better off drafting a rookie and building the roster.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Broncos72 said:

I'd say no. Colts are not ready to contend, even in a weak AFC South. They tried going with the 'win now with a vet QB' approach for 3 years in a row and they have gotten worse.

They'd be better off drafting a rookie and building the roster.

They're 3 best players are a RB, a Guard and an off ball LB.  All 3 showing wear.  Blow that ish up!

I'm not sure it's because he doesn't have a normal agent (his mom is his agent). His style needs a specific offense and he can't stay healthy. Add onto that his MVP was years ago now and he's declined since then

On 3/11/2023 at 9:32 AM, dawkins4prez said:

I think he's underrated as thrower but he still requires a certain type of offense.  This is really about a player who wants to break the market with no agent.  Add to that he doesn't fit everywhere, add to that a lot of teams view him like a RB with a lot of tread and add to that he's an odd duck who also missed several games for not getting vaccinated.

I'm still waiting though for all those pundits who have been trashing Baltimore (one of the best run franchises hands down) for not paying Lamar.  The Ravens have been right all along and its pathetic to watch the talking heads refuse to admit how badly they had this.

Yikes, you nailed it! First time dawk. 😉

The ravens have been trying to sign him to a new deal but he seems hellbent on it being fully guaranteed, which isn’t something the ravens are willing to do, at least at the number he reportedly wants.

I’ve heard it several times that the ravens as a franchise aren’t a team that will offer a contract at any cost, and given how the origination has run over the years, it’s a wise policy.

There is also the fact he doesn’t have an agent, which I feel if he did, then the communication between him and the team may have been better. I don’t think that helped.

And yes there is the injury history and him not being able to stay on the field, and a team wants some certainty if paying out big money, and the recent history isn’t positive for Lamar on that front. 

Lamar Jackson famously does not have an agent. His mom serves as his business manager. I'd like to think if he had an agent they would come to terms and agree on a compromise deal. But I don't think his communication with the team has soured.... Jackson wants a long-term guaranteed deal. He won't settle for less. Team management disagrees, doesn't think it is prudent, but they realize they have a really talented QB that is important to the team. I think they are in a perpetual stalemate. The Ravens will continue to franchise him unless they find a trade partner.

Lamar is a special player. He's got a lot of similarity to Hurts, only he's much faster when running with the ball. Lamar is the fastest guy on the field. The Ravens are worse than the Eagles drafting WRs and  they decided against paying top-dollar to improve there, so his passing numbers suck. So the Ravens settled on a run-oriented offense. I suppose Lamar may not be plug-and-play for most teams at QB; you need to design an offense around his rare ability. But once he's going he is hard to stop. All said, it's a unique situation and the Ravens are content to let the market dictate his contract.

• Like 1

It's kind of sad seeing Lamar in the middle of a meltdown.  Hire an agent you moron!

He's hard to value because for all his obvious talent, outside '19 and '20 the production doesn't really justify what he's asking for, and even in an incredible 2019 he crashed and burned in the big games, and he's never managed to play a full season since. 

He's another guy who's overestimated his market and is in danger of overplaying his hand, you can see why he wants a guaranteed deal, but the Browns are alone in being dumb enough to hand Watson that contract and it pissed the other 31 owners off, it just isn't going to happen.

I still think he ends up in Baltimore, but if he refuses to play under a tag, god knows where this ends for him.

Last year, the NFL specifically instructed teams not to negotiate with representatives not certified by the NFLPA, when Saint Omni was allegedly contacting teams on behalf of then-Bears linebacker Roquan Smith.

"Clubs are reminded that, under Article 48 of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, Player Contracts may only be negotiated with the player, if he is acting on his own behalf, or with the player’s NFLPA certified agent,” the August 2022 memo explained.

We’re told that the NFLPA is aware of the situation. It’s unclear whether the league was. It now is, if anyone at 345 Park Avenue (hello) is reading these words.

When Lamar Jackson quit on the Ravens last year I wondered if bringing him back could ever be an option.

I don’t blame either side. This circumstances just made this seem inevitable.

He’s not nearly as good as he seems to think he is.

• Like 1

I just read that Jim Isray wants him. Interesting. I still wouldn't do it, but for whatever reason, the Colts want to do the quick fix at QB. 

I doubt Irsay bites.  Got burned with Wentz and Ryan.  Even Rivers was just so so.  With the high slotted pick this year, there will be a rookie for the team to draft, and they hired the right coach to develop him.

As for Lamar - what a fool.  He's a former MVP who was in line for a HUGE payday.  Instead, he got greedy and stupid - decided not to hire an agent and gave details of negotiations on social media.  He made himself radioactive, when all he to do was zip it and let his agent negotiate a good deal.  We saw how CJGJ hurt his value with much less egregious remarks on social media.  Imagine how teams view a guy who would be the face of their franchise pulling that.  Can you blame any team for staying away?  If I was running a team in need of a QB, I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

• Like 1

My prediction for how this gets resolved still stands.  I've stood by the Ravens the entire time and it's hilarious to watch the media backtrack now.  But there is and always has been a way for the Lamar Jackson to save face and funny enough the answer resides in Philly.  When the Jalen Hurts contract gets done the Ravens can come back to Lamar and offer exactly $1 more than Hurts gets.  That's the domino that has to fall for this drama to end.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:01 AM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Wait, what?  In history?  Does that extend past COVID?

Who you have at #1?  Wilson?  Young?  Elway?

4 hours ago, Vee said:

Wait, what?  In history?  Does that extend past COVID?

Who you have at #1?  Wilson?  Young?  Elway?

The quarterback who was the greatest at running with the football was obviously Michael Vick. He was far and away better than anyone else until Jackson came along. Jackson is the only one who remotely compares...as a runner.