GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys, 12-10-23, 8:20 PM EST

EagleJoe8

This team is beat up and exhausted.  We always knew this stretch would be brutal and nobody here would have been shocked if they had known we'd go 2-2 through it.  From a talent perspective, we have enough talent on the field to contend with anyone, we just need to execute.

The main concern is the lack of creativity and adjustments in the offensive and defensive schemes. Nothing is working and it looks like backyard football out there.  Either they get this figured out or one or both coordinators need to go next year. 

What concerns me the most is that we almost certainly lose Kelce, Johnson, Cox and Graham in the offseason...all of whom have been major contributors and leaders the last two seasons.  No guarantee that this team looks or behaves the same without them.  We really can't afford to squander this year.

2 hours ago, Rey said:

Brian Johnson / Sirianni have taken away our identity which is running the ball and the short routes. Pass, pass, pass ... deep route after deep route. If this team shifted their site to a ball control philosophy, it would help everything out so much, but they won't. Obviously, it doesn't help when your players put the ball on the ground, but we're talking on a whole here ... this Offense looks nothing like what we were doing last year and that's on the play calling. We have turned into a high risk / low reward Offense ... that's why we end up kicking FG's instead of TD against the better Defenses. 

On Defense we're just a complete mess. Our cold drop zone scheme just giftwraps all sorts of open pockets for receivers. It's really prevent on steroids when you don't have talent on your back end. It's the gift that keeps giving ... defenders pass off receivers even if it's to an open pocket. They don't ride them into the next zone like a "good" cover 2/3 would. The DB's and LB'ers are flat footed and completely hesitant to not leave their 5-8 yard area of safety. This is all due to the horrible scheme! Yes, Desai makes decent adjustments here and there in the 2nd half of games ... but what good is that when we give up loads of points early on???

This. This right here. I can’t stand watching our LBs and DBs cover a zone and not pick up a receiver as they enter it or mirror them as they leave their zone. They just stand there while the receiver finds an open spot for an easy completion. A receiver is open 80% of the time with this scheme. It just doesn’t work and it negates any type of pass rush. 

4 hours ago, GrahamCracker said:

I’m stupid enough to be glad that the Eagles are struggling now in December with time to make some changes and largely injury free. I do not want the team to be peaking right now. 

But our coaches haven’t shown the ability to adjust. I have little to no confidence in their ability to correct these issues. It’s the same crap week after week, even when we were winning games. The excuse that "we need to play better” gets lost after saying it 13 weeks in a row. 

5 minutes ago, Columbus Eagle said:

But our coaches haven’t shown the ability to adjust. I have little to no confidence in their ability to correct these issues. It’s the same crap week after week, even when we were winning games. The excuse that "we need to play better” gets lost after saying it 13 weeks in a row. 

This. I love how people weren't complaining about "peaking" while we were winning because we simply weren't playing complimentary football. The luck was bound to reverse...and here's the result

1 hour ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That defensive philosophy didn't start with Siri, however, I get what you are saying. It has been implemented here, the "bend dont break" philosophy since Jim Johnson passed so this is why we haven't seen an aggressive D since then.....the secondary has been awful all year, the front seven is just ok and the offense is you don't know what to expect week in and week out. 

Let's not forget we lost alot of good people after the superbowl run (I think alot of people here forget that little tidbit) so the personnel is no longer here for an aggressive D.....

It may not have started with Siri...but he was blatantly clear that's what he wanted from his DC (including Gannon).  Combine that with the organizational philosophy....build the DL and get pressure with just the front 4....and you have the perfect recipe for a passive defense if you simply don't have the personnel to play what you want to play.  

It also handcuffs any DC because they have to scheme around the philosophy of the HC and apparently Howie Roseman.<_<

8 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

It may not have started with Siri...but he was blatantly clear that's what he wanted from his DC (including Gannon).  Combine that with the organizational philosophy....build the DL and get pressure with just the front 4....and you have the perfect recipe for a passive defense if you simply don't have the personnel to play what you want to play.  

It also handcuffs any DC because they have to scheme around the philosophy of the HC and apparently Howie Roseman.<_<

duly noted and agreed

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Next week against Seattle but I wouldn’t bother with that one.

The Seattle game is winnable. I know our history since Pete Carroll has been there isn't good, but that team is vulnerable on defense, especially in the secondary.

The Eagles shot themselves in the foot last night with those 3 fumbles and the penalties. That can't happen if they hope to win these last four games. It's a different ball game if they don't cough up the football.

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

[snip]

FC Kasztany - jak się to wszystko zaczęło? - Fantasy Premier League FPL

2 hours ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

The Seattle game is winnable. I know our history since Pete Carroll has been there isn't good, but that team is vulnerable on defense, especially in the secondary.

The Eagles shot themselves in the foot last night with those 3 fumbles and the penalties. That can't happen if they hope to win these last four games. It's a different ball game if they don't cough up the football.

See I’m not sure it is a different ball game. I think Dallas score more. But I guess we will never know. As for Seattle… Yeah I mean look that’s no juggernaut and we can beat them. And a lot can change in a week. I just don’t see it at all. Not the way this team is playing.

The team looked flat yesterday.  When Hurts were holding on the ball or rolled out, most of the plays did not end well.  The drops did not help.  Nor did the fumbles.  Simplify the plays and let Hurts make quick reads and go.  

The DL was not much a force to make QB's life miserable.  The one sack, fumble and return for TD was the only exception.  The secondary was still porous and there were too many long completions by the Cowboys.

Many things to clean up by the coaches and players.  If the problems persist, this team won't go deep even if they make it to playoff.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:09 AM, nipples said:

We know this how? Doug called the plays when Reich was here. 

He won a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator, and had a top 3 offense.  Of course Doug had something to do with that, but he obviously wasn't a bum and an idiot as an OC. 

7 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

He won a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator, and had a top 3 offense.  Of course Doug had something to do with that, but he obviously wasn't a bum and an idiot as an OC. 

His tenure in Indy and Carolina say otherwise. Nobody liked the Reich hire when it happened and he hasn't done anything after leaving Philly. I just don't think he's anything more than an average coordinator. 

Replay of the massacre in Jerry World starting now on NFLN for anyone wishing to relive the pain.  

1 hour ago, nipples said:

His tenure in Indy and Carolina say otherwise. Nobody liked the Reich hire when it happened and he hasn't done anything after leaving Philly. I just don't think he's anything more than an average coordinator. 

His tenure in Indy and Carolina were as a head coach, apples and oranges.  There are quite a few examples of guys who were good coordinators but bad head coaches.  But hey, if you're happy with our offense full of pro bowlers and hall of famers barely putting up double digit points and making it look extremely difficult to do so, let's keep doing what we're doing😅

10 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

His tenure in Indy and Carolina were as a head coach, apples and oranges.  There are quite a few examples of guys who were good coordinators but bad head coaches.  But hey, if you're happy with our offense full of pro bowlers and hall of famers barely putting up double digit points and making it look extremely difficult to do so, let's keep doing what we're doing😅

Who said anything about not making changes? I'm fine with looking for an upgrade over Johnson, but Reich isn't it.

53 minutes ago, nipples said:

Who said anything about not making changes? I'm fine with looking for an upgrade over Johnson, but Reich isn't it.

Well I wasn't suggesting that they should make Reich their OC, I meant just bring him in as a consultant to help out with the offense for the remainder of the season.  Obviously a long term solution would have to be decided on in the offseason.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:59 AM, PhillyPhreak24 said:

It may be different…Cowboys could’ve scored 50 on this defense that day. They really let their foot off the gas by the 3rd quarter.

Archived