Jalen Mills Back at Corner.

EazyEaglez

34 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

All of this:

Facts:

1) Maddox is bad at outside corner. He always has been. He's much better at either safety or the nickel.

2) We have no depth at outside corner.

3) Mills was not working at safety. 

4) Mills is a legitimate starting outside cornerback and was one on a Super Bowl winning team. He's not great and bites on double moves etc, but he's a baller and we can give him help with Slay on the other side.

Spot on bud! Spot on. Most of us saw that Maddox at outside corner was going to be a problem and so far he has been pretty poor. I like him as a player and still maintain that he played best for this team at safety so I would like to see him tried there again.

He had a good game, we will see how much of that was Mullens being awful and how much was his coverage. Slay is still the only CB on this team that I trust. 

I did think Wallace held his own at safety considering it was his first start. Even the catch Kittle made when Wallace was on him later in the game he stayed with him pretty well. Just a good throw and Kittle is a monster. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

He had a good game, we will see how much of that was Mullens being awful and how much was his coverage. Slay is still the only CB on this team that I trust. 

I did think Wallace held his own at safety considering it was his first start. Even the catch Kittle made when Wallace was on him later in the game he stayed with him pretty well. Just a good throw and Kittle is a monster. 

Kittle rag dolled every defender he caught the ball against. That dude is on another level compared to Ertz. Hopefully after this game he lowers his contract expectations. Same time the DC couldn’t double the guy? He was killing us. As far as Mills goes well it was his first game back at corner and he was already better than Maddox and better than he was at safety. I want to see more of Wallace. I didn’t think he was bad or good. I thought MecLeod had a decent game, but the defense as a whole missed a lot of tackles out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Spot on bud! Spot on. Most of us saw that Maddox at outside corner was going to be a problem and so far he has been pretty poor. I like him as a player and still maintain that he played best for this team at safety so I would like to see him tried there again.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Yeah look Mills is what he is. He will get beat at times, especially on double moves, but he can play corner and he's definitely better than any alternatives.

Think UK and I were talking before the season about it being great if Wallace could be good enough to start so we can move Mills back to CB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah look Mills is what he is. He will get beat at times, especially on double moves, but he can play corner and he's definitely better than any alternatives.

Think UK and I were talking before the season about it being great if Wallace could be good enough to start so we can move Mills back to CB.

For years now people have been clamoring for Mills to play safety, and if we are being honest it didn’t look good. He’s never going to be an elite guy, but the Eagles could do far worse at corner than him. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

For years now people have been clamoring for Mills to play safety, and if we are being honest it didn’t look good. He’s never going to be an elite guy, but the Eagles could do far worse at corner than him. 

Whenever we have a corner who can't run that fast but can tackle - people want to move him to safety.

• Like 1

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Whenever we have a corner who can't run that fast but can tackle - people want to move him to safety.

Yeah they were the same way with Rasul. 

30 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

This and...

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

This.

Long term it would be preferable if we could draft a young corner to take over as the #1 once Slay moves on and then also draft another young guy to be the long term #2. In the meantime though we should put players in a position to succeed. Mills can 'succeed' at corner opposite Slay and Maddox, once healthy, would be better to play either in the slot (cut NRC who's been pretty poor) or at safety.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This and...

This.

Long term it would be preferable if we could draft a young corner to take over as the #1 once Slay moves on and then also draft another young guy to be the long term #2. In the meantime though we should put players in a position to succeed. Mills can 'succeed' at corner opposite Slay and Maddox, once healthy, would be better to play either in the slot (cut NRC who's been pretty poor) or at safety.

One of the guys I really wanted who was still there in the second was Kristian Fulton. He's been pretty good for the Titans already.

But no - we had to pick a back-up QB who can play in certain fumbletastic packages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

At least we have Slay. It’s been a while since we had a guy that legit. 

Slay is the man

15 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

So is this an admission that he sucks at safety 

No doubt, he's gonna look bad no matter where he plays, he doesn't belong in the NFL.

I just don't understand why Pederson doesn't cut him, he's the HC.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I was 1 of them. Look at his "strengths"..tackling and underneath coverages. He doesn't shy away from contact like Darby use to. And.. he played S in college. It made sense on paper. Mills is NOT a "ballhawk". He's not going to "flash"... but he tries hard and works hard.

And unlike the other guy posting here..I don't give a damn what he does before the game.. during the anthem.. or after the play.

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Reported on the radio just now and I have to say it needed to happen, because they are hurting at the position and I think when Maddox comes back he should move to safety. At least he didn't ask for more money to switch positions. Mills is the best they got right now, but he better be ready cause they will come at him. At least he can get some safety help.

I guess he's the best option at CB outside of Slay obviously.  But that just means we have nobody else at CB and are awful at that position.  Mills should not be in the NFL as a CB or Safety.  Good dude and I know he plays hard but he isnt very good.  Maybe the CFL or XFL might be better for him.

I do agree that Maddox might be better off at Safety.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I guess he's the best option at CB outside of Slay obviously.  But that just means we have nobody else at CB and are awful at that position.  Mills should not be in the NFL as a CB or Safety.  Good dude and I know he plays hard but he isnt very good.  Maybe the CFL or XFL might be better for him.

I do agree that Maddox might be better off at Safety.

Mills was fin last night. I think he’s effective when he has over the top help. He’s the second best option on the outside they have right now. 

58 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Mills was fin last night. I think he’s effective when he has over the top help. He’s the second best option on the outside they have right now. 

I know and that's not saying much.

13 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I know and that's not saying much.

