Why i am not worried about "superbowl hangover"

opa-opa

1. We retooled and reloaded this team through youth and not overpaying for veteran free agents.

2. Even though we lost a few players, the true "heart" of both the offense and defense remained.

3. Our offense is actually better than last year. Our RB core seems primed for a huge season if they can stay healthy. 

4. No more Gannon. 

Could we have a down year? Could we not make it back to the SB? Yes of course but if it happens it will be due to bad luck or injuries, not because of how this team will perform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree with your point overall but I’m not sure that I agree with #3. I’m not sure that we did enough to make our offense better this year.

Sure I like the pick up of Penny and Swift but neither are as good as Sanders. And that isn’t to say Sanders was top level but I think he’s better than the 2 we brought in.

Seumalo has gone so there’s a question at RG. Again we have options but they aren’t proven in the NFL. And losing Dillard hurts us a little in terms of depth.

The big hope with the offense is that Hurts takes another step next year. And look that is entirely possible with him. 

• Confused 2

If the team stays healthy, I don't see an NFC team that's better than the Eagles. My expectations as a fan are extremely high for this team. I hope they meet them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with your point overall but I’m not sure that I agree with #3. I’m not sure that we did enough to make our offense better this year.

Sure I like the pick up of Penny and Swift but neither are as good as Sanders. And that isn’t to say Sanders was top level but I think he’s better than the 2 we brought in.

Seumalo has gone so there’s a question at RG. Again we have options but they aren’t proven in the NFL. And losing Dillard hurts us a little in terms of depth.

The big hope with the offense is that Hurts takes another step next year. And look that is entirely possible with him. 

TBH, I think Swift alone is better than Sanders. If you add Penny to the mix and (hopefully) an improved Gainwell, I do believe the RB room is way better.

• Like 5

I don't see a "hangover" in the sense of them not staying focused or having an off year.  They are hungry and have a chip on their shoulder after the SB loss.

But there are challenges and question marks that will make it a tough year:

1. Losing both coordinators - I like the replacements but you never know until you see the results
  2. Tougher schedule - from one of the easiest last year to one of the hardest this year
  3. Question marks at LB and safety after losing free agents
  4. The health of the RB group (everyone expects good things but always "if healthy")
  5. O line depth: Lane ain't getting younger and when he is out they have a losing record
  6. Media are hyping them up as the best roster in the NFL, picking to easily go to the SB again.  They need to stay focused and hungry
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, opa-opa said:

1. We retooled and reloaded this team through youth and not overpaying for veteran free agents.

2. Even though we lost a few players, the true "heart" of both the offense and defense remained.

3. Our offense is actually better than last year. Our RB core seems primed for a huge season if they can stay healthy. 

4. No more Gannon. 

Could we have a down year? Could we not make it back to the SB? Yes of course but if it happens it will be due to bad luck or injuries, not because of how this team will perform.

I generally agree with 1-4, but we lost more than just a few players in free agency. With the defense alone we lost a starting DT, two starting LBs, and two starting S. Not to mention losing out starting RG and RB on offense. While I think we've done an admirable job of filling those holes via FA/draft/trade with comparable and potentially better players, I think we still have big question marks at RG and LB. Not to mention going in with two new coordinators.

We're relying on a battle between a 2nd year former 2nd round pick center who wasn't really projected to be a versatile IOL versus a rookie LT with short arms learning how to play guard to fortify the RG spot. I'm optimistic that one of Jurgens/Steen plays well enough that the OL doesn't miss a beat, but that's asking for a lot. I think Nakobe Dean will be fine stepping into a starting role, but I think Nicholas Morrow is a clear downgrade from Kyzir White and T.J. Edwards.

Good news is that we have an advantage in the NFC at the most important position in the sport, QB. With Brady retired and Rodgers now on the Jets, there's a bigger drop off from Hurts to the next best QB in the NFC. That alone will help us, but I think our tough schedule along with the above means we'll be clawing our way to the playoffs instead of smooth sailing to a #1 overall seed.

All of that said, I do think we win the NFC again, but it might not be as a #1 seed.

Hot take: The Seahawks are going to a bigger threat to us from the NFC West than the 49ers. For whatever reason, the Eagles haven't been able to beat the Seahawks since they hired Pete Carroll, including both regular season and playoff games. They seem to have our number regardless of who our coach or QB is, and they had another great draft this year. Geno Smith has able to stay healthier than the 49ers stable of QBs and has a pretty solid group of skill position players to work with. 

• Like 1

Each of the last 3 times the Eagles have made the Super Bowl, the following season was clunky.  They failed to win the division each time.  The 2005 season was the T.O. wheels-falling-off season.  They did make the playoffs 2 of the 3 times...lost in the WC round in '81 and needed the "double doink" to survive the WC round in 2018 (though the next week was the infamous Alshon drop).  

Not that any of those seasons has any bearing on what will happen this year, but the odds are not in our favor.  It will be really interesting to see how this year's team performs...assuming average health and not losing a key players for substantial time.  I'm really curious just to see if this team keeps its focus and know that can't just show up on game day and expect a win without fighting tooth and nail every week.

