Ted Lasso

Green_Guinness

Just found this show.  It's about an older woman who gets her husband's football club in the divorce.  She fires the current coach hires Ted Lasso (Jason Sudeikis), an American coach who took a D2 football program to a championship in his first season.  He knows absolutely nothing about soccer.  He's the type of coach where it's more about the psychology than the Xs and Os and he always finds a way to put a positive spin on any situation.  It's kind of a lighthearted yet very funny show so far.  After binge watching shows having to do with crime/drama this was pretty much the change of pace I needed.  S1 has 10 episodes, though so far only 4 have been released.  You don't have to have an understanding of soccer, but it helps, as does having some sense of UK humour.  I breezed through the first 4 episodes and am a little bummed I can't binge all 10 and have to wait for other 6 to drop.  Only half hour episodes.  The show has already been picked up for a 2nd season.  

From the previews, I thought it looked terrible

It started as the character for NBC Sports promos for the EPL matches they'd broadcast in the US.  This version of Ted Lasso is more exaggerated than in the show.  And in the show he's not the manager of Tottenham, but for AFC Richmond.  Guessing that's a fictional club since they're not in any of the country's top 5 leagues, but in the show they are in the EPL and trying to keep from getting relegated to the next lower division.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Just found this show.  It's about an older woman who gets her husband's football club in the divorce.  She fires the current coach hires Ted Lasso (Jason Sudeikis), an American coach who took a D2 football program to a championship in his first season.  He knows absolutely nothing about soccer.  He's the type of coach where it's more about the psychology than the Xs and Os and he always finds a way to put a positive spin on any situation.  It's kind of a lighthearted yet very funny show so far.  After binge watching shows having to do with crime/drama this was pretty much the change of pace I needed.  S1 has 10 episodes, though so far only 4 have been released.  You don't have to have an understanding of soccer, but it helps, as does having some sense of UK humour.  I breezed through the first 4 episodes and am a little bummed I can't binge all 10 and have to wait for other 6 to drop.  Only half hour episodes.  The show has already been picked up for a 2nd season.  

So it's a passive aggressive Brett Brown docu-series?  

• Haha 4

• 10 months later...

I'm through 8 episodes of this - absolutely love it.  Glad I waited until now to watch, as season 2 drops this Friday I believe.  

• Like 3

yep after binging through season 1 needing to wait every week during season 2 is going to suck... really great writing though. 

• Like 3

On 8/24/2020 at 4:59 AM, paco said:

Wifey's sister is now strongly recommending it which means I may be forced to watch this which means I may end up eating my words which means you can all mock me relentlessly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paco said:

Wifey's sister is now strongly recommending it which means I may be forced to watch this which means I may end up eating my words which means you can all mock me relentlessly.  

Done!

• Like 1

Juno Temple, in a show filled with unexpectedly likeable characters, still manages to steal the show.

14 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I'm through 8 episodes of this - absolutely love it.  Glad I waited until now to watch, as season 2 drops this Friday I believe.  

Think I'm going to have to binge S1 again before starting S2.  Can easily watch 4-5 episodes at once. 

• Like 1

I finished tonight - can’t wait for season 2.  Hard to pick a favorite character but I think I’m gonna go with Coach Beard - he’s fantastic 

On 8/24/2020 at 3:59 AM, paco said:

I had the same thought

Finished binge watching the last few episodes of S1 and just watched E1 of S2.  IMO, S1 E8 was the best episode so far. 

On to the opening of S2.  It was good and sticking to the same formula that worked in S1.  A couple LOL moments:

Spoiler

"He's Dutch".

"Would you top off my Rose', please, Janice".

Nothing 'in to touch' for E1, but as S1 got more juice towards the end I expect something similar from S2.

Went back and watched season 1 with my wife before starting season 2. Finished season 1 last night, then watched ep.1 of season 2 which, in hindsight, was a mistake. Season 1 finished so strong, on such an emotional note, that the 1st episode of season 2 was a disappointing letdown. I know that they’re setting up the season, and that it’s likely to get better, but having waited months for it, it just felt forced and underwhelming.  And continuing some of the same jokes from season 1, like Roy constantly cussing in front of his niece, they feel stale now. It was funny on the rare occasion that it happened last season, but now it’s getting to the point where he almost sounds like he has Tourette’s.  The sports psychologist was a nice, if initially awkward, addition though. She plays the part well.

Second episode was better than the season opener.  They're setting up some interesting interactions between certain characters.  Hopefully it keeps rolling like it did in Season 1.

E3 I thought was really good.  I thought the interaction between Rebecca and her goddaughter was enjoyable and funny at times.  Jamie working trying to win his teammates back after being such a prat before had it's moments.  Trying to figure out what they plan to do with the Sassy character.  Is it a cameo sprinkled in now and then throughout the season or will they fade her out since it looks like her and Ted's encounter was just a one time thing? 

Yeah, it’s found it’s legs again with the last couple of episodes.  This one was pretty funny. I would love to watch a sports show like Gillette Soccer Saturday.

• Like 1

Clearly they're on a different time table so way early for an xmas episode, but this one was fun as F.  And pretty much nothing to do with soccer.  Just human interactions, mostly humourous, but also down to Earth with some heart and soul moments.  Was not expecting this, but well done.

So this show is in a different multiverse, right? Zero mention of COVID by anyone and full stadiums but Jamie wants to buy the entire team PS5s, so we have to be December 2020 at a minimum. 

Funny, if a bit cheesy, episode. I hate that Roy is leaving Gillette Soccer Saturday though. Those segments were usually hysterical.

9 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Funny, if a bit cheesy, episode. I hate that Roy is leaving Gillette Soccer Saturday though. Those segments were usually hysterical.

Is that the same medication that made you piss your pants?

7 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Is that the same medication that made you piss your pants?

The best was a couple of episodes ago:

Roy: "Jamie Tartt is a muppet. And I hope he dies of the incurable condition of being a little ****."
Chris Kamara: "Don't hold back, Roy."
George: "Yeah, come on, tell us how you really feel."
Roy: "Okay, you're a crap manager, and you’ve always been a crap manager." 
George: ‘’Not about me ya ****!’’
:roll: 
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Did not see that Bantr twist coming.

Homie was pining in season 1!