Eagles Mock Draft (10-06-2020)

Ray75

Is it that time already?! Yep, my first mock draft of the season!

It pains me to say it but this team isn’t going anywhere. CW looks lost, Doug doesn’t have any answers, Schwartz stubbornness to adapt has left the defense vulnarable, we’re dealing with a ton of injuries AGAIN and possibly looking at a 4-11-1 record. Shall I continue?! 

A significant firesale and overhaul of the FO and coaching staff might be inevitable IMO, especially if you take this team’s horrible cap situation for 2021 into account. It’s a total disaster!

The elephant in the room is Howie. A glorified accountant who’s good with contracts and numbers but doesn’t have a clue how to build a team and how to identify talent.

A perfect example of someone who gained too much power during his tenure but just doesn’t give in to his shortcomings.  A round peg in a square hole who’s mistakes have run this team into the ground. From disastrous draft classes to extending players who are way past their prime to squandering draft picks in trades on players that are flat out bad fits here (like Tate and Avery). 

For all the good things he’s done (trading Maxwell and Alonso to move up in the draft + basically the entire 2017 offseason...briljant), he made ten times as many mistakes.

It has to stop! Lurie has to take action and realise 2017 was just an anomaly, a lucky hand in poker not the dawn of a dynasty!

For the sake of the argument I say Lurie will give him the sack but I’m holding my breath. If it’s change and a new identity he wants, he has too start there and bring in true football minds.

One last word; I think Carson is salvageable. He just needs a mentor, someone who gets inside his head. A QB guru is the only thing that can save his career, not a BFF in Press Taylor. What choice do we have here?! He isn’t tradeable until 2022 anyway...still 24 mln in deadmoney by that time...

GM candidates;

Jeremiah, Hortiz (Ravens), Dotts (Colts)

HC candidates; 

Bieniemy (Chiefs OC), Daboll (Bills OC), Roman (Ravens OC) and Saleh (Niners DC).

Trades;

New FO will have to make some tough decisions in order to get under the cap alone. Wouldn’t suprise me if some moves will already be made by the current regime come trade deadline for the same exact reason.

- Fletcher Cox to the Las Vegas Raiders for a 2nd in 2021;

- Zack Ertz to the NE Patriots for a 2nd and 5th in 2021.

Keeper;

Malik Jackson on a reduced salary to pair with Javon Hargrave.

Cuts/not re-signed;

A bunch I can imagine...DJax, Alshon, JP, Mills, NRC, Parks, Gerry...

Retire;

Jason Kelce  Can’t see him sticking around after this debacle. 😢

FA?! 

Sorry but we’re lucky if we find a way to have just enough room to attract some under the radar FA’s and sign our rookies IMO. Thanks, Howie!

Draft;

Please new FO and talent evaluators! Hit on all your picks please, please, please!!!

1) Patrick Surtain, II, CB, Alabama;

JaMarr Chase is off the board in my scenario , the DE class is mediocre (Rousseau, Rouche, Basham) and I still can’t see us taking a LB like Micah Parsons in the top 5-10 no matter the new philosophy of the FO. 

Surtain would give the Eagles a true outside corner with elite potential to pair with Slay and the oppertunity to move Maddox back to nickel where he belongs.

2) Chazz Surratt, LB, UNC

6-3ft QB turned off ball LB with great instincts and athletisism. 

2) Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State;

Do it all safety blanket for a QB with great hands and elite route running abilities. The Jefferson, Kupp, Allen, Thomas type.

2) Patrick Jones, DE, Pitt;

Developmental DE with a ton of upside. Will start as a rotational pass rusher like Josh Sweat next year but will push for a starting role in 2022.

3) Alec Lindstrom, OC/OG, Boston College;

Kelce’s heir. Seumalo will stay at LG.

5) Cary Angeline, TE, NC State;

No.2 TE behind Goedert.

5) Shawn Davis, S, UFC;

Rangy centerfielder. No.3 safety behind Wallace and McLeod. The latter’s heir hopefully and otherwise there’s always next year to address the position properly.

