Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

No fans in Montreal tonight, time to move all teams out of cities that won't let fans in again, this is ridiculous, proof of vaccination should be required and that is it. There will never be a time that in the winter cases do not spike, can't do this forever. Treating the vaxxed and unvaxxed the same just gives the anti vaxxers ammo to say say see vaccines don't work.

It’s amazing the amount of game summaries I see in the NHL where there are no penalties called in the 3rd period 

If the officiating wasn’t so horrible I would try to do a deeper analysis to find causes — but it’s likely they’ve just been told to put the whistles in their pockets.

Looks like the big Flyer fans in here have joined the rest of us.

Anyway, if you want to watch some fun hockey check out the Juniors.  They start today and are up in Canada.  The US is the defending champ and are the #1 seed.

9 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Are they ever going to play again?

We’ll see.  Sucks we have to stay up late to watch but we’ll hopefully see some hockey.

Holy ish!  A PPG!  JVR with a quick shot from the edge of the cirlce off a feed from G with TK providing the traffic in front.

Another 3rd period tie, courtesy of Joel Farabee this time.

Overcame a horrible 2nd period to at least have hope for a point.

Wow, gutsy move by Yeoh to pull the goalie with 17 minutes left in the 3rd to make it a 6-on-3 PP and go for broke.  They were down 4-1 at that point, so I get it.  Definitely an all or nothing move and it worked out almost immediately with Hayes netting one to make it 4-2.

The Flyers have 5 players out on COVID protocol, and the Pens are absolutely eating them alive.  Already down 3-0 after 1 period 

Definitely not worth turning back on.  It’s as bad as you figure it would be.  Down 4-1 in the 3rd and looking hopeless.  Completely outclassed tonight.

• Like 1

It's not just that they're owned by a corporation; it's that they're owned by arguably the most reviled, abusive, and powerful corporation in America. I already had a longstanding hatred for Comcast, but its ownership of the Flyers really makes my skin boil. It would be irksome under any circumstances, but watching them drive the team into the ground while they easily cover their losses through the combination of tickets and concessions at the arena to go on top of NBC's broadcast rights and ad revenue just makes it feel all the more hopeless and frustrating. Even with the team collapsing on the ice, it's going to be a long time before the faceless suits at Comcast feel it in their pocketbooks. I will always root for this franchise as the representative of my native city, but it currently comes with a degree of inner conflict tending on self-loathing. Ownership has neither the expertise nor the emotional investment to get this right. They're a deadly combination of both clueless about running an NHL franchise and detached from the disappointment and embarrassment that comes with losing.

Ed Snider, why hath thou forsaken us?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

It's not just that they're owned by a corporation; it's that they're owned by arguably the most reviled, abusive, and powerful corporation in America. I already had a longstanding hatred for Comcast, but its ownership of the Flyers really makes my skin boil. It would be irksome under any circumstances, but watching them drive the team into the ground while they easily cover their losses through the combination of tickets and concessions at the arena to go on top of NBC's broadcast rights and ad revenue just makes it feel all the more hopeless and frustrating. Even with the team collapsing on the ice, it's going to be a long time before the faceless suits at Comcast feel it in their pocketbooks. I will always root for this franchise as the representative of my native city, but it currently comes with a degree of inner conflict tending on self-loathing. Ownership has neither the expertise nor the emotional investment to get this right. They're a deadly combination of both clueless about running an NHL franchise and detached from the disappointment and embarrassment that comes with losing.

Ed Snider, why hath thou forsaken us?!

Sounds like you've tried to call their customer service department.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I must be taking crazy pills...

Bobby Clarke: 'Flyers paying for Ron Hextall's huge mistakes'

The Philadelphia Flyers are a franchise that seems to be headed in the wrong direction and executive Bobby Clarke is putting the blame on former general manager Ron Hextall.

