Week 3 Injury Tracker: Seumalo, Reagor out

time2rock

9 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

Lastly, there’s also a difference between the athletic tests timed speed and game speed. JJAW and Raegor had a similar 40 time but one of them plays much faster and has legit nfl deep threat game speed, the other plays much slower to the point his speed and inability to create any separation is such a liability that it may knock him out of the nfl within two or three years of being drafted. 

I am not going to get into a prolonged debate with you, but it will be interesting to see what happens with him after he leaves the Eagles. Rasul Douglas was lambasted on here for not being an NFL-quality corner, and he's going to play himself into a big contract in Carolina. LJ Fort couldn't get on the field here, and he's highly rated in Baltimore.

Would Kupp be successful in our system with our QB? Would they use him the same way that LA does? I have no idea. But I really doubt it. If you watch the game tape, they had their receivers consistently running different routes than us. 

As far as JJAW being out of the NFL in two or three years, I would bet a not insignificant sum that some other team would snap him up in a hurry and use him much better than we do.

OK- after 3 years of nothing but injuries, this is no longer a coincidence.  There is 14 games left and we are out 3/5th of our Oline. LOL  Either we are too old, train wrong, or have a nack for picking players who are prone to injury. 

Maybe a combination of all 3. 

Ohh and JJAW is Mack Holins 2.0   or Matt Collins 2.1

He gets snaps but doesn't produce. Major Bust. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

OK- after 3 years of nothing but injuries, this is no longer a coincidence.  There is 14 games left and we are out 3/5th of our Oline. LOL  Either we are too old, train wrong, or have a nack for picking players who are prone to injury. 

I think unfortunately, as you say, it's probably a mixture of all 3!

11 hours ago, jsb235 said:

I am not going to get into a prolonged debate with you, but it will be interesting to see what happens with him after he leaves the Eagles. Rasul Douglas was lambasted on here for not being an NFL-quality corner, and he's going to play himself into a big contract in Carolina. LJ Fort couldn't get on the field here, and he's highly rated in Baltimore.

Would Kupp be successful in our system with our QB? Would they use him the same way that LA does? I have no idea. But I really doubt it. If you watch the game tape, they had their receivers consistently running different routes than us. 

As far as JJAW being out of the NFL in two or three years, I would bet a not insignificant sum that some other team would snap him up in a hurry and use him much better than we do.

Yeah fair enough, he will get a second chance somewhere, at least on a PS - if for no other reason than his draft position. I should have said on his way to being cut. 

And sure, there is a chance JJAW could be more productive in a different scheme and QB, particularly someone who is a lot more comfortable throwing to a covered receiver and trusting him to make the catch. But I’d be very surprised if he turns into a meaningful contributor, he just hasn’t shown the ability to seperate in the NFL yet or be trusted to make contested catches (hell he drops open passes). I fully acknowledge that it’s early and he could turn it around - just all the signs at this stage are very negative. But back to the point of my post was that Kupp and JJAW is a silly comparison - they are so different as receivers. It’s wasn’t even about one being good vs bad.

On Rasul, the dude had shown NFL ability here. Hell even Sidney has flashed a few times here. Both their issues were different (injuries/consistently or scheme fit). Rasul should have never been drafted by us (given we know the scheme Schwartz wants) or if he was should have played S. He cant play corner in our scheme which relies on 1-on-1 and single high safety. He can be absolutely play corner in a cover 2 or a scheme where core era jan receivers at the line and have safety help. LJ Fort was a dumb cut - he actually looked Really good in pre season here as well, his coverage and speed flashed. That was a dumb move indeed.

1 hour ago, kiwieagle said:

And sure, there is a chance JJAW could be more productive in a different scheme and QB, particularly someone who is a lot more comfortable throwing to a covered receiver and trusting him to make the catch. But I’d be very surprised if he turns into a meaningful contributor, he just hasn’t shown the ability to seperate in the NFL yet or be trusted to make contested catches (hell he drops open passes). I fully acknowledge that it’s early and he could turn it around - just all the signs at this stage are very negative. But back to the point of my post was that Kupp and JJAW is a silly comparison - they are so different as receivers. It’s wasn’t even about one being good vs bad.

The only reason I think the comparison is fair is the game film from our preseason game against the Ravens last year. In that game JJ had 8 catches for 104 yards in which he was covered primarily by Maurice Cannady, who is a legit corner in the NFL (he started three games in 2019 and signed a $1.2 million contract with the Cowboys before opting out) and Deshon Elliot, who is the starting safety for the Ravens this year.

In that game he was able to create plenty of space for himself on routes similar to those a slot corner would run and was wide open for McCown.

So I have a hard time believing that the ability to play at a decent level isn't there.

I don't know what the issue is. He may just be a bad receiver. But it doesn't make sense that he can get open against solid NFL players when McCown is throwing to him and can't do it when Wentz is playing. His route running could be an issue, and he may not be great at finding the soft spots in zones. But I look at how good Van Jefferson looked on Sunday, and I have to believe that the Rams aren't simply great at drafting wrs, but rather it is their system or qb that puts them in a position to succeed. Woods is a good example of this. He has been far more successful with the Rams than he was with the Bills.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Inadvertently Tanking for Trevor is underway.

I'll take it.

How can they realistically draft Trevor? They traded a bunch of picks not that long ago to draft Wentz. Then they signed him to a huge deal. Then they spend a 2nd rounder on a backup QB. Can they really come back and draft Lawrence? What are we the Philadelphia Browns? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

Maybe a combination of all 3. 

