So What to Make of the Russell Wilson Report?

EazyEaglez

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Jesus Christ that offer is insanity for a 33 year old coming off the worst passing and rushing year of his career.

Yes it does! The reason why it might have been so high was due to the fact three teams were in the mix. The Eagles basically had to outbid them before Wilson even signed off on it. Denver’s payout was pretty steep in the end too. 

• Like 1

If true, I'm glad the Eagles couldn't afford Wilson. He's at the tail end of his career. You can stick a fork in him.

• Like 3

Gratefully, the fan base didn't have to suffer from a waning QB force-feeding us with whatever the Philly equivalent of "Let's ride!" would have been. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Erie said:

Gratefully, the fan base didn't have to suffer from a waning QB force-feeding us with whatever the Philly equivalent of "Let's ride!" would have been. 

Eagles Nest, Let's Fly 🦅 ?

😂

I'm glad Jalen came up with "It's a Philly Thing" instead as our slogan for the playoffs. It's simple, yet catchy without coming across as cringeworthy.

This year it's only fitting to somehow incorporate "Dawg Mentality" in some form or fashion, given the hunger to make it back to the Super Bowl and win it this time, and of course the influx of Georgia Bulldogs added to our roster this offseason.

• Like 1

What I make of it is Howie looking at all of the potential possibilities and working to bring another Lombardi to Nova Care. I'm glad it didn't work out, but that's just Howie working.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

What I make of it is Howie looking at all of the potential possibilities and working to bring another Lombardi to Nova Care. I'm glad it didn't work out, but that's just Howie working.

I’m not mad at Howie doing his due diligence, but I’m thrilled it didn’t work out for him this time. 

• Like 1

I can buy that the Eagles did push for Wilson, but I'm also glad that he didn't land here.  I thought it was always a better gamble to bet on Hurts, than give up way too much on a QB that'll be on the decline soon. 

• Like 2

Truth - Sometimes the deals that don't happen are just as important as the deals that do.

AND - From the Owner down through the GM, Coaches and Players to the bottom of the roster - sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. 

On 6/4/2023 at 9:42 AM, Mike030270 said:

It makes sense but I wouldn't have liked the cost. Majority didn't think Hurts was any good

There was that other report that they wanted to trade up for Zac Wilson too

Then Hurts improves dramatically and we have our QB of the future

I would have hated that trade right away.

On 6/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'm sure that the Eagles had legitimate interest in Russell Wilson. He was "the one that got away" in terms of QBs in that 2012 draft class. One of the worst kept secrets that year was Andy Reid wanting  Russell Wilson as his next franchise QB. The Eagles (along with the rest of the league) passed on him in the first 2 rounds. Technically Howie was right in that Wilson was gonna fall to round 3, but the Seahawks ended up taking advantage instead. 

It all ended up working out though eventually, as the Eagles picks in Rounds 1-2 (Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, and Vinny Curry) ended up being starters on the Super Bowl LII team, not to mention the QB we ended up taking as a consolation prize at #88 overall, Nick Foles 😎, our Super Bowl MVP.

Pretty solid draft class when your first 4 consecutive picks end up being starters for a Super Bowl team.

I think it was best thing for Eagles and Andy Reid that they didn't get Wilson in 2012 NFL Draft. Eagles likely have Reid as head coach longer, so likely no Super Bowl win and no one to challenge Lurie and Howie (Chip Kelly). I don't think Reid changes and does same stuff with Wilson in Philly without getting fired.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

I would have hated that trade right away.

I think it was best thing for Eagles and Andy Reid that they didn't get Wilson in 2012 NFL Draft. Eagles likely have Reid as head coach longer, so likely no Super Bowl win and no one to challenge Lurie and Howie (Chip Kelly). I don't think Reid changes and does same stuff with Wilson in Philly without getting fired.

