Jason Peters discussion: will start at LT

time2rock

My prediction: We only slide from the best guard in football to a top 10 guard in football. I'm so glad Peters was willing to do this. It will extend his career at least another few years IMO

• Like 1

Also think we should trade Seumalo next year and have Peters start at LG in 2021, while drafting another

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

Also think we should trade Seumalo next year and have Peters start at LG in 2021, while drafting another

Peters can barely stay on the field now at age 38. Hes getting a bit long in the tooth. 1 year is fine, but Seumalo is healthy, young and solid. Don't see a trade being the smart plan for him. If your drafting oline, its more center and OG to replace Kelce and Brooks the aging Oline. Seumalo just doesnt make sense to think of moving on from. 

Howie: "We are no longer signing old, injury prone players."

Also Howie: "Welcome back, JP!"

You know what? I ain't even mad.

Meh, whatever. See how long that lasts and Peters says he can do a better job at LT and disrupting the whole line to please him

Peters according to this photo is here to play guard. Not surprised he’s back though. 

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Peters can barely stay on the field now at age 38. Hes getting a bit long in the tooth. 1 year is fine, but Seumalo is healthy, young and solid. Don't see a trade being the smart plan for him. If your drafting oline, its more center and OG to replace Kelce and Brooks the aging Oline. Seumalo just doesnt make sense to think of moving on from. 

Guard requires less athleticism and less being on an island against Demarcus Lawrence types. Yes, you have to go to the 2nd level, but its not as much of a dogfight. And one of the toughest things to do is to move on from just "solid" and try for greater. 

Just now, mrmagoo said:

Not sure why ppl think guard is so much easier than tackle.

You're mostly helping with double teams or blocking a LB. Why do tackles get paid more?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, matchew88 said:

Guard requires less athleticism and less being on an island against Demarcus Lawrence types. Yes, you have to go to the 2nd level, but its not as much of a dogfight. And one of the toughest things to do is to move on from just "solid" and try for greater. 

You're mostly helping with double teams or blocking a LB. Why do tackles get paid more?

Well you have two "greater" players who might not be in the NFL much longer. Might be smarter to find their replacements first. 

I like this move. I think Peters will do well at guard and also gives us added insurance at LT.

Wouldn't call it "big news" but definitely a solid move to upgrade the roster.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

Exactly - it's a lot more about strength and power which Peters still has, rather than footwork and mobility. You don't have to worry about a lightning fast DE getting a step on you and bending around to the QB. Peters should suit this position.

Also imagine running behind Peters and Johnson to the right side? They can maul people out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Not much of a surprise, esp after the Brooks injury. Had a feeling it would happen even without his injury and they were just waiting for his market price to plummet. 

News indicating he is a "guard" Wonder if hes making a move inside. he mentioned he would a few months ago.

The report indicated he was signed to replace Brooks at RG.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

The report indicated he was signed to replace Brooks at RG.  

If he was signed to play LT I would have been pretty annoyed with it. But as a guard? That's fine in my book, especially at that price.

14 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Howie: "We are no longer signing old, injury prone players."

Also Howie: "Welcome back, JP!"

You know what? I ain't even mad.

Agreed, and realistically what else were they going to do?  Driscoll hasn't even set foot in the complex, let alone the practice field.  A free agent would be expensive and a trade would cost draft capital AND be expensive and neither guy would know the playbook.  Peters knows the offense as well as anyone in the game and can hit the ground running.  Plus, he can swing over to cover either tackle position in a pinch.

The other good news is the Eagles clearly think Dillard is ready at LT.  That's a great sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Relying on him will be a big mistake. He's old and broken down. 

Went from thinking it was Clowney, Griffin, or anyone.........to Peters....that sucks. 

SMH. 

The week isn't over. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Good move, and some veteran insurance for tackle depth as well.  Hopefully Pryor beats him out though.

I think this says they don't have a ton of confidence in Pryor. 

44 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well you have two "greater" players who might not be in the NFL much longer. Might be smarter to find their replacements first. 

I think there would be time for another go-around at developing a rookie, and then you get a 5th for seumalo perhaps...

49 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Agreed, and realistically what else were they going to do?  Driscoll hasn't even set foot in the complex, let alone the practice field.  A free agent would be expensive and a trade would cost draft capital AND be expensive and neither guy would know the playbook.  Peters knows the offense as well as anyone in the game and can hit the ground running.  Plus, he can swing over to cover either tackle position in a pinch.

The other good news is the Eagles clearly think Dillard is ready at LT.  That's a great sign.

I like this move given unique circumstances around COVID, but think it would be misguided to think this is a vote of approval for Dillard. There is honestly no upside to Eagles by announcing him as an LT and this move is really just insurance for Dillard, but also throwing an all-time great at the gaping hole we have at RG and hoping he can fill it better than anyone we currently have (none of whom have played any meaningful NFL snaps, including Pryor). This doesn't mean Peters will all of a sudden be anything more than an average Guard...if anything, this is just a solid insurance policy for two different positions

2 minutes ago, dawkbleedsgreen said:

This doesn't mean Peters will all of a sudden be anything more than an average Guard.

Playing guard should be super easy for Peters. Flowers went from the worst player in pro football at tackle to a top tier free agent at guard. I fully expect Peters to be top five at the position if he stays healthy.

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Playing guard should be super easy for Peters. Flowers went from the worst player in pro football at tackle to a top tier free agent at guard. I fully expect Peters to be top five at the position if he stays healthy.

True, but there are a lot of unique circumstances playing against him that make me believe that won't be the case. Even though he has intimate knowledge of the scheme, he doesn't have the benefit of having a proper offseason to train and he's switching to the opposite side of the line. There is nothing that can replace live reps (communication along the line is paramount) and if we're being realistic, there are almost certainly going to be some restrictions that will prevent teams from having a training camp we're used to.

Peters is undoubtedly an all-time great talent and if this were a normal offseason, I think there would be many more reasons for the optimism, but I'd temper your expectations

28 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

When is the last time he stayed healthy for a season? Dude is constantly in and out of the lineup.