5) Kennedy Brooks, RB, Oklahoma;

No nonsense physical runner to complement Sanders.

6) Kobie Whiteside, DT, Missouri;

Size (6.0ft, sub 300 lbs) is the issue, not his motor and ability.

7) BPA.

• Like 2

My word! What a draft! I love some of these moves.

So just to clarify...

Going in to next season you see our starters being.

Offense:

QB: Wentz

OL: Dillard, Seumalo, Lindstrom, Brooks, Lane

RB: Sanders, Scott and K.Brooks.

WR: Reagor, Olave, Ward, Hightower(?), Watkins (?), JJAW(?)

TE: Goedert , Angeline

Defense:

DL: Barnett, Jackson, Hargrave, BG/Jones

LB: Edwards, Surratt,

Safety: McLeod, Wallace? 

Corners: Slay, Surtain, Maddox/LeBlanc

See based on that I like it a lot and there's a lot of new fresh faces BUT... I think we need to clear sufficient cap to bring in some FA guys I really do.

37 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My word! What a draft! I love some of these moves.

So just to clarify...

Going in to next season you see our starters being.

Offense:

QB: Wentz

OL: Dillard, Seumalo, Lindstrom, Brooks, Lane

RB: Sanders, Scott and K.Brooks.

WR: Reagor, Olave, Ward, Hightower(?), Watkins (?), JJAW(?)

TE: Goedert , Angeline

Defense:

DL: Barnett, Jackson, Hargrave, BG/Jones

LB: Edwards, Surratt,

Safety: McLeod, Wallace? 

Corners: Slay, Surtain, Maddox/LeBlanc

See based on that I like it a lot and there's a lot of new fresh faces BUT... I think we need to clear sufficient cap to bring in some FA guys I really do.

Don’t forget Sweat at DE and Driscoll at OT/OG btw. But yeah, that’s about it...

Getting a ton under the cap will be nearly impossible IMO. By trading/not re-signing Cox, Ertz, Jeffrey, DJax, Mills we might just hit the breakeven point and maybe a tad under the cap. Just enough to sign a couple of relatively cheap FA’s and our rookies.

So whether it’s Howie or some other GM running the show, it’ll be all about the draft for us to add young talent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Don’t forget Sweat at DE and Driscoll at OT/OG btw. But yeah, that’s about it...

Getting a ton under the cap will be nearly impossible IMO. By trading/not re-signing Cox, Ertz, Jeffrey, DJax, Mills we might just hit the breakeven point and maybe a tad under the cap. Just enough to sign a couple of relatively cheap FA’s and our rookies.

So whether it’s Howie or some other GM, it’ll be all about the draft for us to add young talent.

And hey look we have to view this as a longer term project. This team can't be rebuilt in a year or possibly even 2! It is going to take time and so we can't have quality at all positions from just 1 single draft...

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And hey look we have to view this as a longer term project. This team can't be rebuilt in a year or possibly even 2! It is going to take time and so we can't have quality at all positions from just 1 single draft...

My thoughts exactly!

Although still good, our DL will no doubt be weaker without Cox in the line up. Then again, our LB core will be better with the addition of Surratt and both Taylor and Bradley entering their second year.

By adding the best corner in the draft, you won’t have to worry about the position for a while. Huge upgrade IMO.

Safety is about the same depending on the development of Wallace. Can’t address everything in one offseason, bud! Have to start somewhere and IMO you’d balance things out better this way, at least on that side of the ball.

On offense we still have to deal with Wentz and kinda the same OL and weapons. Hopefully the new regime brings in a great QB guru to light a fire under Wentz’s a**.

• Like 1

@Ray75 's 1st Mock - in a year when the world has changed beyond recognition, it's nice to know that we can still rely on something! :lol:

Love your draft - addressing CB/LB early is a great idea, especially guys like Surtain and Surratt who can contribute/make a difference straight away.

Tell me Ray, does Jim Schwartz figure in your Brave New Eagles World?  

