If you had your choice

Who would you fire  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you fire

This team is enormously bereft of talent at WR, LB and Secondary due to Roseman's direct influence. His track record is atrocious even if you consider Wentz a "hit", which I think is fair.

I think it's currently 50-50 Howie remains the GM, but I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. The next GM would be stepping into one lousy situation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

I agree but still think if poor play continues then benching him is a real possibility.  All those things about the draft capital and sticking with him after Foles won the SB......that's been a few years now.  They cant tie Wentz to those things forever.  

If anything a new HC would be more effective than a new QB.  I'd rather they replace Doug than Carson.  I think with DP he just found something that worked in 2017 and rode it to a SB.  He hasnt shown much since in my eyes.

I just don't see it. They should if this continues but I don't see it. They are tied too Wentz and the shouts to fire Howie and Doug will be even louder from all sides if Wentz is benched. 

4 hours ago, downundermike said:

Tons of Carson hate today, but the polling is clear that you all think Howie is the real problem, then Doug then Carson.

Yeah I'd rather they go with a new coach then a new QB.

It would have to be a HC that has an offensive background and has done good work with QBs.  

3 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Yeah I'd rather they go with a new coach then a new QB.

It would have to be a HC that has an offensive background and has done good work with QBs.  

But just to play devil's advocate... Hasn't the HC proven more than the QB?

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I do think the HC benefitted from a better roster and coaches when he first started. Since he has had to handle more staff hires and player development, I think we've seen that maybe it wasn't all him behind those magical moments. His offense has looked very vanilla, especially after watching this weekend's games and seeing some good offensive performances with creative play calling. 

In the end, it is obviously all intertwined. But I do think that Howie's poor drafts over the years have put the Eagles far behind the 8-ball. They don't even have enough talent to keep afloat while they fix things. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The HC has seemingly done it with smoke and mirrors, and everyone else has figured out the trick. The HC also doesn’t have salary cap ramifications. 

I don't understand why everybody wants to put all the blame on Howie for the lousy drafts. He's not a talent evaluator, he's a cap/contracts guru. Yes, Howie's in charge but he's supposed to have other guys help him evaluate players. I remember when Joe Douglas was supposed to be this great talent evaluator. He's as much to blame for the bad drafts 2016-2019. Now's he's with the Jets.

15 minutes ago, toolg said:

I don't understand why everybody wants to put all the blame on Howie for the lousy drafts. He's not a talent evaluator, he's a cap/contracts guru. Yes, Howie's in charge but he's supposed to have other guys help him evaluate players. I remember when Joe Douglas was supposed to be this great talent evaluator. He's as much to blame for the bad drafts 2016-2019. Now's he's with the Jets.

They draft terrible, and Howie makes the final calls.  You say he's not a talent evaluator...then fire him, they NEED a talent evaluator.  He's not even a cap/contracts guru anymore.  He's given out bad contracts, made bad trades and kicked the can down the road too much on restructures and now they are in a very bad cap situation the next 2 seasons...with horrid drafting and not much talent to replace the purge that's coming.

They need to blow up the entire scouting and personnel dept and get a real GM.  Plenty of other GMs work the cap, make trades and extend their players. Howie is not some genius at that anymore.  

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has but that was 2017.  Doug did some creative things and he took chances.  But it seems all that is gone.  Many believe Reich was the mind behind the SB run.

Its not just Wentz but the whole team seems to be regressing since 2017.  That's on Doug and Howie.

Tie between Howie and Wentz. Howie has made huge errors building this roster, no doubt, but I think the longer they hold out hope that Wentz magically fixes all of his issues the longer the rebuild is going to take. 

If I have to choose who should be "fired” first, I go Wentz. He should be benched if he keeps playing like garbage the next few games.

And Howie should be fired after the season. His only saving grace, IMO, would be if Hurts does get in there and absolutely lights it up, and Reagor comes back from the injury to have a great rest of the season. At that point I would have to give Howie some credit for having the stones to take Hurts and Reagor, when neither pick was the popular choice in many people’s minds. That might save his job on the off chance that scenario plays out. 

• Like 1

Doug and Wentz are temporary.  Howie is a long term issue that affects the entire organization at its core.  There is no other answer than Howie.  You start there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Doug and Wentz are temporary.  Howie is a long term issue that affects the entire organization at its core.  There is no other answer than Howie.  You start there.

He’s also has been here longest and has a more extensive body of work to look at, even if his specific role is cloudy at times. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:06 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

He’s also has been here longest and has a more extensive body of work to look at, even if his specific role is cloudy at times. 

And that overall body of work is far from impressive. 

54 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that overall body of work is far from impressive. 

Yup. 

On 9/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, phil77 said:

If Doug stays it comes with conditions. Hire a young creative offensive coordinator and give up play calling. Also need to fire and hire a new defensive coordinator. If he says NO they fire Doug. 

Doug has shown himself to be an excellent play caller when given a good set of plays to choose from. Not so good at play design it would seem. So I agree we need a creative, talented OC, but think doug can handle the play calling if we get that.

I believe a lot of what we're attributing to Howie goes to Lurie himself (like repeatedly bringing back JP), but Howie has not been good enough. 

Also, why isn't the medical staff an option? When was the last time this team had merely an average number of injuries? 2016? 

12 minutes ago, wyote said:

I believe a lot of what we're attributing to Howie goes to Lurie himself (like repeatedly bringing back JP), but Howie has not been good enough. 

Also, why isn't the medical staff an option? When was the last time this team had merely an average number of injuries? 2016? 

They changed the medical staff. I don't think it's the medical staff that are the issue, it's perhaps the S&C staff that need to be looked at. 

• Like 1