GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ New England Patriots, 9-10-23, 4:25 PM EST

EagleJoe8

the onus is on Brian Johnson, Not Hurts....Bill B showed the league how to defend the RPO/Hurts...and it worked...take away the Zeke fumble, and the Slay pick 6 and NE wins that game...

Six  3 and outs in a row was it?

Bill B rushed 5 and had 6 DBs who took away the crossing routes...so again the onus is on Brian Johnson to figure out a way to beat this type of defense...because we will probably see it a lot going forward..hopefully he can figure out how to counteract it..or yeah it will be a long season of disappointment. 

16 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Last year I saw 90% of predetermined passes to Brown or Smith, that ain't reading defenses. 

yeah it seems some were predetermined to Goedert as well, I don't know the exact percentage but our offense was really good so Hurts didn't have to go to his 3rd or 4th option much. 

45 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

yeah it seems some were predetermined to Goedert as well, I don't know the exact percentage but our offense was really good so Hurts didn't have to go to his 3rd or 4th option much. 

Goedert’s numbers were actually very good before he got hurt. For his career at that time he had his third most receptions and second most yards, but he only played in 12 games. That guy is just mad that his boy Quez Watkins didn’t catch 100 passes last year as if he’s good enough to do it. The thing about the Eagles offense a lot of it is dictated by what the defense does and in particular the safeties. The Pats did a really good job of not telling what they were doing, controlling the outside rush while getting pass rush. The gave zone looks while being in man and vice versa. Most teams aren’t going to completely change up their concepts in just a weeks time, but Belicheat had a long time to prepare and implement his defensive schemes. I would be concerned if we don’t see adjustments from our OC if other teams continue to try and do what the Patriots did, but honestly most football people aren’t going to make these kinds of changes just for one team they’re playing for one week. 

2 hours ago, MF POON said:

The offense looked exactly how I expected them to look with them not playing in the preseason, rusty.  Week 1 was crazy - Giants can't score, Bills lose as Allen plays like a rookie, and Rodgers hurts his achilles,  

Chiefs lost, Bengals got blown out by the Browns too.

Pats D played well, but there were a lot of reads/throws Jalen didn't make (I think) due to rust. They even showed how receivers were open on some of the underneath routes that Hurts decided to air it out on. Plays like that I fully expect Hurts to make better decisions on as everyone gets back into the swing of things.

Hate that I was right about Rodgers. Hate to see it. What's up with these Achilles tears. Seems like a lot. 2 on our team alone.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:09 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Every year people talk about the schedule. The NFC East had three playoff teams last year so apparently that schedule wasn’t a weak as people told us. There are always teams that look good one year and fall off the next. 

The one I don't put a lot of stock in is the draft, every year it seems like they're saying it's a weak draft.  As far as the schedule goes, I think there is merit to playing a last place schedule vs a first place schedule.  Granted some teams will not do as well as expected, just like those that had a first place schedule with the Eagles on it after they won the SB, but for the most part, most teams that did well the previous year don't fall off a cliff as the Eagles did after their SB victory.

I'll say this much, I won't be surprised if the Eagles don't make the playoffs this year due to coaching and years of neglecting the LB, RB, and CB positions.  I don't think the Eagles' coaches  have the balls to do exactly what Belichick did on defense......they have the horses for it with Jobe, Brown. Ricks, and Morrow.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

The one I don't put a lot of stock in is the draft, every year it seems like they're saying it's a weak draft.  As far as the schedule goes, I think there is merit to playing a last place schedule vs a first place schedule.  Granted some teams will not do as well as expected, just like those that had a first place schedule with the Eagles on it after they won the SB, but for the most part, most teams that did well the previous year don't fall off a cliff as the Eagles did after their SB victory.

I'll say this much, I won't be surprised if the Eagles don't make the playoffs this year due to coaching and years of neglecting the LB, RB, and CB positions.  I don't think the Eagles' coaches  have the balls to do exactly what Belichick did on defense......they have the horses for it with Jobe, Brown. Ricks, and Morrow.

I don’t think we should read too much into one game. To be honest even when the Eagles were good last year they had games where the offense struggled too. The Texans, Commanders, and the last Giants game were all games where the Eagles struggled. Non since or point to over analyzing a victory. I get being concerned about what we saw. It wasn’t pretty to say the least, but Belicheat lost so let’s stop acting like he got the W. 

18 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

To be honest even when the Eagles were good last year they had games where the offense struggled too. 

So it's a matter of will the real Eagles stand up.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:52 PM, EagleVA said:

So it's a matter of will the real Eagles stand up.

I think it’s more a matter of being a little patient with them. They played two games in 5 days. Doesn’t leave a lot of time to gameplan effectively, recuperate from games, recover from injuries, and strategize for the next opponent. The Eagles couldn’t throw everything at the Patriots for example because they had to also prepare as much as possible for the Vikings game. Two teams had to endure this in week one. The Eagles and Vikings. The Eagles are 2-0 and the Vikings are 0-2. Now they have 10 days to recoup, recover, repair, prepare, and gameplan. I expect a much better performance as a whole, but I don’t fully expect them to really hit their stride until October barring no very significant extended injuries. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles are 2-0 and the Vikings are 0-2. Now they have 10 days to recoup, recover, repair, prepare, and gameplan. I expect a much better performance as a whole, but I don’t fully expect them to really hit their stride until October barring no very significant extended injuries. 

This this this! 100%. With 10 days to plan prepare and recover I do expect a much better performance next Sunday. But I’m also not expecting them to look like the team they did last year. And to be honest we shouldn’t want to.

The league is getting caught up in SF and Dallas looking so good. Both have played average to bad teams and who wants to play their best football in September? Year after year we see teams start hot and fade whilst the best teams get better as the year progresses.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This this this! 100%. With 10 days to plan prepare and recover I do expect a much better performance next Sunday. But I’m also not expecting them to look like the team they did last year. And to be honest we shouldn’t want to.

The league is getting caught up in SF and Dallas looking so good. Both have played average to bad teams and who wants to play their best football in September? Year after year we see teams start hot and fade whilst the best teams get better as the year progresses.

The teams that come out overly strong typically fade at the end. We want to be peaking in the winter not the fall.  We are prepping for the winter just keep getting the ugly Ws.

Winter is coming.

26 minutes ago, judunno said:

The teams that come out overly strong typically fade at the end. We want to be peaking in the winter not the fall.  We are prepping for the winter just keep getting the ugly Ws.

Winter is coming.

Completely agree! Right now it’s about getting the wins. There were concerns about a SB hangover and getting off to a slow start. Well performance wise we have but we have 2 wins from 2. That’s what matters right now.

Winter is coming.

Archived