GDT: Minnesota Vikings @ Philadelphia Eagles 9-14-23 8:15 PM EST

EagleJoe8

10 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

They were trying too hard to feed aj

Agree, that was a bit of a red flag. The team was winning and AJ was throwing a bit of a fit over his lack of targets. Not an ideal mindset.

10 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Being without Bradberry, Blankenship, Maddox and Dean isn't helping the coverage. That's a lot to overcome, but we have managed so far. 

It was happening in Week 1 too, so, no different

It's clear that the Eagles passing game struggles against this particular defensive scheme. Is this called the Tampa 2?

Seems to me they at times they rush with 6 players or drop 5-6-7 players into coverage. With 5-7 players in Zone is something Hurts struggles with and the O coordinator is not changing routes to get players open. Slants, Crossing Routes and Dig routes would seem to be the best option.

26 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Agree, that was a bit of a red flag. The team was winning and AJ was throwing a bit of a fit over his lack of targets. Not an ideal mindset.

Didn't something similar happen in playoff game vs giants?

42 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

yeah...they could've iced the game on that possession but they kept throwing bombs to aj instead of running a normal offense....and then got sacked out of fg range. :nonono:  

7 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

This'll sound strange coming from an Eagles fan, but I thought the officiating was pretty good tonight.  I only saw one play to really complain about.  (Missed PI against Brown in the end zone.)

Really?  Sweat and Graham got held badly, on a dozen or so plays and they called it maybe once or twice?  Yet they called very minor holds on Penny, taking a TD away from Brown, and on Dickerson killing one of our drives.  I mean sure, as Eagles fans we've had far worse/more infamous officiating against us over the years, but I certainly didn't consider that "pretty good". 

53 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

They need to take that "C" off of AJ's jersey.

Yeah captains shouldn't behave like that. Terrible example, always seems to be the highly paid WRs with massive egos that do it too.

Some thoughts.

Jordan Davis is playing much better in his 2nd year, he's collapsing the pocket and getting great rush.  Jalen Carter hasn't actually played as many snaps, like with Davis last year they are slowly rotating the rookie in.  Obviously Carter looks great as well.  Should be a great tandem for years.  However, the D line should have more sacks and disrupting the passing game.  2 weeks in a row a QB threw for big gains.

Hurts had 12 carries (includes the QB Sneaks).  He had 9 last week.  If they were successful that would be one thing, but he looks confused and lost at times and then goes nowhere.  He's still missing open receivers although not as bad as last week.  On his INT, Goedert was once again WIDE open out in space and could have easily got the YAC for the 1st down.  Instead, he threw into double coverage and it was terribly placed for his receiver and easy for the defender to intercept.

The O line isn't pass protecting well enough, so Hurts is scrambling for his life.  Some of THOSE plays are when he should tuck and run if there's an opening, instead he's trying to find a receiver which is understandable.  But other times on RPO or designed QB runs he looks lost.  One of the guys on Good Morning Football on NFLN said the offense looks more 2021 than 2022 and he's right.  They should be the new greatest show on turf with this run game, 2 great receivers and a really good TE.  This won't fly against the tougher teams.

Desai deserves credit considering the injuries on defense and only his 2nd game as DC against a tough passing offense.  If he can improve each week, and get the players back healthy soon then that's a good sign so far.  A lot to improve though.

AJ Brown sideline moment.  A WR arguing he wants the ball is so common, people shouldn't make much out of it.  Lots of teams have these "blow ups" on the sidelines then the players move on and it's fine.  AJ and Jalen are friends, they will move past it.  Of course as others said, they shouldn't have forced the ball to him in the following series.  Just run a balanced offense and take what the defense is giving you.

Decent LB play considering the injuries.  Morrow was cut a couple weeks ago, Cunningham played bad last week and did a good job last night. The LBs are the weak spot on the defense and no one expects that much from them, but considering all the factors they played well.  If the D line gets more pressure and the secondary is healthy plus having Nakobe back then good signs for them to improve and make progress.

Overall, great to be 2-0 but they should be way more efficient on offense.  Against better teams they're going to need to do way better in the passing game. 

Swift should be the #1 RB option, and then let Gainwell be 2, or 3 behind Scott. Penny looks absolutely done. Maybe he'll play better later on, but he just looks slow and like he has no burst.

31 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Yeah captains shouldn't behave like that. Terrible example, always seems to be the highly paid WRs with massive egos that do it too.

Eh, to be fair Hurts has been pretty off with his reads. There's were plays where both Dallas and AJ were open, so I understood his frustration.  I think AJ can be a bit of a diva though, but he's a WR so it's to be expected lol.

