Hey International Eagles Fans

UK_EaglesFan89

On 4/23/2020 at 1:52 AM, frenchladyfan said:

i've been to the linc several times. i think i attended almost 15 games, which isn't bad, all things considered. unfortunately, a lot of losses. probably half. i've been blessed with great encounters. the atmosphere is unique, particularly if like me you had never attended such an event, in any sport, in such a venue, of your whole life.

nothing compares to the feeling of being together with other fans. in real life, here in france, i watch games by myself, which is quite sad. but i'm the wrong gender and age and geographical location to meet nfl fans, let alone eagles fans. thank goodness i can correspond with my son during games, even if he doesn't live at home anymore. we can still goof around and mock the team or get incensed from a distance !

Are you a French lady who is a fan, or a fan of French ladies? 😍

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 1:59 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I grew up in Maryland, just 5 miles from the White House in a house with Redskins fans (and a Raiders fan). That was in the 70's and 80's. Not only no internet, but only Redskins news in the newspaper (Washington Post and Washington Star), and on the TV news... and on game days, I rarely ever got to see the Eagles unless the Redskins were playing the Eagles. On the rare occasion that the Eagles were on (but not playing the Redskins), I was relegated to a 13" black and white TV. 

I used to live for MNF's halftime highlights in the hope that they'd play some Eagles highlights. 

I was just telling my son, while we were watching the current "fastest three minutes" crap show of highlights, how great and essential the old MNF halftime highlights used to be. Those were the days, my friend...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big___Al said:

I was just telling my son, while we were watching the current "fastest three minutes" crap show of highlights, how great and essential the old MNF halftime highlights used to be. Those were the days, my friend...

Yeah, I'm sure it's difficult to for younger people who've lived in a fully connected world where the Internet, cable TV and Sunday Ticket all have existed for all (or most) of their lives, to understand what it was like in the 70's, 80's and older decades. 

I remember the sheer excitement and joy that I had when I discovered a newsstand that carried the Philadelphia Inquirer. If I remember right, they only got the Sunday and Monday editions... and I'm not sure now, that the Sunday edition was there on Sunday or if it was delayed until Monday. But I'd get them whenever I could. 

I also remember the sheer excitement and joy when, in the mid 1990's (maybe 1994), when I discovered the Philadelphia Inquirer online and a couple of years later, the first Eagles website (I saw a sign during a game on TV advertising it). I no longer needed to go searching for Eagles news, it was all at my fingertips with a few clicks of the mouse and a little typing on the keyboard. 

Of course, a few years later, I discovered the original EMB (that link is from about a year after I found it) and the rest is history.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's difficult to for younger people who've lived in a fully connected world where the Internet, cable TV and Sunday Ticket all have existed for all (or most) of their lives, to understand what it was like in the 70's, 80's and older decades. 

I remember the sheer excitement and joy that I had when I discovered a newsstand that carried the Philadelphia Inquirer. If I remember right, they only got the Sunday and Monday editions... and I'm not sure now, that the Sunday edition was there on Sunday or if it was delayed until Monday. But I'd get them whenever I could. 

I also remember the sheer excitement and joy when, in the mid 1990's (maybe 1994), when I discovered the Philadelphia Inquirer online and a couple of years later, the first Eagles website (I saw a sign during a game on TV advertising it). I no longer needed to go searching for Eagles news, it was all at my fingertips with a few clicks of the mouse and a little typing on the keyboard. 

Of course, a few years later, I discovered the original EMB (that link is from about a year after I found it) and the rest is history.

I'm probably a little bit older than you, but I started watching the NFL in the mid-sixties. Grew up in Philly, but wasn't born there, so initially had little affinity for the local teams. Was a major Rams fan then; the Fearsome Foursome, Roman Gabriel et al. But wow, I remember how essential the newspapers were. Their sports coverage was way better back then, with majorly detailed box scores and stats, which I'd pour over for quite awhile.

How did I end up an Eagles fan? One word: Vermeil. 

1 hour ago, Big___Al said:

I'm probably a little bit older than you, but I started watching the NFL in the mid-sixties. Grew up in Philly, but wasn't born there, so initially had little affinity for the local teams. Was a major Rams fan then; the Fearsome Foursome, Roman Gabriel et al. But wow, I remember how essential the newspapers were. Their sports coverage was way better back then, with majorly detailed box scores and stats, which I'd pour over for quite awhile.

