Penei Sewell (Oregon OT) -- DRAFTED BY DETROIT #7

Godfather

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can't really argue with that because we do need to go BPA. But I would be a little disappointed and I do feel like this team has so many other issues it needs to address. 

Like @Alphagrand said; Bengals will likely pick in the top 3 and won’t pass on Sewell.

If for some reason he’s still on the board, it would be hard to pass on a generational talent like Sewell. If they take him, they could potentially try to trade Dillard and recoup a second or third for him.

At this point I’m assuming he won’t be an option for us but you never know. We’ll likely be picking in that 4-8 range. Top prospects available. will probably be the likes of Parsons, Chase, Paye, Rousseau and Surtain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Like @Alphagrand said; Bengals will likely pick in the top 3 and won’t pass on Sewell.

If for some reason he’s still on the board, it would be hard to pass on a generational talent like Sewell. If they take him, they could potentially try to trade Dillard and recoup a second or third for him.

At this point I’m assuming he won’t be an option for us but you never know. We’ll likely be picking in that 4-8 range. Top prospects available. will probably be the likes of Parsons, Chase, Paye, Rousseau and Surtain.

I'd put Devonta Smith in that conversation also.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I'd put Devonta Smith in that conversation also.

Look I like Devonta Smith a lot but I don’t view him as a top 5 prospect in the upcoming draft. Maybe top 10 but that’s debatable too.

Unless Chase blows it at the combine, I can’t see Smith or Waddle overtake him. That’s assuming he truly is that good and he’ll not fall off a cliff all of a sudden.

If we pick in that 4-8 range, it’s too early to take either Waddle or Smith IMO. I’d be more comfortable taking them in that 12-18 range.

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Look I like Devonta Smith a lot but I don’t view him as a top 5 prospect in the upcoming draft. Maybe top 10 but that’s debatable too.

Unless Chase blows it at the combine, I can’t see Smith or Waddle overtake him. That’s assuming he truly is that good and he’ll not fall off a cliff all of a sudden.

If we pick in that 4-8 range, it’s too early to take either Waddle or Smith IMO. I’d be more comfortable taking them in that 12-18 range.

I agree top 10 no doubt. If we're there at 8 and Chase is gone I'd pull the trigger on Smith

13 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I agree top 10 no doubt. If we're there at 8 and Chase is gone I'd pull the trigger on Smith

Over the other prospects I mentioned?!

28 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Over the other prospects I mentioned?!

Everyone except Surtain. I don't see them going DE. Call me crazy. I don't think they give up on Barnett. Matter of fact I think they extend him. Graham is having a good year and that keeps them from drafting a DE in the 1st rd this year. It's a weak class and the 2 best guys don't really stick out that much. Rousseau and Paye are good but they could get a guy like DeAndre Johnson later in the draft or Ossai if he falls to the 2nd rd. Reason I would go Smith if Chase is off the board (which I hope that's not the case) is because if Wentz is your guy then put all your chips in and get him reliable wrs he can grow with. Stop the musical chairs at wr. They messed up the last 2 drafts and reached on guys putting us in the same position we've been in the last 3 years

24 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Everyone except Surtain. I don't see them going DE. Call me crazy. I don't think they give up on Barnett. Matter of fact I think they extend him.

You may be right. I'm not sure it would be a case of them giving up on him though. But it will depend on what kind of contract he's after. They may let him test FA.

33 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Everyone except Surtain. I don't see them going DE. Call me crazy. I don't think they give up on Barnett. Matter of fact I think they extend him. Graham is having a good year and that keeps them from drafting a DE in the 1st rd this year. It's a weak class and the 2 best guys don't really stick out that much. Rousseau and Paye are good but they could get a guy like DeAndre Johnson later in the draft or Ossai if he falls to the 2nd rd. Reason I would go Smith if Chase is off the board (which I hope that's not the case) is because if Wentz is your guy then put all your chips in and get him reliable wrs he can grow with. Stop the musical chairs at wr. They messed up the last 2 drafts and reached on guys putting us in the same position we've been in the last 3 years

Partially agree here. 

