Siri first Eagles coach in history to make the playoffs in each of his three seasons

kiwinavega

If we're lucky he'll be the first to make the playoffs in 3 straight years and then get fired because he's nothing more than an inept intern who was given the top job. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 6:02 PM, toughfighter83 said:

didnt this happen when chip was here we won a few games and still lost his job? like lurie doesnt care about records, he cares about locker room, if the locker room is divided on the coach despite the record, he's gone. one of the biggest reasons why andy was here for so long that he always had respect from his players because he listens and adjusts to his players and not doing things his way which nick and chip were doing, unfortunately we dont have that type of coach yet. it's difficult to find the next andy reid.

only reason why we are here, it's because our talent bailing us out, despite the bad coaching.

I don't know that I can agree with the highlighted part of your statement. AR was constantly accused of trying to fit square pegs into round holes. AR was so stubborn he didn't get REAL receivers, the key component for an otherwise well-rounded team, until we signed Terrell Owens. Granted, they still made it to 4 NFCCG's (3 before TO), however, if we had even DECENT receivers, we might have gone to at least 1, if not 2 more SB's during that run. We might have even won 1 in that era. 

You could also make the argument that McNabb was not a QB made for the WCO, yet that was exactly what he was plugged into. 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, Soumak said:

agreed..but i think they tried to keep the offense the same for Jaylen and this is the problem. if they brought in an experienced DC and OC and let nick focus on situational football they would have been in better shape. i think what happened was that as the defense started to go bad, nick started to focus on the defensive game planning more and more. While that was happening the offense started to flounder. So now Nick has to focus on offense and defense. Hence why the move to MP to free Nick up to focus on offense. Also why you are seeing the situational football aspect of this team suffer because Nick is not doing that anymore since he has to focus on the offense. 

Nick was hired because he is an offensive coach…not defensive. Now he is simply offensive.

Making the playoffs and WINNING in the playoffs are 2 very different things.

With the expanded NFL playoff format, .500 teams are making the playoffs.  But, if you don't win the division and get in as a wildcard, there is no home games, unless upsets happen.

Winning 3 straight away games is a big challenge, especially if you have to go to SF and Dallas.

I don't think there's anything Sirianni can do this year to get fired......but it certainly has put him in an unexpected position and puts next year under a microscope .  He's lost some credibility by sticking with brian johnson and not being able to get the eagles out of this offensive nightmare despite a very talented offensive unit.  His lack of recognition that there is a huge problem is concerning.   There simply hasn't been any improvement over 16 games.

Also, there is no reason to believe that anything will be different against the giants and the 1st round of the playoffs.  Players have been disgruntled and vocal.  Hurts is clearly frustrated. And once a coach loses the players, recovery takes a long time.

19 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't think there's anything Sirianni can do this year to get fired...

I mean I agree I don’t think there is… But if this team loses the next 2? Showing the same lack of heart and fight that they have then I think he’s got to go.

I actually think he’s done. I don’t think he’s going to get fired this off season but I think he’s done. I think next year is going to be a disaster because I don’t think he can turn this around.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

With the expanded NFL playoff format, .500 teams are making the playoffs. 

This isn´t anything new, though. It didn´t happen every season, but I´m sure teams got in with .500 records before. You won´t get .500 teams in there anyway, because it´s a 17 game season

21 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

With the expanded NFL playoff format, .500 teams are making the playoffs.  But, if you don't win the division and get in as a wildcard, there is no home games, unless upsets happen.

Winning 3 straight away games is a big challenge, especially if you have to go to SF and Dallas.

I don't think there's anything Sirianni can do this year to get fired......but it certainly has put him in an unexpected position and puts next year under a microscope .  He's lost some credibility by sticking with brian johnson and not being able to get the eagles out of this offensive nightmare despite a very talented offensive unit.  His lack of recognition that there is a huge problem is concerning.   There simply hasn't been any improvement over 16 games.

Also, there is no reason to believe that anything will be different against the giants and the 1st round of the playoffs.  Players have been disgruntled and vocal.  Hurts is clearly frustrated. And once a coach loses the players, recovery takes a long time.

He's one of two coaches in the last 30 years to start 2 consecutive seasons 10-1, not even Bellichick with prime Tom Brady ever managed it, but Sirianni is apparently a clown coach who has been over promoted.

He likely doesn't fully understand how the same players who steamrolled the NFL last year look so half assed right now, hell the players probably don't either, but there isn't a coach alive who is going to come out and say his 11 and 5 team have a huge problem when they've got a season to finish, it'll be what happens when it's all done that will tell what Sirianni thinks.  