"He alienated everyone right away," Clarke said of Hextall, who is the current general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins, on the Cam & Strick Podcast. "He shut his door, he locked his doors, he was lost and nobody else was part of it. We get the second pick in the draft and we end up drafting Nolan Patrick. None of our scouts wanted Nolan Patrick. I don't know where Patrick should have gone after his performances...and he's a pretty good player. They wanted [Cale] Makar, of course he went next. Now, he's a superstar and Patrick hasn't played—but Hextall made that choice himself. And there were other choices made in our draft that we're paying for. We've got two or three first round picks that are never going to play. That's why we're struggling, Hexy made some huge mistakes.

Patrick, now 23, was traded to the Predators and then immediately flipped to the Golden Knights last summer. He has been sidelined with multiple injuries, playing just nine games this season.

The host of the podcast also pointed out the Hextall—who was the Flyers' GM to 2014 until November of 2018—gave the Blues Brayden Schenn, as well.

"That was just as bad," Clarke said. "Nobody knew it. Hexy made that on his own. Our scouts were so mad at Hexy for doing that. We also had a chance to get [Ryan] O'Reilly from Buffalo, but we didn't. Obviously, that was the manager's decision. But it was another one that the scouts we're consulted on."

The Flyers are currently 13-15-7 and on their fourth head coach since 2015. They haven't made it past the Eastern Conference semifinals since 2009-10, when they lost to the Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Hextall's Penguins are 20-9-5.

Inviting Clarke back into a position of influence with this franchise was just one of a long list of poor managerial decisions by the current ownership.

23 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I must be taking crazy pills...

Inviting Clarke back into position of influence with this franchise was just one of a long list of poor managerial decisions by the current ownership.

Spicy. Love it.

All that said, Fletcher has been in charge now for years and they’re clearly regressing and directionless.

• Like 1

Nolan Patrick was definitely a mistake waiting to happen.  His injury history was WELL documented, and I remember stating repeatedly on the old forum that this was a major cause for concern in drafting him.  It was a clear error drafting him that high.

That said, Hextall did a lot of excellent things while he was GM as far as shedding dead contracts and clearing cap space.  I think Bobby has an axe to grind here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MIRV Griffen said:

Nolan Patrick was definitely a mistake waiting to happen.  His injury history was WELL documented, and I remember stating repeatedly on the old forum that this was a major cause for concern in drafting him.  It was a clear error drafting him that high.

That said, Hextall did a lot of excellent things while he was GM as far as shedding dead contracts and clearing cap space.  I think Bobby has an axe to grind here.

It’s an odd, pathetic, attempt from the current organization to deflect criticism. 

Hexy had his warts, no doubt about it, but why publicize this now? Who does that benefit?

Flyers are quickly spiraling into a third rate organization. There is a humongous leadership void since Snider passed. As far as I’m concerned, if the Flyers keep making money, Comcrap has no incentive to spend more money to make the major organization house cleaning changes that are needed.

IMO the Flyers and their affiliates need a full reboot.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

It’s an odd, pathetic, attempt from the current organization to deflect criticism. 

Hexy had his warts, no doubt about it, but why publicize this now? Who does that benefit?

Flyers are quickly spiraling into a third rate organization. There is a humongous leadership void since Snider passed. As far as I’m concerned, if the Flyers keep making money, Comcrap has no incentive to spend more money to make the major organization house cleaning changes that are needed.

IMO the Flyers and their affiliates need a full reboot.

Completely correct on all fronts.

• Like 1

Yeah I mean Hextall was great at clearing us from Homer’s cap hell, but his drafts outside of Hart and maybe Farabee were complete and total ish. 

Funny, I turned it on, and they immediately proceeded to score and then tie it up. Still in it...

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Carter Hart

32nd in GAA

21st in Save %

The entire team sucks.  But I’m here to remind everyone how I was right when I said he was overrated 2 seasons ago.  I remember a few posters, one in particular, got all bent that I posted that.  

But he’s still young.  I know.  LOL. 

He's been bad at times, but you have to at least at admit that he's in a terrible situation.