If you had your choice

Who would you fire  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you fire

I’m not ready to fire anyone yet, but if I had to pick it would have to be Wentz at this point. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

The Head Coach is the one most responsible for the state of the team. 

The GM/Personnel director is the one responsible for replenishing the talent of the team. If there is a lack of talent, then the coach can only compensate to a certain degree.

• Like 2

Just now, CaliEagle said:

The GM/Personnel director is the one responsible for replenishing the talent of the team. If there is a lack of talent, then the coach can only compensate to a certain degree.

I see talent on the team. We are losing games because of mistakes. We were in FG range and a penalty took us out. On 4th down, neither team had a timeout left, we could have run a play, attempting to get the yardage for a 1st down and had enough time left to clock the ball. There was not enough time left for the bengals to get into FG range. 

• Like 2

Lets see.  The qb who's sucking...or the GM who drafted him...or the coach who has done a terrible job of developing him...touch choice. I'll say Doug.  Wentz can still be salvaged with better coaching, and Howie is still good at contracts and free agent stuff for the most part.  Starting to look more and more Doug was carried by Frank Reich.  

• Like 1

Howie and not even close.  He sucks at drafting - we have very little young talent on cheap rookie contracts (relative to other teams) and the worst cap situation in the NFL going into 2021.  You start by bringing in a GM that has a real eye for talent and go from there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phil77 said:

If Doug stays it comes with conditions. Hire a young creative offensive coordinator and give up play calling. Also need to fire and hire a new defensive coordinator. If he says NO they fire Doug. 

Same schiit people said year after year about Reid.          If you're not happy with the results, you move on, you don't try to reinvent the wheel like they did with Reid for way too damned long.          The Super Bowl is three long years ago, an eternity in pro sports. 

Listen, it's pretty clear at this point that as much as we're all grateful for 2017, that was an anomaly regarding what Pederson is as a coach and especially what Roseman is as a "GM".           

Pederson shocked me with his flexibility and his boldness in 2017, but it's clear at this point that he had a great OC in Reich, a bunch of veteran leaders who had career years, and a gift from the heavens in Foles.           But the reality is that Pederson is who I and others thought he was - a chip off the old block.       And we've seen it over and over since that SB.

As for Roseman, 2017 was the biggest fluke of all, with every single one of his textbook cheap acquisitions striking gold.        The national media, as is their wont, canonized him as if his way was the new way to win in the NFL and would be copied league wide.           Well, those that did are certainly paying the price now, I would bet.          Roseman also is what he is, a paper pushing numbers guy, nothing more and nothing less.              

His drafts have predictably been an embarrassment, and his signings have all of a sudden been a matter of you get what you pay for, and if you're counting on cheap signings making up for awful drafting, you won't be employed long - unless you work for Jeffrey Lurie, that is.

Some of us saw all of this before the Super Bowl year, and while I'll never give that glorious moment up, none of what is happening now comes as even the slightest surprise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think this is spot on. Wentz isn't going to be benched this year and he'll be the starter next year too. By the middle of next year if things are no better then I think they'll bench him and look to move on. 

If Wentz plays bad another couple games then you have to bench him.  He needs to have a message sent.

I know Chicago didnt give Trubisky a big deal but they benched him today.  Just like Wentz he was a #2 overall pick and Chicago was 2-0 yet they still benched him cuz he wasnt playing well.

• Like 1

You guys can't think short term and fire Doug or cut Wentz (contract wise you can't anyway). Leaving Howie means he stays with terrible drafting and just more coach carousel and "QB factory."

Get a real GM. Someone from a consistent solid team that knows how to draft and has an identity. Set that as an organizational philosophy. 

Then everything done fits under that philosophy. Coaching hires, personnel and scouting, draft, free agency, scheme, play calling, leadership. 

Howie isn't even a cap genius anymore. He's made bad trades, extended bad contracts and the team is awful in the draft. The only couple good players they draft are consensus good prospects like Goedert and Sanders. 

Howie must go. If that happens you can handle 2 years of Wentz and Doug because you'd be investing in the LONG TERM success of the franchise for decades.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Ugh that QB factory comment to defend the pick was HORRIBLE. Made you just want to punch Howie

We're a QB factory..that apparently went out of business in 2017.

33 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You guys can't think short term and fire Doug or cut Wentz (contract wise you can't anyway). Leaving Howie means he stays with terrible drafting and just more coach carousel and "QB factory."

