Think About How Stupid This LT Situation Is

Runtherock

1.  Peters grades out well last season.

2.  Nevertheless, Eagles decide to give the job this season to a player not as good as Peters, and maybe not good at all. 

3. The designated replacement for Peters gets injured, out for the season.

4.  Rather than give LT back to the guy who graded out well and is by far the best LT on the roster, the team is thinking about giving the job to an unproven backup—-because of money, because Peters wants to be paid like a tackle if he’s asked to play tackle.

5. When you have an oft injured franchise quarterback who suffered a serious concussion last season.

Think about it. Absolute insanity.

• Like 2

Peters "graded out well" is the whole basis for the argument? He has been in and out of games for injuries most of the past 2-3 years. He's 38 years old and will be 39 in January. Do you just continue to re-sign him and cross your fingers every year? No. The correct move is to groom a younger LT which is what they did and are still doing. Any team would've done the same thing. I don't understand this mindset of resigning vets into their late 30's pushing 40 years old until they literally are so broken down they retire or are in a full body cast. If he graded out so well how come 31 other teams didn't give him a contract in FA?

• Like 9

3 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

Peters "graded out well" is the whole basis for the argument? He has been in and out of games for injuries most of the past 2-3 years. He's 38 years old and will be 39 in January. Do you just continue to re-sign him and cross your fingers every year? No. The correct move is to groom a younger LT which is what they did and are still doing. Any team would've done the same thing. I don't understand this mindset of resigning vets into their late 30's pushing 40 years old until they literally are so broken down they retire or are in a full body cast. If he graded out so well how come 31 other teams didn't give him a contract in FA?

What’s the better alternative at this point? No off season program, limited camp.  Mailata?  JP is the best OL in Eagles history.  He’s the best bet going forward.

They need to find a long term solution to the spot. We have enough young guys to try out there and if they feel it won't get Carson killed they need to go that route.

6 hours ago, Runtherock said:

2.  Nevertheless, Eagles decide to give the job this season to a player not as good as Peters, and maybe not good at all. 

4.  Rather than give LT back to the guy who graded out well and is by far the best LT on the roster, the team is thinking about giving the job to an unproven backup—-because of money, because Peters wants to be paid like a tackle if he’s asked to play tackle.

5. When you have an oft injured franchise quarterback who suffered a serious concussion last season.

You want to complain because you were spoiled for so long at LT and having a top Oline. Guess what, more then half the teams in the NFL have a worse oline and just as bad situation at LT. Its not as bad as people think. 

When Peters went out in 2017 and Big V came in people said we were screwed. Well guess what, Big V did well after he came in sync with the rest of the oline. Thats what it is all about. Being one with the entire line and scheme. The key is Doug needs to make a decision now and stick with it to get them all in sync. If your moving guys each week cause they have a bad game your only hurting the team and progression. 

Me personally, Id like to see these young guys get a shot and keep Peters at RG. If not then sign Cordy Glenn to play LT if he will take a cheap deal then your right in the same situation with backups growing. 

But in the end, we are spoiled and now we are just in a similar situation as the rest of the NFL teams with our Oline. Honestly I think we still have a better oline then most with a solid 3 in Kelce, Jason and Lane. Even Isaac is a nice player. 

• Like 2

How far down will Howie take this team with his bad contracts, bad trades, and bad drafts before Lurie says enough is enough? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

How far down will Howie take this team with his bad contracts, bad trades, and bad drafts before Lurie says enough is enough? 

I think it would take a stretch of 2-3 years of not making playoffs. Doug is saving Howie's arse at this point with making the playoffs with all these busts and poor contracts on guys not performing and despite all the injuries. 

• Like 1

They gave the job to Dillard because he was a 1st round pick and Peters is 38.  That's the politics of drafting position.  Too bad they never met with Dillard before the draft.  Curious they didn't with all the time they had and staff devoted solely to that job.  The big problem is the lack of investment in the Oline, the most important unit on a football team.  We spent the last pick of the 6th round on Pryor, which makes him actually a late 7th round pick with all the comp picks, and a 7th rounder on rugby, which is really a 9th round pick.  I like Driscoll in the 4th and Prince in the 6th/7th too.  Howie has swung and missed on many early to mid round picks in 17 & 19 and traded others for rentals and Avery who doesn't have a position to play.  He has given Stoutland scraps to work with.  You can develop 4th & 5th round picks, 2nd & 3rd quickly,  but we haven't spent one on Oline except for Dillard and he looking quite busty at the moment.

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think it would take a stretch of 2-3 years of not making playoffs. Doug is saving Howie's arse at this point with making the playoffs with all these busts and poor contracts on guys not performing and despite all the injuries. 

Honestly I think Doug would get fired before Howie would despite failing to give Doug everything he needs to be successful. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly I think Doug would get fired before Howie would despite failing to give Doug everything he needs to be successful. 

