Give up on next Sunday

Arsenal79

I support resting our starters.  A week of rest and recovery will at least give the players some fresh legs to come out on in the playoffs.  Obviously, it won't fix our atrocious play calling and crayon created offense...but we won a lot of games on talent alone this season.  How can it hurt?  I mean, at the very least it gives the coaching staff an acceptable excuse for another embarrassing loss.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

I support resting our starters.  A week of rest and recovery will at least give the players some fresh legs to come out on in the playoffs.  Obviously, it won't fix our atrocious pay calling and crayon created offense...but we won a lot of games on talent alone this season.  How can it hurt?  I mean, at the very least it gives the coaching staff an acceptable excuse for another embarrassing loss.  

This is where I’m at. Give them a week off to see if that makes any difference. It may not and if it doesn’t then we are no worse off than we are right now. But if we lose again this week with the starters? And don’t get that week rest? And possibly lose starters to injury? I mean that’s definitely the lights out.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:41 PM, Arsenal79 said:

The defense is beyond worn down.  Only chance is to give them a week off to recharge before the playoffs.  Play all backups next Sunday and rest up for the wild card game.

Time's yours...

They've had 5 weeks off. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is where I’m at. Give them a week off to see if that makes any difference. It may not and if it doesn’t then we are no worse off than we are right now. But if we lose again this week with the starters? And don’t get that week rest? And possibly lose starters to injury? I mean that’s definitely the lights out.

Right.  And I do think fatigue is a serious component here.  It is no coincidence that this team fell off a cliff after two hard fought games in KC and the Bills. Getting mauled by SF and Dallas the following weeks didn't help.  Can't hurt to let the muscles recover and the bruises heal.

I'll wait till the offseason to start a thread about Nick not running these guys hard enough in the preseason.  I think the soft approach to practice caught up with us this year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Norseman said:

Right.  And I do think fatigue is a serious component here.  It is no coincidence that this team fell off a cliff after two hard fought games in KC and the Bills. Getting mauled by SF and Dallas the following weeks didn't help.  Can't hurt to let the muscles recover and the bruises heal.

I think the reality is this team is going to be the #5 seed. And so they are going on the road probably to Tampa but maybe to NO. And they know they can beat either of those opponents (they could also lose to be fair). So get rested and get ready. Win one play off game and who knows.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the reality is this team is going to be the #5 seed. And so they are going on the road probably to Tampa but maybe to NO. And they know they can beat either of those opponents (they could also lose to be fair). So get rested and get ready. Win one play off game and who knows.

Agreed.  You've destroyed your advantage in the regular season.  Take the L and get prepared as best you can for the playoffs. 

Just sucks that the Cowboys game is at the same time.  If it was a 1pm game this would be a no brainer. 

I’m sorry - you can’t even consider resting players until you are sure that the division is gone. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I’m sorry - you can’t even consider resting players until you are sure that the division is gone. 

The commanders are awful, and even with Dallas not being good on the road, I still wouldn't expect WAS to win. Honestly, in terms of matchups I like facing the NFC South winner over the Packers at home. Then you just hope the 6 and 7 seeds pull off upsets, which could honestly happen as the Rams are playing well atm, and Dallas chokes in the playoffs.

If Siriani rests starters for this game, he may as well pack his bags and leave town. It'd be a defeatist attitude. I don't think he will rest them, unless it comes to halftime and Dallas is up, say, 35-0, then I would be OK pulling the main starters (just in case)...but heck, go out there and play for the Division...it's not over yet!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I get that because if Dallas lose and we rest our starters and lose then we will kick ourselves. Thing is this team looks broken and tired and I’m not even sure the starters can beat NY right now.

Both games kick off at the same time so they have to play to win. The Cowboys seem to always find a way to screw it up, especially on the road, so who knows?  Regardless, the only hope the Eagles have to snap out of it is to play their starters to win and try...try...to get something going.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Both games kick off at the same time so they have to play to win. The Cowboys seem to always find a way to screw it up, especially on the road, so who knows?  Regardless, the only hope the Eagles have to snap out of it is to play their starters to win and try...try...to get something going.