Get a real GM. Someone from a consistent solid team that knows how to draft and has an identity. Set that as an organizational philosophy. 

Then everything done fits under that philosophy. Coaching hires, personnel and scouting, draft, free agency, scheme, play calling, leadership. 

Howie isn't even a cap genius anymore. He's made bad trades, extended bad contracts and the team is awful in the draft. The only couple good players they draft are consensus good prospects like Goedert and Sanders. 

Howie must go. If that happens you can handle 2 years of Wentz and Doug because you'd be investing in the LONG TERM success of the franchise for decades.

I agree that benching Wentz and firing Pederson right now are band aids on a gash - this is a bad football team with a tone of weak spots, and you aren't going to somehow save the season.

I absolutely think that Pederson has to go along with Roseman the moment the season ends, then you go out an find a bright young mind from a successful franchise and let him hire the coach and reestablish the culture here.          There's too much invested in Wentz, and we saw what he is capable of with proper coaching and development in 2017.

The sad thing is that short of a complete implosion I don't believe Lurie's voluminous notes will lead him to the same conclusion. 

7 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

I agree that benching Wentz and firing Pederson right now are band aids on a gash - this is a bad football team with a tone of weak spots, and you aren't going to somehow save the season.

I absolutely think that Pederson has to go along with Roseman the moment the season ends, then you go out an find a bright young mind from a successful franchise and let him hire the coach and reestablish the culture here.          There's too much invested in Wentz, and we saw what he is capable of with proper coaching and development in 2017.

The sad thing is that short of a complete implosion I don't believe Lurie's voluminous notes will lead him to the same conclusion. 

I like Doug but starting to doubt he holds players accountable. 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

A terrible bi-product of Covid.  Is Lurie won’t see empty seats in the stands later this season cause of the terrible team Howie created.  He’ll just see empty seats cause of Covid.  That is what will give Howie another year.  Lurie won’t see the impact.  All he cares about is the $ and social issues.  He got his SB ring.  He could give two ish if this team wins or losses, from here on out.   

Why did Lurie supposedly demand Doug fire Groh and Walch last year then?

11 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I like Doug but starting to doubt he holds players accountable. 

He's too scared to. If I was Doug, I would have gotten on to Wentz and bench Wentz until he can straighten up. Bears HC had guts to bench Trubisky.

4 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

If Wentz plays bad another couple games then you have to bench him.  He needs to have a message sent.

Whether that should happen or not it isn't going to. Doug isn't going to bench Wentz, Howie won't allow it. Not anytime soon anyway. 

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Ugh that QB factory comment to defend the pick was HORRIBLE. Made you just want to punch Howie

This team has a history of horrific sound bites over the years. 

All of the above, but if I had to choose the first one to fire it would be Howie.  I'd give Doug and Wentz one more chance with a real GM

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Whether that should happen or not it isn't going to. Doug isn't going to bench Wentz, Howie won't allow it. Not anytime soon anyway. 

I think it could happen.  

It would be one thing if he was playing OK but everyone around him wasnt.  He's playing like a rookie when he's in year 5.  

You can't just continue to roll him out there week after week if he's going to play like this.  Sooner or later you have to change something.  I give it 2-3 more weeks.  If he hasnt improved then he'll get benched.

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

I think it could happen.  

It would be one thing if he was playing OK but everyone around him wasnt.  He's playing like a rookie when he's in year 5.  

You can't just continue to roll him out there week after week if he's going to play like this.  Sooner or later you have to change something.  I give it 2-3 more weeks.  If he hasnt improved then he'll get benched.

I just think this organisation is tied to Wentz. They are tied to him contractually and financially. They are tied to him because of the draft capital they gave up to go and get him. They stuck with him after Foles won the SB. This team is tied to Wentz. If they bench Wentz then they are throwing in the towel and that reflects badly on Howie and Doug.

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just think this organisation is tied to Wentz. They are tied to him contractually and financially. They are tied to him because of the draft capital they gave up to go and get him. They stuck with him after Foles won the SB. This team is tied to Wentz. If they bench Wentz then they are throwing in the towel and that reflects badly on Howie and Doug.

I agree but still think if poor play continues then benching him is a real possibility.  All those things about the draft capital and sticking with him after Foles won the SB......that's been a few years now.  They cant tie Wentz to those things forever.  

If anything a new HC would be more effective than a new QB.  I'd rather they replace Doug than Carson.  I think with DP he just found something that worked in 2017 and rode it to a SB.  He hasnt shown much since in my eyes.