GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys, 12-10-23, 8:20 PM EST

EagleJoe8

That loss came down to a few things. Not converting drives into touchdowns, the three fumbles, letting Dallas get into a lead, their RT being allowed to hold all game long. But also props to some of the Dallas players. Stephon Gilmore was a menace all night. Cee Dee Lamb oozes star quality. Ferguson is going to become one of those players we hate.

I´m not joining in the hate of Desai just yet. He needs to scheme better and prepare the team better, but he has made some really good halftime adjustments this year. Defense is so much better in the second half of games, which shows there is something we can work with. I thought second half they were much better last night and it felt like Dak was reverting to type. Yes, it was too little, too late. But there was enough to take some encouragement from.

Despite those two poor performances, the Eagles are still in the box seat. Schedule is softer after that gauntlet, while for SF and DAL it gets tougher. I can´t see either of them winning out from here, and we should win at least three of the next four. 13-4 is still a really good record in the NFL. 

Ugly loss, but we will bounce back this week and close the season strong.

Hope everyone survived the night.  Some posters were in a dark place over a game.

It´s weird, right? I thought Philly fans were supposed to be hard-nosed and tough. There´s so much entitlement in this fanbase these days, ruined by a little bit of success

I’m stupid enough to be glad that the Eagles are struggling now in December with time to make some changes and largely injury free. I do not want the team to be peaking right now. 

4 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

It´s weird, right? I thought Philly fans were supposed to be hard-nosed and tough. There´s so much entitlement in this fanbase these days, ruined by a little bit of success

Most Eagles fans are tough and can handle adversity.  We have all been there.  The GDT isn't really representative of the fanbase.  It's more of a **** and moan therapy session.  Many quitters have cycled through there.

8 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

That loss came down to a few things. Not converting drives into touchdowns, the three fumbles, letting Dallas get into a lead, their RT being allowed to hold all game long. But also props to some of the Dallas players. Stephon Gilmore was a menace all night. Cee Dee Lamb oozes star quality. Ferguson is going to become one of those players we hate.

I´m not joining in the hate of Desai just yet. He needs to scheme better and prepare the team better, but he has made some really good halftime adjustments this year. Defense is so much better in the second half of games, which shows there is something we can work with. I thought second half they were much better last night and it felt like Dak was reverting to type. Yes, it was too little, too late. But there was enough to take some encouragement from.

Despite those two poor performances, the Eagles are still in the box seat. Schedule is softer after that gauntlet, while for SF and DAL it gets tougher. I can´t see either of them winning out from here, and we should win at least three of the next four. 13-4 is still a really good record in the NFL. 

That's about where I am, on the reffing thing, as soon as they picked up that first flag on what was a pretty obvious hold on their first TD, I knew it was going to be a tough night with the officials, so we had the full range, offsides on the brotherly shove, check, soft ticky tack PI that even Collinsworth couldn't see to extend a drive after letting worse go most of the night, check, PI with an extra 15 for a face mask, what the hell why not.  When you're getting fouls called that the commentary team have to explain the rules it means it's an all timer.

But ultimately we lost because the offense kept putting the ball down.

Brian Johnson / Sirianni have taken away our identity which is running the ball and the short routes. Pass, pass, pass ... deep route after deep route. If this team shifted their site to a ball control philosophy, it would help everything out so much, but they won't. Obviously, it doesn't help when your players put the ball on the ground, but we're talking on a whole here ... this Offense looks nothing like what we were doing last year and that's on the play calling. We have turned into a high risk / low reward Offense ... that's why we end up kicking FG's instead of TD against the better Defenses. 

On Defense we're just a complete mess. Our cold drop zone scheme just giftwraps all sorts of open pockets for receivers. It's really prevent on steroids when you don't have talent on your back end. It's the gift that keeps giving ... defenders pass off receivers even if it's to an open pocket. They don't ride them into the next zone like a "good" cover 2/3 would. The DB's and LB'ers are flat footed and completely hesitant to not leave their 5-8 yard area of safety. This is all due to the horrible scheme! Yes, Desai makes decent adjustments here and there in the 2nd half of games ... but what good is that when we give up loads of points early on???

59 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

But ultimately we lost because the offense kept putting the ball down.

This !  Those drops would have been points on the board.

11 minutes ago, Talkingbirds said:

This !  Those drops would have been points on the board.

Yes it would have but we were already in a hole when AJ fumbles at the beginning of the second half. And Dallas were moving the ball at will so I really don’t think it would have made that much difference.

7 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Reich sucks as a head coach not a coordinator 

We know this how? Doug called the plays when Reich was here. 

Teams can just move the ball at will against us. We've seen it time after time they go on big drives and the receivers are wide open and they get monster yardage games.

Its just not good enough - the signs were there from day one and we've done nothing to address it.

Yes the personnel are not good enough, so then you need to adjust to counter that.

No wonder we hardly have any INTs as the secondary play so soft they're no where near the ball

6 hours ago, Hahahahaha said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

48bcfa8b-2c15-4a11-8e32-f501ab3fdd4d_screenshot.jpg

Another week another beat down. D can’t make stops when it matters, fumbling away points, drops, everything that could go bad went bad.

59 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Teams can just move the ball at will against us. We've seen it time after time they go on big drives and the receivers are wide open and they get monster yardage games.