Or maybe Mahomes would have been our QB??? Seems like most people were surprised that the Chiefs gave up so much to go get him. Wouldn’t be surprised if Andy went all in for Mahomes in Philly too. 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Or maybe Mahomes would have been our QB??? Seems like most people were surprised that the Chiefs gave up so much to go get him. Wouldn’t be surprised if Andy went all in for Mahomes in Philly too. 

Possibly, but a lot of the credit for the Chiefs picking Mahomes goes to Brett Veach, who reportedly was extremely high on Mahomes since his freshman year at Texas Tech and pushed him to take a closer look as a draft prospect. That being said, Veach was a coaching assistant/scout for the Eagles from 2004-2012 and basically followed Reid to KC, so maybe he would have still pounded the table for Mahomes had both stayed in Philly? 

Would Howie make that move? Who knows, but at least we struck gold with Carson Wentz/Nick Foles in 2017, and now Jalen Hurts.

Two Super Bowl appearances five years apart with a new HC, OC, DC, QB, and most of the remaining surrounding cast and assistant coaches, with your main constant being the GM, is a testament to Howie Roseman's growth since the Chip Kelly debacle.

The report reflects much of what the fanbase thought.

I was always on the side of it benefits the Eagles much more to stick with Hurts and see of he continues to take further steps forward and then use the draft capital to build around him or at the very least if Hurts didn't work out then use the draft capital to draft a QB.  Never made sense to me to use all those draft picks to trade for an aging vet when this team wouldn't have been in a good spot to contend as was.  Eagles ultimately went down the right path even if they were forced to do so and got players like AJ Brown while Hurts also developing into one of the league's best.

• Like 2

This doesn't erode any confidence in Hurts, but it takes some shine off Howie.  

I personally wanted nothing to do with trading for Wilson (and also wanted nothing to do with committing to Hurts).  Hurts' revelation wasn't completely foreseen by Howie.  So what...no one really saw that coming.  But it still doesn't look great and someone who wanted to take Howie down a peg released it.  But it's irrelevant.  Who knows?...maybe AR had Mitch Trubisky ranked ahead of Mahomes.  Doesn't matter now.

Let's play this out...

If the Eagles got Wilson...Hurts is the backup.  Wilson mostly stayed healthy last year, so Hurts wouldn't have seen the field (unless Wilson got benched).  Hurts would be entering his contract year this year and would be entrenched as a backup, with his only film/stats for teams being 2021.  He would get precisely zero interest from teams as a starter in FA.

Wilson probably isn't nearly as bad with the Eagles as with Denver.  Probably.  Russell Wilson = One first in 2022 gone.  Moving forward, we can cut out Jurgens, Nolan Smith, and probably a few others, but that has no 2022 impact.  Do they still trade a 1st round pick for AJ Brown?  I doubt Howie unloads all his picks for vets.  So it's likely the Jordan Davis pick going to Seattle and the AJ Brown pick ending up as Treylon Burks going here.  That offense isn't nearly as good.  That's enough of a drop off to miss the 1 seed and probably lose on the road in the divisional playoffs.

20 hours ago, eagle45 said:

So what...no one really saw that coming.  

Wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Let's play this out...

If the Eagles got Wilson...Hurts is the backup.  Wilson mostly stayed healthy last year, so Hurts wouldn't have seen the field (unless Wilson got benched).  Hurts would be entering his contract year this year and would be entrenched as a backup, with his only film/stats for teams being 2021.  He would get precisely zero interest from teams as a starter in FA.

Wilson probably isn't nearly as bad with the Eagles as with Denver.  Probably.  Russell Wilson = One first in 2022 gone.  Moving forward, we can cut out Jurgens, Nolan Smith, and probably a few others, but that has no 2022 impact.  Do they still trade a 1st round pick for AJ Brown?  I doubt Howie unloads all his picks for vets.  So it's likely the Jordan Davis pick going to Seattle and the AJ Brown pick ending up as Treylon Burks going here.  That offense isn't nearly as good.  That's enough of a drop off to miss the 1 seed and probably lose on the road in the divisional playoffs.