• Like 2

Agreed. Assuming he remains HC - and I think he should - he has a lot of work to do in the spring and summer

1 hour ago, kiwinavega said:

Agreed. Assuming he remains HC - and I think he should - he has a lot of work to do in the spring and summer

My concern is that I’m not sure he’s the right man to identify those changes. The offense is bad and I think a lot of that is down to him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Have to assume that he recognizes the issues on offense even if he isn't stating so publicly.  As for making moves (yanking play-calling duties from BJ) not sure how much that will help ... who are you going to assign those duties to?  He can take that responsibility but remember the play-calling was pretty much as bad when he first got here and handled it.  The offense didn't really start to click until Steichen took control of the offense.  Any changes will have to wait until the offseason - if he is a smart man he'll hire a new OC with a creative mind that has a wealth of experience running an offense.  If he runs it back with BJ then that would indicate to me that the recognition is indeed not there.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Have to assume that he recognizes the issues on offense even if he isn't stating so publicly.  As for making moves (yanking play-calling duties from BJ) not sure how much that will help ... who are you going to assign those duties to?  He can take that responsibility but remember the play-calling was pretty much as bad when he first got here and handled it.  The offense didn't really start to click until Steichen took control of the offense.  Any changes will have to wait until the offseason - if he is a smart man he'll hire a new OC with a creative mind that has a wealth of experience running an offense.  If he runs it back with BJ then that would indicate to me that the recognition is indeed not there.  

His only choice is to hire an OC who’s got a creative mind and can come in and really change this offense and then call the plays. It’s become quite clear this year that he’s not a bright offensive mind and that’s not where his strengths lie. So he needs someone else to do that. Now if he can do that then maybe he can get this team back and he can do the cultural motivational stuff that seemed to make him a good HC. If not then he’s done for and next year will be a waste of time for everyone.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

His only choice is to hire an OC who’s got a creative mind and can come in and really change this offense and then call the plays. It’s become quite clear this year that he’s not a bright offensive mind and that’s not where his strengths lie. So he needs someone else to do that. Now if he can do that then maybe he can get this team back and he can do the cultural motivational stuff that seemed to make him a good HC. If not then he’s done for and next year will be a waste of time for everyone.

Yes I've stated numerous time recently that the best case scenario (IMHO) is for him to hire both a new OC and DC - both with plenty of experience running their respective units - and more importantly, allow them to run whatever scheme they have had the most success running (e.g. none of this dictating to the new DC what kind of scheme he wants run here which was reportedly the case with both Gannon and Desai).  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yes I've stated numerous time recently that the best case scenario (IMHO) is for him to hire both a new OC and DC - both with plenty of experience running their respective units - and more importantly, allow them to run whatever scheme they have had the most success running (e.g. none of this dictating to the new DC what kind of scheme he wants run here which was reportedly the case with both Gannon and Desai).  

I agree they need to hire a new OC and DC. I think a new DC is a guarantee right? They can’t go back to Desai after how that all played out and Patricia has been just as bad. I do worry about OC though. It almost feels like BJ gives Sirianni some protection and he may keep him for that reason. 

55 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree they need to hire a new OC and DC. I think a new DC is a guarantee right? They can’t go back to Desai after how that all played out and Patricia has been just as bad. I do worry about OC though. It almost feels like BJ gives Sirianni some protection and he may keep him for that reason. 

Fine keep BJ and give him another role ... just not in running the offense.  Nick needs to get the offense back on track.  That almost surely means new, innovative ideas ... you need to be able to constantly adapt and adjust because defenses eventually figure you out (they did with Chip, they now have done so with Nick).  Need someone from outside the organization with a creative mind to implement new ideas.  Otherwise we are guaranteed more of the SOS in 2024.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Fine keep BJ and give him another role ... just not in running the offense.  Nick needs to get the offense back on track.  That almost surely means new, innovative ideas ... you need to be able to constantly adapt and adjust because defenses eventually figure you out (they did with Chip, they now have done so with Nick).  Need someone from outside the organization with a creative mind to implement new ideas.  Otherwise we are guaranteed more of the SOS in 2024.  

Look I agree that’s what they need. We all know they need to bring in an offensive mind who can restructure this offensive scheme. I’m just not sure Sirianni is going to do that. He’s meant to be an offensive HC so if he’s not building the offensive scheme there will be questions on what he’s actually doing. 

More teams make the playoffs now. 

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look I agree that’s what they need. We all know they need to bring in an offensive mind who can restructure this offensive scheme. I’m just not sure Sirianni is going to do that. He’s meant to be an offensive HC so if he’s not building the offensive scheme there will be questions on what he’s actually doing. 

