Think About How Stupid This LT Situation Is

Runtherock

53 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Our defense is actually better this year. With slay and Hargrave and Jackson. The only reason our defense was good that year was because we had the number one offense in the league thanks to a great scheme they are. A great offense is the best defense and 2017 proved that. Hell every year Jim Schwartz teams with a top three offense he had a top 5 defense. Every other year he was mid-level

We have one good wide receiver that year in Jeffrey. Who is still on the team along with now DeSean Jackson and Goedert, Reagor.  This team is actually better on paper then 2017. The difference was coaching and that the team played as a team not as individuals.

The linebackers are much worse. The safeties are a question mark. Maddox could be a liability. Still little to no outside pass rush. Hargrove is already hurt. 2017 was a top 5 defense. These guys haven’t even taken a snap yet. I’m not ready to call them better. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Still made the playoffs and we sucked too so that makes us suck slightly less. 

Tallest midget

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

The linebackers are much worse. The safeties are a question mark. Maddox could be a liability. Still little to no outside pass rush. Hargrove is already hurt. 2017 was a top 5 defense. These guys haven’t even taken a snap yet. I’m not ready to call them better. 

Meh we have never had great linebackers at this point for me it's a forgotten position just like it is for the eagles lol . I think the secondary will be improved they added 2 legit corners and they can't have great players at every position back there. Mills is where he belongs Maddox can be ok and McLeod has been solid. With the other 2 additions I think they are already better then they have been the last 3 years. 

Well the internal tryouts for Tackle need to happen before the decision is made on the starting LT for the season, regardless of - the non decision yet on who the starter will be at LT. This gives the Eagles a chance to see who can play with the players they have now, who know the scheme and have been here since last year, so they can do their due-diligence.  I know it's a one day's internal tryout, but LT Pryor and RT Mailata. were lined up at practice at the Linc today (and at least the last 2 days) as Johnson is still day to day, and Pryor did not have a good day there - Sweat,  got  3 or 4 sacks against him. I think they'll agree a revised deal for JP if/when  - they move him to LT ( higher salary and higher snap incentives). As far as free- agents, yes they could get a free agent Tackle -  who will take some time to get up to speed, with no pre-season, and 2 weeks to the season opener . The Eagles have likely already contacted available free- eagles for Tackle and Guard to see if there is a fit in both scheme and salary.

I think the starters for the season will be - left to right  -  JP, Seumalo, Kelce, Pryor, Johnson. I think they might sign a free agent T/G  next week who is versatile as cover to start learning the scheme, once they make the decision as to who the internal LT will be. The others Mailata, Herbig maybe Opeta, and the two rookies would be the backups, but not necessarily as 1st reserve Tackle off the bench. They should sign a free agent - but I don't think that they sign a free agent T/G to be the starter from  day 1.

8 hours ago, thedanone82 said:

They need to find a long term solution to the spot. We have enough young guys to try out there and if they feel it won't get Carson killed they need to go that route.

They blew a first round pick trying to find one. Will he be? No idea, but it won't happen this year. 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:37 AM, Hawkeye said:

What’s the better alternative at this point? No off season program, limited camp.  Mailata?  JP is the best OL in Eagles history.  He’s the best bet going forward.

I don't think there is any doubt JP is the best bet going forward.  I think the bigger issue is having the follow up plan identified ... who will spell JP when he misses time (I think it is a given considering his recent injury history).  They need to figure out what the best OL alignment is when JP is also off the field.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh we have never had great linebackers at this point for me it's a forgotten position just like it is for the eagles lol . I think the secondary will be improved they added 2 legit corners and they can't have great players at every position back there. Mills is where he belongs Maddox can be ok and McLeod has been solid. With the other 2 additions I think they are already better then they have been the last 3 years. 

I still don’t see how this group gets to the QB. 2017 put a lot of pressure on quarterbacks. I guess we will see though. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I still don’t see how this group gets to the QB. 2017 put a lot of pressure on quarterbacks. I guess we will see though. 

They still seems elite at the DT position 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They still seems elite at the DT position 

Lots of talent, but if Cox goes down that’s a major concern.

We probably won't see it until Hargrave returns, but there is talk about using Jackson at DE as well as DT. Graham would benefit a lot by improved DT play and Sweat, if his knee holds up, should have his best year yet. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with the team looking at what else they have at LT? That's taking a long term view and may not be able money. 

If Pryor plays there and holds himself well then we have a player who can fill in at multiple spots. If Mailata can show something then perhaps he can be the long term back up at LT? 

