Accepting the reality

Vileborg

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Did the hire of Patricia really excite you?  How much did Patricia really run that defense while in NE ... that was more Belichick (same as Pederson when serving as OC in KC ... how much did he really run the offense ... that was Reid).  And yeah Gannon really screwed our opportunity to retain Fangio when he waited 10 days to disclose that he would be interviewing with AZ.  

The offensive side is much more than just the D having a much harder time getting stops and TOs.  Situational play calling is atrocious this year.  Take the game yesterday as an example ... 4 min left in a tie game and we go QB draw, QB draw, then bubble screen to our 2nd string RB.  :wacko:

I've been pretty vocal in how I hated it, I thought it was a bad move at the time because of his relationship with Slay and I thought letting him take the reigns was a bad move because like you said, that D was all BB and he proved it with how much of a shambles he was with the Lions. But he is also a big name with plenty of experience and a resume to boot, that doesn't make him the right choice. 

This is how the offense fared yesterday

3 and out punt

9 plays, 75 yards, TD

9 plays, 75 yards, TD

3 and out punt (Smith dropped a bomb on 3rd down that would have put them in scoring range)

13 plays, 75 yards, TD

6 plays, 14 yards, FG

5 plays, 24 yards and INT on a Hail Mary

The 3 plays after the penalty weren't great, but it drained the clock, kept them in scoring range rather than another negative play to knock them out and allowed them to take the lead. It was extremely conservative in a 1st and 20 situation but a sack would have been far worse. You know what would have helped? If the D could get a freaking stop instead of letting the Cards march up the field for their 4th straight TD. The offense and the offensive play calling were not the problem yesterday. There were problems last year as well but the D was far better and that helped bail the offense out when they hit those lulls. They haven't been as good this year for sure, but the drop off hasn't been as steep as what people are making it out to be. 

6 minutes ago, Mat said:

I've been pretty vocal in how I hated it, I thought it was a bad move at the time because of his relationship with Slay and I thought letting him take the reigns was a bad move because like you said, that D was all BB and he proved it with how much of a shambles he was with the Lions. But he is also a big name with plenty of experience and a resume to boot, that doesn't make him the right choice. 

This is how the offense fared yesterday

3 and out punt

9 plays, 75 yards, TD

9 plays, 75 yards, TD

3 and out punt (Smith dropped a bomb on 3rd down that would have put them in scoring range)

13 plays, 75 yards, TD

6 plays, 14 yards, FG

5 plays, 24 yards and INT on a Hail Mary

The 3 plays after the penalty weren't great, but it drained the clock, kept them in scoring range rather than another negative play to knock them out and allowed them to take the lead. It was extremely conservative in a 1st and 20 situation but a sack would have been far worse. You know what would have helped? If the D could get a freaking stop instead of letting the Cards march up the field for their 4th straight TD. The offense and the offensive play calling were not the problem yesterday. There were problems last year as well but the D was far better and that helped bail the offense out when they hit those lulls. They haven't been as good this year for sure, but the drop off hasn't been as steep as what people are making it out to be. 

I don't disagree with any of that as it relates to yesterday's game.  But I do think the offense has been a bigger problem this year than you want to acknowledge.  It wasn't as bad yesterday or week before because they were going up against 2 of the worst defenses.  When we were playing the better defenses we were averaging less than 7 first half points.  Regardless of whether the opinion is that the defense is the bigger culprit for our struggles or the reverse, the answer really is both (you can argue over % each contributes).  My 2 cents.  

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't disagree with any of that as it relates to yesterday's game.  But I do think the offense has been a bigger problem this year than you want to acknowledge.  It wasn't as bad yesterday or week before because they were going up against 2 of the worst defenses.  When we were playing the better defenses we were averaging less than 7 first half points.  Regardless of whether the opinion is that the defense is the bigger culprit for our struggles or the reverse, the answer really is both (you can argue over % each contributes).  My 2 cents.  

I don't disagree with that either. I think the inability of the offense to sustain drives and keeping the D out on the field against both the 49'ers and Cowboys was a key. They seemed tired and sluggish after the Bills OT game and the offense not being able to keep them off the field contributed to that. However the last 3 weeks with an easier schedule the D should have feasted on Lock, the Giants and Cards. You don't give up game winning drives to Lock and allow the Cards to score 4 straight TD's. The offense needed them to get a stop late and they collapsed in 2 of those games forcing them to go out and try and win the game with 30 odd seconds on the clock. 

Yes the situational play calling can be better, but I still think people are looking through rose coloured glasses when looking at last season. They had a far easier schedule and still had patches in games where they looked like ass. Hurts has been banged up this year and turned the ball over more, but so has Mahomes for the Chiefs. Everyone brings up how his receivers are worse but they only lost and overrated JuJu and I'd argue Rice has been better. The main change, they last Bieniemy and replaced him with Matt Nagy....

The one area I feel they have regressed is their ability to run out the clock. When they go to run the ball late in games with a lead they aren't getting the yardage and push that they were last year. It could be a combo of the change at RB from Sanders to Swift and losing Seumalo who was a key to them running the ball so well. The same QB draws were also getting much better yardage last season and were effective in the RZ with Hurts able to run a bunch in. 

