Eagles believe they landed a top-5 slot CB in Nickell Robey-Coleman

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles believe they landed a top-5 slot CB in Nickell Robey-Coleman

The Philadelphia Eagles quietly went about adding talent during the free agency period and one of their most valued acquisitions could be the difference between an early playoff exit and a return to the Super Bowl.

There have been discussions about the Philadelphia Eagles playing Avonte Maddox at the cornerback slot opposite Darius Slay and a huge reason for that could be the acquisition of Nickell Robey-Coleman in free agency.

The Eagles inked the former Rams cornerback to a one-year, $1.35 million deal and according to Tim McManus of ESPN.com, Robey-Coleman is held in high regard by Philadelphia brass.

Philly views Robey-Coleman as a top-five slot corner in the NFL. He allowed a passer rating of 80.1 last season with the Los Angeles Rams — good for 13th among all CBs– and was sixth in yards per slot coverage snap (0.63), according to Pro Football Focus. There’s plenty more on his résumé than the controversial no-call pass interference in the 2018 NFC Championship game, including 48 career passes defensed and five forced fumbles.

The move greatly improved the Eagles secondary and if Sidney Jones and K’Von Wallace can both nail down starting jobs in training camp, Philadelphia could legitimately have a top-five secondary by season’s end.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/30/philadelphia-eagles-nickel-robey-coleman-nfl-top-5-slot-cornerback/

I think RNC was a really good addition to this secondary during the off season. He's a really good nickel corner and it means we have good depth at the position with LeBlanc also being a good player. 

And the Rams let him go for what reason?

2 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

And the Rams let him go for what reason?

The Rams are entering Cap Hell, worse than the Eagles.....

1 minute ago, NYEagle said:

The Rams are entering Cap Hell, worse than the Eagles.....

On 7/3/2020 at 1:55 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Eagles inked the former Rams cornerback to a one-year, $1.35 million deal

Cap hell or not - $1.35 million is chump change for even an average corner. If he's one of the top slot guys he'd be worth much more. 

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Cap hell or not - $1.35 million is chump change for even an average corner. If he's one of the top slot guys he'd be worth much more. 

For some reason the league really undervalues guys who can only play the slot. Robey-Coleman is also really tiny, so that probably plays a part in him not getting a better deal.

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

In 2016, the Colts signed Patrick Robinson to a 3 year $13.5 million contract and he became the starter. After an injury plagued year he was released. He signed a 1 year $775,000 contract with the Eagles in 2017. After a good year as the Eagles' nickel, he signed a 4 year, $20 million contract with the Saints. 

Signing a cheap one-year deal on a team where you can start that has invested heavily at other positions, puts you in position to get a big payday next season in free agency. For the best result, the situation needs to be right for both the team and the player. Everybody knew the Eagles were a destination of opportunity for CBs after last season concluded. Most of the big name CBs in free agency (or on teams where a trade was likely) were involved in rumors where they might land here. Nickell Robey-Coleman sees this as an opportunity to bet on himself. It's really not that complicated. If this was a 3-year, $3-4 MIllion contract, it wouldn't make sense (to the player).

As long as he crushes it in the slot this year, it's all good.

Philadelphia could legitimately have a top-five secondary by season’s end.

That's quite a stretch.  If we just end up not being ranked toward the bottom of the league it'll be a huge improvement.  I'd settle for somewhere right in the middle.  

If they felt he is a top 5 nickel they were dumb not to sign him to a longer deal and get more value out of him long term. 

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

If they felt he is a top 5 nickel they were dumb not to sign him to a longer deal and get more value out of him long term. 

Why is it dumb to motivate a player to perform for his next contract?

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Why is it dumb to motivate a player to perform for his next contract?

Top 5 guys usually don't need any extra motivation to perform at their best. That's how they get to be a top 5 guy at their position..

In short...They've got the drive, to be top five.

40 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Top 5 guys usually don't need any extra motivation to perform at their best. That's how they get to be a top 5 guy at their position..

In short...They've got the drive, to be top five.

If you are talking about truly great players, I'd agree that they are motivated first and foremost by being the best. But are you telling me that most of the players in the NFL are not motivated by money at all? I mean ... come on ... everybody understands the business of the NFL, contract years, prove-it deals, etc... This isn't a revolutionary new concept here. 

This is a classic case of a team looking to upgrade a roster spot with an addition they think "can be" the guy. However, they want him to prove that he is the guy before committing resources beyond this season. For all we know, the move could motivate LeBlanc to "win" the battle for the starting nickel spot. Personally, I think LeBlanc could win this battle. Either way, we would find out which guy to extend beyond this season. 

• Like 1

@brkmsn

I agree that the Eagles think he could be really good, but have to see him perform very well in their system before offering an extension. I hope he's great.

Well then if they want him to "Prove it" as you say then he is not a top 5 nickel corner yet. Better wording would be Eagles feel he can be a top 5 slot corner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Either way, we would find out which guy to extend beyond this season. 

I don't think it's that easy. We also have Wallace, Jones, Maddox and Mills as potential slot corners. So there are a lot of different directions that we could go for that position, including just drafting one next year.

There really isn't a lot of knowns about both the secondary right now beyond the fact that McLeod will be the FS for the next two seasons and Slay will be a corner for a while. After that, anything could happen.

I don't know how Robey-Coleman and Parks fit into the team's plans after this season, especially with the salary cap situation they are facing. The same is true for Mills, Jones and Douglas. I get that signing Parks and Robey-Coleman made sense this year because they were so cheap. And if they decide to keep them, they won't break the bank. But I don't think either guy is a game changer, and it's a tough ask to give them long-term deals when Maddox and Walllace can probably do what they do essentially for free next season.

I don't get Mills getting $4 million this year, unless they see him as a replacement for McLeod. Certainly nothing in his play has indicated that he is anything other than a solid placeholder until somebody better comes along.

Hopefully we will have some guys rise to the top this season and bring some clarity to the secondary. But I am not holding my breath. It hasn't happened yet for the majority of the guys we have on the roster, and aside from Slay, the new additions don't seem to be appreciably different.  

15 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well then if they want him to "Prove it" as you say then he is not a top 5 nickel corner yet. Better wording would be Eagles feel he can be a top 5 slot corner. 

There is no quote in that article from the Eagles. You're kind of hung up on the writer's title. 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

There is no quote in that article from the Eagles. You're kind of hung up on the writer's title. 

Actually hung up on the entire article which is what the point of my posts are about, lol. What are you even talking about if your not discussing the article above?