Well you have me at least turning against Howie but, you will never turn me on Doug!! I love Doug!!

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

This team is not that much different then the 2017 SB team. On paper this team is better, but thats when your HC and assistant coaches come in as a main factor. 

Fans always get so butthurt reading these articles before the start of the season. The writers are wording the titles to get a rise out of their readers. 

THIS is nothing more than business as usual. The Eagles and Peters stayed in touch all offseason. Peters preferred to stay an Eagle, but wanted to play. The Eagles wanted to let the market decide Peters' value. Peters is the type of FA that wasn't likely to be signed until the beginning of the season was near (because he's older, experienced, and you know what you get). Then the injury to Brooks happened and the Eagles felt Peters could step in there and fill in nicely. The two sides worked out an agreement to move Peters inside to RG and included incentives on his contract relating to that move. Now the Eagles may be asking him to shift back to LT and Peters would like to make sure his deal covers that request. Sometimes players approach the team to renegotiate a contract. Sometimes the team approaches a player.

Why is this all of a sudden so "shocking?"

• Like 1

Remember: They initially gave the left tackle job to a player not as good as Jason Peters for reasons having nothing to do with on-field performance. Start with that. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Runtherock said:

Remember: They initially gave the left tackle job to a player not as good as Jason Peters for reasons having nothing to do with on-field performance. Start with that. 

Remember: When Peters went out in the beginning of the season for 2 games last year Dillard came in and we didnt notice Peters was missing. End with that. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The division sucked last year and we squeaked in

Just now, Mike030270 said:

The division sucked last year and we squeaked in

Still made the playoffs and we sucked too so that makes us suck slightly less. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

If Peters wants more money it should be 100% tied to snaps played.He should also give money back for drive killing false starts.

Don't you know Howie rather watch his 30 million dollar QB get killed then pay JP a few more million? Makes total sense when you think about it 🙄

11 hours ago, Runtherock said:

I think it’s a bush league move by Peters. He tested the FA market and had little to no interest. He signed with the Eagles to be a starter. It’s not like the contract was agreed upon 3 years ago and he outplayed it. HE JUST SIGNED IT. I don’t hear backup QB’s asking for more money when the starter goes down. You sign a contract to play football, not a specific position, now live up to it. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't you know Howie rather watch his 30 million dollar QB get killed then pay JP a few more million? Makes total sense when you think about it 🙄

I love what Peters has done for the Eagles but he’s not that good anymore. Case and point, he was still a free agent in the late summer. I guess the rest of the league didn’t see much left in his tank since no one signed him. 

Just now, Road to Victory said:

I love what Peters has done for the Eagles but he’s not that good anymore. Case and point, he was still a free agent in the late summer. I guess the rest of the league didn’t see much left in his tank since no one signed him. 

Agreed. I was just being snarky since someone suggested that they rather not pay Peters a few million more and let the 30 million dollar QB get killed. That doesn't even make sense obviously Peters isn't the better option at LT at this point and they do need to find the future

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

This team is not that much different then the 2017 SB team. On paper this team is better, but thats when your HC and assistant coaches come in as a main factor. 

This team is much different from 2017. The defense is not as good and they’re relying on a lot of young receivers. The line is a mess and there’s no backup QB on this team I trust to take over if Wentz goes down. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well you have me at least turning against Howie but, you will never turn me on Doug!! I love Doug!!

I’m not turning Doug! Team DP all the way! 😂

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

If Peters wants more money it should be 100% tied to snaps played.He should also give money back for drive killing false starts.

I don’t agree with the second part of you statement, but I don’t see why they can’t just throw some type incentive based contract at him and get it over with. 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

This team is much different from 2017. The defense is not as good and they’re relying on a lot of young receivers. The line is a mess and there’s no backup QB on this team I trust to take over if Wentz goes down. 

I’m not turning Doug! Team DP all the way! 😂

Our defense is actually better this year. With slay and Hargrave and Jackson. The only reason our defense was good that year was because we had the number one offense in the league thanks to a great scheme they are. A great offense is the best defense and 2017 proved that. Hell every year Jim Schwartz teams with a top three offense he had a top 5 defense. Every other year he was mid-level

We have one good wide receiver that year in Jeffrey. Who is still on the team along with now DeSean Jackson and Goedert, Reagor.  This team is actually better on paper then 2017. The difference was coaching and that the team played as a team not as individuals.

2 hours ago, Runtherock said:

There's one big reason why the Eagles don't have the best player in the NFL at each position on the team. It's called a salary cap. Sometimes you have to move on from a veteran player in favor of a recent draft pick playing on a rookie contract. I agree that Dillard isn't yet as good a LT as Peters is currently, but it's no secret Peters is approaching the end of his career and Dillard should be expected to improve more and more for several years and provide steady play for many years after that. You have to factor in all those things when building a football team. 

These "reasons" --- are they foreign to you?