Sacks > Pressure.

EazyEaglez

Can we put that argument to bed now? How many times did we see the Eagles at like 3rd and forever today? Two fumbles by the Quarterback today. The Eagles lost more yards today in sacks than they gained in rush yardage. Wentz was completely rattled after getting hit so much. Meanwhile Haskins looked better as the game went on, because almost getting to the quarterback isn’t nearly as good as hitting him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

090914_Signals_promo.png

You would think so. Just like using early round picks on players that could actually start for the team other than on backups would be obvious too. Nevertheless that concept is lost on some people. 

35 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

090914_Signals_promo.png

You might think so, but the Eagles spin for years has been that pressure is more important and that sacks are an antiquated stat.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Can we put that argument to bed now? How many times did we see the Eagles at like 3rd and forever today? Two fumbles by the Quarterback today. The Eagles lost more yards today in sacks than they gained in rush yardage. Wentz was completely rattled after getting hit so much. Meanwhile Haskins looked better as the game went on, because almost getting to the quarterback isn’t nearly as good as hitting him. 

Completely agreed...

Graham is overpaid, Jackson is overpaid and mediocre. Waste of money on those 2

4 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Graham is overpaid, Jackson is overpaid and mediocre. Waste of money on those 2

I hope they don't add Ertz to that group too. Dude is solid but nowhere near Kittle, Higbee or some of the really good route running/blocking TEs.

• Like 3

Just now, Madriver said:

I hope they don't add Ertz to that group too. Dude is solid but nowhere near Kittle, Higbee or some of the really good route running/blocking TEs.

I doubt it. After he got into an argument with Howie in front of the team, he sealed his fate. Goedert is a beast and a way better blocker then Ertz. Better yac too

15 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Graham is overpaid

I disagree with this. Sure, I wish he'd lead the league in sacks, but he's also one of the better run defenders at DE in the NFL. There are a lot of things he does as a player and teammate that fans don't seem to appreciate. 

• Like 1

Just now, brkmsn said:

I disagree with this. Sure, I wish he'd lead the league in sacks, but he's also one of the better run defenders at DE in the NFL. There are a lot of things he does as a player and teammate that fans don't seem to appreciate. 

He's overpaid. DE get paid mostly on their abilities to rush the qb. He gets plenty of pressures but little amount of sacks. Production and pay doesn't match up

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

He's overpaid. DE get paid mostly on their abilities to rush the qb. He gets plenty of pressures but little amount of sacks. Production and pay doesn't match up

Pure pass rushers are the ones that are overpaid. If all you can do is get sacks, I'll run at you all day. 

Just now, brkmsn said:

Pure pass rushers are the ones that are overpaid. If all you can do is get sacks, I'll run at you all day. 

He was paid because the FO can't seem to come to terms on when it's time to let a player go. He's an ok player. Solid. Not worthy of what he's getting paid

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Godfather said:

He was paid because the FO can't seem to come to terms on when it's time to let a player go. He's an ok player. Solid. Not worthy of what he's getting paid

It's probably best to wait until you have a better player before you let one go.

Just now, brkmsn said:

It's probably best to wait until you have a better player before you let one go.

Hard to do since Howie can't draft 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

You might think so, but the Eagles spin for years has been that pressure is more important and that sacks are an antiquated stat.

I must have missed that comment by the team.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I must have missed that comment by the team.  Interesting.

I can’t recall the team ever saying it, but their philosophy seems to be close to this concept. With that being the case groups like PFF have severely overrated the importance of pressures. 

5 hours ago, Madriver said:

Ertz has to go because paying him is at this point stupidity. We can't pay top money to a 30+ year old TE. Sure maybe his game does translate to being able to play at a high level for a few more years but this team doesn't translate to that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I can’t recall the team ever saying it, but their philosophy seems to be close to this concept. With that being the case groups like PFF have severely overrated the importance of pressures. 

Fans do it to justify Graham's lack of QB hits and sacks. You and I have always been on the same page with this one. 

• Like 1

They don't have a legit play maker on the edge. BG would be a really good #2 but he's not he's a #1 on this team. Imagine having a guy like Montez Sweat or Chase Young. And then remember we went up against both last night plus Kerrigan.

For a team that builds through the trenches they sure have neglected DE.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They don't have a legit play maker on the edge. BG would be a really good #2 but he's not he's a #1 on this team. Imagine having a guy like Montez Sweat or Chase Young. And then remember we went up against both last night plus Kerrigan.

For a team that builds through the trenches they sure have neglected DE.

It starts up front. AR showed time and time again he was picking early and often guys who can protect the QB and guys who can get to the quarterback.  Since Howie’s been back we got Barnett and Dillard. The rest of those guys have been skilled position players and backups. Is this a bad time to mention most of those skilled position guys haven’t been too skillful? Brandon Graham should not be on this football team, but Howie’s done such a poor job of finding his replacement that he had to bring him back. Graham is the poster boy for exactly my point though. Almost sacks mean nothing. Hitting a quarterback and getting sack mean far more. 

• Like 2

Our Defensive Line is like that Oscar winning movie that all the critics tell you is great but you can't really see it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It starts up front. AR showed time and time again he was picking early and often guys who can protect the QB and guys who can get to the quarterback.  Since Howie’s been back we got Barnett and Dillard. The rest of those guys have been skilled position players and back up. Is this a bad time to mention most of those skilled position guys haven’t been too skillful? Brandon Graham should not be on this football team, but Howie’s done such a poor job of finding his replacement that he had to bring him back. Graham is the poster boy for exactly my point though. Almost sacks mean nothing. Hitting a quarterback and getting sack mean far more. 

Agreed! If you can't protect your QB and you can't get to the opposing QB then you're going to struggle. We needed a WR so I get the Reagor pick but then if they'd have got the JJAW pick right last year it wouldn't have been such a necessity. Poor drafting has left them in a real mess. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed! If you can't protect your QB and you can't get to the opposing QB then you're going to struggle. We needed a WR so I get the Reagor pick but then if they'd have got the JJAW pick right last year it wouldn't have been such a necessity. Poor drafting has left them in a real mess. 

Maybe, but OLine injuries played a huge part yesterday....the scrap heap that made up that line contributed to what we all saw.  Chase Young isn't abusing Lane the way he did Driscoll and Mailata and a worn out Peters.

12 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Maybe, but OLine injuries played a huge part yesterday....the scrap heap that made up that line contributed to what we all saw.  Chase Young isn't abusing Lane the way he did Driscoll and Mailata and a worn out Peters.

As many of the sacks came right up the middle of our line as round the edge,  I actually thought Mailata was passable, but he had nothing inside him and Kelce kept getting caught sliding to try and help out Herbig who was wrestling shadows most of the game.  Pryor coming back in for Herbig will help, but if we put Herbig up against Aaron Donald we might as well put Wentz in a body case premptively, and Sudfeld.

31 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

As many of the sacks came right up the middle of our line as round the edge,  I actually thought Mailata was passable, but he had nothing inside him and Kelce kept getting caught sliding to try and help out Herbig who was wrestling shadows most of the game.  Pryor coming back in for Herbig will help, but if we put Herbig up against Aaron Donald we might as well put Wentz in a body case premptively, and Sudfeld.

The whole season is tied to those five positions.  Losing 2 of the best at their positions and replacing them with Driscoll, Mailata, and Herbig is just a massive step backwards. Peters is worn out, too.  Playing some of the best ends in the league exposed it.