Dillard out for season with torn bicep

Portyansky

Article just out from NBC sports Philly I think.  Our bench has a total of 3 career SNAPS at O line.  You can't get more green than that and there's no real off season or pre season for the younger players to maximize development.  I'd expect a vet OG in here within 48-72 hours.

23 minutes ago, weko said:

Article just out from NBC sports Philly I think.  Our bench has a total of 3 career SNAPS at O line.  You can't get more green than that and there's no real off season or pre season for the younger players to maximize development.  I'd expect a vet OG in here within 48-72 hours.

You can get a 30 yr old journeyman in here who has played in all kinds of schemes and get him up to speed in no time.  Howie can take his time scouring rosters and pluck one on final countdown day by FA or trade.  Let the young guys take the limited reps they have in TC cuz we will prolly need them too at some point.

Too bad for Dillard. He wasn't having a great training camp. That's tough for him.. So, next year he'll be into his 3rd season, without much playing time... That's not good. As for JP, it seems like trying to learn a new position at RG was not easy. So depth OT or Guard needed. But not many out there.. The last release OT Casey Tucker never played for the Lions and was in their practice squad?. A real veteran needed? As the rest of the backups are more or less rookies?

Rumor has it that Jason Peters got bored during the covid lockdown and took up a craft to help him overcome the competition in training camp to get his old job back....

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 12.03.20 AM.png

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

You mean since the playoff loss to Seattle where he played every offensive snap or the 4 previous games where he played all but 3 snaps? Nobody on the Eagles has played a full game since then and they are all a year older!!!

LT is a very physical position. JP is 38 years old and he moved to a guard for a reason. Despite his undeniable previous successes , it is hard to face the best opposing team's rusher time after time, especially when you are about to turn 39. 

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Why so?

Dillard was unproven and for a 1st round pick I wasn't impressed in the least.

So who will play LT? Other than forcing JP to play LT...we have no backups ready to step in. The depth of the backups on OL worries me. 

3 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

LT is a very physical position. JP is 38 years old and he moved to a guard for a reason. Despite his undeniable previous successes , it is hard to face the best opposing team's rusher time after time, especially when you are about to turn 39. 

I'm pretty sure Peters knows what to expect at LT. The reasons he was moved to guard were because we had a bigger need there, the Eagles like Peters, and Peters knows the offense and the guys he's playing with. Now he steps into LT instead and we instantly know what we have there. Maybe his accolade days are over as a player, but he's still better than 20 NFL starting LTs. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm pretty sure Peters knows what to expect at LT. The reasons he was moved to guard were because we had a bigger need there, the Eagles like Peters, and Peters knows the offense and the guys he's playing with. Now he steps into LT instead and we instantly know what we have there. Maybe his accolade days are over as a player, but he's still better than 20 NFL starting LTs. 

The problem isn't trying to figure out who to move into Dillard's spot ... that is obvious (JP).  The problem is trying to figure out who to spell JP as needed (since it is a pretty safe assumption he will miss some time here and there - he hasn't played a full season since 2016).  I don't think JP needs a ton of reps these last couple weeks of TC - he knows the position/offense as well as anyone.  I'd split the reps between Mailata and Wanogho to see who emerges as the better option to serve as LT2.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

You can get a 30 yr old journeyman in here who has played in all kinds of schemes and get him up to speed in no time.  Howie can take his time scouring rosters and pluck one on final countdown day by FA or trade.  Let the young guys take the limited reps they have in TC cuz we will prolly need them too at some point.

No doubt you can get a vet body in here at final cut downs.  I'd rather try and shake loose a good one that fits our scheme and culture if possible and would gladly spend a 5th or 6th round pick. If there are decent options available for trade, another team could beat us to them if we wait.  Can't think of a better way to spend mid to late round draft capital than to fortify the bench with the first O lineman off it.

Keep Peters at RG.  Let the young players compete for the LT job.  Bring in a vet LT to be the back-up if a decent one is available.  Peters is the fall-back LT.  The young players need the game experience to develop.  One has to establish as starter this or next season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Keep Peters at RG.  Let the young players compete for the LT job.  Bring in a vet LT to be the back-up if a decent one is available.  Peters is the fall-back LT.  The young players need the game experience to develop.  One has to establish as starter this or next season.

The pass rushing RDEs in this league are scary good.  One bad blind side hit and the season could be over.  You're only as good as your franchise QB in this league.  Have to protect him.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, weko said:

The pass rushing RDEs in this league are scary good.  One bad blind side hit and the season could be over.  You're only as good as your franchise QB in this league.  Have to protect him.

Any pee wee coach knows that if you can put your weak link at RG, that's what you do.

1 hour ago, Penn7980 said:

I'd rather JP play at his natural position. He's their best available option at this point.

• Like 1

Thus ends the Andre Dillard experiment. He was getting pushed around in camp by guys like Ostman and Toohill. Some guys are just dogs, some aren't. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Eagles draft another T within the first two rounds in 2021. Hopefully they are able to sign or trade for a decent veteran swing tackle to sure up the depth. Otherwise this is an upgrade with JP back at LT and Pryor in the lineup over the tin man.

14 hours ago, weko said:

Id actually rather see a OT come in to play LT and leave Peters in at RG with Pryor as the backup. Then if that OT or Lane goes down, you can then do your backup play of Peters moving back outside. Cordy Glenn would be my first call. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

So who will play LT? Other than forcing JP to play LT...

Don't know but I'm sure whoever they plug in will do as well as Dillard.

He was playing through a shoulder injury and tore his bicep.....for anyone that doesn’t know anatomy thats probably related.  Didn’t we fire all the medical staff again?  This shouldn’t be happening time after time.  

53 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Dr. David Chao, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who previously worked in the NFL for more than 17 years, believes there is a really good chance Dillard will be able to play later in the season.  

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/08/eagles-andre-dillard-injury-recovery-timeline/

See and that's where things get scetchy with alshon. They can only designate 2 players to bring back from IR . So if they designate Alshon to IR to comeback and someone else gets hurt and a big piece of the team you are going to have to either out someone permanently on IR or cut one of them 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Dr. David Chao, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who previously worked in the NFL for more than 17 years, believes there is a really good chance Dillard will be able to play later in the season.  

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/08/eagles-andre-dillard-injury-recovery-timeline/

Any chance Dallas might agree to play him at LT?

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

See and that's where things get scetchy with alshon. They can only designate 2 players to bring back from IR . So if they designate Alshon to IR to comeback and someone else gets hurt and a big piece of the team you are going to have to either out someone permanently on IR or cut one of them 

Are those rules different this year due to COVID (with regard to the number of players allowed to return from IR)?