Selecting at 10 is not an option

weko

So we may lose 7 starters on defense.  Yes we have a lot of picks a year from now.  Might get two comp 3s and two 4s or a 4 and a 5.  But that doesn't help us

field a team next year.  It is possible we could lose all 4 starters in the defensive backfield our middle line backer both DT starters and 2 DT contributors.

That's 9 defenders.  Thankfully we have the 10th selection in the draft.  We could trade down twice with that pick and acquire a 2,3 & 4 or 5 and trade down from 30 and pick up a 3 or high 4.

We need to do that.  The best value is always in the 2nd and early 3rd rounds.  You get pro bowlers in the 2nd round at a steep discount in salary to the 1st round.  And with our strapped cap situation

we don't need to pay 1st round money this year.  We need cheaper players who can play and that's the 2nd round to mid 3rd with good selections hopefully through round 5 who can make the

roster.  We need...1 DE, 2 DTs, 2 CBs, 2 Ss, RB, slot WR, swing OT, back up OG/C for starters.  We need 4-5 more picks in the first 5 rounds.

We need multiple trade downs

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

19 minutes ago, weko said:

So we may lose 7 starters on defense.  Yes we have a lot of picks a year from now.  Might get two comp 3s and two 4s or a 4 and a 5.  But that doesn't help us

field a team next year.  It is possible we could lose all 4 starters in the defensive backfield our middle line backer both DT starters and 2 DT contributors.

That's 9 defenders.  Thankfully we have the 10th selection in the draft.  We could trade down twice with that pick and acquire a 2,3 & 4 or 5 and trade down from 30 and pick up a 3 or high 4.

We need to do that.  The best value is always in the 2nd and early 3rd rounds.  You get pro bowlers in the 2nd round at a steep discount in salary to the 1st round.  And with our strapped cap situation

we don't need to pay 1st round money this year.  We need cheaper players who can play and that's the 2nd round to mid 3rd with good selections hopefully through round 5 who can make the

roster.  We need...1 DE, 2 DTs, 2 CBs, 2 Ss, RB, slot WR, swing OT, back up OG/C for starters.  We need 4-5 more picks in the first 5 rounds.

5th year options matter. Take a stud at 10 and do whatever with 30.

• Like 1

From today's 411...we have 54.7 mil in dead money this year from dummy contract extensions.  That's 10 mil more than the 2nd worst dead money team.

We have kicked and kicked the can down the road and this is the end of the road.  We have to go cheap this year.  If we make room to sign one of our free agents

we will have limited resources left to pay draft picks.  Basically we are out of money and have maxed out our credit cards.  Time to cut them up and pay down some debt.

That means lots of picks rounds 2-5 to fill holes cheaply

2 hours ago, weko said:

You get pro bowlers in the 2nd round at a steep discount in salary to the 1st round.  And with our strapped cap situation

You also lose the 5th year option and need to pay more to the pro bowler sooner than a first round draft pick. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, weko said:

From today's 411...we have 54.7 mil in dead money this year from dummy contract extensions.  That's 10 mil more than the 2nd worst dead money team.

We have kicked and kicked the can down the road and this is the end of the road.  We have to go cheap this year.  If we make room to sign one of our free agents

we will have limited resources left to pay draft picks.  Basically we are out of money and have maxed out our credit cards.  Time to cut them up and pay down some debt.

I fail to understand why people still have a problem with the kicking the can down the road strategy.  Howie has proven that he can effectively navigate his way out of a mess made from employing that tactic.  That strategy led to a Super Bowl appearance twice!), so how can anyone complain?  It's just a shame we couldn't seal the deal this past season.  And it seems he has learned a lesson from 2017-2018 when he overpaid aging vets thinking to keep the band together and take advantage of a wide open window - thus far (still early) he doesn't appear to be following the same blueprint.  This may be an important season in being able to reset the cap and fill out the roster with players on vet minimum contracts and then when the cap is in better shape next year and armed with a slew of picks (8 of our own plus likely 4 decent comp picks for a total of 12) we reload and make another run to a title.  

• Like 10

Clueless remark.  You have a much higher chance of hitting on a draft pick if it's in the top 10.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, weko said:

Basically we are out of money and have maxed out our credit cards. 

We're not "out of money".  We have some maneuvering to do vis a vis the cap.  I remember people complaining when we have a lot of cap room.  Many called the team brass "cheap"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Procus said:

We're not "out of money".  We have some maneuvering to do vis a vis the cap.  I remember people complaining when we have a lot of cap room.  Many called the team brass "cheap"

You can bet something will be done with Slay's contract to give some cap relief.  His cap hit in 2023 is $26M ... they'll figure out a way to adjust that.  It's obvious the process started - that is what led to the team granting him permission to seek a trade (more a method for him to gauge his worth in an attempt to lower his expectations so as to come to a more reasonable middle ground).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weko said:

This couldn’t be further from the truth

• Like 2

1st of all, wtf is wrong with the timing of your enter button? 

2nd.. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you think Howie isn't already planning for 2024 or even 2025, I feel bad for you. He doesn't live season to season, he's 2 or 3 steps ahead. Until he totally screws up, he deserves all the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

1st of all, wtf is wrong with the timing of your enter button? 

2nd.. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you think Howie isn't already planning for 2024 or even 2025, I feel bad for you. He doesn't live season to season, he's 2 or 3 steps ahead. Until he totally screws up, he deserves all the benefit of the doubt. 