How did I end up an Eagles fan? One word: Vermeil. 

Yeah, I was born in the late 60's and grew up in Maryland. Yeah, I went through the stats in the paper with a fine toothed comb. Then each Spring, I'd buy all of the football magazines that came out, detailing each team and the prospects for the upcoming season. I probably still have a box full of those magazines, up in my attic. I never threw any of them away. 

How did I end up an Eagles fan, growing up in a Redskin household? I guess Montgomery Wards (or maybe it was Sears), can take the credit for that. When I was a kid (before starting school, so probably in the 4 year old age range), I loved looking at the Wards and/or Sears catalogs toy sections. In them, they had NFL uniforms for kids. Of all of the helmets, I was drawn toward that cool green one with the silver wings. I loved the look of that helmet. 

So, around 1976 (I was 7), I formally declared the Eagles as my favorite team. Much to the horror of my older brothers lol. They still tease me to this day because I picked my favorite team from the toy section of a catalog lol. 

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, I was born in the late 60's and grew up in Maryland. Yeah, I went through the stats in the paper with a fine toothed comb. Then each Spring, I'd buy all of the football magazines that came out, detailing each team and the prospects for the upcoming season. I probably still have a box full of those magazines, up in my attic. I never threw any of them away. 

How did I end up an Eagles fan, growing up in a Redskin household? I guess Montgomery Wards (or maybe it was Sears), can take the credit for that. When I was a kid (before starting school, so probably in the 4 year old age range), I loved looking at the Wards and/or Sears catalogs toy sections. In them, they had NFL uniforms for kids. Of all of the helmets, I was drawn toward that cool green one with the silver wings. I loved the look of that helmet. 

So, around 1976 (I was 7), I formally declared the Eagles as my favorite team. Much to the horror of my older brothers lol. They still tease me to this day because I picked my favorite team from the toy section of a catalog lol. 

Wow, forgot about the football magazines. I used to get them all as well. And funny enough, it was probably the Rams helmets that first drew me to them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see how eagles fans from outside America became fans of this team. I’m from Ireland and had always known about American football but I was born in 1985 and until sky sports started showing games in the 1990s did I even have a chance to watch any games. Anyway I remember by 1998/99 I was getting more into the game and wanted to pick a team, and I’ve two reasons why I picked Philadelphia over other teams. One is my aunt went to American when I was younger and she sent back a postcard with the liberty bell on it, and the rocky movies which are set in Philadelphia. So yeah rocky and the liberty bell are the reasons why I picked the eagles. So because it’s 1999, Andy Reid and Donovan Mcnabb hold a special place in my fandom of this team and always will, which is why I was delighted big red got his super bowl ring with the chiefs. 

I’ve never been to a game but it is something I want to do at some point. I will say that international fans of American sports do have to put in a lot of effort to be fans of them. I mean at least in Ireland it can mean staying up late to watch games, and nfl gamepass has helped a lot and I’ve seen every eagles game since 2012 live or as live due to that service. 

And this time last year my grandmother died and while for over twenty years I’ve followed this team, they were there for me to help give me a bit of an escape from that situation, which I’ll always be grateful.

Anyway that’s my story as to why I’m an eagles fan.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EaglesIreland said:

I’ve never been to a game but it is something I want to do at some point. I will say that international fans of American sports do have to put in a lot of effort to be fans of them. I mean at least in Ireland it can mean staying up late to watch games, and nfl gamepass has helped a lot and I’ve seen every eagles game since 2012 live or as live due to that service. 

We can go together my friend!

I agree though it is hard being a fan of an American sports team! Lots of late nights or early starts. 

What's crazy is I have no actual ties to this team or to Philadelphia. I mean I could in theory just decide tomorrow to change the team I follow. And yet I can't. I can't because this is my team and it'll always be my team. 

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We can go together my friend!

I agree though it is hard being a fan of an American sports team! Lots of late nights or early starts. 

What's crazy is I have no actual ties to this team or to Philadelphia. I mean I could in theory just decide tomorrow to change the team I follow. And yet I can't. I can't because this is my team and it'll always be my team. 

