Post-mortem for this season and looking at the bright side for next season..

opa-opa

We have 2 2nd rd picks next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I still say that your best defense is a ball controlling offense, that's usually done via the running game, you know, like the Cards did to us.  If you're controlling the ball your opponent's offense is on the sidelines looking.

We have finesse runners, we need strong downhill runners that will keep the chains moving, this will also aid the passing game because the LBs won't be dropping in pass coverage because they'll need to help stop that strong downhill runner.

This is Offensive Football 101.

Eagles did it last year with so called "finesse runners". A shame they went away from it. Lost in the L vs the Cardinals was Swift running Bubba the F over lol. Trucked him like he was a little kid.

• Like 2

I know things seem very bleak but I think it's still a bit early to be writing the postmortem and moving on to next year. I'm not holding out a lot of hope and it's glass half empty situation. But this level of defeatism is a bit much for me.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I know things seem very bleak but I think it's still a bit early to be writing the postmortem and moving on to next year. I'm not holding out a lot of hope and it's glass half empty situation. But this level of defeatism is a bit much for me.

hope is a lie. even if they somehow win sunday which i doubt since they almost lost at home to them a few weeks ago, mentally they are a beaten team. they're in their own heads. they also lack good coaching, and defensive secondary talent. the d-line does not have enough time to get to these qbs because recievers are open from the get go. they just got owned by kyler freaking murray.

• Like 1

There is NO bright side for next season, IMO.

I've said it 100,000 times, last year was set up PERFECTLY to win a 2nd Lombardi. I'm still SMFH at that SB game/loss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

hope is a lie. even if they somehow win sunday which i doubt since they almost lost at home to them a few weeks ago, mentally they are a beaten team. they're in their own heads. they also lack good coaching, and defensive secondary talent. the d-line does not have enough time to get to these qbs because recievers are open from the get go. they just got owned by kyler freaking murray.

That may all be true but I can at least wait until the season is officially over to conclude that was indeed how we ended the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Godfather said:

We have 2 2nd rd picks next year

For Howie to blow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LacesOut said:

There is NO bright side for next season, IMO.

I've said it 100,000 times, last year was set up PERFECTLY to win a 2nd Lombardi. I'm still SMFH at that SB game/loss.

I blake Bradberry for everything. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/31/2023 at 6:31 PM, wrestlevessel said:

There is nothing to look forward to. We will have the same crappy coaches, bad draft pick, and Kelce and veterans retiring. Howie and Lurie are clueless.

I wouldn't say a GM and owner who got us to 2 Super Bowls are "clueless." They have to re-evaluate, adjust and move forward. And that's what they will do.

• Like 2

What really sucks about this season is that we already know it's over.  I suppose we can "have fun" (:ph34r:) rooting for them in the playoffs, but it's depressing knowing this team has no shot.  To make matters worse, we'll be picking late in the draft.  With the way this team has played, it's a crime that they actually won as many games as they have thus killing our draft positioning.

What sucks even more is we'll probably be watching a San Fran vs Dallas NFCCG.🤢

• Like 1

I'm not going to give up on the post season just yet. Not until we're winning by 6 or fewer with under a minute to go and we just gave the ball back to whoever we're playing. Then it's time to give up because this D won't stop them from scoring and leaving us no time to respond. :huh: 

Until then though, I'll keep in mind that the 10-6 5th seeded Giants won the Super Bowl vs. an 18-0 team.  Not that it's likely to happen again, but it's not 100% impossible. 

On 1/4/2024 at 5:43 AM, The Norseman said:

Agree.  We are going to lose a lot of elite players and leaders after this season and the whole complexion of the team will change.  The good news is that we will get younger and have some money to spend.  But the veteran leadership losses will be a lot to overcome.  I expect a two to three year rebuild after this before we contend again (assuming Hurts doesn't regress further).  

We may loose key players and have less money to spend. It's going to suck.

• Like 3

The window, IMO, has closed. 

The are not a Championship team . No way. They have like 4 players that are so old that they could RETIRE. 

For the 100000th time, last year was the season to win it all. 

This Defense is just putrid. Awful. Thy will not be able to stop any playoff team that they face. 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2024 at 6:14 PM, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

1) the Sunday game is meaningless
2)  "mentally they're beaten team"  -where are you getting that?  That sounds like an argument a Cowboys fan would make.
3) defensive secondary talent will improve when Slay gets back, it'll still be a weakness.
4) Kyler Murray is mid.  The Cardinals did pretty bad this year.  Murray, however,  has a 3-4 record.   You forgot to mention that this game was Gannon's Super Bowl.  And that Gannon really knows the Eagles very well.

And Eagle fans don't deserve a home game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

1) the Sunday game is meaningless
2)  "mentally they're beaten team"  -where are you getting that?  That sounds like an argument a Cowboys fan would make.
3) defensive secondary talent will improve when Slay gets back, it'll still be a weakness.
4) Kyler Murray is mid.  The Cardinals did pretty bad this year.  Murray, however,  has a 3-4 record.   You forgot to mention that this game was Gannon's Super Bowl.  And that Gannon really knows the Eagles very well.

