Eagles Mock Draft (10-06-2020)

Ray75

8 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I think this team thinking they can outsmart the rest of the league is part of the problem. Howie said "watch this" and let Metcalf go to Seattle and took Arcega-Whiteside. Howie misses on more picks than he hits.. I don't trust that he will find another Seumalo or Kelce. Kelce was drafted in 2011, ten years will have passed since we made that pick and havent hit on another one like it since.

I think thats the outlier and not the standard. Youre not wrong... But I dont think hitting on a pro bowl C 10 years ago should dictate our draft philosophy of today. At the end of the day I want the BEST PLAYER that is there when we draft. If thats a CB then so be it. But we need to stop trying out outsmart the rest of the league and just get some damn talent!

Appreciate the read as always! Been following yours and other mocks on the boards for years now and yours are always very thorough and well written. Lookin forward to a few more soon hopefully!!

18 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I agree.

But you have to consider a couple of things here.

The Steelers for example almost always use their first rounder on defense (mostly LB) and have a knack for finding WR talent in the second round and beyond. It has been their bread and butter, their philosophy for decades. 

The Eagles use their first round draft capital mostly on the D- and O-line and for the most part they’re good at it. They used multiple high draft picks on receivers in the last two decades with mixed results. They do have a knack for finding O-line talent in the latter rounds though!

For some reason they shied away from taking DB’s early which resulted in a ton of FA acquisitions. A mixed bag to say the least. For every Slay, Samuel and Jenkins, we have a Williams, Fletcher, Carroll, Maxwell and Asomugha to count for.

If you believe both our offensive and defensive line are in good shape, you don’t have to add high draft selections to the mix and the focus should be on finding talent at other positions of need, like CB, LB and safety, to balance things out.

Why use a high draft pick on an OC if you proved time and time again you have a knack for finding quality IOL later in the draft?!

If you dig into the draft class a little deeper, you’ll find out that it’s deepest at WR, S, TE and LB, top heavy but overall average at CB, good and deep at OL especially IOL, okay at RB but below average at D-line.

My philosophy to take full advantage of this class would be to take the best CB you can get your hands on in the top 15 and work from there. Mainly because the drop off from rounds one to two will be the steepest from a talent perspective at that position.

The upcoming draft class has so many talented LB’s, WR’s and Safeties it will not be hard (maybe for Howie) to find a stud at each position in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Humphrey is the top center but the class is pretty good and I believe it won’t be hard to find a quality center in the middle rounds.

Take a look at the top center prospects and explain to me why you think we won’t be able to find a good center in rounds 3 to 6?! Promise you one thing; it will be way harder to find a quality corner there...

1) Creed Humphrey Oklahoma

2) Alec Lindstrom Boston College

3) Trey Hill Georgia

4) Jimmy Morrissey Pitt

5) Drake Jackson Kentucky

6) Matt Allen Michigan State

7) Michal Menet Penn State

8) Landon Dickerson Alabama

9) Jack Wohlabaugh Duke

And if you believe in BPA about every top prospect list has the top 3 CB’s rated higher than Creed Humphrey.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Preach ray

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ray for GM.

Ray for GM.

Ray for GM.

EBAD230B-B0B0-4599-B64A-F777EE523305.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I agree.

But you have to consider a couple of things here.

The Steelers for example almost always use their first rounder on defense (mostly LB) and have a knack for finding WR talent in the second round and beyond. It has been their bread and butter, their philosophy for decades. 

The Eagles use their first round draft capital mostly on the D- and O-line and for the most part they’re good at it. They used multiple high draft picks on receivers in the last two decades with mixed results. They do have a knack for finding O-line talent in the latter rounds though!

For some reason they shied away from taking DB’s early which resulted in a ton of FA acquisitions. A mixed bag to say the least. For every Slay, Samuel and Jenkins, we have a Williams, Fletcher, Carroll, Maxwell and Asomugha to count for.

If you believe both our offensive and defensive line are in good shape, you don’t have to add high draft selections to the mix and the focus should be on finding talent at other positions of need, like CB, LB and safety, to balance things out.

