Hey International Eagles Fans

UK_EaglesFan89

New Forum New Thread guys. 

If you're an International Eagles fans then share your stories and experiences.

Ever been to an Eagles game? Ever been to the Linc?

Why did you choose to support the Eagles? What's the story there. 

And to our American compatriots come give us hell. It's what you guys do best right?

😁

Enjoy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Moderator12 said:

?

Are you having access issues?

No I'm having "Sorry you cannot add any more reactions today" issues...lol.

is it possible to up the amount of likes (reactions) we can have in a day? Seems like it's at 25 now. 

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

No I'm having "Sorry you cannot add any more reactions today" issues...lol.

is it possible to up the amount of likes (reactions) we can have in a day? Seems like it's at 25 now. 

Looking at the settinigs, it is currently at 100, same as the EMB.  

Can you keep an eye on it and see if its really 25?  (remember, it works on a rolling clock, so 100 within any 24 hour period)

5 minutes ago, Moderator12 said:

Looking at the settinigs, it is currently at 100, same as the EMB.  

Can you keep an eye on it and see if its really 25?  (remember, it works on a rolling clock, so 100 within any 24 hour period)

OK got it. Thanks @Moderator12

Looks like I "Clock Blocked" myself!!

• Like 1

i've been to the linc several times. i think i attended almost 15 games, which isn't bad, all things considered. unfortunately, a lot of losses. probably half. i've been blessed with great encounters. the atmosphere is unique, particularly if like me you had never attended such an event, in any sport, in such a venue, of your whole life.

nothing compares to the feeling of being together with other fans. in real life, here in france, i watch games by myself, which is quite sad. but i'm the wrong gender and age and geographical location to meet nfl fans, let alone eagles fans. thank goodness i can correspond with my son during games, even if he doesn't live at home anymore. we can still goof around and mock the team or get incensed from a distance !

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, frenchladyfan said:

i've been to the linc several times. i think i attended almost 15 games, which isn't bad, all things considered. unfortunately, a lot of losses. probably half. i've been blessed with great encounters. the atmosphere is unique, particularly if like me you had never attended such an event, in any sport, in such a venue, of your whole life.

nothing compares to the feeling of being together with other fans. in real life, here in france, i watch games by myself, which is quite sad. but i'm the wrong gender and age and geographical location to meet nfl fans, let alone eagles fans. thank goodness i can correspond with my son during games, even if he doesn't live at home anymore. we can still goof around and mock the team or get incensed from a distance !

You weren't on the board back during Super Bowl LII, were you? I take it you were able to see the game? It was a great, day for Eagles fans, wasn't it?

As for watching games alone, I prefer to watch alone, to tell you the truth. That dates all the way back to the late 70's-early 80's. Two of my brothers are Redskins fans, and we'd always argue during games, so our mother would send us to different rooms to watch, and since I'm the only Eagles fan in the family, I wound up watching alone. 

That makes it easier to concentrate on the game though. Other people around me tend to distract me from the game. 

Of course, for the past 20 years, I've watch games with the EMB community, in the gameday threads. 

Have you been to London for any of the London series? Maybe when the Eagles played the Jags?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, frenchladyfan said:

I can echo this. Watching games on your own or only with a couple of friends (who don't support the Eagles) isn't quite the same. Having to get up at 1am GMT isn't the same either but we do it because we are committed passionate fans.

I still remember the Vikings game in the NFC Championship team in 2017/18. Sat there at 4am but in the best of moods. Sat there thinking that less than 2 months prior I had sat there at the same time in the morning thinking our season was over when Wentz went down against the Rams.

So many happy memories.

• Like 1

oh i watched the superbowl with my son, he had asked for permission from work, he is in the military, to not be at work on the monday, so he drove to my house and we watched and went crazy and there was a lot of champagne, and tears. like two big idiots. i was so happy. i still cry when i watch it again. every darn time hahah.

i will try to take part more in this new forum, notably on game days/nights, as i had become pretty 'non regular' on the previous one...

and, believe it or not, it's cheaper for me to go to philly than to london, even though i'm much nearer physically.

as for the pleasure of night games with 6 hours delay, or 5 in case of uk fans, it's getting harder and harder as i grow older. i used to watch all the nfl i could, eagles or not. now, i have to select my night games, more often than not restricting them to the sole eagles games, as i can't make it anymore i'm too tired. 

but i's ingrained in me, the time difference. once, a few years ago, i can't remember who was playing but i was interested in a night game, i was in philly at my friend's place. like a good girl i waited till it was 2am and turned on the tv. of course the game had come and gone, but i was so conditioned to equate night game with 2 am that i had forgotten that i was in the usa ! what a twit.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, frenchladyfan said:

and, believe it or not, it's cheaper for me to go to philly than to london, even though i'm much nearer physically.