• Like 1

Maybe the Eagles will look at Reich for OC and Staley for DC. I'm not sure at this point if that would excite fans, but it would bring in a couple guys that were good coordinators that won't be seen as HC candidates again anytime soon. If they can improve each unit, there would possibly be some stability for more than just 1 year. 

18 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Maybe the Eagles will look at Reich for OC and Staley for DC. I'm not sure at this point if that would excite fans, but it would bring in a couple guys that were good coordinators that won't be seen as HC candidates again anytime soon. If they can improve each unit, there would possibly be some stability for more than just 1 year. 

I don't think Reich comes in as the OC. I had a look and the Eagles do actually have a 'Senior Offensive Assistant'. It's currently Marcus Brady, he was the Colts OC for a year after Sirianni. I'd expect him to be replaced

The Chargers D was consistently disappointing with the talent they had. He had one year as a DC where he did well before getting the HC spot. He seems like a trap. 

The fact is they settled for a "Fangio like" coordinator in Desai when they couldn't get Fangio to stick around...what really baffles me is every DC we get why the do the CBs play 6 yards of the LOS on 3rd and shorts? Do they let the CBs themselves decide or are they all smoking something? 

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

Did the hire of Patricia really excite you?  How much did Patricia really run that defense while in NE ... that was more Belichick (same as Pederson when serving as OC in KC ... how much did he really run the offense ... that was Reid).  And yeah Gannon really screwed our opportunity to retain Fangio when he waited 10 days to disclose that he would be interviewing with AZ.  

The offensive side is much more than just the D having a much harder time getting stops and TOs.  Situational play calling is atrocious this year.  Take the game yesterday as an example ... 4 min left in a tie game and we go QB draw, QB draw, then bubble screen to our 2nd string RB.  :wacko:

You have to admit…No one in the right mind…..would expect a QB draw call twice in the row, with 4 min left in the tie game. Only insane genius is capable of such a call….Ok maybe not a genius…but definitely insane.

18 hours ago, brkmsn said:

^^^

Best case scenario right there.  

18 hours ago, brkmsn said:

My guess is if they change DC (and I still think Desai did a passable job with a horrible secondary considering the schedule) they make Sirianni take Dennard Wilson, all the talk is Lurie and Howie wanted him over Desai anyway.

At OC Reich isn't coming in to call someone else's offense as OC, but I can see Howie and Lurie pulling another iteration of that offensive brains trust deal like they saddled Doug with in 2020 when we brought in Mornhinweg and Scangarello as Offensive Consultants and we promptly played like dead ass and went 4-11-1.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

^^^

Best case scenario right there.  

Yup. I think we should get an experienced DC who has no shot at being a HC any time soon.  Leslie Frazier, Staley etc.

On 1/1/2024 at 5:30 AM, brkmsn said:

I don't get it. We already cut Barnett and benched Watkins. How did this not make our team better?

On 1/1/2024 at 6:00 AM, EazyEaglez said:

😂🤣😂 The offense actually scores more points without Watkins out there. 😂🤣😂 Yeah cutting Barnett and is 7 snaps a game is what ails this defense. 🤮

People wanted to cut Barnett so Smith could get more snaps. (And because they have an irrational hatred of him thanks to the likes of BLG).

By not using Barnett properly in the rotation and then cutting him, we’ve exhausted Reddick and Sweat to the point that Sweat in particular has been completely ineffective the last few weeks and had to play Smith more when he is clearly not ready. Meanwhile Barnett has been a wrecking ball for the Texans, finally being used properly.

Reality is this team isn’t doing ish and the coaches need to be fired except Nick and Special Teams 

I think they'll win in the wild card round, but assuming the defense still stinks, they'll lose in the divisional. The defense has to miraculously just play decent in order for a strong playoff run. I'm not fooling myself, so I'm watching with low expectations 

14 hours ago, MF POON said:

I think they'll win in the wild card round, but assuming the defense still stinks, they'll lose in the divisional. The defense has to miraculously just play decent in order for a strong playoff run. I'm not fooling myself, so I'm watching with low expectations 

Assuming the defense still stinks? If they somehow beat the Giants then I can’t see them beating the NFC South winner. Why? Because I can’t see this team winning back to back games with this defense. For this team to win a game the offense has to be perfect. They can do that in one game but they can’t do it week in and week out.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Assuming the defense still stinks? If they somehow beat the Giants then I can’t see them beating the NFC South winner. Why? Because I can’t see this team winning back to back games with this defense. For this team to win a game the offense has to be perfect. They can do that in one game but they can’t do it week in and week out.

Eh,  I think Tampa and the Sants are both bad enough to lose to this team.  Sure, I could see the Eagles losing as well, but I think they'd pull out a win against both teams. 

3 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Eh,  I think Tampa and the Sants are both bad enough to lose to this team.  Sure, I could see the Eagles losing as well, but I think they'd pull out a win against both teams. 

I agree they can beat either of those. But I don’t see this team right now being good enough to win back to back games. And if I’m not confident they’d beat NY then I’m much less confident they’ll beat Tampa or NO.

