Eagles Waiving DE Derek Barnett

time2rock

Yep, he made two plays here. TWO. BIG. PLAYS.

I appreciate those two plays, really, I do. But my god, was he a bonehead with his penalties. 

• Like 3

One thing to remember about Barnett, we got that 1st round pick for a ham sandwich (named Sam Bradford). Bradford was never leading us to the Super Bowl. Had he remained with us as the #2 behind Carson and Carson goes down vs. the Rams and Bradford comes in for the rest of the run, he doesn't do what Nick did. That's a near 100% guarantee. 

So ANY positive plays that we got from Barnett in 2017, was 'free money' and while I understand and agree with disappointment over him not contributing more in the long run, we still got that 'free money' and spent it on a Lombardi Trophy. 

100% worth the price we 'paid' (Bradford) for him! 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

One thing to remember about Barnett, we got that 1st round pick for a ham sandwich (named Sam Bradford).

Out of curiosity, I looked up what else we got for Bradford, which was a 2018 conditional 4th round pick which turned into Josh Sweat (which if I knew, I'd forgotten). 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

image.png

That was supposedly the historic Cornerback class.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Funny thing is I don't think Howie missed on Rasul, the Eagles just didn't put him in the right defensive system. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Eagles1960 said:

You might think this will give Nolan Smith more of an opportunity but he has shown nothing as a pass rusher.  There is a reason he isn't playing.  In his limited chances he hasn't shown an ability to bend his knees and go by the outside shoulder of the OT. He has great quickness but hasn't shown a spin move.  He basically runs straight into the OT and gets engulfed.  He needs to learn pass rush moves in the offseason.  You can't tell me the Eagles weren't expecting more out of him.

I think they'd be better off moving him to off the ball LB. He's not a natural edge rusher.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

R.I.P. the 2017 draft class.

Sad. This was the draft held in Philly. But the year we won the SB. I would take another sorry ass draft class for another Lombardi  🙂

I know a lot of Eagles fans won't miss him and some really wanted him to go. We had a surplus on the D-line this year and so far nobody is out for the season. He was expendable. I'm not completely sure of the cap ramifications by releasing him. It would be nice if we could bolster LB depth by bringing in Leonard. Then it would at least feel like a trade of sorts.  I'm never a fan of releasing players just to release them so hopefully we can make good use of the roster spot. 

I kind of expect Gannon to be interested in him now that he's available. I don't think he'll be jobless very long. He may just need to clear waivers if teams don't like his current contract structure. He could end up staying in the NFC East as well. 

3 hours ago, manz2821 said:

Sad. This was the draft held in Philly. But the year we won the SB. I would take another sorry ass draft class for another Lombardi  🙂

5 out of the Eagles last 10 first round picks were busts (Smith, Agholor, Barnett, Dillard, and Reagor). Carter will be a hit. Smith...we'll see. What a freaking shame. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

I thought that was supposed to be the running back year? The year with all those great backs and we took Pumphrey. There’s reasons people wanted Howie in the basement. 😂

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought that was supposed to be the running back year? The year with all those great backs and we took Pumphrey. There’s reasons people wanted Howie in the basement. 😂

Yes, was supposed to also be a strong RB class. 

18 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Not howies finest hour 

Douglas is a really good player and has thrived in both Green Bay and now the Bills. Hollins was okay for a 4th round pick, he was a special teams contributor. He also had his best season elsewhere for the Raiders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mat said:

Douglas is a really good player and has thrived in both Green Bay and now the Bills. Hollins was okay for a 4th round pick, he was a special teams contributor. He also had his best season elsewhere for the Raiders. 

A huge part of drafting successfully is not only finding talented players but those that fit your scheme/system.  I agree that players like Douglas have proven to be good players elsewhere ... but I don't think he (or some of the others) were a good fit for our system.  Knock on wood but that is one lesson Howie seems to have learned in recent years.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

5 out of the Eagles last 10 first round picks were busts (Smith, Agholor, Barnett, Dillard, and Reagor). Carter will be a hit. Smith...we'll see. What a freaking shame. 

Isn't that the average for first round picks?  50% success rate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vee said:

Suppose that depends on what would be considered a "success"

1 hour ago, Vee said:

I don't know. Is it? Surprising if so. I'd expect that with QB and maybe WR, but I'd think talent evaluators across the league would do better with the others.

2 hours ago, Vee said:

53 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Suppose that depends on what would be considered a "success"

27 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I don't know. Is it? Surprising if so. I'd expect that with QB and maybe WR, but I'd think talent evaluators across the league would do better with the others.

Out of curiosity I looked up just the first round from 2017 to see who's still with their original teams.

Out of the league or with different team (21):

Spoiler

2 Chicago Bears Mitchell Trubisky - Steelers
3 San Francisco 49ers Solomon Thomas - Jets
4 Jacksonville Jaguars Leonard Fournette  - Bills
5 Tennessee Titans Corey Davis - Jets
6 New York Jets Jamal Adams - Seahawks 
8 Carolina Panthers Christian McCaffrey - 49ers
9 Cincinnati Bengals John Ross - Chiefs
12 Houston Texans Deshaun Watson - Browns
13 Arizona Cardinals Haason Reddick - Eagles
14 Philadelphia Eagles Derek Barnett - Wiaved, Unsigned for now
15 Indianapolis Colts Malik Hooker - Cowboys
18 Tennessee Titans Adoree' Jackson - Giants
19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers O. J. Howard - Raiders
21 Detroit Lions Jarrad Davis - Giants
22 Miami Dolphins Charles Harris - Lions
23 New York Giants Evan Engram - Jaguars
24 Oakland Raiders Gareon Conley - Texans
25 Cleveland Browns Jabrill Peppers - Patriots
26 Atlanta Falcons Takkarist McKinley - Cowboys
28 Dallas Cowboys Taco Charlton - Last played for Bears (2022)
31 San Francisco 49ers Out of the NFL since 2020 - Plays for USFL Maulers

Still with original team (11):

Spoiler

1 Cleveland Browns Myles Garrett - Still with Browns
7 Los Angeles Chargers Mike Williams - Still with Chargers
10 Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes - Still with Chiefs
11 New Orleans Saints Marshon Lattimore - Still with Saints
16 Baltimore Ravens Marlon Humphrey - Still with Ravens
17 Washington Redskins Jonathan Allen - Still with Redskins
20 Denver Broncos Garett Bolles - Still with Broncos
27 Buffalo Bills Tre'Davious White - Still with Bills
29 Cleveland Browns David Njoku - Still with Browns
30 Pittsburgh Steelers T. J. Watt - Still with Steelers
32 New Orleans Saints Ryan Ramczyk - Still with Saints

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft

• Like 2

That open roster spot created by waiving Barnett was used to add Quez Watkins back to the active roster from IR.

IMG_9265.jpeg

Say what you like about DB, he made some very important contributions to the Eagles at crucial moments. He deserves our thanks and good wishes.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

That open roster spot created by waiving Barnett was used to add Quez Watkins back to the active roster from IR.

IMG_9265.jpeg

What’s weird is he’s basically still questionable and still hasn’t really practiced. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

What’s weird is he’s basically still questionable and still hasn’t really practiced. 

He was limited all week, thats enough to play. They aren't going to make him go full practice and risk a set back on the hamstring. 

The weird on is devonte not practicing at all on Friday out of nowhere 

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He was limited all week, thats enough to play. They aren't going to make him go full practice and risk a set back on the hamstring. 

The weird on is devonte not practicing at all on Friday out of nowhere 

Why activate him if he’s not a full go and I did hear Smith was bothered with something, but I believe he’s supposed to play.