Does NFL have a back up plan?

dawkins4prez

Well to answer the thread title we shall see how well the plans they have actually work. I agree @toolg with the best will in the world I don’t see how the vikings or Titans can play this Sunday with no practice.

59 minutes ago, toolg said:

Not sure how Titans are supposed to play this weekend if the team can't practice all week... Have to see how this plays out.

Could they flex the game to Thursday and reschedule the following week to their bye week?  I don’t know the answer but I think that could be possible right? 

3 minutes ago, DBW said:

Could they flex the game to Thursday and reschedule the following week to their bye week?  I don’t know the answer but I think that could be possible right? 

I hear NFL is working on contingency plans...  If they have to cancel this weekend, I think Titans/Steelers take Bye this week. Then this:

Vikings facility is closed until everybody tests negative. I think it's possible they could reopen practice as soon as tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, toolg said:

I hear NFL is working on contingency plans...  If they have to cancel this weekend, I think Titans/Steelers take Bye this week. Then this:

Vikings facility is closed until everybody tests negative. I think it's possible they could reopen practice as soon as tomorrow.

I think that works 

1 hour ago, toolg said:

That would suck for us because we play the Steelers week 5. Not that it really matters because we’d probably lose either way but they’d have 2 weeks to prepare. 

Per CDC guidelines, aren't you supposed to self-quarantine if you come in close contact with a COVID positive person? 2 weeks?  So.  That works as long as 1. we ignore CDC guidelines and 2. Nobody else tests positive.

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

The Stillers could beat the Iggles with  2 hours to prepare.

Fyp

Titans had 2 more positive tests. They won't be playing the Steelers this weekend.

Vikings had no positive tests. They reopened practice today.

Given the tweet @toolg posted a little while back about moving the game and ravens bye week, etc, the NFL may have dodged a bullet.

But what happens if this goes down again in week 12?

6 minutes ago, paco said:

But what happens if this goes down again in week 12?

Right? No more byes after week 11 to shuffle games around.

Barnwell has a tweet suggesting they add another week at the end of the season to play any postponed games.

Some issues with that:

1) That gives most of the league a bye before the playoffs

2) Could have playoff seeding impact.  Lets say a team that is on the cusp of a first round bye needs team X to lose or a win to secure it.  Team X plays week 17 in a 1 pm game where as the team who may clinch a first round bye plays at 4.  Normally they could wait and see if they could rest their starters, but now they have to play no matter what and potentially risk their players.

I would suggest that the NFL does a bye for everyone week 16 except for postponed games and then everyone is caught up week 17 and 18 after a "reset".  Hell, two bye weeks is something the players association has been pushing for anyway, would be a nice test to see if it helps the overall health of the players.

They need to bite the bullet and call it a season and declare the last NFC Super Bowl champions, as this year's champion. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They need to bite the bullet and call it a season and declare the last NFC Super Bowl champions, as this year's champion. 

I think that's the only right and fair way to do it. 

3 hours ago, paco said:

I would suggest that the NFL does a bye for everyone week 16 except for postponed games and then everyone is caught up week 17 and 18 after a "reset".  Hell, two bye weeks is something the players association has been pushing for anyway, would be a nice test to see if it helps the overall health of the players.

This is actually a fine idea. I had been contemplating the scenario where they play makeup games after the season, but that can lead to potentially high levels of unfairness. Your suggestion reduces that significantly.

Regarding positive tests later in the season, my general point would be that hat's why they increased practice squads this year -- to allow teams to fill out rosters. If you have five or ten players "sick", well, that's sad and all, but that's what those extra players are there for. 

• Thanks 1

Cam tested positive and is out this week for the Pats

• Like 1

Saints fullback has apparently tested positive as well

Goodell isn't messing around anymore. Says teams that violate protocol could lose draft picks or be forced to forfeit games.

Gilmore positive for the Pats

Another Titan tested positive so the facility hasn't reopened 

• Like 1