DeAndre Hopkins (Cardinals WR) -- SIGNED WITH TENNESSEE

judunno

I mean, we got 2 WRs and 13m in cap.... lol. This screams a 1 year deal special. Would be a luxury signing for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, judunno said:

Do it... do itttttt. 

If we get him is do we at least not hate Gannon as much?

Does Hopkins still want a starting role? Or does he want to go after a ring? These are the big questions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

If we get him is do we at least not hate Gannon as much?

<Automated Reponse From ChatGPT>
FU Gannon .... FU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

I mean, we got 2 WRs and 13m in cap.... lol. This screams a 1 year deal special. Would be a luxury signing for sure.

Wouldn't mind the depth at the position. We're going cheap on RB so now is the time!

If the Eagles sign Hopkins, and if Hurts  doesn’t regress [which doesn’t seem likely], in the Eagles would probably have one of the best, if not the best, NFL offences of all time. They would surpass Cincinnati and having the best group of wide receivers, they already have the best offensive line, a top tight end [ only second to Kelsey?], and is good I’m running game as anyone. I don’t see how anyone could stop them.

It's hard to imagine they'd even consider bringing Hopkins in without consulting with Hurts, Brown and Smith to make sure everyone is onboard and good with the big picture here. 

• Like 3

I would love to get him but ke8ne real here. I'd be shocked if the Chiefs don't get him. That's the best possible situation for both. 

2 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

I would love to get him but ke8ne real here. I'd be shocked if the Chiefs don't get him. That's the best possible situation for both. 

Chiefs were my first thought, then the Giants or Rams.

I still think Devonta Smith could be an All-Pro slot receiver.

4 hours ago, b_west3 said:

It's hard to imagine they'd even consider bringing Hopkins in without consulting with Hurts, Brown and Smith to make sure everyone is onboard and good with the big picture here. 

He did mention on the I Am Athlete podcast when prompted, that the QBs he would most like to play with were Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, and Justin Herbert, in that order. He further clarified that his top priorities in choosing a team included: QB that loves the game and brings everyone on board with him, great defense as he stated "defense wins championships, gotta have a great D-Line" and "stable management", because he he's been through 4 GMs in his career.

I think Howie will at least do his due diligence here.

I feel like AJ Brown and Devonta Smith would embrace Hopkins coming on board with the knowledge that it would eat into their individual statistical production, but don't think Hopkins would turn down the opportunity to be WR1 with the Chiefs or WR2 with the Bills if either could find a way to clear up enough cap space. If he puts up another 1000 yard receiving season in KC or Buffalo on a 1 year deal, that helps his case on getting a big contract the following year.

With the Eagles, he would probably be WR2 and line up on the outside given his size, pushing Devonta Smith to the slot. A luxury signing for sure, but at least WR3 wouldn't be a question mark for 2023. 😎

• Thanks 1

It would be great if we could land him on paper. I’m not sure it’s possible and it’s not likely but it would be great on paper. 

Its just so nice to know we have a QB in hurts who players want to play with.

• Thanks 1

Maybe somebody who is knowledgable about NFL contracts can help me out here so that I understand the Cardinals.

I understand why they are taking the total salary hit this year. They want to start off on a clean slate next year .this year they want to tank and the salary cap hit is irrelevant.

But I also understood that the reason nobody wanted to trade with them was twofold. First, nobody wanted to give up the second round draft pick they apparently wanted. Second, nobody wanted to have to inherit his contract.

Here is the part I don’t understand.

Given that they are willing to eat all of his contract in cutting him, presumably they could’ve done that in trading him so the contract with no longer have been an obstacle in someone trading  for him. Or is there some NFL rule  limiting how much of the contract they could’ve absorbed. I have never heard of that before.

Once Arizona had removed the contract obstacle surely they could’ve gotten something for him. And if it was part of their Tank strategy, they could’ve gotten something in next year’s draft. With Arizona absorbing most of his contract surely any other team would have given them at least a number three in next year‘s draft.

I don’t understand why it didn’t happen this way. Could someone please explain.

And please don’t just say it’s because the Arizona management is stupid. They were smart enough to completely fleece Houston in the draft and then to move back up to get the player they actually wanted.

I really hope somebody will offer a useful explanation.

3 hours ago, Canada fan said:

Maybe somebody who is knowledgable about NFL contracts can help me out here so that I understand the Cardinals.

I understand why they are taking the total salary hit this year. They want to start off on a clean slate next year .this year they want to tank and the salary cap hit is irrelevant.

But I also understood that the reason nobody wanted to trade with them was twofold. First, nobody wanted to give up the second round draft pick they apparently wanted. Second, nobody wanted to have to inherit his contract.

