The Running Game

EagleVA

3 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Oh yeah, he finished runs alright, by diving into the turf to avoid getting popped, it happened countless times, did you miss all of them?

If by diving you mean getting tripped up and getting tackled like all running backs around the league, yes I saw them.

They need to commit to the run and bring in a bruiser to pair with Swift.  I want to go back to the thunder and lightning days.  Coupled with with Hurt's ability to run and/or go over the top this would be lethal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, judunno said:

If by diving you mean getting tripped up and getting tackled like all running backs around the league, yes I saw them.

One day you're going to figure out that football is a physical game and you need physical players to play it well.

Don't get me wrong, the finesse runners have a role but it's not as important as the role of the physical runners.  

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

One day you're going to figure out that football is a physical game and you need physical players to play it well.

Don't get me wrong, the finesse runners have a role but it's not as important as the role of the physical runners.  

I like the idea of having both style backs. Championships have been won with no running games at all so nothing is absolute.

23 hours ago, EagleVA said:

They'll quickly change their minds if they get a RB worth a damn.

Top 5 like, oh...Swift?

Regardless, the Eagles only have one RB under contract for 2024 so they'll get to rebuild the room however they want. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Running 1k in the NFL now though isn’t a huge achievement. 

No but I’m sure he did it in far less carries then most.

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Top 5 like, oh...Swift?

It's all about when you do what you do. 

That's what the phrase "garbage time" addresses.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:05 PM, opa-opa said:

Didnt they have Rashaad Penny?

🤫🤫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

No but I’m sure he did it in far less carries then most.

Swift was 5th in total yards, 12th in attempts.  He had 229 attempts.  The 4 rushers above in in yards, their attempts were: 228, 237, 272, 280. 

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Swift was 5th in total yards, 12th in attempts.  He had 229 attempts.  The 4 rushers above in in yards, their attempts were: 228, 237, 272, 280. 

Pretty good year. If I remember correctly he got his 1000 yards in his 16th game (15 if you factor in the first game when he had 1 whole carry). Didn't play the last game vs the Giants. I thought they could have used him more in the pass game matched up with LBs/Safeties but that never came to fruition.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Swift had over 1k yards and he was hardly used. Running the ball is not their biggest issue.

Running football is a big issue…if you listen to Kyle Shanahan talk about football philosophy.

Is Swift a FA? I think they're going to overhaul the RB room if that's the case. They won't pay him what he'll get on the open market.

Penny is gone, he is a good runner but can't pass block, like at all. That's a key to be on the field with this team.

Scott I feel like he was a one year deal, and while he had been productive here it's time to move on. 

That leaves just Gainwell who has looked mediocre. They probably trade for someone, draft somebody and sign a boom or bust prospect with question marks.

Henry is probably the biggest name on the market. Zack Moss will get decent money from a team in terms of RB salaries. Tyler Allgeier may be an interesting name if the Falcons want to give Bijan the bulk of the carries with a new coach.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:18 PM, The Norseman said:

They need to commit to the run and bring in a bruiser to pair with Swift.  I want to go back to the thunder and lightning days.  Coupled with with Hurt's ability to run and/or go over the top this would be lethal. 

Have to agree.  No clue why they aren't doing this.  It's staring us in the face even.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 6:12 AM, EagleVA said:

One of the biggest failures with the Eagles offense the past 2 seasons has been the running game and it needs to be fixed.

Just like when the Eagles were 10-1 everybody thought juggernaut, likewise, everybody thought the running game was the real deal for the first 4-5 games of the year.

The Eagles fans and FO are enamoured with open field runners with no physically to their game, this is the exact reason why AR never won it all, he made the decision to go with Wussbrook as his lead back......big mistake!!

This year they went with Swift, the turn the other way, turf diving back, pretty much a Miles Sanders clone, not gonna work when you play against the better defenses.

If the Eagles don't draft two physical runners in the upcoming draft don't expect the offense to improve worth a damn.   

If Eagles do not want to run the ball, or abandon the running game at he first sign of trouble...then what use is drafting a big back? Why throw away resources? We Urgently need to draft multiple defensive positions for the next 2 drafts, and we need to hit on at least 5 of the picks at LB, Safety and DE. Perhaps a CB too.

Swift had 1000 yards rushing, and to me it felt like the Eagles hardly ever ran the ball. 

Just a weird season, all around.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

If Eagles do not want to run the ball, or abandon the running game at he first sign of trouble...then what use is drafting a big back? Why throw away resources? We Urgently need to draft multiple defensive positions for the next 2 drafts, and we need to hit on at least 5 of the picks at LB, Safety and DE. Perhaps a CB too.

