Eagles Waiving DE Derek Barnett

time2rock

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Why activate him if he’s not a full go and I did hear Smith was bothered with something, but I believe he’s supposed to play.

Not sure why Smith missed practice on Friday but maybe activating Quez was more as an insurance policy in case Smith either can’t go or will be limited on Sunday.  

• Like 2

I forget where I read this stat, but just looked it up and he had 19.5 sacks between 2017 and 2020. Since 2020, 2 sacks. Both in 2021 and nothing since. 

46 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I forget where I read this stat, but just looked it up and he had 19.5 sacks between 2017 and 2020. Since 2020, 2 sacks. Both in 2021 and nothing since. 

He missed the entire 2022 season and hardly played this year.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Not sure why Smith missed practice on Friday but maybe activating Quez was more as an insurance policy in case Smith either can’t go or will be limited on Sunday.  

Quez seems to be still banged up too.

What took them so long? Guess they were hoping someone would trade for him which we all knew wasn’t happening.

Interesting that he found a job so quickly.

Terrible pick, bad 2nd contract…but clearly NFL quality depth that belongs on a roster.  And I suspect he’s not on this one because a disagreement got emotional.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Terrible pick, bad 2nd contract…but clearly NFL quality depth that belongs on a roster.  And I suspect he’s not on this one because a disagreement got emotional.  

His playing time steadily increased all season. The team didn’t see a place for him on the roster. They allowed him to seek a trade, and probably tried to trade him at the deadline. His days in Philly were numbered weeks ago. He is a first round pick and they always tend to get a second chance. Marcus Smith even got a second chance and he’s nowhere close to Derek Barnett. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 6:09 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

On 11/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, brkmsn said:

He missed the entire 2022 season and hardly played this year.

On 11/28/2023 at 2:32 AM, eagle45 said:

I've put my hands up previously and said that I was wrong on Barnett this year. I expected him to get sacks and be a productive member of the rotation. He was solid when he was out there but didn't play much and only got pressures on occasion.

But I think sadly his lack of playing time has supported the narrative by some of the media and some on this board that he has always sucked as a player. He was a disappointment as a first rounder as eagle45 says, but he was also a productive rotational DE, who from 2017 and 2020 was on pace for between 5 and 7.5 sacks over a full season (he always missed a few games through injury). Those players are a lot harder to find than some people think.

I genuinely don't know whether he's done as a productive player now. He's only 27, but maybe he has just lost it after injury. I don't put too much stock in 2021 as that was the year everyone just short passed Gannon's D to death. We will see how he does with Texans/next year. Could be an interesting cheap signing for someone, but not here.

As others have said he got lucky in the Super Bowl, but that strip sack in the NFCCG was at a crucial time, even if it turned into a blow out after that. Also remember him sacking Dak twice in a game.

I wish him the best. 

18 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I've put my hands up previously and said that I was wrong on Barnett this year. I expected him to get sacks and be a productive member of the rotation. He was solid when he was out there but didn't play much and only got pressures on occasion.

But I think sadly his lack of playing time has supported the narrative by some of the media and some on this board that he has always sucked as a player. He was a disappointment as a first rounder as eagle45 says, but he was also a productive rotational DE, who from 2017 and 2020 was on pace for between 5 and 7.5 sacks over a full season (he always missed a few games through injury). Those players are a lot harder to find than some people think.

I genuinely don't know whether he's done as a productive player now. He's only 27, but maybe he has just lost it after injury. I don't put too much stock in 2021 as that was the year everyone just short passed Gannon's D to death. We will see how he does with Texans/next year. Could be an interesting cheap signing for someone, but not here.

As others have said he got lucky in the Super Bowl, but that strip sack in the NFCCG was at a crucial time, even if it turned into a blow out after that. Also remember him sacking Dak twice in a game.

I wish him the best. 

The truth is Barnett wasn’t close to what you tried to make him out to be. He’s never been a guy close to double digit sacks and you expected 7-9 on a team that got over 70 without him. At best Barnett was a luxury for this season, but he was definitely not a necessity. You guys tried to downplay his penalties despite the fact he has more career penalties than he has career sacks. Bottom line is you guys overhyped and overrated this player. You don’t need to try and take digs at others, because you and a few others were dead wrong. Take the loss and stop trying to downplay your own foolishness. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I wish him the best. 