I just think the rest is more important. This team playing again isn’t going to help to find anything new about this team.

• Like 1

i'm all for resting our starters this game and next game. no need for them the rest of this season. might as well start planning for next season.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MF POON said:

The commanders are awful, and even with Dallas not being good on the road, I still wouldn't expect WAS to win. Honestly, in terms of matchups I like facing the NFC South winner over the Packers at home. Then you just hope the 6 and 7 seeds pull off upsets, which could honestly happen as the Rams are playing well atm, and Dallas chokes in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Yes the Cowboys should beat the Commanders but their away record is bad and stranger things have happened.

As @EagleTen says if Siri gives up while the division title is still live then he has lost the team. It’s genuinely ludicrous. Some of the D-Line could do with some rest for sure, but more importantly the whole team needs some momentum.

The Eagles best chance is definitely getting the 2 or 3 seed and then hope the Cowboys either knock off the 49ers or at least make them vulnerable for their next opponent. 

• Like 1

This Eagles team psyche is shot and another lost this weekend won’t help that’s why I’m leaning towards resting the starters.

Also, I see no way the commanders try to beat Dallas and miss out on the 2nd pick in the draft.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they rest their starters as well just to see what they have moving forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I’m sorry - you can’t even consider resting players until you are sure ...

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just think the rest is more important. This team playing again isn’t going to help to find anything new about this team.

But what if the Cowboys, playing down I-95, lose while the Eagles are resting?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Then the eagles have rested and they get a week to try and get right…

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

I guess the question is...are you better off with home felid advantage and a team that literally can't play...or with a team that's better rested playing on the road?  Six in one half dozen in the other if you ask me.

This is all just speculation anyway.  We all know they will play their starters until such point that either we are blowing out the Giants or the Cowboys are blowing out the Redskins.  

Beating the Giants by a FG in a nail biter with the starters scratching, clawing, and burning themselves out while Dallas coasts to a win will further destroy the fabric of this team.

let them take a week off and maybe they’ll forget they suck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Then the eagles have rested and they get a week to try and get right…

Rested and on the road.  Home field is key in the playoffs.  

7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Rested and on the road vs not rested and on the road. Because the chances that we beat NY AND Dallas lose to Washington are tiny.

I feel compelled to point out that the Commanders gave San Fran a hell of a game in the first half on Sunday, they actually could pressure the Cowboys in to a choke job.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:29 AM, Hawkeye said:

20 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I feel compelled to point out that the Commanders gave San Fran a hell of a game in the first half on Sunday, they actually could pressure the Cowboys in to a choke job.

Right - plus they hate Dallas and a lot of players and coaches will be trying to show something for their next contract. 

Some of the takes on this board are ludicrous. The Cowboys are genuinely vulnerable on the road. They are 3-5! We have already pretty much handed them the 2 seed. It would be idiotic to roll out the red carpet as well. Make them earn it.

The 2 seed is our only realistic path to the Super Bowl this year. We get Cunningham and Slay back which should help.

You can argue about whether you would want Green Bay at home or Tampa away (I’d play the Pack), but then you would have to beat San Fran and Dallas both on the road. Not happening.

Eagles need to and will play starters until Cowboys game has a clear result. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Some of the takes on this board are ludicrous. The Cowboys are genuinely vulnerable on the road. They are 3-5! We have already pretty much handed them the 2 seed. It would be idiotic to roll out the red carpet as well. Make them earn it.

I don’t actually think it’s so much about the Cowboys though bud. I don’t think many of us have any confidence that this team can go on the road and beat the Giants. That’s certainly what it comes down to for me.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:03 PM, eagle45 said:

Beating the Giants by a FG in a nail biter with the starters scratching, clawing, and burning themselves out while Dallas coasts to a win will further destroy the fabric of this team.

let them take a week off and maybe they’ll forget they suck.

and this is assuming that they win