• Sad 1

There's a group of elite teams that, in the current era, have a chance to contend for the title regularly:  KC, Cincy, Buffalo, San Fran and the Eagles.  There's no reason to think the Eagles won't continue to be among that group over the next several years. 

• Like 3

We have Jalen Hurts... Super Bowl hangover won't happen with him at the helm.

• Like 2

We didn't win.

That's why we're still hungry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

TBH, I think Swift alone is better than Sanders. If you add Penny to the mix and (hopefully) an improved Gainwell, I do believe the RB room is way better.

Hmm I’m not sure. I guess yeah overall the RB position may be better but you can’t rely on Penny to stay healthy. And as much as I like Swift Detroit were happy to offload him for not a lot.

• Like 1

The biggest if on the roster is DT, if Carter's college talent translates to the NFL then we are pretty well set, if the personality red flags turn out to be real then we'll struggle to get anywhere near Hargraves pass rush production and that's a foundation stone of our defense removed.

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2023 at 1:00 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm I’m not sure. I guess yeah overall the RB position may be better but you can’t rely on Penny to stay healthy. And as much as I like Swift Detroit were happy to offload him for not a lot.

The team that decided drafting the 2nd best RB at 12 moved on from Swift and you think their keen insight means Swift is bad?

• Like 1

How do you squat 605 lbs? By constantly working at your strength to get up to that level and maintaining it.

Oh noes! That does not fit the lazy narrative!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:37 AM, beto_eagles said:

I agree with this.  Sanders had a monster season, sure, but I feel he was more of a product of the offensive line/Hurts than on his merit alone.  He still showed signs of running east/west as well as some ball security issues that haunted him in the early seasons.  He also made the offense one dimensional as he showed little to nothing as a receiver.  I think Switt alone can match his production IF he can stay healthy.  Penny is just icing on the cake.  

• Like 1

Biggest reason why I think we avoid the dreaded "SB hangover" ... Hurts.

He is as locked in as any player I have ever seen.  

Plus vet players like Kelce and Johnson and Slay and Reddick to make sure we stay focused.  

Fingers crossed we suffer minimal injuries.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Biggest reason why I think we avoid the dreaded "SB hangover" ... Hurts.

He is as locked in as any player I have ever seen.  

Plus vet players like Kelce and Johnson and Slay and Reddick to make sure we stay focused.  

Fingers crossed we suffer minimal injuries.  

Also, the team is 100 percent on board with him. The vets love him. The young players already look up to him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The team that decided drafting the 2nd best RB at 12 moved on from Swift and you think their keen insight means Swift is bad?

I don't necessarily disagree with you. People could also say if the lions thought so much of Swift why draft a RB at 12?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, Boogyman said:

Also, the team is 100 percent on board with him. The vets love him. The young players already look up to him.

^^ 2nd biggest reason (since there can be only one "biggest") :D

17 minutes ago, time2rock said:

^^ 2nd biggest reason (since there can be only one "biggest") :D

"Also..."

I don't worry, because we have such strong experienced leadership being led by the ultimate competitor.  I haven't always been Hurts' biggest supporter, but I think his attitude, intertwined with Lane, Kelce, BG, Jordan, AJ, etc, makes for a mighty core.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 7:31 PM, SkippyX said:

I’m not saying that… I’m just saying there are other sides and aspects to this. Swift is a very good player but Detroit let him go for not a lot. I’m just approaching with a little caution that’s all.

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, eaglestime34 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. People could also say if the lions thought so much of Swift why draft a RB at 12?

The Ravens thought so much of Priest Holmes that they drafted Jamal Lewis.

Holmes had 7645 yards from scrimmage and 76 TDs in his first 4 years in KC.

The Colts thought so little of Marshall Faulk they traded him to St Louis and drafted Edge.

Faulk had 8255 yards from scrimmage and 69 TDs in his first 4 years in St Louis. He finished 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in MVP voting the first 3 years.

St Louis thought so little of Jerome Bettis they sent him to Pittsburgh.

He had 5804 yards and 30 TDs in his first 4 years.

Curtis Martin NE to NYJ

6920 yards and 35 TDs in his first 4 years.

Beast Mode Buffalo to Seattle

6448 yards and 56 TDs in his first 4 full years in Seattle

Shady, Riggins, Dickerson, Portis, etc.

Even Ricky Williams had 2216 yards and 17 TDs his first year in Miami.

Ricky Watters carried the worst WCO passing offense in NFL history in Philly to the playoffs twice. (52 TDs passing to 53 picks in his 3 years in Philly)

Every GM who got rid of everyone on this list thought so little of all of them. GM's opinions are not worth much.

Lev Bell types who bust on their 2nd team are pretty rare.

Those in the know were fully aware that Lev was just a product of the Pittsburgh line, system, and passing game.

Some people actually thought his stand still while his line mauls defenders and makes a hole style was due to his ability? 🤣