Does NFL have a back up plan?

dawkins4prez

I'm getting pretty darn bearish on the chances of a full 16 game cross country NFL season.  We are in mid July and NFL has just cancelled half of the pre season?  IMHO they should be knee deep in negotiations for a 10 game regional season.  Let them play every other week, two weeks lets them test properly in between.  6 divisional games and 4 against AFC division of the same area.

I'm pretty skeptical that there will even be a season unless things turn around dramatically. Seems like every day a different state is breaking a previous record for new infections in a time where the curve should be flattening/bottoming out.  Basketball is a little easier because there are so many fewer roster spots and everyone can (hopefully) be contained in a bubble. Good luck trying to keep a 53 man roster plus practice squad guys plus coaches x 32 teams all contained without people getting infected. You've got travel bans, quarantines, and several other restrictions in place that don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon. I just don't see how it works unless there's a huge turnaround in cases/culture/attitude towards the virus.

• Like 1

Im calling it now.  The 2020 NFL season will not happen.  

12 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

I'm pretty skeptical that there will even be a season unless things turn around dramatically. Seems like every day a different state is breaking a previous record for new infections in a time where the curve should be flattening/bottoming out.  Basketball is a little easier because there are so many fewer roster spots and everyone can (hopefully) be contained in a bubble. Good luck trying to keep a 53 man roster plus practice squad guys plus coaches x 32 teams all contained without people getting infected. You've got travel bans, quarantines, and several other restrictions in place that don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon. I just don't see how it works unless there's a huge turnaround in cases/culture/attitude towards the virus.

I think they can pull off a 10 game regional season.  Even if it takes 70 man rosters and a couple forfiets along the way.  But they better get tow work on that RIGHT NOW.  This whole watch and see how MLB handles it simply won't cut it.

33 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I think they can pull off a 10 game regional season.  Even if it takes 70 man rosters and a couple forfiets along the way.  But they better get tow work on that RIGHT NOW.  This whole watch and see how MLB handles it simply won't cut it.

Man I hope so, I really do. I'm just extremely negative towards the chances of it happening right now. To many F'n idiots out there. :lol:

31 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Man I hope so, I really do. I'm just extremely negative towards the chances of it happening right now. To many F'n idiots out there. :lol:

They're definitely going to start the season.  There is just too much money involved, and if there's one pro sports league that will bulldoze everyone in their way to make it work, the NFL will (which is why I love it so much).  I am starting to get a little skeptical about them finishing the season, despite some of my previous posts.  Our very own Rishaun Holmes and some other nutsack I've never heard of already broke quarantine in the NBA bubble (I seriously hate these 'ukn entitled arsewipes  They have only been there for a couple days).  The NFL players will be 10x worse, because they don't have a white line to stay behind and they're even dumber.  

Best Airplane Seatbelt GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hputenis said:

They're definitely going to start the season.  There is just too much money involved, and if there's one pro sports league that will bulldoze everyone in their way to make it work, the NFL will (which is why I love it so much).  I am starting to get a little skeptical about them finishing the season, despite some of my previous posts.  Our very own Rishaun Holmes and some other nutsack I've never heard of already broke quarantine in the NBA bubble (I seriously hate these 'ukn entitled arsewipes  They have only been there for a couple days).  The NFL players will be 10x worse, because they don't have a white line to stay behind and they're even dumber.  

Best Airplane Seatbelt GIFs | Gfycat

Man, I'd love for it to at least get started in some capacity. I'm desperate for any kind of sports right now. I actually contemplated streaming the Toronto FC game at work today and I F'n hate soccer. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Man, I'd love for it to at least get started in some capacity. I'm desperate for any kind of sports right now. I actually contemplated streaming the Toronto FC game at work today and I F'n hate soccer. 

Unless it's World Cup, I just can't do it.  That sport bores me to no end.  I'm happy at the moment to have golf on the weekends and the Phillies starting Friday!  Hope the Toronto BJ's have nice season!  😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Unless it's World Cup, I just can't do it.  That sport bores me to no end.  I'm happy at the moment to have golf on the weekends and the Phillies starting Friday!  Hope the Toronto BJ's have nice season!  😂

Looks like the BJ's and Phillies will play each other a few times this year with the COVID realigned schedule. Should be fun. Baseball basically gets to be the Guinea pig for the rest of the sports so hopefully they don't F it all up.

Another point on just how desperate I am for sports content: the Blue Jays are playing televised intrasquad games Tues and Wed nights this week. I'll be watching both games even though it's basically a glorified practice.

