A 4-0 start is pretty much mandatory if we want to get back to the SB

opa-opa

Just looking at that schedule....there are no easy games after week 4. And as much as im a homer and believe in this team, we probably wont go 6-0 against the Chiefs, Cowboys, Jets, whiners, Dolphins, and Buffalo.

The pressure for a fast start is going to be enormous. This is gonna be a true test of Sirianni and his staff.

• Haha 1

There is no point in trying to assume how the schedule will play out. These teams are never the same the next year, also we are the team to beat. So those teams are probably more worried about playing us then we are them. 

• Like 13

On paper right now yes absolutely I’d agree with that. But who knows when it all plays out and how things will go. But yes right now if we get off to a bad start things could get ugly.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is no point in trying to assume how the schedule will play out. These teams are never the same the next year, also we are the team to beat. So those teams are probably more worried about playing us then we are them. 

This.

There are a lot of ways things can go, some teams are better or worse than expected, every team loses a fluke game they should've won, injuries happen, etc. 

No need to panic about the need to start 4-0, especially in July. 

• Like 2

While it isn't necessary to earn a #1 seed it certainly helps to improve your odds of making it to the big game.  But more so, it really helps to set the tone for the season to get off to a strong start (and also really helps to take advantage of the weakest part of the schedule).  So yes, I agree, even though not absolutely necessary, starting 4-0 would be tremendous to our chances.

• Like 1

Nonsense.  A 4-0 start would go a long way in a competition for the #1 overall seed, but that's no guarantee of a SB berth.  How many times do we see teams get hot late in the year and go on a run.  I would say the most important factor will be the health of the team's key players come playoff time - assuming the team earns a playoff berth.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 11:25 PM, opa-opa said:

Just looking at that schedule....there are no easy games after week 4. And as much as im a homer and believe in this team, we probably wont go 6-0 against the Chiefs, Cowboys, Jets, whiners, Dolphins, and Buffalo.

The pressure for a fast start is going to be enormous. This is gonna be a true test of Sirianni and his staff.

You never know how these things play out.  If a starting QB or other key player for one of these teams, or for the Eagles, goes down, we could be looking at duds of games.  It's too early to tell how the season plays itself out.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say a 4-0 start is mandatory, but yes I agree it's important to minimize losses before the bye week and that rough 2nd half stretch to finish out the season to improve our playoff positioning. The NFC East has also become a bit tougher and I can certainly envision a scenario where a team like the Saints takes advantage of a weak NFC South division and favorable schedule on the way to the #1 seed, even if they aren't the best overall team in the NFC.

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Nonsense.  A 4-0 start would go a long way in a competition for the #1 overall seed, but that's no guarantee of a SB berth.  How many times do we see teams get hot late in the year and go on a run.  I would say the most important factor will be the health of the team's key players come playoff time - assuming the team earns a playoff berth.

Granted the sample size here isn't large, but from a historical standpoint the Eagles have not made the Super Bowl with anything less than a #2 seed in the playoffs:

Super Bowl XV - #2 seed

Super Bowl XXXIX - #1 seed

Super Bowl LII - #1 seed

Super Bowl LVII - #1 seed

• Thanks 1

The key is to go 1-0 as frequently as possible.  Worrying about more than that is just a futile effort.  No one knows how the schedule will actually end up playing out.  

• Like 6

Providing Jalen Carter is as good as advertised there's nothing to fear in the schedule, the 49ers were head and shoulders over the rest of the NFC last year and we absolutely kicked their ass in the play offs and they haven't changed at QB.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I agree that player health, and good coaching, will be key. If they come back from the Bye and win most of those games, a slow start would be acceptable. Being in the NFL's toughest division might rear its ugly head again, no matter how they do. But in theory, the Chiefs are the only team better than them on the schedule. We'll know the state of our Defense soon enough.

• Like 1

I'm worried about Chiefs and Jets with Rodgers

Tua could end up getting his last concussion against our Dline

Allen is too reckless

F Dallas

F 49ers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Allen is too reckless

F Dallas

F 49ers

Dallas has owned us for quite some time now. Getting a split is challenging most years.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Allen is too reckless

F Dallas

F 49ers

I'm not worried about Rodgers. They'll be playing on the gridiron, not the golf course. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

Dallas has owned us for quite some time now. Getting a split is challenging most years.

We split with them 3 of the past 4 seasons.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

We beat them week 6 last season

It's a looooong ass season and anything can happen. If they go 3-1, they don't make the Super Bowl? Well alrighty then.
(I do agree- they SHOULD win those 4, though)

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I honestly never worry about any of that stuff. You just want to make it in relatively healthy, and hope that the team is playing really well heading into the postseason.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow i just remembered this thread i made a few months back. Seems like the Eagles has fulfilled the prerequisite to make it back to the SB.

9 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Wow i just remembered this thread i made a few months back. Seems like the Eagles has fulfilled the prerequisite to make it back to the SB.

Aaaaaand, now you jinxed it.

• Sad 1

I just want them to beat the rams right now.  

I want them to look more and more efficient on offense....and limit the stupid play calls.

On Defense, the pass rush has pick up to give the DBs some help.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I just want them to beat the rams right now.  

I want them to look more and more efficient on offense....and limit the stupid play calls.

On Defense, the pass rush has pick up to give the DBs some help.....

I'd like it if Desai could stop giving cushions to receivers

I'm hoping Hurts will knock off the rust soon. Wasn't expecting to go into week 5 with it. Also need to start spreading the ball around to Goedert

I would love to see a few screens, it seems like we haven't run any yet and with all the blitzing Hurts has been seeing, it would definitely take some of the pressure off.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, astrofed said:

I would love to see a few screens, it seems like we haven't run any yet and with all the blitzing Hurts has been seeing, it would definitely take some of the pressure off.

And Swift and our OL should be a potent combination for those