Eagles Waiving DE Derek Barnett

time2rock

You might think this will give Nolan Smith more of an opportunity but he has shown nothing as a pass rusher.  There is a reason he isn't playing.  In his limited chances he hasn't shown an ability to bend his knees and go by the outside shoulder of the OT. He has great quickness but hasn't shown a spin move.  He basically runs straight into the OT and gets engulfed.  He needs to learn pass rush moves in the offseason.  You can't tell me the Eagles weren't expecting more out of him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You do know Smith mostly played outside lb in college right? He pass rushed a few times a game but was mostly an olb. 

He was a healthy scratch and then scratched for personal reasons last week, right?  I assume there is a bit of drama/bad blood there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eagles1960 said:

You might think this will give Nolan Smith more of an opportunity but he has shown nothing as a pass rusher.  There is a reason he isn't playing.  In his limited chances he hasn't shown an ability to bend his knees and go by the outside shoulder of the OT. He has great quickness but hasn't shown a spin move.  He basically runs straight into the OT and gets engulfed.  He needs to learn pass rush moves in the offseason.  You can't tell me the Eagles weren't expecting more out of him.

I think if he were on a worse team or the Eagles weren't in so many close games than Smith would get more reps.  It's hard to get better without playing time.  Hopefully the last game or two is meaningless and he can get a volume of snaps

• Like 2

Not a big surprise, but disappointing to see 1st round picks fizzle out like this. Can't 'hate' him because of his role in the 2017 post season. He made some key plays, and for that alone, we got our 'money's worth', regardless of how it all ended. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

He was a healthy scratch and then scratched for personal reasons last week, right?  I assume there is a bit of drama/bad blood there.

That's correct. He also asked to be traded or released before the season if I recall correctly. It's obvious they didn't want to let him walk for nothing but got no offers for him. Otherwise there's really no reason they wouldn't have moved him at the trade deadline.

54 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Yep, reading between the lines, my guess is he acted up after he didn’t get traded at the deadline and got scratched the first time.

• Like 1

I laughed when the NFL app notification only said we were waiving the 14th pick of the 2017 draft. Honestly couldn't think of who that was. Notification was vague to get you to open the app. So I just went on here lol

Not a total surprise that the team will move on from him.  It is a surprise that they do it at this point of the season.  They tried to trade him in preseason and during the season, but no deal came forth.  The last few games that he was inactive should already been sign that something was up.  They may need the roster spot for new addition or IR return.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Not a big surprise, but disappointing to see 1st round picks fizzle out like this. Can't 'hate' him because of his role in the 2017 post season. He made some key plays, and for that alone, we got our 'money's worth', regardless of how it all ended. 

Makes one appreciate BG even more. 

That's a shame to waste yet another 1st rounder. First Dillard as a potential tackle of the future and now a DE that would/should of filled in post BG. And just like that, our first 2 offseason priorities revealed.

Only thing he ever did was recover the Brady fumble BG caused. That's his claim to fame. He fell on a football. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Only thing he ever did was recover the Brady fumble BG caused. That's his claim to fame. He fell on a football. 

It actually bounced up to him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'd add in the MIN strip sack as well.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Strip Sack in the NFCCG was pretty big. 

• Like 2