Wentz still throwing high...

Portyansky

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t believe this is as much an issue as Wentz doing things like trying to run over a safety like he thinks he’s a fullback and taking unnecessary hits that ultimately add up. 

I mean ultimately if it means we live for another play then no it isn't a huge issue. But it is when it's a critical moment on a critical down and he has done that before. 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t believe this is as much an issue as Wentz doing things like trying to run over a safety like he thinks he’s a fullback and taking unnecessary hits that ultimately add up. 

Hopefully he'll now have WRs that can create separation and will have more opportunities to unload the ball to minimize having to run and take unnecessary hits.  Regarding the throws, as I stated in another thread, you can acknowledge everything he does extremely well and still recognize that he sails passes a tad too often (most QBs have something they can improve on ... for Wentz it is those throws).  Fortunately they haven't led to many negative plays (INTs), but those misses do attribute to stalled drives.  Quite a few reports from TC indicating he is still sailing throws, but also reported he is working on his mechanics, so hopefully it will settle down once he gets comfortable with whatever changes he is incorporating.  

On 8/26/2020 at 6:49 AM, Saltpeter said:

Such an egocentric thing to say no one is doing something when you're really just talking about yourself and the people you give credence to. Bad receivers, injuries, Flip's exit, even "nerves" and extra weight (heard that on a local media podcast yesterday and literally laughed out loud) have been used to justify Wentz's inaccuracy. Dude's in his 5th year in the league, give me a break.

But perhaps my favorite justification is here in this thread -- folks that acknowledge Wentz's accuracy deficiencies, but say it doesn't matter that much when taking into account Wentz's other skills. It's as if those people are saying that a person who throws a football for a living shouldn't be expected to throw that football accurately. Or, more specifically, they're implying that quarterback athleticism is of near importance to accuracy.

Accuracy deficiencies are a strong choice of words. Yes he on occasion has a bad throw, yes you would think by year 5 he would have sorted it out. If he hasn't you're right, it's probably a good bet that it won't get drastically better but it can still improve. 

They say you can gain arm strength but you rarely ever gain accuracy, it's like speed. 

But to say "he's not who we thought he was" is absurd. What he is, is this: 

• TD/Int ratio since 2017 - 3.86% 5th best in the league
  • 5th best passer rating in NFL history against top 10 defences at 89.7
  • Most wins against 10+ win teams since 2016 - 9, good for 2nd most in the league behind Brady
  • First QB in NFL history to throw for 20+ TD and 7 or few Int in 3 straight seasons
  • Touchdown in 19 straight games, longest streak in the NFL
  • Only QB in NFL history to throw for 4000 yards with no WR over 500 yards
  • Franchise record for most passing TD in a season

There are a few others i'm forgetting, but if the above means that on occasion my QB sails a pass high, meh i'll take it. 

• Like 4

Brief scare at #Eagles camp: Joe Ostman bull rush drives Andre Dillard back into Carson Wentz and the QB is bent back. Crisis averted as Ostman eased up at the end. That’s the good news. Bad news: Dillard still struggling vs. power rushes.

Bigger issue  is how long into the season will it get before Dillard becomes a real problem that could get Carson hurt?

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean ultimately if it means we live for another play then no it isn't a huge issue. But it is when it's a critical moment on a critical down and he has done that before. 

In a critical playoff game and he needs to fight for a yard in the 4th quarter sure, but the first quarter in a game especially early in the season? Bottom line is the Eagles are better with a healthy Carson. They can’t afford to have him take unnecessary hits and shots. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, time2rock said:

Hopefully he'll now have WRs that can create separation and will have more opportunities to unload the ball to minimize having to run and take unnecessary hits.  Regarding the throws, as I stated in another thread, you can acknowledge everything he does extremely well and still recognize that he sails passes a tad too often (most QBs have something they can improve on ... for Wentz it is those throws).  Fortunately they haven't led to many negative plays (INTs), but those misses do attribute to stalled drives.  Quite a few reports from TC indicating he is still sailing throws, but also reported he is working on his mechanics, so hopefully it will settle down once he gets comfortable with whatever changes he is incorporating.  