Here is the part I don’t understand.

Given that they are willing to eat all of his contract in cutting him, presumably they could’ve done that in trading him so the contract with no longer have been an obstacle in someone trading  for him. Or is there some NFL rule  limiting how much of the contract they could’ve absorbed. I have never heard of that before.

Once Arizona had removed the contract obstacle surely they could’ve gotten something for him. And if it was part of their Tank strategy, they could’ve gotten something in next year’s draft. With Arizona absorbing most of his contract surely any other team would have given them at least a number three in next year‘s draft.

I don’t understand why it didn’t happen this way. Could someone please explain.

And please don’t just say it’s because the Arizona management is stupid. They were smart enough to completely fleece Houston in the draft and then to move back up to get the player they actually wanted.

I really hope somebody will offer a useful explanation.

Seems like they wanted to take the L on their books for 2023 and be done with it. They're rebuilding so they probably don't care about this year

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It would be great if we could land him on paper. I’m not sure it’s possible and it’s not likely but it would be great on paper. 

Its just so nice to know we have a QB in hurts who players want to play with.

Yeah... we haven't made a move on the offense yet where I can say that they have significantly improved it this off-season. This would move that offense into better than last year on paper which I'm all game for.

Even if Hopkins is considered a luxury signing, if he joins the Eagles, we'd be keeping him away from the AFC contenders that could use him for a Super Bowl run. 4 of the 5 QBs that he said he would like to play with are in the AFC. (The Bengals are the one contender in the AFC already loaded at WR that wouldn't bring in Hopkins, notice that D-Hop didn't say Joe Burrow in the podcast when asked for 5 QBs he'd like to play with).

The lone NFC QB in that list is Jalen Hurts. Would love to bring in Hopkins for not just the benefit on our offense, but to prevent making a potential Super Bowl opponent even better.

• Thanks 1

And I think that will be a main reason the Chiefs take him. To prevent buffalo from getting better and to prevent Philadelphia from becoming virtually unbeatable. 

The Chiefs would certainly benefit from getting him more than Philadelphia would, but I think they will have good enough wide receivers without him. The maturation of Toney and Moore and the addition of rice should make their wide receiver group better than last year and MSV showed he could play a big role if called on .

4 hours ago, Canada fan said:

And I think that will be a main reason the Chiefs take him. To prevent buffalo from getting better and to prevent Philadelphia from becoming virtually unbeatable. 

The Chiefs would certainly benefit from getting him more than Philadelphia would, but I think they will have good enough wide receivers without him. The maturation of Toney and Moore and the addition of rice should make their wide receiver group better than last year and MSV showed he could play a big role if called on .

Chiefs don't have much cap space.

6 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Even if Hopkins is considered a luxury signing, if he joins the Eagles, we'd be keeping him away from the AFC contenders that could use him for a Super Bowl run. 4 of the 5 QBs that he said he would like to play with are in the AFC. (The Bengals are the one contender in the AFC already loaded at WR that wouldn't bring in Hopkins, notice that D-Hop didn't say Joe Burrow in the podcast when asked for 5 QBs he'd like to play with).

The lone NFC QB in that list is Jalen Hurts. Would love to bring in Hopkins for not just the benefit on our offense, but to prevent making a potential Super Bowl opponent even better.

c6f5914bed9e45132f64135df973eacb4917c835_00.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Chiefs don't have much cap space.

But they could create the necessary cap Space either from signing the extension for Jones or doing another restructuring on Mahones presumably. They could also presumably trade CVS.

Not gonna happen, would it be cool as a fan to see such a beast in green, sure it would be.

But who's gonna give up their targets? Do we think Brown and Smith numbers last year were flukes? I definitely don't. Would Smith, Brown or even Hopkins play in the slot, I highly doubt it. I have feeling he will demand 20m/yr, might settle for less from a true contender. Our weakness on the O is slot, that's the reason Howie brought in so many slot WRs, he knows it, we know it and Quez knows it. I'm not totally out of Quez, his problems are fixable, it's up to him to fix them if he wants to remain #3, bc I'm telling you, Olamide is good and very dependable. 

If slot wr is our only concern we are good on O, proved it last year. Our main concern is D, Gannon sucked at making in game adjustments. Our D has changed a lot this off season. I have hope in Desai, he's done well with far less.

• Thanks 1

Smith and Brown both acted up after games where they didn't get enough targets.  The cap space required to sign him is too much.  It's best allocated elsewhere.  He won't be coming to Philly - great player but not the right player for this team at this time.