Ohh and JJAW is Mack Holins 2.0   or Matt Collins 2.1

He gets snaps but doesn't produce. Major Bust. 

Been saying it too. He’s a higher drafted worse version of Mack Hollins. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 4:20 AM, kiwieagle said:

Because this isn’t madden and in real life, there is more to even just their athletic profile than straight line speed, size and jumping. And too top that, their respective strengths and the intricacies in their games are of two receivers who play a completely different style.

Kupp has excellent agility, can change direction and get in/out of cuts on a dime - that’s why he profiles as a great slot guy. Added to that the dude runs very crisp routes - all of which means, he gets open consistently. If you want measurables to support this - his 3 cone drill was 6.53 and 20 yard shuttle was 4.08. Those are top-quartile / excellent numbers.

JJAW doesn’t have those athletic traits at all. In fact his agility tested as very very poor for a nfl receiver - 7.23 in the cone and 4.41 in shuttle. What he was meant to have was ability to, jump, twist/adjust and catch the ball at high point, offer a big catch radius and make contested catches giving the QB a big window to throw too (very different strengths to Kupp). And whist not a strength was supposed to have enough speed / quickness to not be a complete liability. People thought his game style  resembled Alshon or Dez. I say he was meant to be those things because to date, I haven’t seen any of that in his nfl tape.

Lastly, there’s also a difference between the athletic tests timed speed and game speed. JJAW and Raegor had a similar 40 time but one of them plays much faster and has legit nfl deep threat game speed, the other plays much slower to the point his speed and inability to create any separation is such a liability that it may knock him out of the nfl within two or three years of being drafted. 

To be fair you don't see that much of it from Alshon either, the throw high to the outside for the receiver to go up and get is not one that Wentz throws often, I don't know why given the height we have and his tendency to ask his TE's to catch high (a half second before a hit from the safety lacerates their kidneys) but yeah the contested high point catch outside is a rarity for us.

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

To be fair you don't see that much of it from Alshon either, the throw high to the outside for the receiver to go up and get is not one that Wentz throws often, I don't know why given the height we have and his tendency to ask his TE's to catch high (a half second before a hit from the safety lacerates their kidneys) but yeah the contested high point catch outside is a rarity for us.

Yeah see I don't know why there's a clamour for Jeffery to come back... and that's nothing to do with Jeffery himself. He's not had great chemistry with Wentz in the past. Wentz isn't the kind of QB who tends to chuck it up for Jeffery to go and get. And when you have a WR like that you need to be accurate. You need to put the ball in a spot where the WR can go snag it but if not nobody else can. 

https://heavy.com/sports/eagles-final-injury-report-fletcher-cox-questionable/

No surprises about the 3 players listed as out on the final injury report (Jeffery, Reagor, and Ford).  I know Cox was questionable, but Doug is only giving him a 10% chance at playing (that was somewhat surprising).  Hopefully Hargrave is ready to step up his game from last week’s underwhelming debut.  And guessing McGill will get the call up again. 

On 9/22/2020 at 5:54 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sorry yes that is what I meant. Not even sure why I said sack...

You had sacks on your mind 😉

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Any word on Cox? Last I heard was he wasn’t likely going to play.

In the article to which I posted the link a few posts above, Doug provided an estimate of 10% that Cox would play. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 5:54 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sorry yes that is what I meant. Not even sure why I said sack...

No doubt a Freudian slip....Sack Prescott!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

In the article to which I posted the link a few posts above, Doug provided an estimate of 10% that Cox would play. 

Odd we called up a safety from the PS instead of a DT. Hargrave is just coming back from injury, and it seems dumb to go into a game with just two DTs at 100 percent.

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Odd we called up a safety from the PS instead of a DT. Hargrave is just coming back from injury, and it seems dumb to go into a game with just two DTs at 100 percent.

I’m not completely familiar with the revised rules put in place for this year, but aren’t all teams allowed to call up a few players from their PS (increasing the active number on game day) and move them back down afterward (without exposing them to waivers)?  If so I suspect they’re still planning to call up McGill.

I’m not completely familiar with the revised rules put in place for this year, but aren’t all teams allowed to call up a few players from their PS (increasing the active number on game day) and move them back down afterward (without exposing them to waivers)?  If so I suspect they’re still planning to call up McGill.

They can only call up two a week and Arnold and Burnett are the ones this week. So either Cox is playing or they are going with three.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

That sounds like out to me. Thanks.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That sounds like out to me. Thanks.

Yep.  Hopefully Hargrave is ready to start earning that big FA contract since his Eagles debut last weekend was a bit underwhelming.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yep.  Hopefully Hargrave is ready to start earning that big FA contract since his Eagles debut last weekend was a bit underwhelming.  

I still hold some hopes for Hargrave. He's only played one game and he's learning a new scheme. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I still hold some hopes for Hargrave. He's only played one game and he's learning a new scheme. 

Oh no doubt.  Anyone would be a complete fool to write him off after one game, especially since he joined during an offseason that was cut short by a pandemic and is coming off a recent injury acquired in TC.  My point is, if Cox is out, we're going to need more from him than he showed in his debut.  

• Like 1

Oh no doubt.  Anyone would be a complete fool to write him off after one game, especially since he joined during an offseason that was cut short by a pandemic and is coming off a recent injury acquired in TC.  My point is, if Cox is out, we're going to need more from him than he showed in his debut.  

Yeah we absolutely are. Although I can make this a small positive... It's not like Cox is a huge loss right now... 😄

Cue the abuse.