Guice let loose, didn't produce; Duce got the juice, called him a goose

97is

7 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Guice rumored to have been involved in a verbal altercation with Howie Roseman during his team private visit? Something about him being asked if he was gay and not responding well to the question? That may have been the Combine that year, but I do remember there was something odd going on with Guice in the pre-draft process.

Either way, the Eagles were smart to take Goedert instead of Guice. If it weren't for the fact that the Eagles already have Ertz at TE1, he could easily be putting up strong TE1 numbers of his own.

Umm I would hope they wouldn't ask if he was gay. I would of been pissed too. Pretty sure you can't ask that 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Guice rumored to have been involved in a verbal altercation with Howie Roseman during his team private visit? Something about him being asked if he was gay and not responding well to the question? That may have been the Combine that year, but I do remember there was something odd going on with Guice in the pre-draft process.

Either way, the Eagles were smart to take Goedert instead of Guice. If it weren't for the fact that the Eagles already have Ertz at TE1, he could easily be putting up strong TE1 numbers of his own.

Yeah there were lots of rumors around Guice during the draft.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/4/28/17295690/derrius-guice-eagles-nfl-draft-2018-rumors-tmz-redskins-lsu-running-back-washington-concerns-news-rb

Confession. I too was on that band wagon. But it's cool cuz I'm not on payroll lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Confession. I too was on that band wagon. But it's cool cuz I'm not on payroll lol

I was too until I heard about the interview details. kid had all the tools, just a total headcase

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Umm I would hope they wouldn't ask if he was gay. I would of been pissed too. Pretty sure you can't ask that 

I seem to recall there was a player that accused a team of asking if he was gay years ago. Don't remember who or what team though

Just now, Mike030270 said:

I seem to recall there was a player that accused a team of asking if he was gay years ago. Don't remember who or what team though

I'm sure there was but, I doubt this was the one because that would of made headlines

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sure there was but, I doubt this was the one because that would of made headlines

it did make the news, guice claimed that he was asked about his sexuality and whether or not his mom was a hooker... but the claims were unsubstantiated and according to the NFL (after "investigation") it was proven false.

Honestly, Guice seems unhinged so I wouldnt put it past him to elaborate creatively. I do know they try to throw a lot of things at you during combine interview to get you off your game, and there is a pattern of these questions being asked in the past... by one of our own (Marquand Manuel) #conspiracytheory

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/4/11161854/eli-apple-atlanta-falcons-combine-2016-asked-if-he-likes-men

14 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

it did make the news, guice claimed that he was asked about his sexuality and whether or not his mom was a hooker... but the claims were unsubstantiated and according to the NFL (after "investigation") it was proven false.

Honestly, Guice seems unhinged so I wouldnt put it past him to elaborate creatively. I do know they try to throw a lot of things at you during combine interview to get you off your game, and there is a pattern of these questions being asked in the past... by one of our own (Marquand Manuel) #conspiracytheory

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/4/11161854/eli-apple-atlanta-falcons-combine-2016-asked-if-he-likes-men

What's wrong with asking his moms profession? Word of mouth is great for business. They might need to reopen that business now that he does not have a job. 

35 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

I would hope it was just guice being unhinged. That just doesn't seem like something this team would allow or tolerate. 

I knew it happened to other players but, I read a few articles and none of them stated that's what guice said the confrontation was over with the eagles. Guice actually even said he had a great visit with the eagles and him and duce got along great. 

I remember them talking about that Manuel being a deek. 

Oh well the guy is a clown

On 8/8/2020 at 8:37 AM, RUEagle said:

U guys remember some obscure crap. Lol

I forgot about it as well.  This AM I googled some articles about it and apparently Guice lost it on Duce and Howie.  There were even reports we were thinking of taking him at #32 prior to it.  They said it was the worst player interview they ever were a part of.

Here is a good article from BGN

Closer look at why the Eagles passed twice on Derrius Guice

Strange situation.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Apr 28, 2018, 11:59am EDT  

One of the biggest mysteries of the 2018 NFL Draft is why Derrius Guice fell so much further than he was expected to be selected.

The LSU star didn’t hear his name called until the Washington Redskins picked him No. 59 overall, when five running backs had already gone off the board.

So, what gives?

And why did the Philadelphia Eagles pass on a prospect — not once, but twice — whom they showed so much interest in? Let’s examine.

Heading into this year’s draft, we had heard that the Eagles really liked Guice. Jon Ledyard of NDT Scouting told BGN Radio that Howie Roseman had a first round grade on the LSU runner but didn’t expect him to be at No. 32. Tony Pauline reported that Eagles running back Duce Staley "is a big supporter” of Guice.

