So What to Make of the Russell Wilson Report?

EazyEaglez

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The Legion of Boom declined because a lot of those players were on their second/third contracts and also declined. You can still have sustained success through good personnel decisions while employing a top-paid franchise QB. Just like we're seeing big name players drawn to the idea of playing with Hurts, that's how it can play out for other teams as well. 

You are correct that Wilson was coming off an unimpressive season --- one in which PFF had Hurts ranked higher than him, much to the dismay of the Hurts-haters. The bottom line to me is that Wilson was not worth what the Broncos gave up to get him. They were fleeced, plain and simple. In teams' desires to have  top franchise QBs, they are breaking common sense rules that say you don't give up as much draft capital for a payer that has a huge cap hit.

I don't want to get too involved in the "What ifs?" I mean, we really don't know how things would have turned out here. We can only speculate. It is possible Wilson could have had success with Sirianni and his staff. There's no way to know. Fortunately, we do know how things turned out with Hurts last season and you would have to be some kind of nutcase to deduce a more positive outcome with a player that didn't seemingly make his new team better. 

Overall I am not a worried about the what if’s either. This all turned out very well for the Eagles. I just find it interesting that this story popped up once again for some reason. That’s the part I am wondering about. 

10 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'm sure that the Eagles had legitimate interest in Russell Wilson. He was "the one that got away" in terms of QBs in that 2012 draft class. One of the worst kept secrets that year was Andy Reid wanting  Russell Wilson as his next franchise QB. The Eagles (along with the rest of the league) passed on him in the first 2 rounds. Technically Howie was right in that Wilson was gonna fall to round 3, but the Seahawks ended up taking advantage instead. 

It all ended up working out though eventually, as the Eagles picks in Rounds 1-2 (Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, and Vinny Curry) ended up being starters on the Super Bowl LII team, not to mention the QB we ended up taking as a consolation prize at #88 overall, Nick Foles 😎, our Super Bowl MVP.

Pretty solid draft class when your first 4 consecutive picks end up being starters for a Super Bowl team.

Howie’s duo of quarterbacks of Foles and Wentz sport the same number of rings as Wilson. GMs who might be hating on Howie and his success are probably the ones who helped leak this story.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Procus said:

I take reports like this with a grain of salt.  Eagles MO has been zipit under Howie

Howie hasn’t hid his love over Wilson and the fact he lost the chance to draft him though. Is it really that shocking that Howie might have wanted to take another shot at the one that got away? I’m not even questioning the validity of the story. Heck Howie has made mistakes in the past. He’s also made some outstanding moves as well. Brining in a 9 time Pro Bowl  and Super Bowl winning quarterback on paper looks like a great move. In hindsight it likely would have been a disaster, but why are they brining it up now? 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

From stories that I have heard about Wilson he seems like a guy who can be aloof and somewhat a diva. There was a story about how he refused to eat any of the food prepared by the Eagles in a game that played and actually delayed the flight out for his own special delivery of food. There was talk he has his own office in Denver separate from his teammates. Legion of Boom members have been critical of their former teammate. It seems like he can be his own cause for poor chemistry with his teammates. Conversely Jalen Hurts won over his teammates with hard work, accountability, and leadership. Rumor has it Hurts was connected in some way to a Wilson trade. Could you imagine how bad that would look if Jalen had his Philly season in Seattle while Wilson had his Denver season here? 

Agreed it all worked out in the end. And I’m sure this report will just be more motivation for Hurts. He knows the Eagles are behind him but he also knows there are still people in the league who doubt him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed it all worked out in the end. And I’m sure this report will just be more motivation for Hurts. He knows the Eagles are behind him but he also knows there are still people in the league who doubt him.

There’s a report out that the Eagles believe Hurts can take yet another step as a passer. It certainly would help if Swift becomes a huge part of the offense as a receiver and if Watkins can bring down some of these catches he missed last season, but imagine if Hurts takes yet another big step!?! 

Honestly I don’t know if the trade would have been this steep, but we have to be real thankful Wilson said no regardless.