Yeah I used to stay up for them all like I did for wwe ppvs on sky but as I’ve said previously, I stayed up late to watch the Red Sox win the World Series in 2014(I think it was) and slept it out and was late for work and tried to joke with my overall boss(who happened to be there that week) about why I was late and sweet Jesus did he not see the funny side of it so after that unless it was a bank holiday I don’t watch the Eagles live on Sunday night football, MNF, or TNF. 

The late great Kevin cadle and nick halling did an awful lot for the NFL in Ireland and the UK. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EaglesIreland said:

Yeah I used to stay up for them all like I did for wwe ppvs on sky but as I’ve said previously, I stayed up late to watch the Red Sox win the World Series in 2014(I think it was) and slept it out and was late for work and tried to joke with my overall boss(who happened to be there that week) about why I was late and sweet Jesus did he not see the funny side of it so after that unless it was a bank holiday I don’t watch the Eagles live on Sunday night football, MNF, or TNF. 

Thankfully we haven't had many Sunday night football, MNF or TNF football games this year! I tend to weigh up the situation. If we are in the mix for the division or the play offs then I'll stay up, or set the alarm, and watch. But if they aren't in the mix then I'll just watch the next morning and try to avoid seeing the result. 

• 3 weeks later...

Late 80s was when I started following American Football. It was shown on UK TV on a Sunday evening and I bought a weekly magazine to keep up with things. The first mag that I bought had an article on Randall Cunningham and the decision was made on the back of that to follow the Eagles.

Was on a flight to Asia when we won the Super Bowl so didn’t get to see the biggest game/achievement in the time of following the Eagles. I did get updates on the flight but wifi was flakey and had to wait till I arrived to check up on the final score.

I met 4 guys from Philadelphia a few weeks back whilst watching Man Utd in the hospitality section at Old Trafford and it was great to chat with guys that watch on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I’ve never been to a game and was out of the country when they played in the UK last year. It’s high up on my bucket list to go to Lincoln field and I will do that in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, Nelson said:

Late 80s was when I started following American Football. It was shown on UK TV on a Sunday evening and I bought a weekly magazine to keep up with things. The first mag that I bought had an article on Randall Cunningham and the decision was made on the back of that to follow the Eagles.

Was on a flight to Asia when we won the Super Bowl so didn’t get to see the biggest game/achievement in the time of following the Eagles. I did get updates on the flight but wifi was flakey and had to wait till I arrived to check up on the final score.

I met 4 guys from Philadelphia a few weeks back whilst watching Man Utd in the hospitality section at Old Trafford and it was great to chat with guys that watch on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I’ve never been to a game and was out of the country when they played in the UK last year. It’s high up on my bucket list to go to Lincoln field and I will do that in the near future.

Thats exactly how ended up following the Eagles since the late 80s. Channel 4 and Gary imlach on a sunday night.

Remember watching that 95 yard pass to fred barnett and being hooked forever

On 4/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

New Forum New Thread guys. 

If you're an International Eagles fans then share your stories and experiences.

Ever been to an Eagles game? Ever been to the Linc?

Why did you choose to support the Eagles? What's the story there. 

And to our American compatriots come give us hell. It's what you guys do best right?

😁

Enjoy. 

Somehow I have never seen this thread.   

I became an Eagles fan after moving to the US in 1989.  Growing up in Perth Western Australia, I followed the Aussie Rules football team the West Coast Eagles.  Future Chargers punter Darren Bennett played for them.

https://eaglepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Darren_Bennett

Started following the NFL in the 89 season, really started getting into it in 1990.  Watched the Eagles the most due to the name, and when I saw the Cunningham 95 yard TD to Fred Barnett I was all in.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Somehow I have never seen this thread.   

I became an Eagles fan after moving to the US in 1989.  Growing up in Perth Western Australia, I followed the Aussie Rules football team the West Coast Eagles.  Future Chargers punter Darren Bennett played for them.

https://eaglepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Darren_Bennett

Started following the NFL in the 89 season, really started getting into it in 1990.  Watched the Eagles the most due to the name, and when I saw the Cunningham 95 yard TD to Fred Barnett I was all in.

How bizarre. Wonder how many fans that play (and Cunningham) converted 

• 3 months later...