26 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

@Ray75 's 1st Mock - in a year when the world has changed beyond recognition, it's nice to know that we can still rely on something! :lol:

Love your draft - addressing CB/LB early is a great idea, especially guys like Surtain and Surratt who can contribute/make a difference straight away.

Tell me Ray, does Jim Schwartz figure in your Brave New Eagles World?  

Thx buddy! LOL

No one will survive a 4-11-1 season, especially Doug, Jim and Howie. I’m talking about a complete overhaul from the FO to the coaching staff. 

But Howie is the one responsable for this mess. He should be the first to get fired. My fear is that Doug and Jim take the fall but slippery Howie escapes again. Big mistake IMO. He should be the first domino to fall...

19 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Safety is about the same depending on the development of Wallace. Can’t address everything in one offseason, bud! Have to start somewhere and IMO you’d balance things out better this way, at least on that side of the ball.

You can't do it all no. But it's why we would need to free up some cap space just to bring in some half decent bodies at some positions just to give us a little something. 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can't do it all no. But it's why we would need to free up some cap space just to bring in some half decent bodies at some positions just to give us a little something. 

Again...we’re about 80 mln over the cap. Trading Cox and Ertz would save you roughly 35 mln and letting Alshon and DJax walk about 24 mln. Those moves are stil not getting you under the cap. You get what I’m saying?!

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It just feels like Howie went all in from a financial perspective in the hope this DL could take over entire games and the addition of Slay would be just enough for the 2nd and 3rd line of defense to hold the fort in case of a breakdown. In the process he totally devaluated the LB position completely...again! But that’s also on Schwartz...

I would have offered one of the top FA LB’s a lucrative contract instead of giving Hargrave one but that’s just me.

Then again...the Hargrave signing could be a blessing in disguise! It gives us the flexibility of trading Cox and possibly letting Jackson walk after the season. Feels like a tactical move.

On offense he used the draft to add speed at WR. I’m high on Reagor but those other acquisitions haven’t shown anything yet.

The Hurts pick is baffling with Kristian Fulton and Logan Wilson still on the board. Probably a strategical move, a backup plan in case CW doesn’t pan out.

Akeem Davis-Gaither was still on the board in the 3rd when they picked Davion Taylor who I had a late 4th- early 5th round grade on.

Lousy evaluation IMO.

32 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Again...we’re about 80 mln over the cap. Trading Cox and Ertz would save you roughly 35 mln and letting Alshon and DJax walk about 24 mln. Those moves are stil not getting you under the cap. You get what I’m saying?!

I'm just merely pointing out you need bodies bud that's all. I'm not saying they have to be good players but you need bodies. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm just merely pointing out you need bodies bud that's all. I'm not saying they have to be good players but you need bodies. 

I keep thinking about the reasoning behind the Hurts selection. What does Carson lack and Hurts has plenty of?!

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

59 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I keep thinking about the reasoning behind the Hurts selection. What does Carson lack and Hurts has plenty of?!

- High-character leader who guided Alabama and Oklahoma to College Football Playoff berths. 

- Dual-threat quarterback who rushed for nearly 1,300 yards and 20 touchdowns at Oklahoma while throwing for 3,851 yards and 32 touchdowns. 

- Carves up defenses on intermediate and short passes; excellent timing with enough arm strength to fit the ball into tight windows.

- Efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over.

- Powerful runner who has speed, vision and balance in the open field.

- Tough, durable, team-first player who handled benching at Alabama with class and humility;

- Very good thrower on the move; can create on off-platform throws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

- High-character leader who guided Alabama and Oklahoma to College Football Playoff berths. 

- Dual-threat quarterback who rushed for nearly 1,300 yards and 20 touchdowns at Oklahoma while throwing for 3,851 yards and 32 touchdowns. 

- Carves up defenses on intermediate and short passes; excellent timing with enough arm strength to fit the ball into tight windows.

- Efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over.

- Powerful runner who has speed, vision and balance in the open field.