Why use a high draft pick on an OC if you proved time and time again you have a knack for finding quality IOL later in the draft?!

If you dig into the draft class a little deeper, you’ll find out that it’s deepest at WR, S, TE and LB, top heavy but overall average at CB, good and deep at OL especially IOL, okay at RB but below average at D-line.

My philosophy to take full advantage of this class would be to take the best CB you can get your hands on in the top 15 and work from there. Mainly because the drop off from rounds one to two will be the steepest from a talent perspective at that position.

The upcoming draft class has so many talented LB’s, WR’s and Safeties it will not be hard (maybe for Howie) to find a stud at each position in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Humphrey is the top center but the class is pretty good at I believe it won’t be hard to find a quality center in the middle rounds.

Take a look at the top center prospects and explain to me why you think we won’t be able to find a good center in rounds 3 to 6?! Promise you one thing; it will be way harder to find a quality corner there...

1) Creed Humphrey Oklahoma

2) Alec Lindstrom Boston College

3) Trey Hill Georgia

4) Jimmy Morrissey Pitt

5) Drake Jackson Kentucky

6) Matt Allen Michigan State

7) Michal Menet Penn State

8) Landon Dickerson Alabama

9) Jack Wohlabaugh Duke

And if you believe in BPA about every top prospect list has the top 3 CB’s rated higher than Creed Humphrey.

Howie misses on more late round picks than he hits. Not sure why we are even talking about that. In this mock howie gets fired right? Not sure how you can claim we have a knack for doing something when it’s a persons first year in a role? 

You made some pretty damn good points about centers being available later. I will have to consider that and research some later guys for my next mock. 

With multiple second and possibly third round picks it should be pretty easy to take our pick from the top guys at a few positions. 

I still stick with BPA. I don’t think surtain makes it out of the top ten. But we might make it inside the top ten lol...

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Howie misses on more late round picks than he hits. Not sure why we are even talking about that. In this mock howie gets fired right? Not sure how you can claim we have a knack for doing something when it’s a persons first year in a role? 

You made some pretty damn good points about centers being available later. I will have to consider that and research some later guys for my next mock. 

With multiple second and possibly third round picks it should be pretty easy to take our pick from the top guys at a few positions. 

I still stick with BPA. I don’t think surtain makes it out of the top ten. But we might make it inside the top ten lol...

I think you’re right. Surtain probably won’t make it out of the top 10. A bunch of teams will be looking for a good corner. Like Farley about equally.

Anyway...if we pick in the top 10 or at around, we’d have a bunch of options.

Not sure what je meant with "Not sure how you can claim we have a knack for doing something when it’s a persons first year in a role?”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

I think you’re right. Surtain probably won’t make it out of the top 10. A bunch of teams will be looking for a good corner. Like Farley about equally

Just as well we should be picking in the top 10 then... 😉

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Like Farley about equally.

He’s too banged up. I’m passing on him. 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

He’s too banged up. I’m passing on him. 

Farley suffered a ACL tear in 2017 and missed the last two games in 2019 (back spasms) but there’s no denying his potential at outside corner in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Farley suffered a ACL tear in 2017 and missed the last two games in 2019 (back spasms) but there’s no denying his potential at outside corner in the NFL.

With the Eagles luck with injuries I'm passing. I'm fine with him being an elite corner somewhere else. I feel he comes here he will be week to week his entire career. 

9 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

With the Eagles luck with injuries I'm passing. I'm fine with him being an elite corner somewhere else. I feel he comes here he will be week to week his entire career. 

Fair point...

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I think you’re right. Surtain probably won’t make it out of the top 10. A bunch of teams will be looking for a good corner. Like Farley about equally.

Anyway...if we pick in the top 10 or at around, we’d have a bunch of options.

Not sure what je meant with "Not sure how you can claim we have a knack for doing something when it’s a persons first year in a role?”.

I will have to look into Fairley as well.

I was just wondering about your thoughts on whether tendencies in past drafts is relevant with a new GM?

Just now, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I will have to look into Fairley as well.