10 hours ago, Swimm said:

Wentz 2.0 vibes all over. This is exactly how he played after ther Super bowl run.

Hurts was taking bad sacks last year too. I was hoping this was the one area he improved over the off-season. 

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

It was happening in Week 1 too, so, no different

Yeah, I mean we knew going in we were suspect at LB and S and there would be coverage issues.  But every time Maddox gets hurt (every year) there's a noticeable decline in our pass defense. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Overall, great to be 2-0 but they should be way more efficient on offense.  Against better teams they're going to need to do way better in the passing game. 

Yeah, two ugly wins but I’ll take them. The offense improved from game 1 to game 2 so let’s just hope they continue to improve week to week. We don’t want to peak too early, I’d rather peak at the right time. 

I wonder how much of Hurts' struggles are due to coaching and game-planning.  From everything that we've been told, Hurts is a personality who is driven to improve, and yet, he's visibly regressed quite a bit.  Cousins was much better than Hurts last night.

35 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

I wonder how much of Hurts' struggles are due to coaching and game-planning.  From everything that we've been told, Hurts is a personality who is driven to improve, and yet, he's visibly regressed quite a bit.  Cousins was much better than Hurts last night.

I wouldn't say he was much better, and I wouldn't say Hurts has regressed either. I think the issues are rust and a new play-caller more than anything.

Cousins' stat line was more impressive, but it should be that way, seeing as he threw the ball almost 2x as much and also had to dig the Vikings out of a hole.  Hurts had a pretty good day throwing minus the bad INT, but he also didn't need to air it out due to our run game.  He also had a nice TD pass to Brown that got called back due to a penalty, and another pass that should've been a TD, but the defender got there early and should've been flagged for PI (imo).  I agree that he's struggling some, but I don't think fans need to be overly concerned.

11 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Hurts had a pretty good day throwing minus the bad INT, but he also didn't need to air it out due to our run game.

That is not what happened.  Hurts was having a bad day. He was failing to find open receivers, and failing to hit some of those he did see.  And the Vikings were prepared for him running, so he wasn't having any success there either.  Hurts didn't throw less because the running game was working.  That's backwards.  We adjusted our gameplan and relied more on the run because Hurts wasn't making the passing game work.  The running game bailed out the offense when the passing game struggled.

48 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

I think it's a mix, but I'm disappointed in all of it.  Yes, they lost Steichen and BJ is a first time OC, but he was the QB coach and should know the system.  The expectation was that Brian Johnson would bring consistency moving up vs Desai coming from another organization.

I expect a lot more from Hurts, preseason snaps or not.  The hesitancy, decision making, missing open receivers, running too much...it does look like the 2021 offense instead of last year's improvements.  The O line also is not doing well in pass blocking, he's running for his life, looking for lanes to run, etc.  The run blocking on O line, the RBs and the receivers are doing great.  Hurts, O line pass protection and coaching/play calling need to get better immediately.

Pass protection is an issue, but so is a defense that sends one more guy than there are blockers. Two weeks in a row. Hurts has been sacked and made to run for his life. They contain the outside and that's why he can't RPO is way out of it.

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Being without Bradberry, Blankenship, Maddox and Dean isn't helping the coverage. That's a lot to overcome, but we have managed so far. 

They have also had two quarterbacks go over 300 yards against them and neither of them are world beaters. If always choking on prime time Cousins and Jones can do that then what does Mahomes do?

I don’t see the Eagles having 4 legit backs. I think they have one legit guy who has had a lot of injury issues. How ironic is it everyone was worried about Swift when it’s been Gainwell and Scott going down? Also is it just me or does Penny just looked cooked? No burst when he ran, and late on his pass block. Everyone thought the backs were set, but in reality that position looks very troubling if Swift goes down for any extended period of time.

10 hours ago, Infam said:

I’ve seen him throw perfect deep bombs. If anything he has thrown too far more than too short. Not enough arm strength is total bull.

Yawn. Heard that for way too long now.

First game of the season and then a short week. And we won both. Not scary at all.

In agreement all of your takes. In fact the throw Hurts made to Brown where he got tackled (no flag) Brown realized he wasn’t running fast enough to catch the past and had to try and catch up. He also threw the bomb to Smith which was a touchdown widen he was getting hit by a defender. I feel like this offense doesn’t work the intermediate passing game nearly as often as it should. It’s either screens, dump offs, in routes or bombs. They almost ignore 10-15 yard plays. 

As bad as the secondary played it was good experience for those backups. They played as I expected and we still won. Maybe they learned a few things. 😂

Archived