That is crazy. I mean I can believe it but it is crazy to think isn't it!

well in philly i have people who can put me up, so it's very easy to stay for a very long time and 'compensate' the cost of the flight by attending two or three games, playing tourist, going up and down on the coast, etc.

in london, well,... you know the prices... it's a very expensive city. so, per game, so to speak, it's much cheaper for me to go to philly. plus it's friendlier. brotherly love, and whatnot. :):)

• Like 2

Ok, got into watching the NFL in the late 80s.

Decided after a year or two I needed a dog in the fight, so to speak.

Most other folks in the UK seemed to be Niners, Raiders, Skins and Giants fans judging by the jerseys you saw back then.

Never one to follow the herd and be a glory hunter (UK, you'll confirm that from my English football team 🤣).

Eagles seemed a fun team back then.

Randall, THAT defense 😲.

Keith Byars block on Pepper Johnson sealed it - ok this is the team for me.

Didn't realise back then what I was letting myself in for.

All those NFCCGs (the Bucs game, AAARRGGHH)

Despairing at the points left on the field in 2004 Super Bowl.

Convinced the Eagles name was on it in 2008.

All the torment went away on that night in Minneapolis :towel:.

Haven't been to the Linc for a game - no excuse, it's a doddle from Manchester.

I will do it soon - hopefully.

Went to the London game, it was awesome. The whole weekend.

Eagles fans everywhere around the city, hardly any Jags.

Same at the game, met some great folks who had come over for the game, truly passionate fans.

Loved it.

Really have to get to a home game before I'm too old.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, gregbwfc1 said:

Ok, got into watching the NFL in the late 80s.

Decided after a year or two I needed a dog in the fight, so to speak.

Most other folks in the UK seemed to be Niners, Raiders, Skins and Giants fans judging by the jerseys you saw back then.

Never one to follow the herd and be a glory hunter (UK, you'll confirm that from my English football team 🤣).

Eagles seemed a fun team back then.

Randall, THAT defense 😲.

Keith Byars block on Pepper Johnson sealed it - ok this is the team for me.

Didn't realise back then what I was letting myself in for.

All those NFCCGs (the Bucs game, AAARRGGHH)

Despairing at the points left on the field in 2004 Super Bowl.

Convinced the Eagles name was on it in 2008.

All the torment went away on that night in Minneapolis :towel:.

Haven't been to the Linc for a game - no excuse, it's a doddle from Manchester.

I will do it soon - hopefully.

Went to the London game, it was awesome. The whole weekend.

Eagles fans everywhere around the city, hardly any Jags.

Same at the game, met some great folks who had come over for the game, truly passionate fans.

Loved it.

Really have to get to a home game before I'm too old.

Were you an Eagles fan when they played in London in the pre-season in 1989 and 1991?

Yes I was and went to the game in 91.

Played the Bills. Lost 😟

Was no internet back then so wasnt able to follow things like we can now.

Was disappointed when a lot of the starters left after the first half.

Didnt realise it was standard stuff in pre season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frenchladyfan said:

yup, prior to the internet life was pretty miserable, nfl-wise...

I grew up in Maryland, just 5 miles from the White House in a house with Redskins fans (and a Raiders fan). That was in the 70's and 80's. Not only no internet, but only Redskins news in the newspaper (Washington Post and Washington Star), and on the TV news... and on game days, I rarely ever got to see the Eagles unless the Redskins were playing the Eagles. On the rare occasion that the Eagles were on (but not playing the Redskins), I was relegated to a 13" black and white TV. 

I used to live for MNF's halftime highlights in the hope that they'd play some Eagles highlights. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I grew up in Maryland, just 5 miles from the White House in a house with Redskins fans (and a Raiders fan). That was in the 70's and 80's. Not only no internet, but only Redskins news in the newspaper (Washington Post and Washington Star), and on the TV news... and on game days, I rarely ever got to see the Eagles unless the Redskins were playing the Eagles. On the rare occasion that the Eagles were on (but not playing the Redskins), I was relegated to a 13" black and white TV. 

