UDFA Thread

pgcd3

11 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

So we haven't signed White but rather extended an invitation for him to attend mini camp and potentially offer him a contract after getting a better look at him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

LB and RS are a bit on the thin side.  Need more UDFAs there to fill the pipeline and hopefully find someone for the roster. 

Smith is listed as LB, but he is more a DE/rusher,  Keep him on what he does best.

A creative DC will move him all over the place.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:08 AM, jsdarkstar said:

Eli Ricks

Philadelphia is signing Alabama CB Eli Ricks as a UDFA
🦅 ZERO TDs allowed in coverage last season (233 coverage snaps)
May be an image of 1 person, playing football and text

I was really hoping Ricks would work out at Bama, but he had the injury bug. He came into Bama from LSU injured,  then got injured in fall camp. He only played in 5 games at Alabama, and didn't play his first game until 10/22.

He should have listened to literally everyone who told him to  come back for another year to up his draft stock, but he hated going to classes and wanted noting to do with going to them. I wish him nothing but the best, he has an incredible upside and if he can stay healthy can be great CB. He certainly has the body and the arms to be a superstar! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bamabird said:

I was really hoping Ricks would work out at Bama, but he had the injury bug. He came into Bama from LSU injured,  then got injured in fall camp. He only played in 5 games at Alabama, and didn't play his first game until 10/22.

He should have listened to literally everyone who told him to  come back for another year to up his draft stock, but he hated going to classes and wanted noting to do with going to them. I wish him nothing but the best, he has an incredible upside and if he can stay healthy can be great CB. He certainly has the body and the arms to be a superstar! 

The Good News is that he doesn't have to come in and be the starter right away. I expect he will contribute in Dime packages and special teams to start.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Odd one, spent 4 years putting up solid but unspectacular numbers in the FCS with Missouri State then moved to FBS for his last year of eligibility with Hawaii and had all of ten catches for 70 yards, his pro day testing numbers don't scream raw freak athlete either. Hard to believe he's among the best out there.

After future hall of famer and 10 time Super Bowl champ Carson Strong washed out last year, I've resigned to the fact that UDFA's weren't drafted for a reason. Welcome to all the new rookies. Glad they are here but they got work to do to become a name around my household.

1 hour ago, Vileborg said:

After future hall of famer and 10 time Super Bowl champ Carson Strong washed out last year, I've resigned to the fact that UDFA's weren't drafted for a reason. Welcome to all the new rookies. Glad they are here but they got work to do to become a name around my household.

Washed out??? Hah, I'll have you know Carson Strong is currently back up QB for the Michigan Panthers.

Genuinely would love to know the full story of how his star fell so quickly, he was at least comparable to someone like Sam Howell, his numbers and accuracy in college should've earned him at least a comfortable project / back up / #3 shot for a year or two, I assume it's chronic injury rather than him being a gigantic a-hole, but there must be an article for a sports magazine there to clear it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

At this time of year people get hyped up about draft picks and UDFA, partly because it's the slow part of the offseason waiting for them to get on the field.  Also partly because there have been some gems that went undrafted and became quality players, even some great players.  There's always the hope.

I think another reason is those that follow college closely (I don't), like some of these players and thought they would be good picks in the 6th or 7th round and now they're available to be signed, and worth taking a chance on.  

A more realistic approach is to realize it's a chance to see what comes of these guys, maybe some depth, maybe some practice squad guys, some future development.  If you happen to find that gem who becomes a solid contributor or even a starter some day that is a great bonus.  

Howie in his PC last week talked about how they really get excited about the prospects of UDFAs themselves in the organization for that reason.  It's also incredibly low risk and then if they don't work out you cut them.  It's also some fun for the fans to watch development of these players and wonder "what if?"

I'll take the AJ Green comparison. Big possession receiver, but is slow AF.

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/nfl/eagles-land-free-agent-receiver-who-was-once-compared-to-a-j-green/article_6cf12d24-0d9e-5670-9b07-aaa41ae3138d.html

The NFL Draft wrapped up Saturday, but the Philadelphia Eagles just keep killing it this weekend.

Because, honestly, the Birds have been bringing in a pretty, darned promising crop of undrafted rookie free agents. For instance, the team has reportedly signed Arkansas receiver Jadon Haselwood, who caught 59 passes for 702 yards last season.

Haselwood has size, too, coming in at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds.

4 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

I'll take the AJ Green comparison. Big possession receiver, but is slow AF.

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/nfl/eagles-land-free-agent-receiver-who-was-once-compared-to-a-j-green/article_6cf12d24-0d9e-5670-9b07-aaa41ae3138d.html

The NFL Draft wrapped up Saturday, but the Philadelphia Eagles just keep killing it this weekend.