It seemed, then, that there was a strong possibility of Guice being the pick at No. 32. But that obviously wasn’t the case. Philly traded out of the first round entirely.

At the time, this didn’t necessarily say as much about Guice as it did the Eagles felt like there were a number of similarly rated prospects on the board. And with Philadelphia really lacking picks, it would’ve been difficult to stay at No. 32.

But then it became clear to me the Eagles just weren’t really into Guice. Before Day 2 started on Friday night, I heard from someone that he wasn’t going to be the pick, even if he fell to No. 52.

Shortly after that, I saw this pop up on Twitter.

Wow on 97.5 Brian Westbrook said the #Eagles didn’t have a great meeting with Derrius Guice. He got in some kind of argument with Howie Roseman and Duce Staley. Yikes

— Jared (@JaredG_13) April 27, 2018

Another Twitter user claimed to hear the same thing, which prompted this story.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_28_at_11.43.19_AM.pn

As Guice continued to fall in the second round, NFL insider Ian Rapoport shared some explanation as to why.

And that prompted Les Bowen to get into more details.

Here’s even more info:

This kind of reminds of the things I heard about Ezekiel Elliott’s pre-draft visit with Philly back in 2016. Apparently he totally bombed that. I wonder if the Eagles tried to push buttons with these prospects to see how they respond to things.

Anyway, back to the Guice timeline. After being passed over by the Eagles twice (No. 32 and No. 49), he eventually went off the board to Washington. Once he was drafted, both head coach Jay Gruden and Guice himself were asked about the rumored conflict with the Eagles. They both denied it.

Guice was asked whether that alleged incident occurred when he visited with the Eagles — and he denied it: "My trip to the Eagles was great. There wasn’t an altercation when I went. It was great. They were also like family. Me and Duce have a great relationship.”

Another interesting note from that Pro Football Weekly article containing Guice’s quote is this anecdote about how the Eagles actually called him when they were on the clock at No. 32.

As the New England Patriots were on the clock Thursday night, the phone rang at the table in the green room where LSU RB Derrius Guice and his assembled camp were sitting. This, they thought, was the call they were waiting for.

On the other end: the Philadelphia Eagles. It appeared that Guice’s wait might end and that he might be the final pick of the first round. This was the player they appeared poised to take at that spot.

The Eagles’ plans changed quickly. A trade offer came in and they moved back to pick up much-needed Day 2 picks, trading with the Baltimore Ravens in the dramatic move up to get Lamar Jackson.

So did the Eagles actually intend to pick Guice before getting that offer? Not everyone is so convinced.

Lawlor’s sentiment echoes what I heard before the second round started last night: the Eagles did not like him.

We’ll eventually see if the Eagles passing on Guice is a mistake. He’s a really talented running back that they’ll now have to face at least twice a year since he landed in the NFC East.

But know this: the Eagles did a ton of homework on this guy. In addition to formally meeting with him at the NFL Combine and bringing him to Philly for a pre-draft visit, they also met with him privately in Louisiana and even put him through a private workout.

Whether they made the right decision or not remains to be seen. What we do know for sure is that their decision was informed.

UPDATE: Eagles comment on the Guice situation.

4 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I was too until I heard about the interview details. kid had all the tools, just a total headcase

Wasn't the first won't be the last

1 hour ago, paco said:

Could not be happier we got him! I wanted him at 13 and to grab him that late is just unbelievable to me. He’s goi g to be a superstar in this league. He’s just as good as Fournette, if not better. We are all in for an awesome next 5-7 years with this guy running the ball for us. He is a savage. I’ve seen a lot of great RBs come through LSU and he’s the best I’ve  seen along with Fournette.

my favorite one on the first page

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Could not be happier we got him! I wanted him at 13 and to grab him that late is just unbelievable to me. He’s goi g to be a superstar in this league. He’s just as good as Fournette, if not better. We are all in for an awesome next 5-7 years with this guy running the ball for us. He is a savage. I’ve seen a lot of great RBs come through LSU and he’s the best I’ve  seen along with Fournette.

my favorite one on the first page

There are some real gems.  A few pages in they convince themselves that the charachter issues that caused him to drop is a hoax drummed up by Howie and the Eagles :rolleyes: :lol:

Guy's got a great smile.  Don't know WTF the Eagles had a problem with.  Hopefully he punishes them 2x a year for not taking him.  

There is one thing that really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth about this ... and that is the actions of the much vaunted Eagles FO and howie Roseman who I think has blood on his hands 

I believe he was at least complicit with the horrific nudge nudge wink wink smear of desean Jackson to get him out of town ... 

and now now his fingers are all over this Guice slide in draft - including even using a call to him / his camp and at the end of the first round to manufacture a trade ... 

its just dispicable if nothing actually comes of this - if there is no TMZ. exclusive and this is Howie playing with young kids lives to make him look good ... and it is more shameful on people (nfl analysts) who gave this story legs by running with rumours .. 