C839F8A7-5EB9-4EB6-91ED-01652DB34FA0.jpeg

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I read that Wilson’s personal QB coach also said Russ turned down the Eagles and Commanders deals sometime around the combine giving a bit more credence to the story. I’m just trying to make sense of the why this story now? What is actually gained by it? Writing a story like "Eagles are Rumored to be Trading For Budda Baker!” I get that.  Click bait away! This one doesn’t quite makes sense though, because all sides are in place and there is no change that will possible happen because of it. It is interesting that Washing doesn’t seem to be getting as much focus in the story, but Wilson turned them down also which is probably why they pivoted to Wentz. We might never know why this suddenly was the talk again. 

That's where I was heading with my initial response.  It wasn't intended to be a knock on you - I get it, slow news time of the season so gives something to talk about to fill the time between the draft and TC.  No doubt it is bizarre timing to come out with this report now but perhaps as simple as for the same reason I just stated (slow news time - need something to report).  I am just super thankful we didn't hitch our wagon to an aging (former) star ... especially for what it cost Denver to acquire him.  That's nuts!

• Like 1

All I can say is thank God this deal never happened.  This might be #1 on the list of "the best deals are the ones they don't make".

• Like 4

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think this is more of a shot at Wilson or even at Roseman than it is at Hurts. 

Yeah... who cares either way. Didn't happen. We have our Franchise QB and a wealth of weapons and assets. Future looking bright bright bright. Thanks Roseman for drafting Hurts! Thanks Wilson for being you :) Non-story IMO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, judunno said:

Yeah... who cares either way. Didn't happen. We have our Franchise QB and a wealth of weapons and assets. Future looking bright bright bright. Thanks Roseman for drafting Hurts! Thanks Wilson for being you :) Non-story IMO.

Super grateful this didn’t happen. I was against this that off-season as well. I didn’t want any of those options even if Rodgers was one of them. Finding out what Hurts was always seemed like the best move and if he didn’t work out we had the capital to move up and select a quarterback if needed. Maybe it doesn’t matter why this surfaced now, but I wouldn’t put it past some team to try and undermine the Eagles success in any way they can. The fans might not care, but we don’t know how it could effect those in the building. 

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

All I can say is thank God this deal never happened.  This might be #1 on the list of "the best deals are the ones they don't make".

Ironically it sounds like this deal was made, but Wilson nixed it. 😂 We should be thanking him I guess. 😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Super grateful this didn’t happen. I was against this that off-season as well. I didn’t want any of those options even if Rodgers was one of them. Finding out what Hurts was always seemed like the best move and if he didn’t work out we had the capital to move up and select a quarterback if needed. Maybe it doesn’t matter why this surfaced now, but I wouldn’t put it past some team to try and undermine the Eagles success in any way they can. The fans might not care, but we don’t know how it could effect those in the building. 

Hurt's has been playing under these conditions all of his life. After $255 million, a no trade clause, and a great year I'm sure he's fine lol.

• Like 1

Just now, judunno said:

Hurt's has been playing under these conditions all of his life. After $255 million, a no trade clause, and a great year I'm sure he's fine lol.

Agreed, but I do think I understand the NTC a little bit more though. Crazy how Jalen has made almost everyone who was against him buy in now. Outsiders may try to rattle what the Eagles are doing, but I do believe this quarterback has the makeup to not be rattled by this. He of all people knows how quickly things can change considering what happened to him in college and in the pros. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly I don’t know if the trade would have been this steep, but we have to be real thankful Wilson said no regardless.

Denver gave up two 1sts and two 2nds.  (plus some players)

I can't see where Eagles, who love accruing picks, would have given away two firsts in the same round and then another one the following year.

In any case, that would have, at best, locked Philly in mediocrity for a decade.  Eagles would be a team that would lose in the first round of the playoffs every year for a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed, but I do think I understand the NTC a little bit more though. Crazy how Jalen has made almost everyone who was against him buy in now. Outsiders may try to rattle what the Eagles are doing, but I do believe this quarterback has the makeup to not be rattled by this. He of all people knows how quickly things can change considering what happened to him in college and in the pros. 