He yells at the fans and claps on the sidelines... so there's that. He also spends some time picking out stickers and highlighters for his visors. That probably keeps him somewhat busy. 

2 minutes ago, Gannan said:

He yells at the fans and claps on the sidelines... so there's that. He also spends some time picking out stickers and highlighters for his visors. That probably keeps him somewhat busy. 

I just worry that he’ll think he has to be the main offensive mind because that’s where he will add value. I think he’s wrong but I do worry that’s how he will think.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just worry that he’ll think he has to be the main offensive mind because that’s where he will add value. I think he’s wrong but I do worry that’s how he will think.

He will probably do what he's told, which is why he will be the coach next year regardless of how badly they get blown out in the 1st round. They need a new offensive scheme regardless. He runs a high school offense. He always has. 

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Hiring new coordinators in the offseason is a big priority.....but this season isn't over.  They have put themselves behind the 8 ball and will need a couple miracles to get to the super bowl.

There are offensive minded coaches out there, right now, who could come in and consult on playcalling and game planning.  They don't have to re-write the playbook.....I'm sure they have a sufficient amount and diversity of formations and plays that could be utilized.

What they need is someone who can recognize plays for situational calls, and utilize the talent at their disposal.....johnson clearly hasn't been able to do that.  

Ken Dorsey, Frank Reich, Josh McDaniels.....all available.  With loads more experience than Johnson.  Maybe they don't want to consider them for OC next year, but if they can improve the playcalling with this talent, the eagles could revive the offense enough to make playoff games interesting.

Siri lost his offensive and defensive coordinators. ANY team would have trouble adjusting to that. We'll see what becomes of him. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:31 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He's one of two coaches in the last 30 years to start 2 consecutive seasons 10-1, not even Bellichick with prime Tom Brady ever managed it, but Sirianni is apparently a clown coach who has been over promoted.

He likely doesn't fully understand how the same players who steamrolled the NFL last year look so half assed right now, hell the players probably don't either, but there isn't a coach alive who is going to come out and say his 11 and 5 team have a huge problem when they've got a season to finish, it'll be what happens when it's all done that will tell what Sirianni thinks.  

On 1/3/2024 at 11:42 AM, kiwinavega said:

23 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Siri lost his offensive and defensive coordinators. ANY team would have trouble adjusting to that. We'll see what becomes of him. 

I’m copying in various voices of reason.

1) Siri is not getting fired. I know things have been really bad in the past 5 weeks, but he took a 4 win team to the playoffs in each of his first 3 years, including one Super Bowl that we were really close to winning.

2) This season isn’t done yet. In all likelihood we will exit early from the playoffs, but loads of people said we were done in 2017 as well when Wentz got hurt.

3) The offense does not suck as some are making out. They are 8th in yards and 7th in points and get no favours from the D. Not good enough with the talent - but they don’t suck. 

4) The Super Bowl hangover is real. Everyone dismissed it before the season, but most teams struggle, particularly after a Super Bowl loss. Couple that with a brutal schedule. The Chiefs are also struggling. 

5) It’s really hard to lose both coordinators. The Chiefs just lost their OC and their offense has nose dived far more than ours. 

I’m not blind. There are clearly issues and I agree that we probably need new coordinators. Siri definitely deserves part of the blame. But so do Roseman and the players. 

But regardless of what happens this year he has earned the right to try and turn it around.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I’m copying in various voices of reason.

1) Siri is not getting fired. I know things have been really bad in the past 5 weeks, but he took a 4 win team to the playoffs in each of his first 3 years, including one Super Bowl that we were really close to winning.

2) This season isn’t done yet. In all likelihood we will exit early from the playoffs, but loads of people said we were done in 2017 as well when Wentz got hurt.

3) The offense does not suck as some are making out. They are 8th in yards and 7th in points and get no favours from the D. Not good enough with the talent - but they don’t suck. 

4) The Super Bowl hangover is real. Everyone dismissed it before the season, but most teams struggle, particularly after a Super Bowl loss. Couple that with a brutal schedule. The Chiefs are also struggling. 

5) It’s really hard to lose both coordinators. The Chiefs just lost their OC and their offense has nose dived far more than ours. 

I’m not blind. There are clearly issues and I agree that we probably need new coordinators. Siri definitely deserves part of the blame. But so do Roseman and the players. 

But regardless of what happens this year he has earned the right to try and turn it around.

Their offense doesn't have WR. If they did Andy would make it work. It's not the plays being called.

1 minute ago, Diehardfan said:

Their offense doesn't have WR. If they did Andy would make it work. It's not the plays being called.

They didn’t have good WRs last year.