And Eagle fans don't deserve a home game. 

what i'm getting at is that they're cooked. there's no amount of wishing or hoping that's going to fix this team. they got to 10-1 by the skin of their teeth and since they've been an embarrassment. Slay isn't going to change a thing. they were bad with him in and they've been bad since he's been out. everyone knows this team well at this point. terrible defense with a predictable offense.

Nothing to look forward to if siriana is still here  or with Howie’s poor personnel choices. 

On 1/4/2024 at 8:43 AM, The Norseman said:

Agree.  We are going to lose a lot of elite players and leaders after this season and the whole complexion of the team will change.  The good news is that we will get younger and have some money to spend.  But the veteran leadership losses will be a lot to overcome.  I expect a two to three year rebuild after this before we contend again (assuming Hurts doesn't regress further).  

Of the vets expected to retire, Lane is the one they should try to keep.  True that it is hard to replace the old guards, particularly the young ones are not yet ready to step up.  If they do make changes in the coaching staff, the styles will change with it along with the personnel.  It will be a couple of seasons before this team can content again.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, LacesOut said:

The window, IMO, has closed. 

The are not a Championship team . No way. They have like 4 players that are so old that they could RETIRE. 

For the 100000th time, last year was the season to win it all. 

This Defense is just putrid. Awful. Thy will not be able to stop any playoff team that they face. 

Well because we play in a very weak NFC there will always be a window imho. Hurts is still one of the top qbs in the NFC. Besides the 49ers and Dallas, who else is really gonna challenge them?

6 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Well because we play in a very weak NFC there will always be a window imho. Hurts is still one of the top qbs in the NFC. Besides the 49ers and Dallas, who else is really gonna challenge them?

Detroit, Rams, the entire NFC.

13 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Of the vets expected to retire, Lane is the one they should try to keep.  True that it is hard to replace the old guards, particularly the young ones are not yet ready to step up.  If they do make changes in the coaching staff, the styles will change with it along with the personnel.  It will be a couple of seasons before this team can content again.

Agree, but if this season goes the way we think it will go then I think these guys will be ready to hang it up.  Lane may stay just to see if he can help is HOF bid with another pro bowl....but I'm not convinced that anyone would want to stay with this team regardless of their reasoning.  

I have NO desire to watch Brian Johnson call another year of a high school football offense.

The guy was blessed with a MVP caliber QB, a stable of very good RBs, 2 outstanding WRs, a top 5 TE and the best line in football.......and he couldn't utilize the talent.

And until they let him go, because he didn't show any improvement over the whole year, they're going to be boring and predictable on offense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

I have NO desire to watch Brian Johnson call another year of a high school football offense.

The guy was blessed with a MVP caliber QB, a stable of very good RBs, 2 outstanding WRs, a top 5 TE and the best line in football.......and he couldn't utilize the talent.

And until they let him go, because he didn't show any improvement over the whole year, they're going to be boring and predictable on offense.

Not defending Johnson here but it's more complicated than you make it out to be.  If your beef is with the creativity of the plays then blame Nick.  It's his offense, BJ is just the play caller (which has also been awful).  Either way, unloading the OC won't do us any good unless we overhaul the offense with a new architect. 

And if that happens....then what does Nick actually do for this team?

• Like 1

I just think Siri is proving that he can't replace the talent on his first staff when they leave.  We saw it with the last staff and this is just more of the same.  My guess is that Siri/Steichen/Gannon was pretty collaborative, but Siri/Johnson/Desai is more of a dictatorship and the OC and DC are out of their comfort zone.

Not much will change if all the coaches are back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Not defending Johnson here but it's more complicated than you make it out to be.  If your beef is with the creativity of the plays then blame Nick.  It's his offense, BJ is just the play caller (which has also been awful).  Either way, unloading the OC won't do us any good unless we overhaul the offense with a new architect. 

And if that happens....then what does Nick actually do for this team?

This is basically the same offense that took them to the super bowl last year......The difference is the play calling......and that covers a lot of things.  The situational play calling, the red zone play calling, using the all the talent at his disposal, the usage of the RBs, recognizing and exploiting mismatches.....etc....

The playbook has hundreds of plays....but if the OC doesn't use the diversity of the playbook, it becomes vanilla, boring and unproductive.

Yes, the problem is complicated.....but in today's NFL, the offense has to be the catalyst for the defense....winning field position, controlling the ball and the clock and becoming more efficient.  

There is no excuse for this offense not to be a top 5 offense......And what I blame Sirianni for is not replacing johnson or, at the very least, bringing in an offensive consultant to help with the game planning and the play calling.   The fact that this has not been addresses, to me, is the biggest issue this team has.