This dude is so stoic for his age it's unreal. We are truly lucky to have someone with his mentality and hunger. I suppose that's what got him drafted. He needs to complete his amazing story with a Super Bowl win. Damn shame the defense couldn't get a stop last year. FU Gannon FU

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vee said:

I can't see where Eagles, who love accruing picks, would have given away two firsts in the same round and then another one the following year.

In any case, that would have, at best, locked Philly in mediocrity for a decade.  Eagles would be a team that would lose in the first round of the playoffs every year for a long time.

Yeah... I've been calling BS on this story as well. That's a lot to give up when Howie and Co seemed pretty happy with Hurts' improvement and potential. Hard for me to believe that they'd want someone that appeared to be on the decline like this.

4 hours ago, Vee said:

When people were saying they wanted this trade back then around here, I kept saying that the Eagles weren’t just a quarterback away from being good. Them not making this trade is what made them the deeply talented team that they were. It was reported back then "even by Eskin who works for the Eagles” that they were in on Wilson. The shocking part was this year and the new information makes it seem like the deal was all but done. It would have been a huge mistake by Howie if this trade happened. 

4 hours ago, vaeagle2 said:

IMO

whoop-annie.gif

Overall it’s not a big deal and nothing changes. Just looking for something new to discuss. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall it’s not a big deal and nothing changes. Just looking for something new to discuss. 

OTAs isn't enough? :)

23 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Jesus Christ that offer is insanity for a 33 year old coming off the worst passing and rushing year of his career.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

When people were saying they wanted this trade back then around here, I kept saying that the Eagles weren’t just a quarterback away from being good. Them not making this trade is what made them the deeply talented team that they were. It was reported back then "even by Eskin who works for the Eagles” that they were in on Wilson. The shocking part was this year and the new information makes it seem like the deal was all but done. It would have been a huge mistake by Howie if this trade happened. 

Saw this posted elsewhere.  Perhaps it would vary slightly from what is outlined but the point is the same ... everyone with half a brain cell knew what it would cost to hitch our wagon to a QB obviously past his prime and the biggest reason why I was so against making the transaction when it was rumored we were interested.  

C224F8EF-2B2D-4599-9A38-56DB4A50F60F.thumb.jpeg.7de0df1fae32454099366442e935bdca.jpeg

This all smells fishy to me.

People will remember I was firmly behind Hurts last offseason. I didn’t predict he would have the season he just did, but was firmly of the belief that giving him another year was the right thing to do.

But even the majority of Hurts haters/sceptics didn’t want Wilson. We all quite rightly thought the salary cap and draft cost would be too much for an elite but declining QB.

I want to believe that the Eagles just did their due diligence on Wilson. I find it hard to believe the ludicrous package in question was agreed, just for Wilson to stop it at the last minute. 

Maybe it’s BS. Maybe Howie got really lucky. Either way glad it didn’t happen and we have Hurts as our franchise QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

This all smells fishy to me.

People will remember I was firmly behind Hurts last offseason. I didn’t predict he would have the season he just did, but was firmly of the belief that giving him another year was the right thing to do.

But even the majority of Hurts haters/sceptics didn’t want Wilson. We all quite rightly thought the salary cap and draft cost would be too much for an elite but declining QB.

I want to believe that the Eagles just did their due diligence on Wilson. I find it hard to believe the ludicrous package in question was agreed, just for Wilson to stop it at the last minute. 

Maybe it’s BS. Maybe Howie got really lucky. Either way glad it didn’t happen and we have Hurts as our franchise QB.

I feel like it seems odd to come out now since we are so far removed from this not happening. The package would have been beyond insane. Perhaps Denver is trying to save face by putting this out? I mean everyone is calling Howie the best, but was he really going to give up all that for Wilson? Wilson’s final year in Seattle wasn’t that good, but I do recall a lot of prognosticators downplaying his play and assuming Denver finally had the missing piece. Yeah it’s a downtime in media, but why did this story suddenly gain legs? Ultimately no one really comes out of this looking good, and basically the Eagles and Howie just look mostly lucky.