Its just not good enough - the signs were there from day one and we've done nothing to address it.

Yes the personnel are not good enough, so then you need to adjust to counter that.

No wonder we hardly have any INTs as the secondary play so soft they're no where near the ball

Even when they have a chance to make a pick they drop it.

All the problems from last night have been present all season, they were just glossed over due to the wins.  Ultimately, I think the main problem on defense is the players...the back 7 is just bad and mostly old.  The DL has mostly disappeared...that is more inexplicable than anything else.  Getting gashed in the run game and pressure is way too inconsistent.  

On offense, the problem is more coaching...and more specifically, Sirianni.  This is his offense.  Johnson is the play caller and his main job is to call the right plays at the right time, call plays to get the O into some kind of rhythm, etc.  Siri's offense is very basic with no imagination or wrinkles.  Hurts looks like he doesn't have confidence in either the designs or the calls, or both.  Certainly, Johnson's play calling hasn't helped...at all...but I still see it as more of a Siri issue.

And actually, we could put more of an onus on Siri as far as the defense too.  It's his philosophy...he stated since he's been here that the main thing he wants from his DC is to not allow "explosive plays".  So, in essence, he doesn't want an aggressive D that can be vulnerable to big plays.  If you have to play D like that, that means mostly 2 high safeties, zone, not much blitzing.  Problem is, we simply don't have the talent to play effectively like that.  

6 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

All the problems from last night have been present all season, they were just glossed over due to the wins.  Ultimately, I think the main problem on defense is the players...the back 7 is just bad and mostly old.  The DL has mostly disappeared...that is more inexplicable than anything else.  Getting gashed in the run game and pressure is way too inconsistent.  

On offense, the problem is more coaching...and more specifically, Sirianni.  This is his offense.  Johnson is the play caller and his main job is to call the right plays at the right time, call plays to get the O into some kind of rhythm, etc.  Siri's offense is very basic with no imagination or wrinkles.  Hurts looks like he doesn't have confidence in either the designs or the calls, or both.  Certainly, Johnson's play calling hasn't helped...at all...but I still see it as more of a Siri issue.

And actually, we could put more of an onus on Siri as far as the defense too.  It's his philosophy...he stated since he's been here that the main thing he wants from his DC is to not allow "explosive plays".  So, in essence, he doesn't want an aggressive D that can be vulnerable to big plays.  If you have to play D like that, that means mostly 2 high safeties, zone, not much blitzing.  Problem is, we simply don't have the talent to play effectively like that.  

did you not see the fake punt last night? 

I see a LOT of people making happy excuses for the Eagles. Like giving the Eagles little moral victories.

Let me tell you something... this team showed ZERO heart. THAT is unacceptable, no matter what excuses people make.

8 hours ago, Southparkeagles said:

I’m not mad about the slay/bradberry signings. We needed dbs and I was surprised we were able to sign them both. Dean was always a question mark and I didn’t mind picking him where they did, but he’s not a MIKE in the NFL. 30 some odd snaps last season convinced some idiot our LB issues were solved though. 
I have zero faith that we will address the secondary or LBs seriously in the draft. They’ll look for a DE or two early, then a TE. We may address needed issues after the 4th, but they’ll all be projects. We’ll also continue the patchwork F/A stuff to plug holes with scrubs. The Lurie/Howie philosophy works well enough to keep us competitive, but not a dynasty. Not a gold standard as Jeff says. 

Bradberry is gonna kill this team. They paid him too much. $17M cap hit if they cut him before next year. $12M the next. Cowboys were smart. They traded a 5th for a cheap year of Gilmore who comes off the books clean at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, shlo said:

Bradberry is gonna kill this team. They paid him too much. $17M cap hit if they cut him before next year. $12M the next. Cowboys were smart. They traded a 5th for a cheap year of Gilmore who comes off the books clean at the end of the season. 

Yeah I mean that’s looking like a shocking contract but look they’ve got to cut him or move him. He’s done. This isn’t a lack of confidence or form he just looks shot.

30 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

That defensive philosophy didn't start with Siri, however, I get what you are saying. It has been implemented here, the "bend dont break" philosophy since Jim Johnson passed so this is why we haven't seen an aggressive D since then.....the secondary has been awful all year, the front seven is just ok and the offense is you don't know what to expect week in and week out. 

Let's not forget we lost alot of good people after the superbowl run (I think alot of people here forget that little tidbit) so the personnel is no longer here for an aggressive D.....

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean that’s looking like a shocking contract but look they’ve got to cut him or move him. He’s done. This isn’t a lack of confidence or form he just looks shot.

I didn't like that they kept him and always thought they should have kept CJGJ instead.....looks like I was right.....

9 hours ago, shlo said:

I hated the Dean draft pick and thought it was laughable people were pushing to draft him in the first or second round. As for Bradberry and Slay... seems like the Eagles were desperate and there weren't other options. I think corner, safety and linebacker are huge needs for next year. Draft has to be defense heavy. 

They need to draft a RB too. I doubt Swift or Penny returns next season. Gainwell has one year left in his rookie contract and Scott is also a FA after this season.

40 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I didn't like that they kept him and always thought they should have kept CJGJ instead.....looks like I was right.....

And if that’s how you felt then fair play. I think based on his performances last year most were very happy he was back. It just hasn’t worked out. And that’s just one of those things but it now creates a real issue.

Archived