Well he’s a 7th round pick for a team that drafted corners in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round. This team also traded a 3rd round plus Matthews, and traded Torrey Smith for another corner in his time being here and he outlasted and was better than all of them. Heck for 2 years people wanted Jones to start even though the guy never once earned it. I’ve watched this team go through a lot of bad corners since the Lito, Sheldon era. Mills is better than all of those guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

One of the guys I really wanted who was still there in the second was Kristian Fulton. He's been pretty good for the Titans already.

But no - we had to pick a back-up QB who can play in certain fumbletastic packages.

Would have been a really good pick that. May develop in to a really good #1 corner, may be a very very good #2 corner. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well he’s a 7th round pick for a team that drafted corners in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round. This team also traded a 3rd round plus Matthews, and traded Torrey Smith for another corner in his time being here and he outlasted and was better than all of them. Heck for 2 years people wanted Jones to start even though the guy never once earned it. I’ve watched this team go through a lot of bad corners since the Lito, Sheldon era. Mills is better than all of those guys. 

Mills is the best of all the bad CBs we've had is what I think you're saying?  Again that's not saying much.  We need to do better at bringing in CB talent, no question about it.

I agree Mills is ok in short yardage, throws but asking him to cover anybody down the field usually ends in disaster.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Mills is the best of all the bad CBs we've had is what I think you're saying?  Again that's not saying much.  We need to do better at bringing in CB talent, no question about it.

I agree Mills is ok in short yardage, throws but asking him to cover anybody down the field usually ends in disaster.

But if you can scheme to help him out then I think he's a decent corner. If you bring the safety over to help him, because Slay has his guy locked down, then you can get away with it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

We shouldn’t have any situation where Mills is one on one downfield. Our line is paid a lot of money to ensure that shouldn’t happen. If Schwartz is scheming for that then he’s more of the problem than the solution. On a side note some of those bad corners are still starting in the league so maybe it isn’t that they’re bad. Maybe it’s the coach used them poorly. I’ll also state Maddox is fast and if you have him one on one for an extended period time he would get abused too. 

• Like 1

It's funny Mills has outlasted Darby, Jones, Douglas etc etc etc. He also outplayed each of them in the SB. Some here act like he was a "high pick bust" or they act like we traded the farm for him. 

Being a 7th round "project" he outplayed Darby, Jones, Douglas and other CBs we had on the roster. 

"But he bites on double moves and gets toasted".

I remember Darby and Douglas getting absolutely burnt on plays at times as much as or MORE than Mills. Jones as well. Maybe.. just maybe.. the defensive system had a little something to do with that. I mean.. I don't recall Jenkins being known for "great help over the top". I don't recall Jenkins having a ton of INTs. As a matter of fact.. I remember a specific play where Mills passed Desean off to Jenkins and Jenkins sprinted in the wrong direction toward the LOS and Jackson went deep for a walk in TD. And I remember Mills running past Jenkins to try to catch Jackson. 

Mills had significant injuries and missed half the season the past 2 seasons. 

His numbers in 2017 compared to our superstar strong safety who was paid 10x as much as Mills.

Tackles: 

Jenkins 76 total 63 solo 13 asts

Mills 64 total 51 solo 13 asts

Passes defensed:

Jenkins 8

Mills 14

INTs:

Jenkins 2

Mills 3

Career sacks in Philly:

Jenkins 5.5

Mills 1.5

Mills has played basically 1 complete season over the past 2 yrs. 

In 17 games he has 83 tackles 65 solo 18 asts

This year Mills has just as many tackles as Slay and just as many solo tackles as Gerry. Mills has 1.5 sacks.. that is more than any other LB or DB. He also has 3 QB hits... more than any LB or DB. Jenkins played 96 games in Philly and had 5.5 sacks. Mills has played 4 games at the same position and already has 1.5 sacks. 

He was literally moved from S to CB and played well. People acting like a 7th round pick playing as well as our starting FS and other starting CB is a bad thing. Stats and production wise.. he's doing ok and can be moved from CB to S without issue. 

His stats basically match Mcleod and Slay.. and for some reason..Mills is horrible and the other 2 are just fine.

Am I missing something?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

So is this an admission that he sucks at safety and it was a bad of a move by the coaches or are we that bad at CB that they needed him back

What a great freekin question!

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We shouldn’t have any situation where Mills is one on one downfield. Our line is paid a lot of money to ensure that shouldn’t happen. If Schwartz is scheming for that then he’s more of the problem than the solution. On a side note some of those bad corners are still starting in the league so maybe it isn’t that they’re bad. Maybe it’s the coach used them poorly. I’ll also state Maddox is fast and if you have him one on one for an extended period time he would get abused too. 

If Schwartz is scheming for that then he’s more of the problem than the solution. On a side note some of those bad corners are still starting in the league so maybe it isn’t that they’re bad. Maybe it’s the coach used them poorly.

I can think of one ex-Eagle in Carolina that fits that description. This is why I'm not a Schwartz fan. He sure seems like the player has to fit his scheme rather than modifying his scheme to fit the players he has.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I truly believe that.  Part of being a good coach is using players to their strengths.  Some coaches have a system and they want guys to play a certain way when it might not fit their strengths.  This is the case with Schwartz I think.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:50 PM, What The F said:

He is ukn terrible. And anytime he makes a play, he bows up like his a tough guy.  Cant stand him 

As long as I've been watching the NFL I can't think of any player that I disliked more than Mills, his macho man routine is totally disgusting because he's such a wuss.......as a safety he purposely avoided contact.

• Like 1