Why woupdnt Wilson be as bad here? Eagles wouldn't trade for AJ Brown because that 1st would have been included in the trade for Wilson.  So Wilson with the WRs he had/has in Denver would have been better than what he would have to play with in Philadelphia. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:54 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Possibly, but a lot of the credit for the Chiefs picking Mahomes goes to Brett Veach, who reportedly was extremely high on Mahomes since his freshman year at Texas Tech and pushed him to take a closer look as a draft prospect. That being said, Veach was a coaching assistant/scout for the Eagles from 2004-2012 and basically followed Reid to KC, so maybe he would have still pounded the table for Mahomes had both stayed in Philly? 

Would Howie make that move? Who knows, but at least we struck gold with Carson Wentz/Nick Foles in 2017, and now Jalen Hurts.

Two Super Bowl appearances five years apart with a new HC, OC, DC, QB, and most of the remaining surrounding cast and assistant coaches, with your main constant being the GM, is a testament to Howie Roseman's growth since the Chip Kelly debacle.

Does Veach leave the Eagles for KC with Andy if he doesn’t leave? Does Howie even get as much power as he did if Andy were still in the building? If Andy stayed the path is probably a lot different than it was. A lot of people don’t end up in the places they did like Doug returning to the Eagles to win that Super Bowl. Overall I highly doubt Andy drafts Wentz, but perhaps he trades him for a chance at Sam Bradford? You never know in the end because it’s all hypothetical. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, RememberTheKoy said:

Why woupdnt Wilson be as bad here? Eagles wouldn't trade for AJ Brown because that 1st would have been included in the trade for Wilson.  So Wilson with the WRs he had/has in Denver would have been better than what he would have to play with in Philadelphia. 

Don’t understand why people do not realize this part of it. Wilson would be throwing to Jalen Reagor and not AJ Brown. The Nolan Smith pick is gone, and Jalen would be in Seattle and not Wilson’s backup. The Eagles cap situation would have been unbearable and they couldn’t make many of the moves they made to sure up the team. It would have been a complete disaster. 

• Like 1

proves that if true wilson is just dumb why would he Nix a team that was only a few years removed from the super bowl and considered one of the better teams of the last decade plus for a team that has a few good players but hasn’t done much in ages 

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

proves that if true wilson is just dumb why would he Nix a team that was only a few years removed from the super bowl and considered one of the better teams of the last decade plus for a team that has a few good players but hasn’t done much in ages 

There were reports that Russ last season saying he didn’t want to take Jalen’s job. There’s also the issue of trying to play in Philly. Some players just can’t handle that heat. Wilson had no interest in going to any team known to have a difficult fan base. The one part of this people keep forgetting also is this team would not have been nearly as good with Russ than Jalen, because of the amount of assets that would have been lost just to acquire Russ to begin with. In Wilson’s eyes the Broncos potentially had better weapons than the Eagles especially on defense. Contrary to popular belief at the time the Eagles were not just a quarterback away from winning anything. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 6:46 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly I don’t know if the trade would have been this steep, but we have to be real thankful Wilson said no regardless.

C839F8A7-5EB9-4EB6-91ED-01652DB34FA0.jpeg

I believe there’s some truth that Howie was interested in Wilson but this would’ve been robbery. No way Howie gets robbed for a declining QB with a huge salary. No way! 

6 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I believe there’s some truth that Howie was interested in Wilson but this would’ve been robbery. No way Howie gets robbed for a declining QB with a huge salary. No way! 

This time last year Jalen was trash according to some and they were begging for Wilson in a deal. Of course many will say today "that wasn’t me” but there were plenty around here and in Philly who absolutely wanted that move. On top of that the actual deal for Wilson was steep to go to Denver where he actually wanted to go. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Eagles may have dodged a bullet with Russell Wilson: 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Looks like Eagles may have dodged a bullet with Russell Wilson: 

The Eagles almost gave up an MVP level quarterback in Hurts for Wilson. Let that sink in.