I used to live for MNF's halftime highlights in the hope that they'd play some Eagles highlights. 

Interested to know why you decided to be an Eagles fan given your location and the fact that clearly the Eagles back then weren't the best team.

How good were the Skins and Raiders back then ?

Think Oakland won it in '76 ?

There must have been something that hooked you.

12 minutes ago, gregbwfc1 said:

Interested to know why you decided to be an Eagles fan given your location and the fact that clearly the Eagles back then weren't the best team.

How good were the Skins and Raiders back then ?

Think Oakland won it in '76 ?

There must have been something that hooked you.

My brothers still kind of tease me to this day (and I'm 51 now), about how I picked the Eagles. 

Back in the 70's (and earlier), some of the department stores would send out big catalogs of the merchandise that they sold. If I remember right, they'd send out two per year. One in the Winter and one in the Spring.

In the back of the catalog, they had the toy section. As a kid (under the age of 5 or 6), I'd love to look at all the toys. One of the items that they sold were NFL helmets/uniforms. Similar to the image below, though that page is from a 1973 catalog and the one that I looked through was like 1974. I say that because the Eagles changed from the white helmet to the Kelly Green one in 1974 and the helmet that I would have seen was Kelly Green. 

9003639dbf0dba584141339995b07624.jpg.135ba876084cd2ef7b58c29af03bea2c.jpg

Anyway, I'd stare at those helmets, looking at each one. The one that really 'grabbed' my attention was the green one with the cool looking wings. Keep in mind, I was 5 or 6 at the time, so I knew very little about football. I knew who Joe Namath was (I saw him on the Brady Bunch and he was otherwise pretty famous... in fact, when Bennie and the Jets came out and was on the radio, I thought it was about Joe Namath and the NY Jets lol), and I knew who OJ Simpson was. Aside form that, I didn't know a whole lot about the teams or players. 

But I really latched onto that green helmet with the cool looking wings. So fast forward a few years to 1978, when I was 9 years old and knew a bit more about the sport, the players and the teams. I still had that attachment to the green helmet with the cool wings, so I just stuck with them and they became my favorite team.

The thing that my brothers tease me about is because one day (in 1978), we were arguing about football and I was insisting that I didn't like the Redskins. So one of them asked me who my favorite team was, and it just so happened that the Eagles were on TV and I was watching them. So I pointed at the TV and said 'The Eagles!'. They think that I just randomly picked whoever was on the screen at that moment, so they tease me about that. But I had picked the Eagles out of that Montgomery Ward catalog toy section, a few years earlier. Or maybe it was the Eagles who picked me? It was fate!

As for the Raiders and Redskins, the Redskins went to Super Bowl VII (the 1972 season), which is just slightly before my memory of most NFL history begins (aside from Namath and Simpson) and the Raiders won Super Bowl XI (the 1976 season). But it wasn't the 1970's that were specifically 'hard' on me, it was the 1980's. The Raiders beat the Eagles in Super Bowl XV and the Redskins won Super Bowl's XVII and XXII. Those were the hard parts for me lol. 

• Like 2

we had a guy that would come to our tailgates that lived in france. American dude working and living there, was a poster here (illez iggles I think) and decided to hang out one game, then another, and another. haven't seen him a long time though.

23 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

My brothers still kind of tease me to this day (and I'm 51 now), about how I picked the Eagles. 

Back in the 70's (and earlier), some of the department stores would send out big catalogs of the merchandise that they sold. If I remember right, they'd send out two per year. One in the Winter and one in the Spring.

In the back of the catalog, they had the toy section. As a kid (under the age of 5 or 6), I'd love to look at all the toys. One of the items that they sold were NFL helmets/uniforms. Similar to the image below, though that page is from a 1973 catalog and the one that I looked through was like 1974. I say that because the Eagles changed from the white helmet to the Kelly Green one in 1974 and the helmet that I would have seen was Kelly Green. 

9003639dbf0dba584141339995b07624.jpg.135ba876084cd2ef7b58c29af03bea2c.jpg

Anyway, I'd stare at those helmets, looking at each one. The one that really 'grabbed' my attention was the green one with the cool looking wings. Keep in mind, I was 5 or 6 at the time, so I knew very little about football. I knew who Joe Namath was (I saw him on the Brady Bunch and he was otherwise pretty famous... in fact, when Bennie and the Jets came out and was on the radio, I thought it was about Joe Namath and the NY Jets lol), and I knew who OJ Simpson was. Aside form that, I didn't know a whole lot about the teams or players. 

