GDT: Preseason, Philadelphia Eagles @ Baltimore Ravens, 8-12-23, 7PM EST

EagleJoe8

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Good thing we just signed a couple of LB’s. 

Ben VanSumeren was 2nd on the team in tackles with 6.

I don't know if he actually did well while making those tackles,  the Ravens announcers didn't ever mention any Eagle making a tackle.

But I would have to guess that being 2nd indicates some basic competence,  a floor where he's at least making some tackles, not sucking.  VanS does have the high ras to play special teams, presumably.  231 and 4.45 and 29 bench and 42.5 vert is almost exactly what you'd want for special teams. 

VanS also has 2 years at Michigan as a RB/FB. 

I'd have to assume that Dean is the week 1 green dot,  but maybe Jack or Cunningham or Nolan Smith is the other week 1 off ball LB and not Morrow. 

It seems like the LBs who are getting hurt are the special teams type LBs, and not the starters.

Fairly often, especially with the green dot,  that player stays on the field the whole game.   Like WRs,  when you have a star at one WR spot and a star at another WR spot,  you don't need a whole lot of backups.  But you need special teamers.  You don't rotate green dots,  you might rotate the other spot.

22 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Ben VanSumeren was 2nd on the team in tackles with 6.

I don't know if he actually did well while making those tackles,  the Ravens announcers didn't ever mention any Eagle making a tackle.

But I would have to guess that being 2nd indicates some basic competence,  a floor where he's at least making some tackles, not sucking.  VanS does have the high ras to play special teams, presumably.  231 and 4.45 and 29 bench and 42.5 vert is almost exactly what you'd want for special teams. 

VanS also has 2 years at Michigan as a RB/FB. 

I'd have to assume that Dean is the week 1 green dot,  but maybe Jack or Cunningham or Nolan Smith is the other week 1 off ball LB and not Morrow. 

It seems like the LBs who are getting hurt are the special teams type LBs, and not the starters.

Fairly often, especially with the green dot,  that player stays on the field the whole game.   Like WRs,  when you have a star at one WR spot and a star at another WR spot,  you don't need a whole lot of backups.  But you need special teamers.  You don't rotate green dots,  you might rotate the other spot.

It's pretty clear that Dean is the starter. The other starting spot will come down to Morrow and Elliss. So far Elliss was reportedly "better" in camp, but Morrow had the better preseason showing after 1 game. What we find out in the preseason games is that plays that were considered "tackles" in TC are not really tackles. They all need to do better than they did tonight. 

I'm watching the offensive and defensive coordinators as much as the players. Offensive play calling looked real good for his 1st time. even though they don't show much in pre season. On the D side of it- I know they have the players, but I can't really see what he wants to do yet. I have a feeling it's going to be better than this "bend but don't break" BS we have had to deal with for years. I can't wait to see what this guy wants to do.

36 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I'm watching the offensive and defensive coordinators as much as the players. Offensive play calling looked real good for his 1st time. even though they don't show much in pre season. On the D side of it- I know they have the players, but I can't really see what he wants to do yet. I have a feeling it's going to be better than this "bend but don't break" BS we have had to deal with for years. I can't wait to see what this guy wants to do.

Too early to tell with backups and vanilla schemes. 

4 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Honestly, every draft pick has impressed. Very encouraging. 

Really? So you liked the TD Ringo gave up as well?

I expect rookies to be rookies, so expect them to fail and Learn. But stating that every draft pick was impressive..is reaching it.  

The 2 Players that impressed me the most in the Baltimore game, were Eli Ricks -outstanding performance and Tanner McKee -He is a keeper,

The one thing that stunk was Defensive Unit coverage especially in the Run game. (LBs and CBs). Too many open gaps. Let's hope they do a better job in the next game of fixing it.

Kelee Ringo so far looks terrible.

Eagles might have something with Eli Ricks though.

If Mariota looks like he's struggling in a preseason game, wth would he do in a backup situation? It'll take teams one drive to figure out that all he can do is run.

Some preseason observations:

Sidney Brown stood out to me. He’s extremely active, has a nose for the ball, and makes sure tackles. The guy was everywhere. 

Van Summeren didn’t look bad, except for that missed tackle along the sideline. Aggressive, willing tackler. PS candidate. 

Morrow was surprising at LB especially with all the bad press during camp. Good to see. 

Ojomo looked pretty good most of the times he was out there. Active and aggressive. PS candidate. 

Ricks had his moment which was nice, but he’s got some work to do to make this team. Give him some time on the PS and he’ll develop. 

Goodrich was pretty solid out-there. Sticks on the PS as a Nickel.

Mekhi Gardner was shaky in coverage at times, but he showed some flashes. He was fine on SP tms. though. Don’t know if he gets a spot on the PS. 

Hasslewood had some moments, especially using his body control to make that juggling catch. Possible PS candidate, but it’s a crowded field at WR. 

I’m sold on Ngata. He’s worth a spot on the PS. Big guy who has good positioning and physicality. Good focus too. PS candidate for sure. 

Tanner McKee. He’s a lock so far if we  keep three - otherwise PS  

Book - nope!

Hope to see more Carter and Smith against Cleveland. Those guys look ready to make the leap quickly from a rookie standpoint (they’re gonna have to of course) Want or see more though. 

