Derrick Gunn Fired by NBC

SBorBust

I’m kind of shocked. 

I guess he cared too much about sports for a modern NBC "sports” network. 

Win or lose, I always enjoyed his postgame interviews with the players. You could tell he cared about them as people. That was pretty cool.

• Like 3

Wow, I'm shocked too, and disappointed. I really liked his stuff and really liked Quick Slants and have been waiting for it to come back on the air. This sucks.

• Like 5

Just now, eglz1 said:

Any idea why? Fired for cause?

I just read that he was laid off, so with layoffs, there's always a possibility of returning. But I also read that they're getting rid of sideline reporters entirely, not just for football but for all sports. 

1 minute ago, eglz1 said:

Any idea why? Fired for cause?

laid off is more the term. They have made many cuts at NBC Sports due to no sports going on right now. Saving money 

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Wow, I'm shocked too, and disappointed. I really liked his stuff and really liked Quick Slants and have been waiting for it to come back on the air. This sucks.

For over a decade, almost everything done by the talking heads has been worthless drivel. D Gunn actually added worthwhile content and he’s gone. So very strange.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I just read that he was laid off, so with layoffs, there's always a possibility of returning. But I also read that they're getting rid of sideline reporters entirely, not just for football but for all sports. 

Just as well. Some postgame interviews are interesting but  IMO sideline reporters are incredibly annoying and the information is largely useless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SBorBust said:

For over a decade, almost everything done by the talking heads has been worthless drivel. D Gunn actually added worthwhile content and he’s gone. So very strange.

Yeah, I normally don't pay attention to any of the talking heads, but I always thought that Gunn was good.

• Like 2

Damn, Gunner is an OG. I've been watching him since he was anchoring SportsRise on the original CSN. This sucks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I watch Quick Slants with D. Gunn and Barrett Brooks almost daily on YouTube. I just checked and the last episode was posted just 5 hours ago by NBC Sports Philadelphia. That’s a shame he’s one of the few good ones. 

Hey, man!  CEOs gotta keep their 7 figure salaries, so with no sports going on as usual the cuts gotta come from somewhere.  The execs can't take a hit.  They got ultra McMansions to pay for along with mistresses and ish.  So the axe drops on the middle level employees.  This is 'Merica afterall and CEOs deserve to make 250-450X what their average employee makes.

I may have been drinking tonight, so I'm not entirely responsible for what I post right now.  However, this is usually how things operate in the corporate world.  And I'd like to add that numbers without context are just numbers so if the corporate bean counters found ways to reduce payroll they failed to take into account how us fans truly appreciate what certain employees do.  Carry on, sober people.  

• Like 2

Hopefully Reuben frank is next, that stupid turd is the absolute worst and it should be him getting kicked to the curb. He's a pompous arsehole.

Hopefully Gunn will be back once sports come back fully 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Agree. I always enjoyed his interviews with the players as they came off the field after a win.

It's an  NBC  Universal decision not  COMCAST  specifically.

EAGLES Postgame Live won't be the same without him.

• Like 3

I hope he joins 97.5 he's great to listen to and the players love him. 

• Like 2

How's Brandon Graham supposed to razz him if he's not around?

• Like 3

@VaBeach_Eagle

Sounds kind of crazy, but what if you hired him to do video segments for the message board? Perhaps have a website side...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

@VaBeach_Eagle

Sounds kind of crazy, but what if you hired him to do video segments for the message board? Perhaps have a website side...

Great idea but I don’t think we’re gonna field source enough cash for him. 

NBC Sports Philadelphia continues to spiral downward. Over the last 2-3 years they have cancelled breakfast on broad and philly sports talk, turned sportsrise from a 30 minute show to 15 minutes, and laid off a lot of quality on air talent. Sad to see what has become of what was once an amazing sports station for the Philly sports fan.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

NBC Sports Philadelphia continues to spiral downward. Over the last 2-3 years they have cancelled breakfast on broad and philly sports talk, turned sportsrise from a 30 minute show to 15 minutes, and laid off a lot of quality on air talent. Sad to see what has become of what was once an amazing sports station for the Philly sports fan.

It's all about the money.  They've been shaving expenses as ratings are diminishing and rights fees increasing.  These regional sports networks live off of the NBA, the NHL and MLB - those prime time weekday games. But when you don't have any content you don't have much revenue. Something has to give.