The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: week 1 at Washington

e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

Both Wentz and Doug are both guilty of trying to do too much at the wrong time.

If Wentz doesn't train himself to get rid of the ball before getting sacked he won't survive half the season.

And Doug needs to stop pulling desperation moves when they aren't warranted. Going on 4th at mid-field when it's far from necessary is guaranteed to raise the hackles of your opponent and bring out their fighting spirit. Why not just spit in their faces?

Also, stop gifting your time outs to the other team, trying to preserve maybe 20 seconds for a high risk chance to march downfield and score - especially when you're ahead and you're getting the ball again after the half. Giving your opponent 2 extra time-outs greatly reduces the psychological pressure on them and allows them more chances to throw the ball for big gains.  It's just flat-out STUPID.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Yeah . . . then let's hire Joe Biden . . .        :lol:       :facepalm:       :huh:       :facepalm:       :lol:

Fire his arse too. 

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

If Wentz doesn't train himself to get rid of the ball before getting sacked he won't survive half the season.

I just don't think he's going to learn that. He thinks he can make a play every single time. He backs himself which is great but as a result he's not going to suddenly start throwing it to the ground. 

He just doesn't have the QB smarts I don't think. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The clock has been ticking for Wentz for a while now . . . the honeymoon ended with the Super Bowl victory.

Fairly or unfairly everything Wentz does will be measured against Foles' performance in 2017 / 2018.

Wentz' tendency for injury + largely mediocre performance since 2017 = lots of doubt going forward.

You may be right: going into his 5th year he shouldn't be holding the ball too long. I figure at least 3 of the 8

sacks are on him. But the OL needs help in any event.

I expect improvement this week. I want to see more called roll-outs as well as Wentz adjusting for the pass-rush

on-the-fly. I'd also like him to see the field better . . . especially when there's a receiver standing by himself close

to the sideline with no one within 10 - 15 yds. . . . and then he throws the ball incomplete down field.   :wacko:

On 9/16/2020 at 3:16 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't think he's going to learn that. He thinks he can make a play every single time. He backs himself which is great but as a result he's not going to suddenly start throwing it to the ground. 

I don't think that is fair, wentz is plenty smart enough and I think he gets it. He just is stubborn and wont quit easily unfortunately. There is a difference. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think that is fair, wentz is plenty smart enough and I think he gets it. He just is stubborn and wont quit easily unfortunately. There is a difference. 

So he's not smart enough to put it in to action then? I'm not suggesting he's dumb by any means but in an NFL QB sense he's not being smart. He's not learning. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nipples said:

I’m going to be a little positive now and say that I thought Slay looked really good. 

One of the best compliments you can give a DB is that you don't notice them. They are in the right places with good coverage and so don't get thrown at and don't give up big plays. Well that was ticks all around. 

20 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So he's not smart enough to put it in to action then? I'm not suggesting he's dumb by any means but in an NFL QB sense he's not being smart. He's not learning. 

Maybe it isn’t a case of intelligence rather it’s a case of stubbornness. It’s also important to understand that Carson fashions himself as a gunslinger. His favorite player was Favre and there’s a guy who took chances too. Of course that guy spent most of his career hopped up on drugs, because the beating he took. Wentz isn’t durable enough to keep pretending he’s Favre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

One of the best compliments you can give a DB is that you don't notice them. They are in the right places with good coverage and so don't get thrown at and don't give up big plays. Well that was ticks all around. 

Yeah the only reason I noticed is I spent a lot of the game specifically watching what he was doing whenever he was in frame at least. Had some real good coverage, particularly down the field. Kept McLaurin from doing what he did to this defense last year. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah the only reason I noticed is I spent a lot of the game specifically watching what he was doing whenever he was in frame at least. Had some real good coverage, particularly down the field. Kept McLaurin from doing what he did to this defense last year. 

Yeah I mean McLaurin had what 55 yards? He didn't once do to us what he did to us last year so that's a major step in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean McLaurin had what 55 yards? He didn't once do to us what he did to us last year so that's a major step in the right direction. 

I’d have to go back and look but I dont think Slay was on him for a lot of those catches. 

8 hours ago, nipples said:

I’d have to go back and look but I dont think Slay was on him for a lot of those catches. 

That would be my concern... Why wasn't he? Why isn't Schwartz having him trail their best WR.

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That would be my concern... Why wasn't he? Why isn't Schwartz having him trail their best WR.

Because that isn't their scheme.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, McNabbIsDone said:

The clock has been ticking for Wentz for a while now . . . the honeymoon ended with the Super Bowl victory.

Wentz and Foles have very similar play styles now that we have seen enough of Wentz. Foles also has a terrible habit of holding onto the ball too long to try and make a big play happen and Foles will routinely create sacks as a result. This led to Foles being unhealthy most of his career, including recent years. We caught the best of Foles at the right time while he was also healthy.

Eagles need to run the ball more and establish a running game. Far too many pass attempts in a game we were up 17-0 at one point. Reminded me of the Falcons' loss to the Patriots in the SB.

1 hour ago, Devaster said:

Because that isn't their scheme.

Then he should be on the hot seat... I figured he hadn't had his best CB follow the best WR due to not having a legit #1.

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Then he should be on the hot seat... I figured he hadn't had his best CB follow the best WR due to not having a legit #1.

It will probably come down to game-plan specific. You don't always need or want your #1 CB shadowing the #1 WR unless they are a legitimate elite WR talent and you have a Revis in your pocket. Belichick often sticks Gilmore on the #2 WR to phase them out and them scheme around doubling and taking the #1 threat out with other options. We weren't killed by the Washington offense anyway. The Washington defense man-handled the Oline and forced mistakes and short fields.

3 hours ago, Devaster said:

Foles also has a terrible habit of holding onto the ball too long to try and make a big play happen and Foles will routinely create sacks as a result. This led to Foles being unhealthy most of his career, including recent years. 

But that's not what happened to him when he broke his collar bone in his first start as a Jaguar. Dude threw a perfect TD strike while getting crushed due to an inept OL. 

Eagles need to run the ball more and establish a running game. Far too many pass attempts in a game we were up 17-0 at one point. 

Agree but how do you suppose we accomplish that with last week's OL? It was basically a 'Jail-Break' on almost every down! You can blame Wentz for, I dunno, 1 - 4 of the sacks but that still leaves at least 4 others that weren't his fault. You almost never see Brady getting crushed like that, right? And he's always looking to go long if he can because, well, he's Brady and he's allowed.  

• Like 1

Because they scheme quick passes for Brady. And if the OL can't pass protect then you need to run the ball to get them off balance. The reason our OL was like a sieve is because there were so many pass attempts. Injuries hurt, but continuously passing like that is going to put the opposing defensive line into the mode where they do nothing but pass rush.

3 hours ago, Devaster said:

It will probably come down to game-plan specific. You don't always need or want your #1 CB shadowing the #1 WR unless they are a legitimate elite WR talent and you have a Revis in your pocket. Belichick often sticks Gilmore on the #2 WR to phase them out and them scheme around doubling and taking the #1 threat out with other options. We weren't killed by the Washington offense anyway. The Washington defense man-handled the Oline and forced mistakes and short fields.

When you have Maddox on the other side I would suggest 90% of the time you want your legit #1 on their best WR. Why wouldn't you want to do that?