@bedlamVR what actions of the eagles FO? Didn’t howie roseman say that there was NO altercation at all with Guice during the visit? ? I’m confused as to what you’re talking about

It’s nothing conctrete I can pin on them but it is just their involvement and they have form for this kind of thing ...   and these rumours have been around for a long time - to the point he was asked about them at a Texans visit - which really points to the internal nfl rumour mill being involved ....and howie comes out part way through the draft to dismiss these rumours... ... when he knew they have been flying around for weeks and had he wanted he could have dismissed things when they were supposed to have happened ...which would also have given the kid chance to explain himself .... which just gives the story additional exposure  - just seems off .... 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/28/source-altercation-between-eagles-guice-happened-at-scouting-combine/

Thats the earth shattering news lol **** the Eagles this makes me a bigger fan of Guice then I would have been otherwise

Also when some people try to pump the brakes, one dude keeps posting for fans to "grow a pear"

On 8/8/2020 at 2:50 AM, 97is said:

Released from the Redskins after 2 years of knee surgery and an arrest

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29617029/washington-releases-rb-derrius-guice-following-arrest

On 8/8/2020 at 5:21 AM, RUEagle said:

What’s this have to do w Duce?

On 8/8/2020 at 5:24 AM, Walkdawalk said:

Only guess is Duce didnt like Guice and put off the Eagles from drafting him? 

Fixed the title to make it more clear.  :smoke:

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, SBorBust said:

ESPN will spend hours every year telling me the Combine interviews are mean and worthless. Every year, ESPN will be wrong.

Who  or  what  is this  ESPN  you speak of ??

2 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Who  or  what  is this  ESPN  you speak of ??

Imagine being the idiots who named their kids Espn over a decade ago.

5 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Imagine being the idiots who named their kids Espn over a decade ago.

I didn't know such a thing had happened.     :blink:

There's no cure for 'stupid' . . . 

It seems a little unclear whether Duce was against signing him or not,  regardless there were 4 pro bowlers including a couple of first team all pros and defensive rookie of the year taken between 32 and where we picked Goedert so maybe pump the brakes on praising the team's talent evaluation for not drafting someone they liked but flunked the interview spectacularly, yes we didn't take Guice but we didn't take Nick Chubb either, what was Duce's input there?

19 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I came just for the title/description effort.

20 hours ago, Moderator6 said:

Fixed the title to make it more clear.  :smoke:

DevotedLazyArmyworm-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, EaglePhan1986 said:

The Smallwood draft pick ended up being a good one. 

Agreed.  He wasn't a superstar but went out and did his job to the best of his abilities.  Everyone always wants the flashier or faster guy but doesn't mean there isn't room for a guy who tries hard, shows up and does his job.  Hes the leading rusher for the philadelphia eagles under doug pederson for this exact reason.  

2 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

Agreed.  He wasn't a superstar but went out and did his job to the best of his abilities.  Everyone always wants the flashier or faster guy but doesn't mean there isn't room for a guy who tries hard, shows up and does his job.  Hes the leading rusher for the philadelphia eagles under doug pederson for this exact reason.  

What?? Lol what rushing did he lead? 

Hes the leading rusher since pederson took over.  Its not saying alot since doug uses a rbbc, but doesnt change the fact that he has the most rushing yards in this regime.  Also miles sanders will pass him after maybe only a game or 2 but point still remains he has the most rushing yards in the pederson era which is what i said.  In a time where we couldnt count on anyone to stay healthy smallwood did.  Best ability is availability and he was able to be counted on when his number was called.  He can obviously be upgraded upon but he isnt a udfa without the talent or skill to make it in the league.  Hes a blue collar guy and we definitely got value out of a 5th round pick

27 minutes ago, Milkman420 said:

Hes the leading rusher since pederson took over.  Its not saying alot since doug uses a rbbc, but doesnt change the fact that he has the most rushing yards in this regime.  Also miles sanders will pass him after maybe only a game or 2 but point still remains he has the most rushing yards in the pederson era which is what i said.  In a time where we couldnt count on anyone to stay healthy smallwood did.  Best ability is availability and he was able to be counted on when his number was called.  He can obviously be upgraded upon but he isnt a udfa without the talent or skill to make it in the league.  Hes a blue collar guy and we definitely got value out of a 5th round pick

Oh sorry Smallwood had 850 in 3 years compared to miles 810 in one year.