Greedy is gone. 

Ringo’s got some work to do, but he’s sticking regardless. Gotta correct some issues quickly. With a crowded position, the PS may be where he lands for now. 

Does Tyrie Cleveland stick? Does Ward? Crowded position. 

11 hours ago, Gannan said:

Yeah I don’t read too much into these games, but I’d like to see better accuracy from Mariota 

Wouldn't we all. If Mariota is the backup I'm gonna pray even harder for Hurts' continuing good health. If McKee continues to improve it would be nice to have a QB2 on a rookie contract at least. Not sure how long Mariota is signed.

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Wouldn't we all. If Mariota is the backup I'm gonna pray even harder for Hurts' continuing good health. If McKee continues to improve it would be nice to have a QB2 on a rookie contract at least. Not sure how long Mariota is signed.

I'm not all that worried about Mariota with our starting Oline and receivers. The thing that makes preseason games a little harder to evaluate is that you don't get to see what a single player does in a situation where he comes into fill in for one player. You're seeing a whole group of players that will never be in a real game at the same time. 

13 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Really? So you liked the TD Ringo gave up as well?

I expect rookies to be rookies, so expect them to fail and Learn. But stating that every draft pick was impressive..is reaching it.  

Good Lord. He had decent coverage and gave up a TD on a back shoulder throw by a guy whose last game action was almost beating the Bengals in the playoffs. Spoiler alert: rookie 4th round picks aren’t finished products. Had a nice pass breakup and sticky coverage all night. 

I would hope that MM will play a lot better behind the OL 1’s. And with the WR 1’s. 

Overall, it was fun to watch Football again. 👍

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Gotta get rid of that Book.

You know who was solid today?  Greg Ward Jr.

Former Houston QB Greg Ward Jr.  

He was closely watched in college, he did quite well at Houston, won a lot of games.  

He's a better runner than Book, who is a better runner than passer.

Tyree Jackson was a QB in college, at Buffalo,  and was a preseason QB for the Buffalo Bills.  He led a huge comeback in a preseason game in I think 2019. 

The Eagles could stick with the 2 good ones Hurts, Mariota,  maybe McKee.   There isn't any real reason to keep Book.  And give those snaps that you're giving to Book to Ward and Jackson.

Ward is competent out there as a WR and he was on Heisman watch lists as a QB.  Try him as QB. 

The Eagles know that Ward is a good Eagle, and is an NFL quality player.  If he's QB3/WR6/PR2, it seems like that would work. 

3 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

You know who was solid today?  Greg Ward Jr.

Former Houston QB Greg Ward Jr.  

He was closely watched in college, he did quite well at Houston, won a lot of games.  

He's a better runner than Book, who is a better runner than passer.

Tyree Jackson was a QB in college, at Buffalo,  and was a preseason QB for the Buffalo Bills.  He led a huge comeback in a preseason game in I think 2019. 

The Eagles could stick with the 2 good ones Hurts, Mariota,  maybe McKee.   There isn't any real reason to keep Book.  And give those snaps that you're giving to Book to Ward and Jackson.

Ward is competent out there as a WR and he was on Heisman watch lists as a QB.  Try him as QB. 

The Eagles know that Ward is a good Eagle, and is an NFL quality player.  If he's QB3/WR6/PR2, it seems like that would work. 

Eagles aren’t going to keep Ward as a quarterback. The three will be Hurts, Mariota, and McKee. Book is out or on the PS. Ward will make this team as a receiver or as a return guy and that’s it. 

Tanner McKee ran and picked up a first down, was for me, one of the top highlights of the game. He may be slow, but he demonstrated he has enough speed to run and pick up the 1st down. That's all he needs to do when things break down. Really liked his perfomance.

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

Tanner McKee ran and picked up a first down, was for me, one of the top highlights of the game. He may be slow, but he demonstrated he has enough speed to run and pick up the 1st down. That's all he needs to do when things break down. Really liked his perfomance.

he played above and beyond my expectations 

I also really liked the UDFA pick up of 6'2 CB from LSU/Alabama, ELI Ricks. His nick name is pick six Ricks. Gotta Love Howie finding this Gem. Sure he needs some seasoning but he is a great depth player.

49 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

he played above and beyond my expectations 

I had about as many expectations for McKee as I had for any other 6th round pick - not many. He was a pleasant surprise, let's see what he does against Cleveland.

2 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Surely book gets cut soon? he's not going to get any better is he

Eh, someone has to take meaningless snaps in the PS. No reason to cut him unless there's another QB they want to bring in.

On 8/13/2023 at 2:40 AM, Jeep_man said:

Kelee Ringo so far looks terrible.

Eagles might have something with Eli Ricks though.

They knew he was pretty raw when they took him and why he fell. He has all the athletic tools, but that doesn’t mean he can put it all together. It might take a year or two for him. 

4 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

I also really liked the UDFA pick up of 6'2 CB from LSU/Alabama, ELI Ricks. His nick name is pick six Ricks. Gotta Love Howie finding this Gem. Sure he needs some seasoning but he is a great depth player.

Think he makes the Team? Or can they stash him on the PS? 

Archived