- Tough, durable, team-first player who handled benching at Alabama with class and humility;

- Very good thrower on the move; can create on off-platform throws.

Ok... What's your point bud?

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok... What's your point bud?

Jalen Hurts is exactly the type of guy they thought they were getting when they selected CW. He just isn’t ready yet...

What if there was doubt Carson could be the guy but FO didn’t have any other choice to sign him to a contract (it would be embarrassing to admit you gave up all those draft picks to land CW for nothing, right). What if all those locker room rumors are actually true and there is disconnect between CW and a bunch of players/albeit the entire locker room? What if the classy players and true leaders on this team feel the same but didn’t want to throw CW under the bus? What if Carson’s character isn’t matching what FO, players and coaching staff envisioned for the team? What if the nightmare of being wrong about him for years has finally become a reality in 2020?!

What if they’re secretly grooming Jalen Hurts to be the next franchise QB but can’t publically admit it?

Food for thought?!

41 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

What if they’re secretly grooming Jalen Hurts to be the next franchise QB but can’t publically admit it?

But you can't move on from Carson for a couple of years... You can't sit Hurts for a couple of years as that does him no good. 

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But you can't move on from Carson for a couple of years... You can't sit Hurts for a couple of years as that does him no good. 

Ever considered they were banking on him to have a good season or two and might be planning to trade him after those for a King’s ransom if they still feel the same about him as their longterm option at QB?!

By that time Hurts is probably ready with two years left on his rookie deal.

6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Ever considered they were banking on him to have a good season or two and might be planning to trade him after those for a King’s ransom if they still feel the same about him as their longterm option at QB?!

By that time Hurts is probably ready with two years left on his rookie deal.

Trade who for a kings ransom?

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Trade who for a kings ransom?

Wentz of course!

6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Wentz of course!

When? 2 years time? When your supposed back up has sat on the sidelines for 2-3 years?

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

When? 2 years time? When your supposed back up has sat on the sidelines for 2-3 years?

Yes, yes, yes...wouldn’t be the first time that happened! Look no further than Cousins who sat behind RG3 for two years, Rodgers who sat behind Favre for two...

Come on, buddy! Bare with me!

Lets assume the entire building likes Wentz but they do have some doubts.

He showed great poise at the end of the season and was awesome in 2017 so there is reason for optimism. 

This offseason they were in no position to give up on Wentz. They didn’t have the picks to draft a new franchise QB, weren’t  even in position to think about that, didn’t have a lot of cap space to sign a FA and even if they did, the FA class was pretty underwhelming to begin with.

So they gave Wentz a new contract early knowning all too well that it would be reasonable for a franchise QB.

They gave him new speedy weapons in the hope he could capture his late 2019 form and add some.

But there’s still doubt he could be the one even if he plays up to his potential.

His contract is constructed in the way that it’s impossible to trade him next year but in 2022 they would save a ton even taking on the dead money if they did.

If by that time they’re still not 100 % convinced Carson is the guy, they could easily trade him for a bunch of high draft picks and roll with Hurts, who by that time will probably be ready.

If this was the plan, it’s extremely backfiring now. The banking on CW playing good/great has been the key all along. Nobody could have forseen CW playing this bad!

I’m not saying there’s truth to this theory but it’s something to keep in the back of your head for the near future.

With a new HC I'd imagine a new DC. I also think we could see Mills back at safety and McLeod gone, giving us a Mills/Wallace duo, especially if Schwartz stays. 

22 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

With a new HC I'd imagine a new DC. I also think we could see Mills back at safety and McLeod gone, giving us a Mills/Wallace duo, especially if Schwartz stays. 

Hmm... Mills at deep safety? Or Wallace? 

27 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I don’t think Schwartz or any other coach except for maybe a position one stays if we end up with a 4-11-1 record..

In fact; if we only have 4 wins to show for at the end of the season, I want Lurie to blow it all up and start a rebuild with the few pieces they’ve left.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm... Mills at deep safety? Or Wallace? 

Given the Wentz theory some thought?!