DE is a huge need IMO. BG will turn 33 next year, Barnett is okay but hasn’t lived up to his draft status, Sweat is a good  rotational DE but will be entering the last year of his rookie deal.

Keep in mind; this organisation loves to draft pass rushers. They simply feel more comfortable taking a DE high over any other position except for maybe OT and QB. Heck, they do it about every 4 to 5 years. Therefor I believe edge rusher is definitely in play in the first.

18 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Partially agree here. 

DE is a huge need IMO. BG will turn 33 next year, Barnett is okay but hasn’t lived up to his draft status, Sweat is a good  rotational DE but will be entering the last year of his rookie deal.

Keep in mind; this organisation loves to draft pass rushers. They simply feel more comfortable taking a DE high over any other position except for maybe OT and QB. Heck, they do it about every 4 to 5 years. Therefor I believe edge rusher is definitely in play in the first.

Oh yea. I don't mind building both lines up. With it being a weak year for DE and a deep oline and wr class I do believe they'll wait until later in the draft. Howie has put the team in this position with striking out on the wr position. We could have been in a position to take whoever this year if Howie drafted a Metcalf or Jefferson. I'd love to get a guy like Surtain but with striking out I think they need to go wr

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You may be right. I'm not sure it would be a case of them giving up on him though. But it will depend on what kind of contract he's after. They may let him test FA.

I believe they picked up his 5th year option. 10 mill cap hit. No way that will stay like that. I think they do an extension to lower that

21 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I believe they picked up his 5th year option. 10 mill cap hit. No way that will stay like that. I think they do an extension to lower that

I don't think they have yet? I don't remember that but I could be wrong. 

35 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think they have yet? I don't remember that but I could be wrong. 

I'm pretty sure they picked up his option in the offseason 

2 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Right now we are at 7.

We'll be at 5 when we lose out. 4 if we lose out and something else happens(haven't figured out)

Haven't been able to get to 3. 4 is the highest

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

We'll be at 5 when we lose out. 4 if we lose out and something else happens(haven't figured out)

At this point I hope Hurts leads us to the 4th pick. 

17 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Unless something crazy happens. Bengals will take him at 3

5 hours ago, Godfather said:

Unless something crazy happens. Bengals will take him at 3

Agreed. Even if they are picking at 2 i think they may trade down a spot to take him. 

• 1 month later...

Would definitely prefer to go another direction even if he drops to us. Or trade back and let someone else take him. He is a stud and I like bpa but I think we are solid at tackle right now.

Would definitely prefer to go another direction even if he drops to us. Or trade back and let someone else take him. He is a stud and I like bpa but I think we are solid at tackle right now.

I am a little confused do y’all want Sewell to play LT or RT (Replace Lane)? He is not a guard and it would be a disservice to put him at guard.

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

I am a little confused do y’all want Sewell to play LT or RT (Replace Lane)? He is not a guard and it would be a disservice to put him at guard.

I don't think he's there for them to take. If he is you would put him a LT, Mailata would be Lane's back up, and I'm not sure what they would do with Dillard

• Like 1

I would definitely take Sewell if he falls to #6 pick. He might be the best player in the entire draft. But he won't get past the Bengals at #5. So they'd have to trade up. I'm not sure that's the most prudent thing to do, since the Eagles are already stacked at Tackle.

• Like 1

Sewell seems to be one of the best players in this draft regardless of position. 

Replacing Lane seems to have become a bigger issue this year. He is getting older and injuries piling up. Locking in the tackles with Jordan and Sewell would be nice with Dillard as the back up. The Oline also has to worry about Brooks as he has serious injury history and Kelce potential retiring. If Isaac moves to center to replace Kelce, then the guards are in bad shape if Brooks can't bounce back. Maybe Dillard or Jordan can fill one of those spots? Pryor, Herbing, etc... should not be starting. 

Outside of Trevor Lawrence, Sewell is the only other player I see no way he falls to #6

• Like 1

13 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Outside of Trevor Lawrence, Sewell is the only other player I see no way he falls to #6

Agreed. If the Jets don't take him then Miami will I'm pretty confident on that.