Why do Americans say "and how!" to emphasize a point?

It's very irritating.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Arthur Jackson said:

Why do Americans say "and how!" to emphasize a point?

It's very irritating.

maybe you should get one of them shots in your rear, and how, ya know, Arthur?

• 8 months later...

there are often moments during the football year when i'm sort of happy not to be in philly, to be remote from the talk shows and the radio and the idiotic comments, it's pretty nice to be able to sift it all through the internet sieve.

this week however, i miss philly so much.

i'm so tense. i've spent the season in a stupor, always marvelling at this team's results, but at the same time being sort of anticipating a mishap, with the anguish in the tummy and all.  and now they're in the superbowl and i just want the whole thing to be over.  they can win. they should win. they will win. right ?

thanks goodness i won't be alone to watch. champagne is in the fridge, i have all of saturday and sunday to bake goodies like a mad woman.

go birds !!

• 3 months later...

Been a fan of the Eagles since seeing the All or Nothing series at the start of lockdown. Watched every game since and got a decent sized group of us watching most games now! My wife and I are going to Philly for the Vikings game in September and I can't wait! First time to the Linc and tailgating! Need some advice please... we've been looking into it but would appreciate any tips from you guys! Go BIRDS!! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EnglishEagle1980 said:

Been a fan of the Eagles since seeing the All or Nothing series at the start of lockdown. Watched every game since and got a decent sized group of us watching most games now! My wife and I are going to Philly for the Vikings game in September and I can't wait! First time to the Linc and tailgating! Need some advice please... we've been looking into it but would appreciate any tips from you guys! Go BIRDS!! 

Welcome to the EMB! I'm guessing that the 1980 in your name indicates a birth year? That was the season of our first Super Bowl appearance, which unfortunately, was a loss and was probably the first time I ever shed tears over a sporting event (I was 11 at the time). 

You've been a fan since All or Nothing, but did you at least get to see Super Bowl LII before you were a fan?

• Like 1

Thanks! Great to be here! 🙂 Yeah born in 1980! I've watched the super bowl for years and did see the win! I think that's one reason when I watched the All or Nothing (I watched all the different series that were out at the time) I took to the Eagles so much! I'm a big sports fan and have always been a fan of my local football (soccer) team but until lockdown never really understood the NFL in detail. It gave me time to watch and read up on the sport and I now love it! I stayed up until 3am watching the draft! I'm so excited about being at a game and experiencing the whole day... all I keep seeing is how great the Eagles fans are and we can't wait to be part of it! How do the local guys take to foreigners visiting and supporting the Eagles? Is it a common thing and is it seen as a positive? I know some football team supporters in the UK see foreign supporters as tourists and not always keen on them attending.

I’ll be honest… This schedule this year is going to be a killer for us European fans. What a nightmare of a schedule this is for those of us 5/6 hours ahead.

14 hours ago, EnglishEagle1980 said:

Thanks! Great to be here! 🙂 Yeah born in 1980! I've watched the super bowl for years and did see the win! I think that's one reason when I watched the All or Nothing (I watched all the different series that were out at the time) I took to the Eagles so much! I'm a big sports fan and have always been a fan of my local football (soccer) team but until lockdown never really understood the NFL in detail. It gave me time to watch and read up on the sport and I now love it! I stayed up until 3am watching the draft! I'm so excited about being at a game and experiencing the whole day... all I keep seeing is how great the Eagles fans are and we can't wait to be part of it! How do the local guys take to foreigners visiting and supporting the Eagles? Is it a common thing and is it seen as a positive? I know some football team supporters in the UK see foreign supporters as tourists and not always keen on them attending.

Eagles fans can be a tough crowd, if you're an outsider. We tend to have somewhat of a bad reputation among the other 31 fanbases, but opposing players/coaches who 'get it', love Eagles fans... even though they hate Eagles fans lol. 

At times, the EMB can be the same way. If you have a thick skin, you'll do just fine. At times we can fight amongst ourselves but when it comes down to it, we're all of one mind and that's "E-A-G-L-E-S -- EAGLES!"

If you do get to a game, just don't get drunk and dress up like Santa while it's snowing. That might not end well... :huh:

Also, don't ever call one of our teams a 'Dream Team', that definitely won't end well lol. 

• Like 1