We know Peters is in the latter years of his career. We also know he often gets injured and misses snaps so we need a back up. We also know this is probably Peters last year with the team and so long term we need options and we need to know what we have. 

17 hours ago, weko said:

Pryor got destroyed today at practice at LT.  Have to pay Peters.

Ugh....

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the team looking at what else they have at LT? That's taking a long term view and may not be able money. 

If Pryor plays there and holds himself well then we have a player who can fill in at multiple spots. If Mailata can show something then perhaps he can be the long term back up at LT? 

We know Peters is in the latter years of his career. We also know he often gets injured and misses snaps so we need a back up. We also know this is probably Peters last year with the team and so long term we need options and we need to know what we have. 

If they’re not going to let Peters do it then the only good option IMO is to move Lane over. 

57 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If they’re not going to let Peters do it then the only good option IMO is to move Lane over. 

I think right now they just want to see what they have. They know Peters can do it but if Peters is to move back then they also need to understand what their options are behind him. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think right now they just want to see what they have. They know Peters can do it but if Peters is to move back then they also need to understand what their options are behind him. 

Not much else. If they play this game too long They might end up getting Carson hurt. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not much else. If they play this game too long They might end up getting Carson hurt. 

No but what I'm saying is they need to know who could potentially step in when Peters goes down. 

50 minutes ago, downundermike said:

image.png.7fb60f87ac1e6b012e318c9fd8ccc9fc.png

Which just goes to prove yet again how clueless most WIP listeners are. Not their money. Best LT on the team. They want to win, presumably, and would prefer that their franchise quarterback not be broken in two or receive a career ending concussion—-but don’t pay him. Brilliant.

Just now, Runtherock said:

Which just goes to prove yet again how clueless most WIP listeners are. Not their money. Best LT on the team. They want to win, presumably, and would prefer that their franchise quarterback not be broken in two or receive a career ending concussion—-but don’t pay him. Brilliant.

His contract is acceptable, considering all the snaps he is going to miss this year.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:37 AM, Hawkeye said:

What’s the better alternative at this point? No off season program, limited camp.  Mailata?  JP is the best OL in Eagles history.  He’s the best bet going forward.

Riley Reiff is about to be cut

Just stick a body in at LT and gear the offense to Wentz getting the ball out quick and moving out of the pocket, we had Peters there last year and Wentz had too many snaps where he held the ball too long stock still in the pocket (either by design or lack of receivers), that's the issue, not lacking an all pro at left tackle.

Genuinely don't know why they've kept Mailata on the team the last 3 years if he can't get a shot now.

17 hours ago, Runtherock said:

They are cap strapped as it is. They CAN’T pay him more. 

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Just stick a body in at LT and gear the offense to Wentz getting the ball out quick and moving out of the pocket, we had Peters there last year and Wentz had too many snaps where he held the ball too long stock still in the pocket (either by design or lack of receivers), that's the issue, not lacking an all pro at left tackle.

Genuinely don't know why they've kept Mailata on the team the last 3 years if he can't get a shot now.

He's been kept because he was a draft pick and also because there is a  lot of ego invested in him being a late round success.  He's gotten a shot.  The beat writer said he's not good at left tackle but even worse on the right side, which i find curious.  He should be better on the right side.  From everything read the kid just can't play.  No surprise as he never played the game before.  It's one thing to try him at DT. Quite another to place him at OT.  Olinemen in this league need at least a 97% success rate pass blocking to play.  That's where the QB doesn't get sacked by his DE on the play.  Doesn't account for hurries or near sacks.  Mailata isn't anywhere near the ball park on these numbers.  It would make much more sense to play him at OG.  I've been saying it since he was drafted.  He would dominate the DTs across from him and would be in a confined space.  Wouldn't have to try and block NBA type forwards out in space.  That or you try him at DT, where if he gets to the QB 1 in 20 times he's a star.  OT requires near perfection.  It was never realistic to expect that from him.  You start him there initially so he learns all the advanced blocking techniques and also to see if you somehow got lucky and he could make the transition.  But after a brief time at OT they should have moved him to OG.  That's the only place he can possibly play on the O line.  If we cut him i expect the Steelers will claim him and move him to OG or DT.

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Just stick a body in at LT

They can call me. I think the Eagles still have my number. I mean I was a safety. But hey Im still pretty fast with my 5'11 180 pound frame. I can be that little fly around the DE that just bugs the crap out of him. :)