People act like the 2017 team that won a super bowl had a great defense or something. The patriots only had the ball for just under 26 minutes and still had 613 yards against us, Brady threw for over 500 with 3 TDs. Their team averaged over 5 yards per carry. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

People act like the 2017 team that won a super bowl had a great defense or something. The patriots only had the ball for just under 26 minutes and still had 613 yards against us, Brady threw for over 500 with 3 TDs. Their team averaged over 5 yards per carry. 

You are right that defense in the SB sucked. But it didn’t against Atlanta or Minnesota. It came up with big plays in big moments during the regular season. And it didn’t let drive after drive after drive end in a TD like this defense has done. That D was not great but it made plays and it did just enough to help out the offense. This D doesn’t do that at all really. What this D has done the for weeks now is historically bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You are right that defense in the SB sucked. But it didn’t against Atlanta or Minnesota. It came up with big plays in big moments during the regular season. And it didn’t let drive after drive after drive end in a TD like this defense has done. That D was not great but it made plays and it did just enough to help out the offense. This D doesn’t do that at all really. What this D has done the for weeks now is historically bad.

It's the same group of players that seemed to help us win games earlier in the year when the offense was struggling. I'm supposed to believe that now, after a few disappointing games, they are completely incapable of having a decent game? BTW, the Vikings had a terrible game against us --- yeah ... other teams can have a bad day too. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It's the same group of players that seemed to help us win games earlier in the year when the offense was struggling. I'm supposed to believe that now, after a few disappointing games, they are completely incapable of having a decent game? BTW, the Vikings had a terrible game against us --- yeah ... other teams can have a bad day too. 

The defensive players that were on that SB team are now 5 years older.  Also, the secondary has been pretty bad all season, but the run defense was great the first 9 or so weeks. I don't know if it was injuries to the LBs or fatigue, but they've stunk in all phases since then.  the only game they played that was somewhat good was the Seattle game, and then they blew it at the end. 

11 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I just think the sample size of this defense being bad is greater than the sample size of being enough. The players also look so exhausted so there’s less chance of them recapturing any of that form from earlier in the year.

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The main difference from earlier in the season is they have a new person running the unit and have looked even worse.

They are tired, have no confidence and the new play caller in Patricia hasn't given them the jolt they hoped it would. You can't leave this D in a situation with the game on the line because they'll crumble and we saw that when Lock lead Seattle down the field and Connor was able to punch one in for the Cards. Even if we look at the SB, Graham was able to make a critical play at a critical time. Who makes that play now? Is it still Graham? He is on the tail end of his career. Is it Reddick? The first 3 and long the Seahawks had the other week they dropped Reddick into coverage. 

They also don't have the talent to carry bad coaching. Who are the game wreckers on this D? Reddick maybe? Slay isn't the guy that's going to get you 8 INT's in a season anymore while shutting down the opponents best WR. Brown and Ringo have both had INT's but you can't expect rookies to account for all your turnovers. It's the unfortunate reality of the D right now and they haven't even been able to dominate against the sheety back ups that you would expect them to dominate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mat said:

They also don't have the talent to carry bad coaching. Who are the game wreckers on this D? Reddick maybe? Slay isn't the guy that's going to get you 8 INT's in a season anymore while shutting down the opponents best WR. Brown and Ringo have both had INT's but you can't expect rookies to account for all your turnovers. It's the unfortunate reality of the D right now and they haven't even been able to dominate against the sheety back ups that you would expect them to dominate 

Not only do they not have the talent but they also don’t have players who are going to force the turnovers. As you say there are no players who you can turn to to get you a key takeaway. The rookies have made plays but they’ve also made mistakes (as you expect).

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not only do they not have the talent but they also don’t have players who are going to force the turnovers. As you say there are no players who you can turn to to get you a key takeaway. The rookies have made plays but they’ve also made mistakes (as you expect).

Maybe if Cunningham returns they look a little better. I just don't trust Patricia to put them in a position to succeed. The pass rush has been underwhelming, they aren't making the same adjustments they were earlier in the season, they're missing tackles at an alarming rate and they can't get off the field on third down. 

The talent isn't god awful, if it was they wouldn't have won as many games as they have. They may be trying too hard to force a turnover or a big hit instead of just wrapping up the ball carrier. It's all fundamental issues that can be caused by over coaching. The reason they went to Patricia was because they felt they weren't able to play on instinct and were being overloaded. Well it's probably still the case and far worse now. Communication was one of the main criticisms people had of Patricia as Lions HC. Players look confused with what their responsibilities are at times, there was clear vision against the Cardinals of about 4 players huddled up trying to work out what the hell their assignments were. 

You can't go back to Desai at this point, but who else can you put in charge for the last game and playoffs? 

4 minutes ago, Mat said:

The talent isn't god awful, if it was they wouldn't have won as many games as they have.

See I think they are God awful. I think they aren’t making any plays now whereas before they made a few. But I think before teams were making mistakes or our offense was finding enough to get the W. We’ve played a lot of bad or average teams. I mean the KC win was huge at the time but now it doesn’t quite look as impressive. 

• Haha 1