You don't need to use a high pick or spend big in free agency to get a serviceable RB.

Swift is exhibit A. 

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

You don't need to use a high pick or spend big in free agency to get a serviceable RB.

Swift is exhibit A. 

Swift was deceived. He came here because we used to be a winning team that ran the ball. He was a band aid. I do not see Swift coming back here.

After this year what reason does any quality rb , or for that matter a quality free agent has a reason to come here. Money? We do not have much. Draft a rb in the draft sounds great, until I think of how many other holes we have on defense…

and there are not many unsigned free agents that will come here either after the draft. Why should they. The team philosophy, is bubble screen, bubble screen, QB designed run. No room for RB to develop.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:41 PM, Kz! said:

Man, EagleVA complains about Brian Westbrook, an Eagle great, being soft while, bizarrely, one of his current favorite players is Quez Watkins. Incredible.

When did you ever hear me say Watkins was one of my favorites? 

That's right, NEVER!..........F'ing LIAR!!.

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

When did you ever hear me say Watkins was one of my favorites? 

That's right, NEVER!..........F'ing LIAR!!.

You've spoken highly of him while disparaging Smith and even suggested that we need to devise a gameplan to feed him the ball, but OK, he's not one of your favorites. :lol: 

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2024 at 8:21 PM, Traveler Vic said:

After this year what reason does any quality rb , or for that matter a quality free agent has a reason to come here. 

A job in the NFL. One thing the Eagles have shown is they can get top 10 production out of a RB then replace him the following season before he cashes in. They paid Swift $1.7 million this year while the Giants shelled out $10 million for Barkley. The Eagles have no intention of using a high draft pick or paying a premium free agent because they don't need to. 

And why would a premium FA come here in general? Because setting aside this year's collapse - over the long game it's going to be an outlier - they have an elite roster, play in a big, east coast market and have a deep pocketed owner. 

I enjoy Swift and his game, what I don’t like is we also have two other backs that do the same crap. We need a big back that pounds the defense WITH Swift!  I’m talking Henry big!  He doesn’t have to be great he just needs to be good.  I’d also take a Rb that runs angry like  Isaiah Pacheco.  End of day we need a dedicated run pass ratio not a game plan where we just keep passing with sprinkles of run. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

A job in the NFL. One thing the Eagles have shown is they can get top 10 production out of a RB then replace him the following season before he cashes in. They paid Swift $1.7 million this year while the Giants shelled out $10 million for Barkley. The Eagles have no intention of using a high draft pick or paying a premium free agent because they don't need to. 

And why would a premium FA come here in general? Because setting aside this year's collapse - over the long game it's going to be an outlier - they have an elite roster, play in a big, east coast market and have a deep pocketed owner. 

Let's agree to disagree. I see a ship that is taking water..More than 1/2 under water...but not quite sank yet. If what happened last year did not change Teams philosophy...then there will be more pain ahead..until the team does change its philosophy and fixes structural problems on multiple levels. Value of Linebackers, Safeties, and QB development. etc..

Here I’m watching the Detroit Lions just brutalize the 49ers on the ground and it reminds me of how the Eagles used to be able to do this, but now I see  and hear ridiculous comments on how it was impossible to run against the friggin Bucs. No something was wrong with the gameplan, scheme, and preparation. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 6:12 AM, EagleVA said:

One of the biggest failures with the Eagles offense the past 2 seasons has been the running game and it needs to be fixed.

Just like when the Eagles were 10-1 everybody thought juggernaut, likewise, everybody thought the running game was the real deal for the first 4-5 games of the year.

The Eagles fans and FO are enamoured with open field runners with no physically to their game, this is the exact reason why AR never won it all, he made the decision to go with Wussbrook as his lead back......big mistake!!

This year they went with Swift, the turn the other way, turf diving back, pretty much a Miles Sanders clone, not gonna work when you play against the better defenses.

If the Eagles don't draft two physical runners in the upcoming draft don't expect the offense to improve worth a damn.   

We already have all the people in place. We just need to improvise. We convert Jordan Davis into a Fullback and Jordan Mailata into a running back.

If this combination does not soften opposing defense..Nothing will. Remember Refrigerator Perry for Chicago?

On 1/23/2024 at 9:50 AM, Kz! said:

You've spoken highly of him while disparaging Smith and even suggested that we need to devise a gameplan to feed him the ball, but OK, he's not one of your favorites. :lol: 

No, I haven't spoken highly of him, what I did say is the Eagles for the most part only throws to 2 WRs and they need to get others involved.  I also defended him against that outrageous criticism of him for the Dallas game. 

Moreover, concerning Smith, what I said was s he's overrated by Eagles fans.