I was just wondering about your thoughts on whether tendencies in past drafts is relevant with a new GM?

None! It’s a blank canvas as far as I’m concerned.

50 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Thoughts about Shaun Wade as a potential first round target?!

Only knock on him would be; we’ve never seen him play outside corner...

On 10/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, Ray75 said:

Thoughts about Shaun Wade as a potential first round target?!

Only knock on him would be; we’ve never seen him play outside corner...

Can this team afford to take that risk? Or are they better taking one of the other top corners in this draft? I like the potential but is it a risk we can take?

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can this team afford to take that risk? Or are they better taking one of the other top corners in this draft? I like the potential but is it a risk we can take?

The way I see it;

Wade will be an awesome player at the next level, no matter where you play him in the defensive backfield.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

The way I see it;

Wade will be an awesome player at the next level, no matter where you play him in the defensive backfield.

But where do you line him up? We need outside corner but there's no guarantee he'll be a success there. We need safety so that's an option. We don't really need nickel.

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But where do you line him up? We need outside corner but there's no guarantee he'll be a success there. We need safety so that's an option. We don't really need nickel.

A little evaluation from my part. Wade is a very physical and pretty athletic DB who would make any backfield better. Dare I say it; he made Okudah better and was a factor he went top 5 in april.

Can he play on the outside?! Well that’s anyone’s guess but he has prototypical size at 6.1 ft and speed for that. What I like most from him is his physicality. He sticks his nose in everything and is a hard hitter. Even old skool in that departement. WR’s, TE’s and RB’s think twice if he’s around.

If you take pure need at outside corner out of the equation, he’s just an awesome DB who will undoubtfully make your defense better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

A little evaluation from my part. Wade is a very physical and pretty athletic DB who would make any backfield better. Dare I say it; he made Okudah better and was a factor he went top 5 in april.

Can he play on the outside?! Well that’s anyone’s guess but he has prototypical size at 6.1 ft and speed for that. What I like most from him is his physicality. He sticks his nose in everything and is a hard hitter. Even old skool in that departement. WR’s, TE’s and RB’s think twice if he’s around.

If you take pure need at outside corner out of the equation, he’s just an awesome DB who will undoubtfully make your defense better.

The key has to be getting play makers on this defense right? Well getting play makers full stop but if we can add a monster play maker to the secondary then that would be huge. I just have some concerns about Wade ending up being one of those players who can play all over but never really settles in one position. Jabrill Peppers (I think that was his name) was a bit like that a few years ago and as a result struggled to make an impact.

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The key has to be getting play makers on this defense right? Well getting play makers full stop but if we can add a monster play maker to the secondary then that would be huge. I just have some concerns about Wade ending up being one of those players who can play all over but never really settles in one position. Jabrill Peppers (I think that was his name) was a bit like that a few years ago and as a result struggled to make an impact.

When all is said and done, I think this team will wind up winning the division and we’re talking about a late teens, early twenties pick.

Look at the rest of the NFC least. Giants might be the worst team in the league, Washington has no offense and the Cowboys look like a mess. We’re likely the best of the worst...

It’s definitely fun talking about the top prospects but in the end we’ll be discussing who they should pick in that 2nd tier. Sigh!

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

When all is said and done, I think this team will wind up winning the division and we’re talking about a late teens, early twenties pick.

Look at the rest of the NFC least. Giants might be the worst team in the league, Washington has no offense and the Cowboys look like a mess. We’re likely the best of the worst...

It’s definitely fun talking about the top prospects but in the end we’ll be discussing who they should pick in that 2nd tier. Sigh!

Oh I agree once again we will screw ourselves with our draft position. Screw ourselves by keeping Howie Roseman.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Peppers is the only thing that worries me about Thursday night. Safeties aren’t really going to stand out on a bad team. It’s not a position that can survive on its own. 

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

But I don’t want to win the division :thumbdown:

32 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Peppers is the only thing that worries me about Thursday night. Safeties aren’t really going to stand out on a bad team. It’s not a position that can survive on its own. 

But I don’t want to win the division :thumbdown:

Me neither! 😂