I remember last year....we weren't doing anything, and we couldn't do anything because of our cap situation!  The Eagles MB knows WAAAAYYYYYY more than Howie!  Look, I don't like some of his past draft picks......but when it comes to the cap, I'm not even going to pretend to have even a smidge of understanding that Howie and the Eagles do.  Like Porty said, when they do something, they are looking 1, 2, 3 years out understanding exactly what that move means.  We all knew we were going to have a slew of Free Agents and most of them leaving, I don't understand the shock and consternation of what is happening.  

And if Jalen Carter is there at 10, you do not trade back.  If they feel Witherspoon or another DB is a lock down, shut down corner, you do not trade back.  If they feel that what is there at 10 isn't any better than what is there at 15, 16, etc and they can get great value, you trade back.  Jesus, some of you make my crazy girlfriend the week before that time of the month seem calm!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weko said:

I’d rather draft for quality over quantity. Would you draft two mediocre players or one stud? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I’d rather draft for quality over quantity. Would you draft two mediocre players or one stud? 

Depends on how many holes need filling... damn that came out wrong... wait... damn it

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think there's an outside chance Howie trades back from 10...but likely only a moderate trade back like a 2-3 slots.  That said, chances are they stick and pick.  Much will depend on who's there at 10.  We do know that Howie has stated in the past that he likes drafting in the top half of Round 1...easier to identify and hit on players vs. back half of Round 1 where the miss rate increases greatly (for Howie, at least).  

I will say that, at this point, picking at 10 might be somewhat of no man's land this year.  If the first 9 picks play out like this: the 4 QBs, Anderson, Wilson, Carter, Witherspoon, and Gonzalez...and this very well may happen....who are we picking at 10?  Murphy? Bresee? Kancy?  Or an OL like Johnson, Skoronski or Jones?  The argument could be made that none of those guys are really head and shoulders above the other, which could lead to a trade down.

• Like 3

Howie will be wheeling and dealing on draft weekend......they don't have any 4th, 5th or 6th round picks and i just can't see Howie not picking up some picks by trading down or trading a player or two.

That #10 pick is valuable and if a QB drops, he could parlay that into additional picks and MAYBE pick up another 1st or 2nd next year.

He has a couple contracts he could restructure too to sign a FA.......plus we all know how well he does with those 1 year contracts.

The eagles have a big challenge ahead next year with new coordinators and position coaches. But the offense is unchanged and may add more talent in the draft.  But most of the focus in FA and the draft will be defensively.  

Howie can be a wizard with the cap.....and good FAs usually are available for those 1 year deals.   

You aren't filling in all the starters this year from draft picks. They will sign players. I'm sure there will be trades in the draft regardless but you don't draft guys expecting immediate day one starters beyond your pick at 10

• Like 2

6 hours ago, weko said:

It is possible we could lose all 4 starters in the defensive backfield our middle line backer both DT starters and 2 DT contributors.

Life isn't over if we have to start McPhearson, Jobe, Wallace and Blankenship. We also have Dean to replace Edwards and Williams and Davis are ready for increased roles. 

While I'm not opposed to moving down to get a couple more picks, I don't feel they should give up a chance to get a player they really like. Every year, there will be some late moves that teams make that opens up an opportunity for us to add a player or two that can help for cheap. We also are looking at getting a few comp picks next year, so we'll have another season to retool through the draft. 

After not having our defense show up in the Super Bowl, I'm really not all that heartbroken seeing us save money there. We could have had the same result (in that game) with our 2nd team defense. 

• Like 1

Yes it is.

Especially Howie's track record after the top 15 is horrible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Clueless remark.  You have a much higher chance of hitting on a draft pick if it's in the top 10.

Especially when 4 of them will be QBs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes it is.

Especially Howie's track record after the top 15 is horrible. 

That’s why I hope for a trade UP from 30 with some of next years picks depending on the board around 20-24. But last year maybe Howie has shifted and will take the clear BPA again

7 hours ago, weko said:

Howie has stated in the past that they believe to get an impact player one needs to draft in top 15, after that it drops off 

I think he'll draft at 10 then try to trade out of 30 for more picks, that 10 pick though he values.

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Life isn't over if we have to start McPhearson, Jobe, Wallace and Blankenship. We also have Dean to replace Edwards and Williams and Davis are ready for increased roles. 

While I'm not opposed to moving down to get a couple more picks, I don't feel they should give up a chance to get a player they really like. Every year, there will be some late moves that teams make that opens up an opportunity for us to add a player or two that can help for cheap. We also are looking at getting a few comp picks next year, so we'll have another season to retool through the draft. 

After not having our defense show up in the Super Bowl, I'm really not all that heartbroken seeing us save money there. We could have had the same result (in that game) with our 2nd team defense. 

I agree. Next year is the year we add best player available and begin to reload. We have that number 10 spot so we can use it on a best player who is also a position of need. I dont see us running it back next year, but 2024 is gonna be fun. I want this team to develop into a stable contender, and losing players is a part of that process. Look no further than the Chiefs

21 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Howie has stated in the past that they believe to get an impact player one needs to draft in top 15, after that it drops off 

I think he'll draft at 10 then try to trade out of 30 for more picks, that 10 pick though he values.

I don't mind trading back a few spots to pick up an additional mid round pick or something.  But yeah looking at his picks in the back half of round 1 is cringe.

• Like 1

I'd rather they just don't overthink it, take best CB available at 10 and if they want to trade down from 30 a bit fine.

• Like 4