• Like 1

I don't think there's a back up plan because honestly what would a back up plan look like? There's either a season or there isn't. That season may not have fans, may not be a full 16 game season but still there's either football or there isn't. 

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

They're definitely going to start the season.  There is just too much money involved, and if there's one pro sports league that will bulldoze everyone in their way to make it work, the NFL will (which is why I love it so much). 

The only thing that matters to the owners, I can't believe some people actually think the other leagues are going to play and the NFl will shut down, I guaranteed in April all the other sports would play and they are and it is a 100% guarantee they start the season

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:02 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think there's a back up plan because honestly what would a back up plan look like? There's either a season or there isn't. That season may not have fans, may not be a full 16 game season but still there's either football or there isn't. 

10 game season.  Eagles would play division rivals x2 and the AFC East.    Teams play every other week with 4/8 divisions playing every weekend.  Maybe East/West one weekend, South/North the next.  Two weeks insures star players only miss one game in quarantine.  Playoffs would go staright to divisional round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

10 game season.  Eagles would play division rivals x2 and the AFC East.    Teams play every other week with 4/8 divisions playing every weekend.  Maybe East/West one weekend, South/North the next.  Two weeks insures star players only miss one game in quarantine.  Playoffs would go staright to divisional round.

I wouldn't hate this format if it had to come to it. And to ensure that nobody gets an advantage from having 2 weeks off heading into the playoffs against a team that only had 1 week off, have the East/West play each other in the divisional round and the North/South play each other. The team with the better regular season record plays at home (make sure some tiebreakers are in place like conference record).

• Like 1

It’s time for the entertainers to entertain. Conversely, they have the choice of quitting and getting a job.

They should have planned a short season starting in August. Play 6 divisional games, most wins advances to the playoffs. Playoffs start week 8, so a bye week between regular season and playoffs. 3 weeks of playoffs. A bye week. Super Bowl if timed right I think could be on thanksgiving. 

On 7/19/2020 at 5:00 PM, SBorBust said:

It’s time for the entertainers to entertain. Conversely, they have the choice of quitting and getting a job.

It won't be much entertaining when 20 players on one team miss 3 straight games.  Been a while since I hated on Goodell, but what in the hell are they doing?  They are still fighting over playing a PS game.  That's La-La land my friends.  If they are going to get through this season they better start accumulating goodwill with the players and pushing hard for a PS game is not a good start.

What just happend with the Marlins and Phillies is pretty much NFL's last wake up call to form a real backup plan.  They finally cancelled the pre season.

I figure as soon as 10-20 players get it and if some of those players are high profile players, then the NFLPA will probably step in and say enough's enough and they will push the league to cancel. So far, rookies and mostly non-stars have caught it. The NFLPA tends to represent the wealthier players more than those guys.  

11 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

What just happend with the Marlins and Phillies is pretty much NFL's last wake up call to form a real backup plan.  They finally cancelled the pre season.

To be fair, NFLPA already pushed them to cancel preseason games before the mess with the Marlins and Phillies played out.

If MLB is any example... No. There is no plan. Play it out and see what happens.

In a conversation on the Buccaneers' plans for handling the coronavirus, coach Bruce Arians stated "the players, they’re going to all get sick, that’s for sure.”

"It’s just a matter of how sick they get,” Arians continued. "We’ve got to be careful." This season will be unlike any other. Positive cases will be confirmed, and it appears the NFL will attempt to power through them with a multi-week quarantine for impacted players and staff members - and a larger practice squad to pick replacements from. Arians is a three-time cancer survivor and took measures to aid his health even before this offseason, including riding a golf cart during practice and handing play calling responsibilities to Byron Leftwich. Arians, at 67 years old, is at higher risk than other coaches around the league. As is safeties coach Nick Rapone (64) and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen (64). "It’s the team that adapts and has the most discipline, they’re going to win,” Arians concluded. This level of honesty is appreciated, but also chilling.

5 Pats players have already opted out. MLB couldn't even finish a weekend before half of a team got infected. Just nuke sports right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toolg said:

To be fair, NFLPA already pushed them to cancel preseason games before the mess with the Marlins and Phillies played out.

If MLB is any example... No. There is no plan. Play it out and see what happens.

I am squarely putting the blame on Goodell and league.  The fact they were still fighting with NFLPA over PS games just a couple days ago speaks volumes about how blinded they are in their arrogance.  16 games cross country schedule is madness, I really can't believe they are stumbling into this at this stage.

• 2 months later...

Not sure how Titans are supposed to play this weekend if the team can't practice all week... Have to see how this plays out.