But I really latched onto that green helmet with the cool looking wings. So fast forward a few years to 1978, when I was 9 years old and knew a bit more about the sport, the players and the teams. I still had that attachment to the green helmet with the cool wings, so I just stuck with them and they became my favorite team.

The thing that my brothers tease me about is because one day (in 1978), we were arguing about football and I was insisting that I didn't like the Redskins. So one of them asked me who my favorite team was, and it just so happened that the Eagles were on TV and I was watching them. So I pointed at the TV and said 'The Eagles!'. They think that I just randomly picked whoever was on the screen at that moment, so they tease me about that. But I had picked the Eagles out of that Montgomery Ward catalog toy section, a few years earlier. Or maybe it was the Eagles who picked me? It was fate!

As for the Raiders and Redskins, the Redskins went to Super Bowl VII (the 1972 season), which is just slightly before my memory of most NFL history begins (aside from Namath and Simpson) and the Raiders won Super Bowl XI (the 1976 season). But it wasn't the 1970's that were specifically 'hard' on me, it was the 1980's. The Raiders beat the Eagles in Super Bowl XV and the Redskins won Super Bowl's XVII and XXII. Those were the hard parts for me lol. 

Kudos on picking the Eagles then, at the very least, you could never be accused of being a glory hunter.

Been to the US a lot on vacation. Whenever the conversation turned to football, there was always a lot of wincing when I said I followed our team.

Heard the words "that's a tough watch " more than once.

I kind of went through the same as a kid with our football.

Had my team picked for me (dad and closest). Not one of the successful clubs for me. School was hard ☹️.

Was thinking 1980 must have been really tough for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with the Eagles in the late 80's. I worked with a couple of guys who followed the NFL - 1 a skins fan, the other with the Raiders - so i had to choose a team. At that time in the UK i rmember we got a 1 hour sunday afternoon highlights show from the week before. I guess they must have been showing a lot of the Eagles D at that time as Reggie, Seth and Clyde just grabbed my attention. In those days we had access to a VideoTex terminal for work purposes so we rigged up a hidden aeriel. Without the boss around we could get most of the results from just the night before. Incredible :) If the signal was too bad then someone would go get a newspaper for the results Tuesday morning. 

At the time i got myself a #92 jersey, and promised myself i'd wear it to my first game. Finally last year it came out of storage and it went to its first game with me in tow - the season opener at the Linc. For me a truly  great day. Strange fabric though, 30 years in storage and it had shrunk soooo much 😁

I'm now living in France. As frenchladyfan says, it's hard enough to find other NFL fans here let alone Eagles Fans...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

not sure if I qualify as an "international fan". I retired to SE Asia in 2017. I've spent most of that time in Chiang Mai Thailand, but popped over here to Ho Chi Minh Vietnam to avoid the dreaded "burning season" in Chiang Mai for 3 months at the end of January 2020. So naturally I got "trapped" here, and am just killing time waiting for The Thai's to losen up the entry regs.to go back "home" to CM. I was on these boards for aout 20 years under the name "neal_c60", but shut down the email account that name was linked to, hence my new ID.

Anywho... anyone have any questions about expat retirement, life in SEAsia (but accept that I know jack crap about hookers, and don't drink, so food, condo's and travel stuff will get  better answers), visa stuff ect., feel free to drop a reply here.

I'm from Australia.  Probably been following the Eagles since the mid 2000s.  Not sure why I picked them, but once I pick a team there's no chance of changing.  Picked my Rugby League team the same way, with no direct affiliation, and I've been "with them" since the 80s.  One of them played for college football for Hawaii many years ago (Paul Sironen - if you're interested/want to look it up). 

I've not been to the Linc, nor to any of the games anywhere else.  I do plan on getting to one eventually, but not until Covid-19 is a distant memory.  I've been to the states a few times, but things just haven't lined up for me (game wise).

My favourite player is Ertz.  Hoping he sticks around, but that is looking very, very unlikely at this stage.  

Anyway, this forum looks to be the goods.  I wanted a chance to share in the conversation other Eagles tragics, but still with a sense of decorum, which this forum seems to maintain.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Does Long Island count? 😎 Deep in Jets territory, I watched the Eagles every time they played the Giants, and of course on their first SB run against Tom & the Pats. Good friend of mine sent me a bunch of NFL game day promo flags from London.