For a guy with shaky mechanics he doesn’t throw a lot of interceptions, but his height throw to Ertz last season contributed to his rib injury. Overall I still think choices Carson makes with his own body (Holding the all too long causing him to take big shots, trying run guys over, and so on) are far more detrimental, because they could lead to his injury. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

In a critical playoff game and he needs to fight for a yard in the 4th quarter sure, but the first quarter in a game especially early in the season? Bottom line is the Eagles are better with a healthy Carson. They can’t afford to have him take unnecessary hits and shots. 

Oh I'm absolutely not arguing with you bud. All I'm saying is he's sailed pretty straight forward passes at critical moments in games. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 1:59 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's probably trying to figure out how this deep ball thing works again. Having to remind himself what it feels like to throw it so deep. 

It’s been a while since he had guys who could run this fast. 😂

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I'm absolutely not arguing with you bud. All I'm saying is he's sailed pretty straight forward passes at critical moments in games. 

I agree there’s been times he’s thrown it high too. I remember a game where he over threw Jeffery on what would have been a touchdown on a play where Jeffery jumped. It’s an issue, but I don’t think it’s as big as him being smart out there with protecting himself. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s been a while since he had guys who could run this fast. 😂

I agree there’s been times he’s thrown it high too. I remember a game where he over threw Jeffery on what would have been a touchdown on a play where Jeffery jumped. It’s an issue, but I don’t think it’s as big as him being smart out there with protecting himself. 

Yeah he's having to work out how to throw it deep again... 🤣

I can recall a few plays last year where he tossed it way too high on a swing type pass to Sanders and perhaps even Scott.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah he's having to work out how to throw it deep again... 🤣

I can recall a few plays last year where he tossed it way too high on a swing type pass to Sanders and perhaps even Scott.

He threw a swing pass in the flat to Sanders and he somehow waaayyyy overthrew him. It was kind of embarrassing how bad he missed. If he were accurate there Sanders would have had a touchdown, but they had to settle for a filed goal attempt. It does matter for sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

He threw a swing pass in the flat to Sanders and he somehow waaayyyy overthrew him. It was king of embarrassing how bad he missed. If he were accurate there Sanders would have had a touchdown, but they had to settle for a filed goal attempt. It does matter for sure. 

I think he's done it a couple of times at least too...

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think he's done it a couple of times at least too...

I agree it’s a problem, but he’s always been more accurate on the run so I think the Eagles need to find a way to get the pocket moving more often. I wouldn’t mind seeing them playing to this strength of his.  

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

And some of you weren't worried.

His overthrows are an issue that have been compounded by all of his other flaws. He didn’t throw a lot of interceptions last season despite his inaccuracies, but if he stays this course he’s going to be in Jameis Winston territory. I wasn’t as concerened as long as Carson cleaned up his other flaws. He’s completely failed to do so. Carson Wentz is a very serious issue right now. 

• Like 3

On 8/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, Saltpeter said:

The mental gymnastics folks go through to justify Wentz's accuracy issues is laughable at this point. Dude flat out just needs to fix it, end of discussion. If not, he's not who you think he is.

He does miss some routine throws, but he's a career 64% passer until the first two games this year. He isn't Tom Brady, but let's not act as though he's Tim Tebow, either.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

He does miss some routine throws, but he's a career 64% passer until the first two games this year. He isn't Tom Brady, but let's not act as though he's Tim Tebow, either.

If he doesn't correct his issues, he's going down that path.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 11:51 PM, EazyEaglez said:
Brief scare at #Eagles camp: Joe Ostman bull rush drives Andre Dillard back into Carson Wentz and the QB is bent back. Crisis averted as Ostman eased up at the end. That’s the good news. Bad news: Dillard still struggling vs. power rushes.

Bigger issue  is how long into the season will it get before Dillard becomes a real problem that could get Carson hurt?

The first time he plays a power rusher.