There's really no reason to even discuss hated players with some of the board members here. They continue to just put words in your mouth. They are convinced that about 6 penalties a year in around 700 snaps is over the top and will make sure to rent a billboard to remind you of the narrative after the player dies of old age. 

I think the fact that he was claimed off waivers proves other teams believe he still has value. The Texans supposedly were in trade talks about him before the deadline and are happy to have him now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 1:01 AM, brkmsn said:

There's really no reason to even discuss hated players with some of the board members here. They continue to just put words in your mouth. They are convinced that about 6 penalties a year in around 700 snaps is over the top and will make sure to rent a billboard to remind you of the narrative after the player dies of old age. 

I think the fact that he was claimed off waivers proves other teams believe he still has value. The Texans supposedly were in trade talks about him before the deadline and are happy to have him now. 

Barnett is looking good for the Texans. Being a productive rotational end which is exactly what we said he was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Barnett is looking good for the Texans. Being a productive rotational end which is exactly what we said he was.

While he was here this season, he was strictly Sweat's backup at RDE. All his snaps came from there. The Texans have him spelling players at RDE and LDE. In the last 2 games he played 28 and 34 snaps, has a sack, 4 TFLs, 3 QB hits and still no penalties on the year. He was a good pickup for the Texans and it didn't cost them anything. 

He wasn't getting used much here, so it's not like our defense is less productive without him. Nolan Smith has an opportunity to get more snaps / experience. So far, this has been good for everybody. Barring an injury to Sweat, we really shouldn't miss Barnett. 

18 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

While he was here this season, he was strictly Sweat's backup at RDE. All his snaps came from there. The Texans have him spelling players at RDE and LDE. In the last 2 games he played 28 and 34 snaps, has a sack, 4 TFLs, 3 QB hits and still no penalties on the year. He was a good pickup for the Texans and it didn't cost them anything. 

He wasn't getting used much here, so it's not like our defense is less productive without him. Nolan Smith has an opportunity to get more snaps / experience. So far, this has been good for everybody. Barring an injury to Sweat, we really shouldn't miss Barnett. 

We certainly wouldn’t miss the version of Barnett we were getting earlier this year, but he has looked good for the Texans. My concern is that Smith isn’t ready yet and Reddick, Sweat and Carter (who has been playing some DE) have been overused. 

I think the Eagles should have given him more snaps but he also should have forced their hand. Clearly his head wasn’t there. 

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

We certainly wouldn’t miss the version of Barnett we were getting earlier this year, but he has looked good for the Texans. My concern is that Smith isn’t ready yet and Reddick, Sweat and Carter (who has been playing some DE) have been overused. 

I think the Eagles should have given him more snaps but he also should have forced their hand. Clearly his head wasn’t there. 

It doesn't really bother me that our best players are playing a large percentage of snaps. A lot of that has to do with games being close all the way to the end. When you look around the league at the most productive pass rushers (like TJ Watt), they don't get much game rest. Rotations can be great at times, but they aren't always a better result than giving the better players a high snap percentage. As I said, as long as Sweat stays healthy, I'm not concerned. Even if Sweat does miss time, I'm confident an increase in snaps with Smith wouldn't be so terrible. 

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It doesn't really bother me that our best players are playing a large percentage of snaps. A lot of that has to do with games being close all the way to the end. When you look around the league at the most productive pass rushers (like TJ Watt), they don't get much game rest. Rotations can be great at times, but they aren't always a better result than giving the better players a high snap percentage. As I said, as long as Sweat stays healthy, I'm not concerned. Even if Sweat does miss time, I'm confident an increase in snaps with Smith wouldn't be so terrible. 

I think it also has to do with the total number of snaps in a game. The D has struggled to get off the field, the front 4 has looked particularly sluggish and maybe rotating them more means they are fresh to get to the QB. I think the rotation has worked well in the past so they don't burn out, some guys are built to go all day like Trent Cole, some guys are more efficient in a rotation. 

• Like 1

I believe the key to getting the D off the field is the Offense sustaining long drives to give them more rest.

• Like 1