Because, honestly, the Birds have been bringing in a pretty, darned promising crop of undrafted rookie free agents. For instance, the team has reportedly signed Arkansas receiver Jadon Haselwood, who caught 59 passes for 702 yards last season.

Haselwood has size, too, coming in at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds.

What's crazy is I remember watching this guy play because of the blonde locks lol. Telecaster was hyping him as the next greatest thing. Wasn't even drafted.

9 hours ago, judunno said:

What's crazy is I remember watching this guy play because of the blonde locks lol. Telecaster was hyping him as the next greatest thing. Wasn't even drafted.

Sometimes a college receiver can look incredible and never gets near making it as a pro. I remember watching Mardy Gilyard at Cincinatti for a few games in 2009/10, made All American as Returner and WR, I thought he was nailed on to make it at the next level, he was scouted to go mid second day and I thought he would be a decent pick up, ended up going to either the Rams or the Chargers in the 4th, didn't last a year, ended up with us as a kick returner for a few months in 2012, went through a few teams in the NFL , then CFL and never lasted more than a year, couldn't catch a cold in anything other than Arena football.

Howie is receiving a lot of praise for the UDFA haul, especially with Ricks and Garner, two of the top rated corners available. 

Love that our Secondary is becoming a strength of the defense again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Howie is receiving a lot of praise for the UDFA haul, especially with Ricks and Garner, two of the top rated corners available. 

Love that our Secondary is becoming a strength of the defense again. 

Throw some of the other younger CBs we added recently (Jobe, Goodrich, even Williams and McPhearson) ... it is nice to have a range of players to develop and hopefully 1-2 turn out to be legit starters down the line when we'll need them (likely in 2-3 years). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Throw some of the other younger CBs we added recently (Jobe, Goodrich, even Williams and McPhearson) ... it is nice to have a range of players to develop and hopefully 1-2 turn out to be legit starters down the line when we'll need them (likely in 2-3 years). 

I love the starters but was very concerned about depth. Now I feel a lot better about that.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I love the starters but was very concerned about depth. Now I feel a lot better about that.

The depth on this team is pretty solid outside of LB and a WR.  It's never going to be perfect replacements especially when you have good starters but overall solid

• Like 2

Eagles sign Veteran TE Dan Arnold. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-veteran-te-dan-arnold-agree-terms-1-year-deal

The team and veteran Dan Arnold agreed to terms of a one-year deal, a league source confirmed to NBC Sports Philadelphia. ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported the deal.

Arnold, 28, entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2017 and has carved out a decent career. His best season came with the Cardinals in 2020, when he caught 31 passes for 438 yards and 4 touchdowns.

In 2022, Arnold (6-6, 240) played all 17 games with the Jaguars. He caught 9 passes for 135 yards. He played a total of 167 snaps (15%) in the regular season.

In Philly, Arnold will be competing for a job in a tight end room led by star Dallas Goedert. But after Goedert, the Eagles have questionable depth. They bring back the No. 2 Jack Stoll and the No. 3 Grant Calcaterra from last season’s roster in addition to Tyree Jackson, who has been with the Eagles for a couple seasons.

There’s no guarantee Arnold will make the Eagles’ 53-man roster but he’ll have a chance to compete for a job in training camp with Stoll, Calcaterra and Jackson.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Washed out??? Hah, I'll have you know Carson Strong is currently back up QB for the Michigan Panthers.

Genuinely would love to know the full story of how his star fell so quickly, he was at least comparable to someone like Sam Howell, his numbers and accuracy in college should've earned him at least a comfortable project / back up / #3 shot for a year or two, I assume it's chronic injury rather than him being a gigantic a-hole, but there must be an article for a sports magazine there to clear it up.

Breaking Down The Michigan Panthers 2023 USFL Roster (usflnewsroom.com)

Hyping the Strong QB room for 2023 USFL season.

"Strong has a rocket of an arm."

When is the USFL season anyway?

Seems like we’re singing a lot of players. Are these going to mini camp with a view to being on the Ps? Waive the rest? 

7 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Seems like we’re singing a lot of players. Are these going to mini camp with a view to being on the Ps? Waive the rest? 

We're not signing that many, if you look at any UDFA tracker we're pretty light, some teams look to be signing a second 53.

Seems like Okorafor went from a tryout to a signing.  Maybe some other team jumped in

3 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Seems pretty usual amount of UDFA players.  The view is always the same:  sign guys the scouts liked and you had on your board that didn't get drafted and see how far they go.  Obviously the primary goal is to find good players that make the roster.  If they don't, maybe they make the practice squad.  It's low risk and they can be cut if they don't work out.

• Like 1